Exclusive

UPDATED Glee Exclusive: Chord Overstreet to Return in December!

Trouty Mouth is getting reeled back in!

Fox is now confirming what TVLine first told you last week: Three months after his high profile departure from Glee, Chord Overstreet has signed on to return to the show on a recurring basis.

The deal — which closed late Friday — calls for Overstreet to reprise his role as the sweet, sculpted Sam beginning with this season’s eighth episode (slated to early December).

“We love Chord and have always said that we wanted him back,” says exec producer Ryan Murphy. “So here’s an early Christmas present for all the Gleeks—Sam is coming back to McKinley, and just in time for sectionals!” Adds Overstreet: “I had the best time on Glee and couldn’t be more excited to be returning.”

Glee Scoop: Major November Sweeps Spoilers!

Glee made headlines over the summer when word leaked that the show opted not to pick up Overstreet’s series regular option for Season 3. Producers invited him back on a recurring basis, but he declined. “They offered me the chance to come back for a few episodes, but there was nothing guaranteed so I decided to dive into the music thing,” he told TVLine in August. “And that’s been my main priority the past two months.”

It’s unclear how Sam will be reintroduced — we learned in the premiere that he moved out of state with his family — or what his return will mean for exes Quinn and Mercedes. While I suss that out, feel free to speculate in the comments section. And while you’re there, take a stab at answering this question: Are you happy Sam’s back?!

Want Glee Scoop and Spoilers 24/7? Follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, Glee, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Emily says:

I’m honestly not that bothered either way. Sam was nice enough, but just not really that interesting – at least, not until right near the end. I hope, if they do bring him back, that they explore Samcedes more -that had potential!

2. Bellatrix says:

Perfectly happy. Chord is <3. I really missed his yummy abs. Oh my gahd.

3. Dessy says:

bleughk. I thought Glee was ‘going back to it’s roots’

4. Krystal says:

OMG I’m so happy!! Sam is the only male character I really really loved. Finn is an a$$hole so I’m so glad to be getting Sammy back!! He’s the sweetest! :)))

5. Annika says:

I have really missed Sam and I was really sad to see him go so in that way it is surely good news. But I don’t really see any way to roll him back in in a natural manner. And I agree with a lot of people that there are way too many characters to keep track with. It’s stressing and in the end it makes a lot of great storylines be neglected.

6. Paul Penna says:

Maybe he’ll return as a member of a rival Glee club which New Directions has to compete against.

That’d make sense if he’s back on a purely recurring basis, as other people have said, we already have too many other characters to deal with.

7. katie says:

AHHHH!!! MY BABY IS RETURNING. I love Sam Evans!!! HES MY FAVOURITE!!!! SO SO SO SO SO HAPPY.

8. David says:

WooHoo! I’m glad Chord is back! It was so wrong to build him up, with what I thought was a warm struggling family story and then just pass him off.

9. Ali says:

Is he returning to McKinley or as part of a rival Glee club? Will I get Sam/Mercedes back? PLEASE? Ugh, can’t stand her and this new guy, I miss my Samcedes.

10. jrs says:

Ooooh, can’t wait to see trouty-mouth again. This is so exciting!!!!

11. kn says:

wow, people are soooo picky. Remember the days when people could just enjoy a show? It ain’t YOUR show, Glee can do whatever it wants. Just take it or leave it. Anyways, glad to know Chords coming back. I enjoyed his character.

12. fiona says:

sams probably going to be in a rival choir for sectionals

13. Chelsea says:

Chord Overstreet is only coming back to glee to promote his album he’s been working on, guarentee. He is no one without this show and probably just realized it. He is known for being on glee and it’s the only way he will get people to buy his album that is probably not that good anyway. I lost respect for him after walking away from the amazing experience he had going for him.

• LetLoveIn says:

hardly any of the actors on Glee are nothing without Glee. In the sense that Glee made them known. Lea and Darren are the only ones I can think of who were known before Glee.
      But Chord had many many fans even after he left Glee and a lot of people would have bought his album and watched the shows and films he was in and supported him all the way. So he didn’t need to go back to Glee to help promote anything.

14. K says:

Please tell me Samcedes is going to happen. I really dislike Mercedes’ current boyfriend. And every time I see him, I get sad for what could have been for Sam and Mercedes.

