Exclusive

UPDATED Glee Exclusive: Chord Overstreet to Return in December!

Trouty Mouth is getting reeled back in!

Fox is now confirming what TVLine first told you last week: Three months after his high profile departure from Glee, Chord Overstreet has signed on to return to the show on a recurring basis.

The deal — which closed late Friday — calls for Overstreet to reprise his role as the sweet, sculpted Sam beginning with this season’s eighth episode (slated to early December).

“We love Chord and have always said that we wanted him back,” says exec producer Ryan Murphy. “So here’s an early Christmas present for all the Gleeks—Sam is coming back to McKinley, and just in time for sectionals!” Adds Overstreet: “I had the best time on Glee and couldn’t be more excited to be returning.”

Glee Scoop: Major November Sweeps Spoilers!

Glee made headlines over the summer when word leaked that the show opted not to pick up Overstreet’s series regular option for Season 3. Producers invited him back on a recurring basis, but he declined. “They offered me the chance to come back for a few episodes, but there was nothing guaranteed so I decided to dive into the music thing,” he told TVLine in August. “And that’s been my main priority the past two months.”

It’s unclear how Sam will be reintroduced — we learned in the premiere that he moved out of state with his family — or what his return will mean for exes Quinn and Mercedes. While I suss that out, feel free to speculate in the comments section. And while you’re there, take a stab at answering this question: Are you happy Sam’s back?!

Want Glee Scoop and Spoilers 24/7? Follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, Glee, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. nikolas says:

Wow, you guys are d*cks. I like Sam, don’t care for Blaine. Have watched every episode, and Sam was the most interesting character of Season 2 for me. I think season 3 has definitely suffered because of Sam’s absence. The show is and has been, including the first 13 episodes of season 1( the best of the series) a mess. Ryan Murphy is a douche bag getting richer on the backs of every actor on the show. And I hate Kurt, otherwise known as:Jack 2000! The High School Years! Start the hating – I’m logging off.

2. Monkeyrat says:

OMG, I don’t even care why or how, but I’m thrilled to see Chord back to McKinley !! He was my favourite male character! Trouty Mouth FTW!

3. Lou says:

Yeahh!!!! I always thought he was more likely to stay on the show than Darren Criss. Yep, I said it! And knew he was gonna come back eventually as a guest star.

I’m guessing he’s gonna be either competition, or back for a visit.

I would really like him to sing “DJ got us falling in love” or “Moves like Jagger” Just saying….

4. gleeky girl says:

yessss my babayy is cumming back

5. Yuki Otawa says:

OMG its amazing so glad chord overstreet is coming back to glee it will be amazing cant wait for episode 8

6. Kim says:

Sam/Chord is cute enough. I went to three different high schools because my father lost jobs two years in a row – and I had little sibs to worry about, too. We never ended up foreclosed or living in a motel, my folks rented houses until things were a little more settled. I think there’s a lot more that Glee could do with this story. I also think that Sam might be the right character to bring Quinn to her senses.

Or, for that matter, Mercedes’ new boyfriend is sending all the wrong signals to me. He’s isolating her from her friends, which could be a lead-in to a BAD deal. I worry about her.

For those suggesting Kurt/Sam, I say no. Klaine all the way! It shouldn’t be easy for them – the thought of Kurt being off in New York for a year while Blaine finishes school in Ohio is one point of stress, and I haven’t even seen what Rory’s going to do yet.

7. Kim says:

Oh yes… regarding Sugar? Self-diagnosed for sure! My littlest brother has Asperger’s, and he doesn’t have the social awareness to say “Sorry – Asperger’s”. Plus, his tone is more robotic. Aspies have a variety of different interests. My brother doesn’t particularly care about people, he just wants to spend his time reading his fan-fic online. Sing? In a chorus? No thanks.

8. Bubbles says:

I find it hilarious how many people are bagging the writers on Glee – yes, we all have a joke at the failed continuity every once in a while, but I’d like to see you do a better job at running a universally popular TV show and franchise …

9. murley says:

awesome, i have missed sam. i love what a nerd he is. this is great news.

10. Amanda says:

OMGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!~~~~~~ Chord Overstreet *melts* Glee isnt glee with out him, it lacks trouty mouth-ness. He’s so hot *sizzle* :)

11. Leslie says:

I’m happy Sam has returned. I must say I haven’t been watching the episodes in time because I hate what Bubba/Shane is doing to
    Mercedes. So I will definitely tune in to see If they develop Samcedes in anyway, even if they just tell us why they were keeping it a secret.

