Exclusive

Exclusive: CBS' Gifted Man Casts Tom Wopat as Margo Martindale's Hubby

Emmy winner Margo Martindale has landed herself a good ol’ boy on CBS’ A Gifted Man.

Dukes of Hazzard‘s Tom Wopat is joining the rookie medical drama as the husband of Martindale’s Rita, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Wopat’s character, Len Sr., is described as a long-distance truck driver who spends most of his time on the road. He nonetheless has a very close relationship with his wife, who serves as Dr. Michael Holt’s right-hand woman, and their son Lenny (the recently cast Aaron Dean Eisenberg).

Father and son are both expected to debut in November.

A Gifted Man airs Fridays at 8/7c, on CBS.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. J.Norman says:

OOOOKKKK,

But I’m kind of wondering exactly how that having the office secretary (oops, Admin assistant) have a husband is going to make the ratings soar?
    I guess we’ll see.

• Michael Blair says:

After seeing the latest episode, my thinking is that ANY scene Ms. Martindale graces wil probably improve ratings. The emotions she brought to the fore were powerfull and evocative. The patience and loving concern when she was relating to the handicapped former football player was just absolutely beautifully done. And the shock stricken grief emoted when she was relating news of his death could not have been more real. I can see why she has won an emmy.

2. Gaby says:

Its ratings are not bad, after all it’s on Friday night…

3. bosey says:

I like the show,love Patrick Wilson but am over the Clinico Senendo storylines. Just wish there was more focus on his own practice and those characters. Am I the only one who feels this way?

• Eileen says:

I agree, I am tired of the storyline of the poor clinic, serving the minorities of the city and the rich, uptown office of the neurosurgeon. Does it have to be black and white? Why can’t they focus on varied groups of people who come to his office.

4. Todd Stein says:

2 things: First of all, I think Tom Wopat was cast because “Gifted Man” occupies the old Dukes Of Hazzard time slot, although I find the casting a bit strange.

I also saw an article that claims Gifted Man will be cancelled, if this is true, that’s a shame

• Jeri says:

I doubt a 20 yr old time slot had anything to do with an actors casting. I’ve had lots of favorite shows over many years but do not remember time slots or seldom networks. Do people keep track of old time slots?

5. Rebecca says:

Will the show last long enough for his episodes to even air? It’s not doing so well in the demo, even for a Friday.

6. ZmaX says:

A Gifted Man has a 1.2 rating while CSI: NY has a 1.7 & Blue Bloods has a 1.8 so that’s not too bad.
    and it’s also doing about as good as Medium did last year and they aired all 13 of it’s episodes.

7. maria says:

I like this show, watched it every Friday at 8:00 PM since it premiered last month. Hope the “powers that be” at CBS doesn’t cancel it, giving it a chance to establish itself.!

8. Tess says:

This is casting serendipity. Some of you may not be aware of this but Margo and Tom actually co-starred on a little known A&E series called, “100 Centre Street”. They were a couple — and they have fantastic chemistry!

9. Carolyn says:

I really like this show and hope it’s given a chance. Friday night is a tough slot and I have to admit I don’t watch it “live”; I DVR it. Still, I hope that whoever is looking at the numbers is considering those like me who watch it later.

10. I THINK TOM WOPAT IS A VERY GOOD ACTOR ON TV,AND VERY GOOD LOOKING MAN,TOO,CAN,T WAIT TO SEE THIS SHOW SOON,SIGN,SHARLOT,

11. LuciLu says:

I love A Gifted Man and the main character and all the supporting cast are outstanding. Please everyone watch or DVR this series to save it. I always get all my errands done before 7 p.m.on Friday to watch A Gifted Man since I don’t have DVR. The more viewers it gets maybe it will be saved and not cancelled. Sure hope so. I look forward to the next episode and future episodes.

12. marcia says:

I cannot believe somebody said TW was casted because of an old Dukes time slot. What? Has he been in every other show on Fridays at 8:00? Although everybody remembers him and the Dukes, nobody remembers or cares about the time slot! He is a good actor that’s why he was cast.

13. Sandy Krefeld says:

My husband and I love watching A Gifted Man. We hope they do not cancel it.

14. bruno says:

The show is improving by the week. This weeks’ episode was as good as it gets.