15. I am so thoroughly excited to see Sam back. He made Quinn be sane for a little while.

16. RRK says:

I hope this is great news for Sam and Mercedes fans. I really wanted them to play that story out!!!

17. Shelby says:

I am so happy that Sam will be back. I haven’t tuned in yet this season, but am now looking forward to episode eight! I didn’t start watching Glee until season 2 and really loved Sam Evans character. I think maybe he had more of a following than the show realized. I’m glad they could work things out and bring him back. Hopefully both parties are happy…Sam fans definitely are!

18. Rb says:

I am calling it now. He has to come back for a paternity test to see if he is Mercedes baby daddy. LMAO

19. Robin says:

Ever since someone commented that “Sam always looked so bored” in the group shots, I became distracted by that upon re-viewing episodes. I wondered if Chord was bored. It seems to fit the circumstances of his departure. Was he directed to look that way (distracted by poor life circumstances of his character)? Is that just his “acting” style? Was it ‘bad acting’?? So many questions… I don’t mind whether he returns or not. He wasn’t a compelling presence positively or negatively.

20. Rico says:

Least favorite character, least favorite actor. This is going to be fun…

• LetLoveIn says:

Why must people always spread hate? You would think that since this is Glee…a show about accepting and loving and joy…that people would not do such things. It’s sad.

21. Sarah says:

YAYYYYYY!!! I LOVE SAM!! I am soooooo happy!

22. Brendan says:

I’m glad to see Sam/Chord coming back. People always seemed to hate on him but he was a good character and there was much more to his story. Glee and the fans always wanted him to stay on the show and no matter what the reason is, I’m glad he’s back.

23. Chris says:

NO1CURR.

24. Morgan says:

I cannot wait. My twittering timeline is just full of people talking about Sam returning to Glee. He was obviously the cutest and heart warming person on that show. I can’t wait to watch him on Glee again.

25. Deena says:

Maybe they will give him something funny to say. He was pretty amusing at times and I would like to be able to laugh at the show again. I feel like with the exception of Britney it’s just not funny anymore and I really miss that.

26. EWKLAINE says:

THERE IS A GOD.

27. Gemma says:

I was glad that he didn’t get picked up this summer… But since season 3 started I’ve been sort of missing him. Also it made me annoyed that they’ve paired Mercedes with some random guy – even though he seems nice enough to her.
    I have no real opinion, but I think bringing him back for a bit could be good. Potentially.

28. shippertroll says:

When is Matt from season 1 coming back?!?!?!? A lot of us Mattanna fans can’t wait!!! They are meant 2 B. Mattana 4EVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Catherine says:

my god…get over it SANTANA IS GAY AS IN A LESBIAN…you know a woman that like girls.

Its like all these delirous ppl that keep shippin Sam/Kurt. He is straight end of it.

anyway a crackship is fun but srsly

29. lovebrittana says:

OH MY GOD. THIS IS FANTASTIC! I MISSED SAM SO MUCH AND I’M NOT EVEN LIKE A SAM STAN OR ANYTHING! I’M SO GLAD CHORD DECIDED TO COME BACK!

30. Sarah Noonan says:

It sounds like the creative team behind the show is panicking, and I’m disappointed. It will be a shame if this once renowned, groundbreaking show ends up with a legacy as a complete flop.

31. Carmichael says:

ugh, thought he was gone for good. not happy he’s back

32. TheGetGo says:

I’m kinda happy he’s coming back. Not like super excited. But I just don’t want the focus to pulled off the stronger characters. I mean I would rather see story lines like Santana’s coming out, Finns struggle with future plans, Kurt & Rachel’s rivalry/friendship and how they deal with that, Blaine’s back story, Kurofsky’s issues, Tina and Mike’s relationship pressure, Quinn’s mentalness and Puck’s love for his daughter.
    So when Sam comes back I hope it isn’t at the expense of the other, more interesting arcs. Sounds like he’s gonna be a guest star though and not be in every episode so I’m not too worried.

33. Liz says:

And youre saying that Sam/Mercedes did work out? They were together a total of two minutes at the end of the finale, and even that was too much! Shane/Mercedes seems more natural whereas Sam/Mercedes seemed like I actually like seeing Voldemort and Dumbledore dating. Such a strange coupling that did nothing but confuse the hell out of me.

