UPDATED Glee Exclusive: Chord Overstreet to Return in December!

Get More: Exclusive, Glee, News, Scoop, Spoilers

Trouty Mouth is getting reeled back in!

Fox is now confirming what TVLine first told you last week: Three months after his high profile departure from Glee, Chord Overstreet has signed on to return to the show on a recurring basis.

The deal — which closed late Friday — calls for Overstreet to reprise his role as the sweet, sculpted Sam beginning with this season’s eighth episode (slated to early December).

“We love Chord and have always said that we wanted him back,” says exec producer Ryan Murphy. “So here’s an early Christmas present for all the Gleeks—Sam is coming back to McKinley, and just in time for sectionals!” Adds Overstreet: “I had the best time on Glee and couldn’t be more excited to be returning.”

Glee Scoop: Major November Sweeps Spoilers!

Glee made headlines over the summer when word leaked that the show opted not to pick up Overstreet’s series regular option for Season 3. Producers invited him back on a recurring basis, but he declined. “They offered me the chance to come back for a few episodes, but there was nothing guaranteed so I decided to dive into the music thing,” he told TVLine in August. “And that’s been my main priority the past two months.”

It’s unclear how Sam will be reintroduced — we learned in the premiere that he moved out of state with his family — or what his return will mean for exes Quinn and Mercedes. While I suss that out, feel free to speculate in the comments section. And while you’re there, take a stab at answering this question: Are you happy Sam’s back?!

Want Glee Scoop and Spoilers 24/7? Follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

Comments (402)

• I think it’s stupid that he’s coming back NOW. I’m happy that he’s coming back. I was really dissapointed when his character started having a meaning at the end of S2, and then he didn’t show up at the beginning of S3. He shouldn’t have left. The past few episodes with Mercedes dating shane (or whoever he is) made like little to no sense. I was just lke “Where did Sam go? Wasn’t he dating Mercedes, like in the last episode??”

Off topic, but i think they’re adding more characters now, because alot of the first characters are going to graduate like by next season. so they won’t be there. So that way, they can overlap some characters from one season to the next.

Comment by Abby – October 18, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Chord and Sam and I was sad when he left but having him back on the show isn’t worth having to deal with his awful fan base. They love to bully and they don’t care who they hurt. It’s going to suck having the Kummers back. I don’t like this, sorry Sam :( (I loved your singing voice)

Comment by Annie – October 18, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sorry but that’s the name of Chord Overstreet’s fanbase? The “Kummers?” THAT. IS. SO. GROSS.

Comment by AndyLuvr – October 18, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No… thats the name of the Kurt/Sam ship…. (not that thats any less gross)

Comment by Sam – October 18, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Excuse me but I am a Kummer and I am not a bully in the slightest. Neither is any of the Kum blogs I follow on Tumblr. We all do however get a lot of hate from other fans(especially Klainers).
      So please stop spreading hate when you really don’t know anything. It isn’t nice.

Comment by LetLoveIn – October 24, 2011 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Sam, but I only just got used to him not being there, and now they bring him back? Please make up your mind Ryan & co.

Comment by Jenny – October 18, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy about his return!! I actually stopped watching the show because of the whole Sam thing but I’m definitely tuning in again when he returns. And it’s cute how some people still think any of it was Chord’s fault but whatever. Also, for those who complain about how his return would be unrealistic, allow me to point out the fact that people like Jesse and Blaine were able to transfer to McKinley with incredible ease and the school administration there is a complete and total joke (literally). Sam returning is not a weird thing to see on Glee, of all shows, at all.

Comment by HT – October 18, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That time in the 2nd episode he appeared in when he said “i’m not gay”. Does that count?

Comment by ella – October 18, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not really cause he could be in the closet, in denial etc. Also he could be bisexual.
      In fact his original storyline was supposed to be him being in the closet and start dating Quinn, but then Kurt helps him out the closet and they start dating. So his denial’s about being gay actually fit in with our “argument” that he is in fact gay…if that makes sense?! lol

Comment by LetLoveIn – October 24, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s just tell the truth. Chord Overstreet can’t find a job because he is a mediocre actor and now he wants to return to try and get some type of press for his lacking career. Glee wants Chord back because they realize they’re mistake of hiring Lamarcus Tinker another non actor.

