Ratings: Sunday Night Football Down, Pan Am At New Low, X Factor and CSI: Miami Score Wins

The Bears’domination of the Vikings, by a score of 39-10, fumbled some of the Sunday Night Football audience this week, but the NFL game still handily topped the night in both total viewers and in the demo. Averaging 14.5 million viewers while scoring a 5.74 demo rating, the contestwas down a third from last week’s Packers-Falcons match-up.

Among non-sports broadcast programming, CSI: Miami (10.51 mil/2.5) — as part of CBS’ first regularly scheduled Sunday line-up of the season, hurrah! — eked out the win in total viewers (over lead-in The Good Wife), while Fox’s “special” X Factor outing (8.65 mil/3.3) topped the demos.

The Walking Dead Season 2 Premiere Smashes Ratings Records

Other highlights, hour-by-hour:

8 pm | Amazing Race (9.3 mil/2.5) placed a distant second behind football, dropping 11 percent in the demo. In fourth behind X Factor, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (7.1 mil/1.9) was down a few percentage points.

9 pm | Trailing football, The Good Wife (10 mil/2.1) held steady while Desperate Housewives (8.24 mil/2.7) dipped 4 percent to match its all-time low rating.

10 pm | Placing a distant third behind football and CSI: Miami, ABC’s Pan Am cruised to new lows of 5.9 million viewers and a 1.8 demo rating.

ABC Orders Full Seasons of Revenge and Suburgatory

What were you watching this Sunday night?

1. Colleen says:

Bummed about Pan Am I am really enjoying it but I knew better than to get attached to an ABC show

• Snapy says:

Perhaps they should consider moving Revenge to Sundays to groom it to replace Housewives next season, and then move Pan Am to Wednesdays or Tuesdays. I could see Pan Am retaining much of Dancing’s results show audience.

• Meg says:

They really should switch Revenge and Pan Am. I can’t see them switching Pan Am with Body of Proof, but Revenge would pair well with Desperate Housewives.

• Tarc says:

I’m completely surprised about the ratings: Pan Am is a really good show with exceptional production. The writing is solid (or better), and it has style and panache that the recent Charlie’s Angels could only dream of. The casting is great, as is the acting, and direction. Sure, it’s a soap, but it’s got heart and great style.

2. Michael says:

Tick tock, the cancellation clock…

3. Jon says:

The whole spy girl storyline on PanAm is tired. Wish they just drop it and concentrate on the adventures and excitement of PanAm on the flight attendants and pilots in those days. We don’t need the spy thing.

• Sue says:

I agree with you 100%. The spy story is boring.

• Gretchen says:

Agree! Why does every show have to be a police/FBI/CIA tie-in?

I love the crime shows–the CSIs, Criminal Minds, Bones, Castle, etc. but with Pan Am, I am watching for something more light-hearted and fun.

• D says:

funny, i’m fine with the spy stewardess stuff precisely because i don’t watch those crime shows. she’s not solving crime, just merely enjoying her job and freedom, living in a world where the future is uncertain. i like her spirit. that’s more interesting than solving brutal murders to me.

• Amber says:

Haha, I agree. I have to admit I laughed out loud in the premiere when it became clear one of them was a secret spy agent. So ridiculous…

• jenna says:

agreed! Kinda ruined the concept of the show for me

4. Dianainks says:

If they moved Pan Am away from football nites, it would be better for the show, to Tuesday nites after DWTS drops the “best dancers and keeps the worst dancers and personality”.

• Dawn says:

I’m with you on this one. Tuesday nights is a horrible night for scripted tv without testosterone, i.e. NCIS franchise. Pan Am would fill the gap left by the move of The Good Wife to Sundays and would greatly benefit from a much better lead of DWTS results show. I really think that it would find its audience on Tuesdays.

• Hols says:

Agreed. Plus, it’s not like Body of Proof is doing much for the network in that time slot.

• fernando says:

Hold up Im sorry but Body Of Proof makes 9 to 10 million ratings which is one of the highest shows ABC so check again on your facts honey because ABC is making great deal ratings tuesday at 9/10 pm.

• Rebecca says:

Body of Proof has lousy demos, though. It’s one of the absolute worst ABC performers with the most important age group and is probably not going to survive.