12. Jennifer says:

SAMCEDES FTWWWW! Quinn doesnt deserve him she treated him like crap

13. Buffy says:

lol I can’t stand Sam. Why does he have to come back.

14. Luisa says:

Hm, QUINN AND MERCEDES WHO?! NANANA K U M ON!

15. K says:

I guess “Trouty Mouth” finally realized that his career was going to go NOWHERE if he didn’t return to Glee a.k.a. the trainwreck show that made him famous.

16. Brad says:

Everyone’s a critic. Do you people produce much series television? Then what the heck are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be working? This is about listening to what fans want. True Gleeks LOVE Sam, and are happy he’s returning. Wait a second, if you dislike the show this much, why do you watch it? Why are you even reading this?

17. c says:

ok i was reading through the comments….who ever said sam should be paired up with Sugar needs to go play in traffic.

18. aLessana says:

I’m sorry, what acting career? While he and “Sam Evans” are ridiculously cute, he is not a good actor, and neither is Cory or Mark. Don’t get me wrong. I am a fan, and own the first two seasons and I am delighted that he is back. But let’s be honest here. What acting career? Cris, Harry, Lea, Naya could have excellent acting careers!!

19. aLessana says:

I just hope they really don’t bring back Lauren Sizes, she REALLY is an useless character in every single way possible, can’t act, can’t sing, can’t dance, and does not bring anything special to Glee. Bringing her back would totally ruin what’s left of Glee

20. James says:

Chord finally bought a clue and realized what a mistake he made so he came begging. Poor poor guy, he should change his reps. Anyway, the only good thing about it, as I did not even notice him gone, is that they can get rid of Shane now and pop Sam into his place.

21. Rebecca says:

“Just in time for sectionals”. So Sam will be a part of a rival Glee club I guess.

22. Cassie says:

All I care about is Santana and her lesbian storyline!!! Santana for the win!!!!

23. kelley says:

I did too. havent wanted to watch but now chord is back i will tune in. Season 1 was great. Season 2 was good because of sam and samcedes at the end. Season 3 didnt care bout til now.

24. A says:

Since Chris Colfer thinks someone should want to steal Kurt away from Blaine, I think Sam would be perfect for the job!!

25. Pie says:

Honestly I hope that maybe Sam’s comeback could be also comeback to his original storyline, coming out. Reading some stories of LGBT youth and would it would mean to them really made me sure it would be a wonderful, meaningful arc.
    Klaine is having problems, Chris Colfer comments how there’s no one who would like to steal Kurt from Blaine… Maybe Sam could be that person?

26. LetLoveIn says:

I am so so happy Sam is back. He is such a lovable, caring guy. And he is a very good singer. I also love Chord Overstreet so I will be so happy to see him on my TV screen again :)
    Personally I hope Sam is given the storyline he was originally supposed to have…and that is him being gay/bisexual. He has never stated he was straight, just that he is not gay. And even if he did say he wasn’t gay…so did Kurt and Karofsky. His coming out story could help so many people who identify with him. Also he could break so many stereotypes of what a gay guy looks like and acts like. and if Sam were to be bisexual that would be even better because there are hardly any bisexual characters on TV and the ones I can think of do not put bisexuals in a good light.
    I think it would be the best storyline the writers could go with.
    This isn’t about ship wars(though I would love Kum to happen). It is about helping people accept and love themselves and helping the public understand and accept gay boys and/or bisexuals.

27. San says:

No1Care… Sam sucks

28. Jade says:

It’s amazing how so many people claim to be fans of the show…but all they do is bitch and complain about which characters are there and which ones aren’t…..I’ve watched Glee from season 1 and LOVED! everything the show has done. I’m excited to see Sam come back but him leaving didn’t stop me from watching the show. I too am tired of everything revolving around 6 characters (Brittney/Santana, Finn/Rachel, Blaine/Kurt) but it doesn’t make me any less excited to watch the show. Besides, all of these characters have to graduate eventually…..

29. João Rodrigues says:

I don’t miss him at all!

30. Frankie says:

LOL, Chord’s so unprofessional!

31. Marnie says:

If I’m honest I thinks it’s Glee’s diverse and ever changing cast, plots and story lines. Some people take Glee waay too seriously. Also I couldn’t be more happier that Chord Overstreet is back, I just hope Sam gets back together with Quinn! LOVE GLEE!

32. Society says:

Oh please. Do us all a favor and keep Chord off this show. His character was so boring and his acting was so poor it was laughable. Sure, he can sing, but so can millions of other people.

This is just terrible news for Glee fans everywhere.

33. Katttt says:

Ok I SO hope Sam and Mercedes get back together! They were so good together and I really hate the boyfriend she has now. A lot.