Comment by The TRUTH – October 18, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For what its worth, I actually liked Sam with Quinn. I hate hate hate Fuinn (Finn and Quinn) and was really upset when Sam and Quinn stopped dating as a stupid filler for Finchel. I hope Sam dosen’t return as a love interest for Mercedes, I know Glee is unrealistic but c’mon, two guys duking it out for Mercedes. In what world? Not even in Glee’s. Mercedes’ personality isn’t that appealing either. Still I would have liked to see Mercedes and Sam interact romantically but Glee should let that ship sail and maybe pair him up with Sugar? Or even better Quinn. Sorry, Quick fans. Die.

Comment by Heather – October 18, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally he came to his senses and decide come back. I missed him and so happy he is back

Comment by Ashely – October 18, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol no. writing lauren off was the best decision glee ever made.

Comment by jules – October 18, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forget about Glee, I want to see Chord Overstreet return to The Middle! I thought he was pretty funny, and I’d like to see him interact with Brick!

Comment by Mal – October 18, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sure he could do another guest spot but how would he work as anything more than a guest star? He’s Brick’s teacher.

Comment by Captain – October 18, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let me put it this way: I am willing to forget the entire insane roller coaster ride that was his contract and just throw a giant dance party.

Comment by RS – October 18, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fabrevans PLEASE.

Comment by J – October 18, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is good news…Chord adds a wee bit of “normalcy” to a cast filled with over-the-top personalities. Besides, he’s a cute guy and talented.

Comment by Linderella – October 18, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love the over-the-top characters, but I am happy that calm and boring Sam gives some balance… He is my 2nd most favorite male Glee character (after annoying Kurt) and would be a great replacement of Finn in Season 4.

Comment by Lily – October 18, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thrilled Sam’s coming back. With so many main characters, almost everyone’s “recurring”, so what’s the difference? This whole season (all 3 episodes) I really missed him.

Comment by JillyB – October 18, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMGlee OMGlee OMGlee OMGlee OMGlee OMGlee I’m sooooooooo happy I can’t believe chord overstreet is amazingand I was so upset when he left I can’t wait for his return!!!… Although it will be a tad awkward :/ GLEE IS AMAZING EITHER WAY!!!

Comment by Maddyloveschord – October 18, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ryan murphy is a complete jerk and he is the cause of the downfall of glee — with chord’s removal, that three main cast members would be the last year — I’m so happy that chord overstreet is back but I want to see more of him than just recurring, i hope they offer him what they were offering him before a chance to become a regular again.

Comment by jake – October 18, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing his pride left him and he realized he really didn’t have a career beyond Glee. You can blame the show for a lot but they tried to get him to stay and he didn’t want to. Now he wants back and they’re letting him return, I’d say they’re being pretty gracious considering. I just hope this means Sam/Mercedes can actually have a chance at a relationship, they had pretty good chemistry.

Comment by Captain – October 18, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d been enjoying Glee without him. He got one mention during the premiere and they moved on with life. It’s just another character that they’re gonna have to write for when they don’t have time to cover everyone they already have. He’ll either get no storyline and his being there will be pointless or he’ll start getting storylines and other people will get pushed into the background.

Don’t like this news at all.

Comment by Crissy – October 18, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSS! Sam is coming back!

Comment by Sam – October 18, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Except Mercedes isn’t pregnant. Everyone exploded after she was showing symptoms of pregnancy and Amber Riley had to tweet that pregnancy wasn’t why Mercedes had been acting as she was.

Comment by Spencer – October 18, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam was supposed to be a gay character. I hope Sam is bi or gay when he comes back.