5. Amy says:

Pan Am will be cancelled in 5…4…3…2…

6. Mehvash says:

Yesterday was the first pan am episode i saw that kept my undivided attention. the spy stuff is still kind of cheesy but i enjoyed the backstory of the the pilot who wanted to be in the NASA program. we didn’t watch live though…football was on. ABC needs to do some schedule switching or watch their dramas tank on sunday nights.

7. elysheba says:

My family and I turned off CSI Miami; none of us are kids, but that show, along with Criminal Minds, is too graphic with the violence. the torture of the main victim of the episode was bad enough, but the overtly sexual violence made us turn the show off pronto. I really object, and don’t want to support that portrayal. I am not a prude, but enough is enough.

• Gretchen says:

The CSIs and Criminal Minds are not meant to be “family programming.” They are crime shows, in the case of Criminal Minds, the focus is on profiling the worst of the worst. It’s not going to be silly light fare.

If you object, don’t watch. But don’t think that everyone shouldn’t have the option of those shows just because YOU find them distasteful.

8. Daisy says:

I really hope Pan Amm pulls trough, but I fear the worst. Last night was really good. Maybe ABC should try the show on another night. Tuesday or Thursday peharps.

9. Pearl says:

Man… Pan am will survive only because is a show about Pan Am. Its a comercial of 45 minutes. Since someone is paying, they will be on xD

10. nitemar says:

I wonder how many new shows will still survive by Christmas time. Some have been unpredictable, but the vast majority a sure thing to defunct, like Charlie’s Angels, and Play Boy Club. I was really cheering for Person of Interest but the main actor is so bad, they should let him go,or kill the character and start fresh. Revenge and Ringer are so so bcs of the mediocre writing, but so is Harry’s Law, but thanks to Katy Bates.

• HGG says:

I have the same issue w/ Person of Interest — I want to love it, but Jim Caviezel is so, so awful. Like, in the running w/ David Caruso for worst performances on CBS this season.

• Will says:

Caviezel is brilliant in portraying Reese! The writing has been great all around with the last episode blowing everyone away. Is vengeance worth it if it will irreparably change your life for the worse?
      “Which do you think I’ll regret more, letting you live or letting you die?” And the screen faded to black after this lengthy conversation b/w Reese and the rapist! YEAH REESE! I’m cheering for you man! Also don’t forget that wily Emerson’s character Finch, who is pretty intriguing.

• Kari says:

I agree with you, Will. It’s a nuanced performance, and you see Caviezel and Ben Linus grappling with the implications of not only their actions, but the actions of those identified by the machine. I’m completely smitten with this show.

• Renee says:

I disagree I think Jim Caviezel is great as Reece. An absolute badass played against type. Soft spoken, well dressed no overt machismo. The dichotomy is wonderful. I love this show and this character.

• Rebecca says:

I agree, Caviezel’s lousy acting drags down the whole show. He is abysmal!

11. Craig says:

@Pearl … you do realize that Pan Am hasn’t flown for 20 years right?

12. Snapy says:

I hope Pan Am gets a full-season pick up. I love seeing Christina Ricci on my screen each week.

13. Mikaylah says:

I hope ABC gives Pan Am a full season to find it’s audience. I really enjoy it.

14. KMG says:

I like the look and feel of Pan Am… the retro styles, the 60’s music, the peeks at 60’s culture, etc. The problem is, it’s a show where nothing happens… very slowly. I want to like it, but it’s just boring.

15. Ronnie says:

Pan Am has already been sold to several overseas markets. I think the network will give it a full season just to make additional overseas coin.

• Rebecca says:

Just about every show is sold overseas. Charlie’s Angels was, and look where it is now: cancelled! Airing in foreign countries doesn’t mean much if a show does crappy at home. How many shows can you name that did poorly in the US but went on to lengthy runs anyway because they were popular overseas? Probably none.

16. Mspenn1013 says:

The Good Wife was delayed in the Philly area about a 1/2 hr. We are totally clogging up our dvr taping an extra hour per week.

• Alicia says:

Is that so? It aired on schedule (the first time in weeks) in Chicago; wonder what that’s about…

Anyway, it was another great ep! And indeed, Celeste is quite the prolific “sh*t-stirrer,” though it seems like she’s gunning for the title “life-ruiner extraordinaire” or “destroyer of worlds.”
      Jeez, she was a wrecking ball last night, and that convo between her, Peter and Will was insane–LOVED IT! :D

17. mandy says:

Good to hear about CSI Miami! It has always been my favorite of my CSIS

18. Jeff in Co says:

Well…when you have games with teams that are stinking it up, you are going to have low ratings. Please don’t put the colts, vikes, rams, or any stink team on natioal tv. I wish they could start changing games in the 3rd week instead of after halfway!

19. Jake says:

This show is amazing…They are doing a fantastic job. Television is an escape, people are so way focused on “stupid reality based programming” that any use of ones imagination has fallen to the wayside….Remember that this is supposed to be a fantasy based on a particular time line and story. PAN AM is setting up their story lines etc. I think critics are being overly harsh and quick to judge based on limited data from a handful of episodes for all the new television shows. This cast is doing a great job with the time line of the show etc. Things were a lot different then and they are doing an excellent job of showing that. I feel this show is just getting started. Lets hope that it doesn’t end up like Charlie’s Angels a show that was just getting off the ground but because of harsh reviews and people pinning it up against the original was unable to make it.

20. fernando says:

Now that Charlie’s Angels is cancel it’s better if Pan Am moves to Thursday and just give the rest of Charlie’s Angels on sundays.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

I agree w/Fernando’s comments – Thursday at 8pm (replacement for CAngels) is Pan Am’s only hope now – ABC is (I would think) satisfied with the ratings on Revenge and BProof. Frankly, I’m not sure if Desperate Housewives is a 9pm show anymore – perhaps it should move to 10pm and ABC place a new show at 9pm. We’ll know soon enough – here comes Once Upon Time at 8pm this coming Sunday. If the overall viewer numbers on that show are 10 million +/- this coming Sunday, and Desperate Housewives cannot hold onto those numbers… that’s probably it for DH. ABC might be better off moving DH to 10pm until the end in May, and try another new show (Good Christian Belles?) at the 9pm hour mid season. Until then? It will be rough going on Sunday nights for ABC.

21. Jackie says:

I am really disappointed by Pan Am’s low ratings. In my opinion, it’s really finding itself. The last couple of episodes have been really good! I do hope they get the chance to improve with a full season pick-up. Any news on that front Matt??

22. James says:

I love Pan Am… I hope ABC gives it time…or gives it a weekday time slot…it’s a great show!

23. amb says:

Pan Am is ok. I also can’t stand the spy story. I think they need more Christina Ricci. She is way more entertaining than the actress in the spy story. Was worried about trying it since ABC cancels everything. They don’t even try to fix anything anymore.

24. Allison says:

I am really enjoying Pan Am and hope ABC gives it a full season to catch on. And also MOVE UT TO A BETTER NIGHT like everyone is saying. I would say Wednesdays but am enjoying Revenge for what it is, an evening soap. I would choose Pan Am if it came down to the two though. Maybe if everyone who watches would watch Pan Am live and DVR the others it would help? DVR doesn’t count toward ratings correct?

25. Pascal says:

Please ABC don’t cancel Pan am! It’s got Karine Vanasse, and she’s delightful to watch. It just needs to find itself with the perfect spot for viewers. People who watch Pan am probably don’t watch football… so of course it’s gonna be hard for pan am to pick up then.

26. SK says:

I really liked Pan Am! I hope it doesn’t get canceled.

27. Tammi says:

Watched nothing live as was working. My DVR is full of this seasons stuff. I watched the first episode of Pan Am and liked it but haven’t been keeping up. Same with Good Wife and Body of Proof. Desperate Housewives is blah so far and haven’t watched last nights show yet.I’m ready to let that one go. Only shows I’m watching live or same day are Revenge and Grey’s Anatomy.

28. MT says:

I used to watch CSI Miami every week but it has gotten too far fetched even for a tv show. First show of the season, how is H able to jump in the ocean swim under water hold his breath and get her out of the car just after he has been shot? Give me a break.

29. Wil says:

I totally disagree, my friends that watch it and I love the spy storyline. It adds a whole extra level of interesting twists and danger that would otherwise be lacking if they just stuck to the other stories.

30. Kristen says:

Pan Am is going to going to be canceled because it just sucks. And it has crappy ratings.