Exclusive

Blind Item: Departing Show Poised to Kill Off Major Character Before Big Finish

A wildly popular show is plotting a killer twist before it takes its final bow this spring.

According to multiple sources, the series in question — which, barring an 11th hour stay of execution, is in its last season — is moving forward with plans to whack one of its original characters just prior to the series finale.

And I’m told the exit will be a dramatic one, impacting multiple characters and storylines.

What’s the show? Who’s the victim? That’s for me to know and you to speculate about in the comments section.

But first, a few additional clues…

* It’s an hour-long series that bears the title The Closer. Or Desperate Housewives. Or One Tree Hill. Or Chuck.

* The character in question will die a hero/heroine.

* The death will definitely stick.

Ready. Set. Ruminate! Oh, and keep tabs on my Twitter feed — @MichaelAusiello — for additional hints in the coming days, weeks and months.

TAGS:
GET MORE: Blind Item, Exclusive, Scoop, Spoilers

1. claire says:

It can’t be Chuck. The spirit of this last season is to please and thank the fans, NO WAY a main character will die.
    I don’t watch the Closer and gave up on OTH and DH but my money is on the later. One of the four original housewives, probably Bree because she doesn’t have small children : I really don’t want to relive the Dawson’s heartbreaking finale :'(

• Charley says:

Actually I hate to be the one to break the news, but at SDCC they STRONGLY hinted in the Chuck panel that someone would die this year and it would be extremely shocking.

• claire says:

I know ! I’ve just watched it again ! It sucks !
        I hate it because it ruins the chance of anything happenning after (movie, spin of…) as thin as the chances of that happenning might be… So I’m still hopeful, let’s kill Bree instead, ok ?

2. DN says:

Wow, for a show that’s being cancelled, it certainly has a lot of fans that at least visit website. Go ahead and count how many times “Chuck” is mentioned on the board.

I think the character that should be killed off is Josh Schwartz, because I don’t believe he gives a darn about this series (he’s had his hand in other projects the entire time). It really would behoove Warner Bros. to sell this show to another network.

3. Chris R says:

None of the shows in question are wildly popular.

Ironically, the one show that does fit the bill (wildly popular, sure to be in last season unless a miracle happens) is House.

4. Steve says:

Before the clues I was thinking House, the character being Wilson. But because of the clues, the only show that fits is Desperate Housewives.

5. Becca says:

I betting it’s Casey bc Adam Baldwin retweeted this. :'( Can’t they just kill off Jeffster where they die in some freak accident and save the day?

6. EveatEden says:

This has to be Desperate Housewives. Not sure who they’ll kill off or why but it is totally something they would do.

7. Keith says:

I think it will be the Closer and it will be Brenda’s husband Fitz who gets killed.

8. merikat says:

Much as I hate to say it, I think it’s going to be Brenda on “The Closer.” That will give the new show, “Major Crimes,” an emotional punch for its spin-off.

9. wayne says:

It’s gonna be Carlos on Desperate Housewives. Original Character. Hero (saved his wife)….but he killed someone and then they covered up the crime…someone’s gotta pay for that.

10. brandy says:

I hope its not OTH or DH but DH cast has said not all characters will survive- If its Dh i’m thinking/hoping its Chuck Vance or Ben as either are major charcters this season. but as of yet, I don’t think either affect other sl or characters too much , well Chuck as a cop investing Alejandro’s dissaperance but don’t see that as shocking or either of them being a hero. OTH has a hitman this upcoming season though so… Dan has mostly been redeemed(rescuing Jamie form Nanny Carrie twice, outing Renee as a liar saving Nathan’s career/marriage) though so but maybe the hitman’s after him cause of stuff a long time ago……. idk. If its OTh i hope its him. Though Lucas comes back when Haley asks for his help so maybe Nathan’s the one with the hitman after him and Dan dies to save him.

11. Dominique says:

Definitely Dan from OTH. The “the character was will die a hero/heroine” thing leads me to believe he will redeem himself once and for all, while trying to save someone else.

12. Terra says:

If it’s not DH, it won’t be one of the four main girls, because they’ve already said that the show will end with the four together or something like that. On OTH Dan is really the only logical one to die. Also, where is this “Nathan being kidnapped” thing coming from? I haven’t seen anything like official on that, just poster’s bringing it up. And why would someone kidnap a grown man?

13. Amy says:

Original character doesn’t necessarily mean “main” or “major” character. If it is the show Chuck, it will be someone like Bryce Larkin or General Beckman who have been characters on the show from the start. Not Casey or Morgan.

But I really don’t think it’s Chuck at all. My guess is it involves Desperate Housewives or The Closer.

14. giokn90 says:

It will be Dan, that will die saving the life of his son.
    I guess he’ll probably been shot, then a long agony in the hospital, with tears by his son.

15. brandy says:

I forgot to add that as to “barring 11 hour repreieve” cause i dont see that happening
    OTH 9 season is long enough and the network officaly said this would be its last season in May and several stars-(Chad Sophia, Bethany) have wanted to do other projects for years.
    DH – eight seasons is long enough and abc officaily announced this summer that this was its last season.
    Closer- Kryra chose to leave/end the series and there’s a spinoff so i don’t think itll be saved last minute.
    Hsn’t nbc said/been saying that this is Chucks last season officaly too? spoilertv has it listed as ending.

16. John says:

TPTB have stated in interviews (here?) Chuck is NOT getting a reprieve no matter what so I’d say that eliminates Chuck from contention.

• PJM says:

It’s not “no matter what”. It’s just a ridiculously unattainable thing like pulling 10M viewers on a Friday night. And with NBC already losing 2 of their new shows (and they should lose Whitney), the door isn’t completely shut on Chuck, just 99% shut.

17. David says:

Tom Scavo from Desperate Housewives.

18. Cass says:

Crap. I was hoping you’d ELIMINATE CHUCK from the list, because it’s the first show that sprang to mind after reading just the title. I know they’ve hinted that someone might not make it to the end. I’m assuming it’d be Casey (would make sense in various ways), which would be so awful I refuse to entertain the thought any further. It could be one of the Buy More goons, who are lovable but more expendable–but their passing wouldn’t make such a huge impact. I can’t see Morgan biting the bullet. Then again, it could be one of the other three shows, none of which I watch. My fingers are crossed for that option (sorry, fans of the other shows).

19. legolas says:

Casey from Chuck was the first thing that came to my mind when reading the blind item….

20. Will T. says:

Marc Cherry has said that none of the ladies are dying, so if by chance it DH a male will die. My theory based on Michael’s posting and clues is that it is either OTH or Chuck. Both DH and The Closer have no chance of returning, and Michael mentions an 11th hour save. Chuck and OTH seem to be the more likely show that fit this description.

21. Sweetpea says:

Don’t think it’s The Closer ’cause the post implies it’s gonna be canceled, and The Closer’s only ending ’cause Kyra wants a break. At least I hope; the only major character I’d want to see killed off is that weasel Pope.

22. Susan says:

Why do they feel like they always have to kill a major character in a show? Anybody hear of “happy endings?” We sure don’t get them in real life……

23. Heather says:

I realllly hope that it is Susan on Desperate Housewives. Her whole character and story arc is a JOKE and always has been. I can’t stand her.

24. JMD says:

if it’s Chuck, i’d guess Casey dies saving Morgan )from some nonsense that the intersect has gotten him into) because he knows that his daughter loves him. i could see them going in that direction, though i would hate for Casey to die. the show isn’t going to kill off Ellie or Awesome, and probably not Morgan…that would definitely be too dark.

25. Melody says:

Sadly I’m thinking it’s going to be Chuck and I’d guess that the character in question is Casey.

26. JMD says:

also, re-reading this, i don’t see how it could possibly be desperate housewives, simply because it specifically says “the series in question — which, barring an 11th hour stay of execution, is in its last season.” DH is DEFINITELY in its last season…the writers/producers are ending it. it’s not the network cancelling it, therefore an “11th hour stay of execution” doesn’t really make sense for DH. even if the ratings are through the roof, it won’t be back.

27. Tracy says:

I’m guessing if it isn’t Desperate Housewives, then it is Dan on One Tree Hill.

28. Casey says:

Well before I saw the options, my money would have been on Breaking Bad since next season is supposed to be their last. But I’m gonna guess Desperate Housewives. That’s the only one of those shows that I’m a regular viewer of. (I’ve always wanted to see Chuck though.)

29. Casey says:

Yeah but I’m pretty sure it’s the same situation for all of those shows. I think their next seasons are for sure their last.

30. Alicia says:

I don’t think it’s Chuck (not just because I don’t want it to be). My reasoning is this: There are only going to be 13 episodes this season; it’s already been declared that this is the end; and the finale is scheduled for January – I don’t consider that “spring”.

My money is on Nathan (sniff) or Dan from OTH; otherwise someone on DH.

31. peach7 says:

I say it is going to be Fritz on The Closer. On the job maybe? That would be a powerful motivator for brenda to move on to something/ somewhere else.

32. CS says:

As soon as I saw the headline before reading the article I immediately thought of Chuck. I attended the Chuck panel at Comic Con & Fedak did hint of a death before the series end. Chuck may not be wildly popular in the ratings but it is very popular online and on this website. I hope I’m wrong but am afraid it will be Casey. Last week the writers were breaking the finale of Chuck so it makes sense that the word of a death would now be getting out.

33. Daisy says:

Its The Closer, the charactrer is Fritz. It makes Brenda’s exit that much more dramatic, there won’t be a dry eye in the place.

34. Ella says:

How else are the going to end CHUCK unless he dies? ugh….hope I am wrong but THAT is my bet

35. Jeff in Co says:

One tree hill? Wildly Popular? lmao!!!

36. Ali says:

Fedak said there is going to be a major death this season in Chuck, and if you saw the promo Decker says NOW YOU SEE HOW IMPORTANT HE IS AND MUST FAIL. The only thing is that Chuck is not a wildly Popular show. I really hope it is not chuck or Sarah. Might be Moran though.

37. Karen says:

Before reading the clues, my first guess was Chuck! But I don’t know whether I really want that to actually happen. I don’t want to loose any of those characters. It could be pretty exiting, however, if it was one of the Desperate Housewives (but hopefully not Lynette!)

38. GARREET says:

“Barring an 11th hour stay of execution”? Can’t be ‘Desperate Housewives’ – it’s demise is confirmed and sealed!

39. Pepper says:

Pains me to say but I think it’s Casey on Chuck.
    That being said, let me have my hysterical denial moment and say: What are they gonna do if CHUCK’s gonna get renewed???

40. Jenny says:

I hope to God it’s not Chuck!!!! I don’t want anybody to die!

41. Jerri says:

I think it’ll be Morgan on Chuck. Morgan has the Intersect, maybe it fizzles? And he goes out a hero. Casey is already one, so it’s probably not him.

42. sara says:

It’s DH, Mike or Carlos.

43. Sharon says:

If it’s Brooke from One Tree Hill I will be SO MAD!!!

44. Beth says:

Its Chuck. Fedak stated this at comic-con this year chief.

45. J says:

all lame shows, who cares..

46. Charley says:

The show has to be Chuck. as for who dies, its either Big Mike, Jeff, Lester, or Casey. I think it’ll be Casey.

47. Amber says:

Chuck seems likely from the stay of execution mention. Desperate Housewives seems like a for sure cancellation, I think they are all ready to finish it. Chuck is a show in which everyone (including the viewers) wants to keep it going, it’s just the network that wants to flip the switch. It’s too sad to speculate on who it might be dying though.

48. Walter says:

My guess is OTH, because they have such a devoted fanbase and because the CW does love to renew “ending” shows.

49. BobbyW says:

I Think it’s Chuck as well. My thoughts are Morgan won’t be able to handle the intersect and will become simliar or even worse than Alexei Volkoff. Chuck will get the intersect back and have to face his friend in battle. Either Casey or Alex is killed in the ensuing battle and this is what makes Chuck and Sarah quit the spy life.

50. Rach says:

Adam Baldwin retweeted this blog….;-( they can’t kill Casey! Maybe it will be general Beckmann she has technically been a reoccurring character throughout the series