Comment by GLEE – October 18, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just when “Glee” was getting good again esp. with “Asian F,” it does something enormously stupid and decides to bring back a worthless character who, as we see, is not missed onscreen as Sam’s absence does not detract from anything that is currently on the show. There are actors and characters who may be leaving at the end of the year and I’d rather watch them than Chord Overstreet try to sing (badly at that) by opening his ginormous mouth, which is the only thing that redeemed the Sam Evans character. This is seriously beyond dumb and stupid on “Glee’s” showrunners’ part.

Comment by Gerry – October 18, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okay Sam/Chord does not sing badly. No one on Glee sings badly(except Sugar of course). Also Sam is one of the best characters because he is so loving and caring and cute and nerdy and a lot of people can relate to him.
      A lot of people missed Sam on Glee and a lot of people actually stopped watching Glee because Sam was no longer in it…so he was missed actually.
      And he could have an amazing, inspiring storyline if the writers let him have the one he was originally supposed to have.

Comment by LetLoveIn – October 24, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ditto Dayana, who… oh, you know the rest :)

Comment by Lara – October 18, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam needs to come back and bring Mercedes back down to earth! She’s gone mental.

Comment by Tim – October 18, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I’m so excited! I loved Sam’s character. He was the only character (besides all his weird impersonations) that wasn’t completely off his rocker. Don’t get me wrong I love the rest of them, but some never seem to grow. But I love the show regardless of it’s flaws! Can’t wait for Glee’s very own “Rocky”!!!

Comment by K_Frem – October 18, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SAM IS GAY SAM IS GAY SAM IS GAY KUM KUM KUM KUM YEBHAFBDSUIGUF

Comment by ALLISON – October 18, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only reason they invited Chord back was because they figured out that it was a dumb mistake to start such controversy in the first place. Now the ratings have fallen into the garbage heap and they think that bringing him back will make everything better. While I am extremely glad he’s back, the creators’ mistakes are irreversable. Also, I am highly sure that some PR person told Chord what to say about his departure being his so called ‘choice.’

Comment by Somebody – October 18, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yessssssssssssssssssss. Samm. Yesssssss

Comment by Emmalo – October 18, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So basically he couldn’t find another gig and now he’s back at Glee? Oh well, I’m indifferent towards his character.

Comment by Kay – October 18, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been strongly opposed to the people that say glee is a “gay show” because of all the homosexual characters up until this point, but if the writers make Sam gay, which I have a strong suspicion they will, I’m going to have no choice but to start agreeing with those people. Just saying.

Comment by Holar – October 18, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chord Overstreet is an obvious tool. How is it that none of you fangirls can see that?

Comment by greg – October 18, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please explain further because I do not understand why you would think such a thing…

Comment by LetLoveIn – October 24, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I think his singing career didn’t turn out to be as good as he thought it would be…

Comment by you-know-who – October 18, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good, now he can come back and convince Mercedes to be herself, unlike her current boyfriend, who convinced her to become a bitch.

Comment by Braden – October 18, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam and Mercedes should return!!!! Samcedes is the best couple ever!!!!

Comment by Bruno – October 18, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SAMCEDES!! lol. I have been reading soo much fanfic about them… I’m glad Samcedes has a somewhat more realistic chance of happening!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Danielle – October 18, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the love of Pete:

Sam will NOT be gay, and I hope he gets rid of Marcus, I am all for personal cheerleaders, but creating a diva godzilla, I hope he stumbles on the way out.

Chord is a spoiled brat who didn’t get what he wanted so he bailed, and if he can tell me personally that it is because he was given bad advice, then I am willing to listen but until then it is all on him.

It was never stated explicitly that Blaine WAS a junior last year (“junior member” is not always equal to junior in school, for example JUNIOR Varsity squads are usually mostly made up of Freshmen and Sophomores)

Dave can be graduated and show up in the series, RM said that himself about some of the other characters, so there is no reason it can’t apply here.

Totally agree that the first few episodes have been rough due to new characters, recapping the summer and setting the tone for a new season. If you haven’t figured out that “back to basics” with so many characters cannot be done literally, then you need to find a another show, because I totally get a Season 1 vibe in the construction and spirit of the first few shows, they just need some time to settle in.

Personally, I am going to give them until about 6 or 7 to get into a groove and if I can’t enjoy the show by then on face value, I might panic…maybe I am missing something but it just isn’t about the individual characters for me, though I do have favorites, I am just enjoying watching my high school experience on screen unfold before me with a better soundtrack than mine had…

Comment by Viceroy – October 18, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obviously they will make Mercedes pregnant and make it a “Who’s the daddy” plot-line with Sam & her current boyfriend.

Comment by ncmacasl – October 18, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s about HIGH SCHOOL, which generally HAS NO DIRECTION….

Comment by You'reJokingRight? – October 18, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited!! I guess I have to start watching Glee again… or at least his episodes.

Comment by Angie – October 18, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s no need for him to come back! Ryan Murphy needs to stop writing for fans. No wonder this show sucks so much!

Comment by annie – October 18, 2011 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its going to be awkward with Mercedes then. lol

Comment by Guy – October 18, 2011 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually liked Quinn and Sam, he made her happyish and normal so I’d like to see them get back together. She’s not going to end up with Finn or Puck he made it clear that he wants nothing to do with her which honestly makes him a bit of an ass and I just think she needs someone I actually felt sorry for her in the finale when she said she just wanted someone to love her maybe Sam can come back and make her not crazy anymore.

Comment by Katie – October 18, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ouch, Ouch, Ouch, You want ‘Guest’ stars on again?…no thanks,
    Don’t think they did a thing for the show….just took it all away from the cast. BYE Stars. I watched so much less this past season because of this. Go watch their movies. Also, I am ready for new faces…like faces that look like they belong in HIGHSCHOOL! and not in their late 20′es. (Cord Overstreet welcome back) I am happy about the two new guys from GLEE PROJECT. Will welcome them too.. Interesting…Irish exchange student and the wild child with his braids. Could use something different…The story lines are getting to be TOO MUCH….the baby saga does not belong in a song and dance show. There are serious shows that can handle this much better and OK OK we are all OK gay wise. enough already. Yes, bring on some new faces. But if they are gay or getting someone pregnant…I am outta here.

Comment by Judy Notarthomas – October 18, 2011 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok first of all, the Same and Kurt this is NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!!! They did have the intention of having Sam with Kurt but decided to bring in Blain, which i love. Blain and Kurt are wonderful so all of you haters can suck it. I loved Glee last season but this season SUCKS!!!! I love Finn and am sooo tired of seeing him being used as Rachel’s lap dog. I would love to see Sam/Mercades and would love to have Sam back. I don’t know what the writers are doing this season but they need to fix it fast. Think about it, this time last year they had the Brittany episode, Duets, and Rocky Horror. Oh, and i totally don’t can about the whole “baby drama” totally lame.

Comment by Francescaaaa – October 18, 2011 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • First of all it’s Blaine not Blain.
      Second of all how do you know they aren’t going to make him gay/bisexual? I’m not saying they are going to…but how do you know that they aren’t? Chris himself said he wished someone would chase after Kurt as Grant is going to be chasing after Blaine, so why can’t Sam do that?! No reason not to…
      I will not comment on Finn/Rachel because this is a site about Sam/Chord so I don’t want to get involved in that right now!!!

Comment by LetLoveIn – October 24, 2011 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh My God! I’m going to have to start watching Glee again?! Get it right this time, Murphy, please and thank you.

Comment by courtney – October 18, 2011 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ohmygawddYESS!! <<3

Comment by Christina – October 18, 2011 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes,i am very exited for the return of Chords character Sam.He was my favorite character in glee and it will be nice to see him back in the show.

Comment by Sarah – October 18, 2011 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Trouty Mouuuth!!!

Comment by Pam – October 18, 2011 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh yes. I am so, so happy hes returning :D Hope he gets back with Mercedes!

Comment by Kiara – October 19, 2011 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yayy!! I’m glad he’s back! Except I really don’t want him and Quinn back together, they were both sooo boring in that relationship. Puck/ Quinn FTW!

Comment by katee – October 19, 2011 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL, look who’s crawling back now?
    On a more positive note, I’m VERY excited for a resurgance of Samcedes. =D