34. Cheyenne says:

Complainers are so obnoxious! The show is what it is, deal with it. If you don’t like it, don’t watch and don’t visit these articles just to bash the show… I,for one, am happy to see him return. He was a nice character and I’ve missed him.

35. Talia says:

Useless? Ru insane???? He ha the only relatable story line!!! Millions of people are poor and ur saying that’s useless?? Ya know not everyone has tons of money to throw around!

36. Sasha says:

I honestly could not care less. I’m happy for Chord, but I don’t think it’ll be anything interesting…maybe they’ll turn him bi and make him hook up with Kurt when Klaine go through their ‘problems’ ?

37. Lisa says:

It was tough but I took Glee out of the season pass after the last ep. Other than Kurts dad and Finn I dont like any of the characters anymore. And Finn hasn’t gotten enough screen time to make it worthwhile. Hope it picks up a bit, but Sam is not the answer.

38. Aj Jones says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Glee has sucked hardcore with out Samuel. The only good to it has been Blaine and he can only pull so much for the show by himself.

39. Vanessa says:

Idk how I feel about this……..

40. Géraldine says:

Well, if I understand well, Chord Overstreet comes back without being promoted as a regular actors like his colleagues (whose lately Darren Criss & Harry Schum Jr), right? And today, he ended to accept what he has refused 3 months ago, so at the end, RM and Cie won ’cause they could fire him whenever they would want… Stupid situation! :(

And for all those who think that there are too much actors/characters in this season, well, I will say that Chord/Sam will end to take Mercedes currzent boyfriend’s place surely before the Christmas break so, the number will be the same as seeing as no one saying something bad against Vanessa Lengies/Sugar until now, she should stay all the more, she brings entertained part…

I think the surprises aren’t over yet and that all what RM & Cie have planned to do on last Summer, especially for the Graduations, still could change (for example, IF Brittana runs until the end of the current season, it will be impossible to not make Brittany graduated …or just to separate the couple, especially if all the others Seniors are…)
    But maybe I’m wrong and they will screw the end…

41. abc says:

Phew! This show didn’t have enough cute white boys who played football and sang rock!

…oh wait.

42. Eddy says:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

HE’S BORING.

43. darrab says:

I MAY HAVE TO START WATCHING GLEE AGAIN. I only hope they know what to do with him this time and go back to his original (and good!) storyline.

44. Sara says:

wonder why he’s back? i’m kinda hoping him and mercedes get back together.. even though it seemed kinda silly that they were just randomly thrown together for like a couple of episodes, i don’t like mercedes current boyfriend..

CAN’T HANDLE WAITING FOR BRITTANA #brittanyforpresident
    brittany and santana all the f’ing way <3

45. Jay says:

Definitely a surprise… but his return isn’t unwelcome at all. Hopefully they’ll use this as an opportunity to really flesh out his character. It’d be interesting if there was a lot of conflict between him and Puck, as Puck made it clear he didn’t care for Quinn, just for the baby, and I could see Sam being the good guy who would both the baby even though it isn’t his, AND the girl. It’d also be interesting to see Sam try to take on Mercedes’ new boyfriend, but I doubt that will happen, as it didn’t seem like Sam and Mercedes really had that close of a relationship. So, conclusion, I’m rooting for Sam and Quinn.

46. Midori says:

As much as I enjoyed him and where his love story could have went, don’t waste time bringing him back. He quit the show, that’s his problem. Just move on.

47. AndyLuvr says:

WHY? The show couldn’t find any good use for him before and he was dumb enough to turn them down in the summer so why bother now? Sam was almost gay, Quinn’s BF, then her ex-BF, Santana’s BF, then her ex’BF, then the poster boy for recession and then Mercedes’s BF. Oh, and her ex-BF now too. They’ve tried so many stories with Sam Evans and none of them worked. Enough already!

48. SteampunkRoyale says:

Is this real??
    I want this to happen.
    Pleeeeeeease let him get back with Mercedes.

49. Annie says:

I love Sam and Chord, but I have already accepted him as Brick’s teacher! I can’t go back to seeing him as a high schooler.

50. Anna says: