Heartbreaking Walking Dead Exclusive First Look: Will [Spoiler] Die?

If you have yet to watch The Walking Dead‘s second season premiere, run to the nearest emergency exit. Everyone else, onward and downward…

Still recovering from the emotional workout that was Sunday’s 90-minute Walking Dead opener? Well, apologies in advance if the following harrowing image from next week’s second episode sends you back to Square One with a bullet.

The Walking Dead Season 2 Premiere Smashes Ratings Records

In case you missed it, the episode ended with young Carl getting shot in the chest in what was presumably an act of hunting and gathering gone horribly awry. Episode 2 picks up seconds later and finds Rick morphing into Father Protector mode…

1. t.t says:

I thought the deer would end up being a walker and the big reveal’d be that animals can be walkers too but him getting shot wow are they trying to eliminate the child actors? too much of a hassle working with children? lol

• jj says:

funny. i was talking before the episode about how they needed to kill off the kids bc they were going to age out of the show and you can’t just do a 2 years later thing with a zombie show. i mean, the audience is gonna want to know how you possibly survived for 2 years! but i was shocked when Carl was shot. At the same time, i didn’t care in a visceral way because the kids were annoying anyways. i mean, really? am i supposed to believe that in a world where you see zombies and death at every turn, you really are stupid enough to think your parents can promise you the grand canyon? i’m not sure how old the little boy is supposed to be, but i definitely would expect more from a 12 year old. i remember being 12. i wasn’t a complete idiot. and then Carl getting all “I think Uncle Shane is mad at me” because he was talking when they were supposed to be quiet. This kid is obviously not smart/old/responsible enough to go along on any real missions. they should’ve left him back at the road. He was bound to get killed.

• MichelleR says:

You’d regress. In a situation like that, kids would be looking for the comforts of an even earlier age, and a promise — even if they know people are lying — that there’d still be wonders w/o zombies.

• Tania says:

So jj, you were half an idiot? LOL

2. Dib says:

Seeing as the promo after the premiere showed footage of Carl recovering in a bed at the farm, I doubt he’s dead.

3. David F. says:

How is this an exclusive? Or a “First look” for that matter? It’s just a screen cap!

• KevyB says:

Did anybody else have this pic? That would make it “exclusive”. And a picture qualifies as a “First look”, does it not? Is English your first language?

4. Ryan says:

This was SUCH a non-article. -____-

5. adambramble says:

He doesn’t die just read the comic books.

• lee says:

the comics are only a VERY loose connection to the show
      even kirkman himself has said so
      one certain character in the comics never made it to the farm
      in show they do is proof

• wordsmith says:

They have deviated from the comics before, but I think you’re right that they won’t this time. A lot of the coolest emotional and plot moments in the series are Carl-centric, and I don’t think it’s worth abandoning those this early.

• Sharon says:

I think did die and I think the boy should not have wint with his dad

6. Mary E says:

The spoilers are in the comments!!!

7. Michael says:

I totally thought animals were going to be walkers…. haha that would be crazy.

8. CGRealms says:

We know Carl’s gonna make it. My question is: what happened to Sophia?

• wordsmith says:

I’d wager a large sum of money that she got noticed by the same hunter who accidentally shot Carl (probably Otis, if they’re following the books), and she’ll be waiting safely at the farm when the others arrive.

9. RangersFan says:

Considering they showed Rick carrying Carl to the farmhouse in the previews for next week’s episode, this picture and article are not spoilery at all. Nice linkbait, Michael.

10. Bethany says:

I for one, really hope that they veer away from the comics and let Carl die. He is very annoying and quite frankly, brings nothing to the story. Also, I cannot believe they spent most of the premiere looking for Sophia. I love this show and found this episode to be quite boring.

• jj says:

i agree. i understand that kids are kids. but i (unlike the writers) also know that kids grow up fast when they are dealt with harsh circumstances. you think kids that grow up in war torn areas of europe or the middle east are just like spoiled american brats? or even in our own country, that poor kids are just as bratty as privileged ones? NO! i think that most kids if they have gone through the crap that this kid has been through, would not be asking about the grand canyon as if they were on vacation and sulking that they weren’t getting the attention they wanted while another child is MISSINg and very likely DEAD. Unless they just want to explore the idea of the kid turning mental…. i could believe that, at least.

11. Diana says:

I thought Sophia was going to jump out as a walker and start eating the deer! Now that would have made this episode not quite a snore!! Too many commercials!!! No spoilers here I’m afraid. Old news!

12. Moe says:

I’m with others in wanting to know more about poor Sophie. Do they find her, iS she OK?

13. Steve Warren says:

Chandler Riggs (Carl) was listed in the opening credits, usually an indication that an actor will be in the entire season, not a “guest star.”

• Matt says:

Not necessarily. On the series premiere of The Shield, Reed Diamond was listed in the opening credits and was dead by the end of the episode.

14. Geo says:

This show feels like a completely different series than last year’s, in almost every respect. And the zombies suddenly look very… cheap.

15. Justin says:

Was just thinking last night that this kid actually wasn’t an annoying child actor, and sort of pretty good and adequate. I hope they don’t kill him, which they wont, obviously.

16. Pam says:

I am glad I did not click on this before I read the article! lol. I just watched the season premiere Monday evening and it was fantastic! I have not read the comics so have no clue but I hope both the kids make it.

17. James says:

Ausiello has so much good stuff to write. Why does he spend his time writing these non-articles? I feel like this site rickrolls me every time I click through to a supposed spoiler.

18. KevyB says:

This website has more whiners than any I have ever been to! Exactly how long did it take to read this article? Did it take even a minute? “Wah wah wah, just think of all the important things I could have been doing on Facebook during that minute!!!” Will you people not have the time to cure cancer now?

19. Dan says:

Wow, nobody reads any more? I know they’re not going to stick exactly to the comics, but this shouldn’t really come as a shock, should it?

20. uh oh says:

uh oh. from sarah wayne callies’ interview on tvline before the premiere:

TVLine: What is Carl’s journey this season? What’s that dynamic between mother and son?

Sarah: Carl (Chandler Riggs) has a really interesting journey this season, and it’s a shorter one than Lori would have wanted.

21. asdasdas says:

no se que escribir

22. Mariana vazquez says:

I love this show!!!!!and I think shane is a cutie;-) he makes me not wanna miss this show!!!