34. Cindy says:

I AM SO EXCITED THAT SAM IS RETURNING. LOVE GLEE

35. Zoey Evans says:

to all you haters above…. hush… gl has not gone down hill… its just getting stress full… on th othr hnd, yes i am exstatic that my sam will be back… he was my favorite :)

36. Candace says:

I for one am happy that Sam is returning. I liked his character and he’s easy on the eyes!

37. eric says:

Glee is gradually but surely getting its groove back. I feel the new writers are doing a great job and I’m tired of the negativity y’all throwing at this show. Yes, season 2 wasn’t great but every season 2 of any show is a bit off, trying to find its way. Be patient, loyal fan. A show like this doesn’t come around often and we need to keep it on

38. Kirsten says:

Okay, to those of you who say that Darren Criss “Blaine” can’t act, here’s what I say: shut up.
    I am a Starkid before a Gleek, but when some of you ignorant people say Darren Criss isn’t an actor and just a pretty voice: are you mentally unstable?
    Have you seen “A Very Potter musical” / “A Very Potter Sequel”? Have you seen “Little White Lie”? Have you seen him play Judas? Did you know he went to one of the most prestigious acting schools in America and graduated among the top of his class? You didn’t?
    I think you should do some research and see if his “lack of acting skills” is the writers fault or his own. I stress that you watch his other work, you will love him.
    Until then, keep your mouths shut.

39. mklmt says:

Dude, isn’t it obvious? Mercedes is pregnant with Sam’s love child.

40. Becca says:

Actually, to the first or second comment, this is the third season on glee not the second.

41. stw says:

How about sussing out this:

Why has the show dropped the character of Finn from his former, Season 1 & 2 status as a main character and given him, at best, a supporting role in the Finchel ship as Rachel’s sidekick boyfriend?

What’s going on with Glee? Why are they cutting down the few scenes they film of Cory Monteith so that virtually nothing remains? He’s had about 8 minutes of screen time in the first 1/7th of Season 3, giving him less screen time focus than any single character except for Jenna Ushkowitz’s Tina. Lest you forget, he was one of the two main characters in Seasons 1 & 2; it sounds like there is a story of some sort to be discovered and told there–what is it??? What’s going on???

While we know there’s a big Finchel scene coming up, how much of it will actually be featured in the episode (they’ve cut Finchel stuff out of 3×01, 3×02, and 3×03 already)?

And is is just a story about Rachel with Finn there as her boyfriend, or is it a story that focuses on him and his perspective and journey as well? When will we get the individual stories (yes, we were told he’d have multiple individual stories as well as being a part of the Finchel relationship) about Finn’s senior year journey?

Glee is making no sense at all. So far, it’s coming across as poorly cobbled together fan fiction stories that are attempting to throw crumbs to almost every fan base in the hopes that this will make enough people happy to regain the buzz and popularity and acclaim the show once enjoyed.

You know, the buzz and popularity and acclaim it enjoyed when it focused on the Everyman character of Finn Hudson, a small town boy learning that he could become more and be more and do more if he learned to believe, and didn’t stop believing, in himself.

Where did that show that the world fell in love with disappear to?

That’s what I’d love to have you “suss out” for us.

As for Chord, if he doesn’t produced a sustained fan buzz once he’s back, they’ll probably minimize him again–all Glee seems to be doing right now is applying a metric that attempts to judge online comments as indicators of what people like and using that to guide their storylines rather than creating original, awesome narratives that all tied together beautifully, cohesively, and compellingly like they once did. I seriously hope they get back on track and go back to doing what they once did, forgetting the fans and telling the story they set out to tell that made Gleeks of the world to begin with.

42. Mc says:

So excited SAMs back!!!!!!

43. Jade Renshaw says:

YAY! I love Sam<3

44. Catherine says:

heck yes im happy and i hope samcedes comes back as much as i love the knew guy because he treats mercedes right you gotta love samcedes it seemed like a more genuine relationship than this one :)

45. Angie says:

Glee almost died after the first sea son. They was no continuity, example: Puck and Quinn not talking to one another even after a BABY together! I hope with Sam back they can get back some of the humor that made us fall in love with Glee.

46. Jackson says:

welcome back Sam!

47. M says:

If you don’t like the writing, don’t watch. Pretty simple. And what would be even better is if all of you who know so much better than Murphy & Co write and produce your own shows! I liked Sam and am glad to see him return under whatever GLEE circumstances arise.

48. Rachelle says:

SAM IS BACK!
    I loved his character.
    Now, let’s get rid of Shane and get Mercedes back with Sam!

Samcedes forever! (: