Exclusive

Blind Item: Departing Show Poised to Kill Off Major Character Before Big Finish

A wildly popular show is plotting a killer twist before it takes its final bow this spring.

According to multiple sources, the series in question — which, barring an 11th hour stay of execution, is in its last season — is moving forward with plans to whack one of its original characters just prior to the series finale.

And I’m told the exit will be a dramatic one, impacting multiple characters and storylines.

What’s the show? Who’s the victim? That’s for me to know and you to speculate about in the comments section.

But first, a few additional clues…

* It’s an hour-long series that bears the title The Closer. Or Desperate Housewives. Or One Tree Hill. Or Chuck.

* The character in question will die a hero/heroine.

* The death will definitely stick.

Ready. Set. Ruminate! Oh, and keep tabs on my Twitter feed — @MichaelAusiello — for additional hints in the coming days, weeks and months.

TAGS:
GET MORE: Blind Item, Exclusive, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Matthew C says:

My gut is that it’s Susan or Lynette on Bree on “Desperate Housewives”.

I think probably Susan. I also think that “Wildly Popular” means it has to be the housewives right? OTH is only popular with the CW crowd, Chuck isn’t popular at all and The Closer hasn’t been popular for years.

2. deedeedragons says:

i think a lot of people are forgetting the men of Desperate Housewives they have been there from the beginning as well people.

3. Sara says:

As long as it’s not the show Chuck. Could care less if it’s any of the other shows.

4. Ali says:

Oh crud, since Adam Baldwin posted this on his freaking twitter feed I’m totally nervous. It CAN’T be Casey! I want a damn spinoff! If he dies I’m going to have to buy the twelve pack of Kleenex at Costco and will need left over vicodin from my root canal to keep me somewhat tranquil until I get over it. I swear if this is true I”m going to be sooooo freaking pissed. I’m going to cry and freak out over a freaking TV show…..ughhhh…BUT, this would mean Adam can bust a move and get a new show, hopefully one with just himself in it (selfish, I know but I can’t help it,) I’m thinking Clay from SOA can bite it and AB can step into that show or find something fun. I could see him in something kind of “Rome’ish.” Anyways, he’s so good he’ll find something new but I’m still worried about my beloved Casey! If he dies it better now hurt him…..something quick and painless for him……WHY do shows do this crap? why do any of our beloved characters have to die? why can’t Casey enjoy his life and get a real car? Rambling now….

5. Mels says:

I honestly think it’s Casey on Chuck. People saying that Chuck is too light a show to do that? Well, Stephan Bartowski’s character has already been mentioned, but what about Emmett? I know he wasn’t really a fan fave, but when he was murdered I got chills. It was so cold. So, yeah, I’d say “Chuck” is perfectly capable of doing something like this.

6. Emily says:

I will bawl my eyes out if they kill off Nate on OTH. It says one of the original characters but its possible that its not someone still regularly on the show so maybe they’ll kill of Lucas, or even Whitey, Dan, Karen or Deb as there are rumors that all these people might make an appearance.

7. Lindsey says:

My first thought before I even read the article was someone on Desperate Housewives, and I don’t even watch that show. Second was The Closer. I wouldn’t consider Chuck or One Tree Hill “wildly popular.” Both have dedicated fanbases, but I don’t think Chuck is wildly popular by any means. At least it better not be Chuck! I’d be pissed if they ended such a great show, a comedy no less, in a sad way. I don’t know who the character will be, but I’m sticking with The Closer since it’s the only one that’s really “wildly popular” anymore or possibly Desperate Housewives.

8. kristine c. says:

any show please but not Chuck.

Although my gut feeling is this is about Chuck. Who? First thought is what most comment states: Casey. But I sure hope it’s not him. not now that he’s like a care bear! Casey deserves a happy ending. T_T

9. Eric says:

Nathan is not going to be killed off one tree hill, they woulnd’t do that. He is going to be kidnapped, and i bet Dan is going to save him and get shot and die. (the only true way he can redeem himself for kiling Keith) therefor being a hero for saving Nathan. It all makes perfect sense.

10. JC says:

This is a Desperate Housewives blind item. It’s the only one that is wildly popular around the world it still attracts around 80 million people weekly worldwide. The closer is only popular for those who has cable. One tree hill is not wildly popular anymore so is Chuck. My guess is that it’s Carlos or Bree because if Carlos kills himself the murderer is gone there is no case. If Bree kills herself the detective would finally stop harassing the ladies. Just my theories :))

11. Misty says:

My hunch is Dan from OTH. Spoilers indicated he will be involved in saving his sons life, so he might take a bullet for Nathan and finally redeem himself in Luca’s and Nathan’s eyes.

12. Melanie says:

I’m thinking One Tree Hill…most likely Nathan. It was granted the 11th hour stay and Michael mentions that it’s an “Original Character” who dies. One Tree Hill has changed their character line up drastically over the years…losing old ones…gaining new ones. Only a few original characters remain. And it has been rumored that Lucas comes back to help Haley deal with a situation.

13. Kelly says:

he states the show is bowing out in the spring – so it can’t be “The Closer” because it doesn’t wrap up until next summer.

As far as Chuck goes, I really don’t think they would kill any of the major characters off, the writers and producers want to do an Awesome ending for their loyal following, since this is the last reprieve they are getting.

Don’t know anything about one tree hill

My bet is on Desperate Housewives…..just makes sense for their show, as they regularly kill people off in very dramatic fashion.

14. Karen says:

DH = Mike

15. ane says:

I hope it is Nathan of OTH.

16. Liz says:

The ”11th hour stay of execution” makes me think OTH. The rest are all DEFINITELY ending, stay of execution or not.

17. Jay A. says:

im sure its OTH that no one cares about

18. Kat says:

I say that it will be Peyton on Oth considering only Chad Michael Murray has agree to return. No word on Hilarie Burton.

19. Luis says:

My inital thought was Casey, but I’m not sure killing a main character would be in line with the general light-hearted tone of the show. Since “The Closer” is transitioning into “Major Crimes” after it shuts down, a tragic death there would createa some kind of bridge between the shows. It would be incredibly bold of them to kill off the title character of the show, but it would be show stopper, literally. However, I am going to guess the fickle finger of fate will fall on poor Fritz, one of TV’s best current husbands, whose death will spur Brenda’s departure from the LAPD, and lead to the transition from “The Closer” to “Major Crimes”

20. Lori says:

Don’t know if this was pointed out, but The Closer will only begin (and end) in the Summer, and this specifically says “Spring” so it can’t be the Closer. Desperate Housewives is gone, no chance of 11th hour reprieve. So it probably is Chuck.

21. David says:

For me is Lester in Chuck

• kristine c. says:

aw. that’s still sad. but I guess it’s better than Casey? ahhhhhhhhh. but still I’m hoping this is not about chuck.

22. Zoe says:

Well, if Kyra Sedgewick is leaving The Closer, I’d say it’s her. Whoever her character is.

23. Nick says:

Dan Scott- OTH

24. otis says:

Has to be Brenda in the Closer. Since star Kyra Sedgwick has already announced she is leaving the show, why not kill her off leaving the spin-off with a case to solve as a season opener.

25. Dev E says:

Definitly NOT Des-Parate Houswives. Kiss of Death…

26. John_Casey says:

I hope it’s one of those dorks in the Nerd Herd department.

27. Kayla S. says:

My first thought was Desperate Housewives, before I even seen it listed, so I’d go with that. But on the OTH front, I have read that Lucas returns and for some reason takes Lydia with him when he leaves. That made me very confused but if Nathan dies… I could see that happening. Tho… I would assume Jamie would go too, but knowing him he’d try to stick around to be the “man” of the house for his mother. If it is OTH, just hoping it won’t be Brooke or Haley… I can’t handle another Dawson’s Creek ending. Not that it would really matter to me, this show should have ended seasons ago….

28. lacey says:

Going off the clue that it’s a wildly popular show my guess would be either One Tree Hill or Desperate Housewives. As for the character, either Nathan (OTH) or Mike (DH)

29. Ethel says:

My first thought was Casey from Chuck.But now that I have had 3 minutes to think, I am guessing Fritz from the Closer as this would give Brenda a reason to leave the show and move back to Atlanta. After all, it is about loss and we have seen Fritz more this season than in the last 2 combined

30. SPOILER says:

One Tree Hill comes to a dramatic end, with one less Scott in town.

31. B. Feraco says:

I was at “An evening with One Tree Hill” last night in Wilmington, NC. They showed us a teaser and put it this way…….Haley was identifying a body in the morgue. :(

32. Mate says:

One Tree Hill did it in Season 3, by killing off main character Keith, and they wont hesitate to do it again in my opinion. Its OTH.

33. Rachel says:

If Nathan from OTH dies I’ll freak out. I’ll hate Mark Schwahn forever. Seriously.

34. Nathan says:

My spider senses are telling me this one is Desperate Housewives, and my sources who I can not name for legal reasons can confirm characters are being killed off but are implying it’s not one of the 4 main ladies! So it might not be this show!

35. Ted says:

I believe it is Vanessa Williams on Desperate Housewives, she is the only one NOT pictured on the preliminary DVD release artwork that has appeared all over the web.

36. Lisa B says:

I’ve been thinking it’s got to be Carlos, because there’s just no way this story line can end well for him… even if he ultimately confesses, goes to trial and is found not guilty, his guilt wouldn’t be assuaged. And at the very least, certainly they’d all face charges for covering it up. I would much rather see the following scenario, for a sense of poetic justice and for things to, in a way, come full circle from the series’ beginning: for Paul Young to save the housewives and die a hero. I know he’s in prison, but the prison sentences on DH tend to pass in a heartbeat, so it’s not impossible. I just think it would make a great end to the series and create a great ending. The character of Paul Young has been the most fascinating to me through all these years ~ such a great mixture of rage and sorrow, and the most multifaceted character on the show.

37. Allison says:

I am pretty sure it’s One Tree Hill. I saw a sneak peek of the final season and it showed an episode where Haley is at the coroner’s office and is shown someone under a sheet…and then she loses it. I think it’s either Nathan or Dan.

38. C says:

Rumor has it that one of the series regulars on Desperate Housewives will die in December. Marc Cherry said he planned on killing off one of the husbands before the finale, and Eva Longoria stated in a recent interview that the Alejandro storyline will be resolved sooner than expected, so my guess is Carlos. I wouldn’t be surprised if Carlos ended up killing himself, mirroring Mary Alice’s suicide in season 1, especially since he’s drinking heavily now…

39. Jay says:

If you read the spoilers for One Tree Hills final season it says that Haley is seen identifying a body at the morgue. I think this could be the answer!

40. Max says:

I really hope it’s no one from Chuck!

41. Juan says:

It better not be any of my Desperate Housewives. If it were any of the husbands I really wouldn’t be happy either but not completely blown, Carlos would be my best guess.

42. annie says:

He said he would give additional hints over Twitter, has anyone been following him?

43. henry hayes says:

Yea im definitely putting my chips on either lester or jeff, but I could definitely see jeff having this final heroic stand, esp because if u think about the dynamic with either of them gone, I can see it lester still fitting with the group, but it seems like jeff wouldnt really as well

44. jlyons says:

I’m from the UK and out of all these shows, ‘One Tree Hill’ is probably my favourite. I think for it to go full circle in some way, it would be poignant for one of the main characters (not Nathan, Haley or Brooke) but for a character like Dan because I think it would give the end of the show more significance. If Nathan was killed off, I think not only would it hurt the fans and leave it on a downer but it would irrevocably damage what One Tree Hill was in the beginning up to the end of season 4 and the series that have followed since then. It would have a ‘Prison Break’ ending. Personally, its between Nathan and Dan, but at this point its hard to say. It could be anybody, not just in this show. Probably just building the hype for the reveal itself.

45. Lacey says:

He recently said that the death is female and the show is on cable. So I guess that solves that mystery.

46. rebecca says:

its one tree hill people are saying its nathan but i hope not

and why would they kill him of i mean thats just mean kill
    alex
    mia
    dan
    victoria
    mouth maybe
    just not NATHAN please please please

47. Kayla Cubbage says:

it can’t be chuck it’s finale is still in the winter

48. Caragab says:

My guess is Bree from DH, she is going to commit suicide!

49. AJ says:

Does anyone know if this was Mike on DH or Dan on OTH? Can’t these articles be updated after the blind item happens, to show which character and show it was about.