Exclusive

Blind Item: Departing Show Poised to Kill Off Major Character Before Big Finish

A wildly popular show is plotting a killer twist before it takes its final bow this spring.

According to multiple sources, the series in question — which, barring an 11th hour stay of execution, is in its last season — is moving forward with plans to whack one of its original characters just prior to the series finale.

And I’m told the exit will be a dramatic one, impacting multiple characters and storylines.

What’s the show? Who’s the victim? That’s for me to know and you to speculate about in the comments section.

But first, a few additional clues…

* It’s an hour-long series that bears the title The Closer. Or Desperate Housewives. Or One Tree Hill. Or Chuck.

* The character in question will die a hero/heroine.

* The death will definitely stick.

Ready. Set. Ruminate! Oh, and keep tabs on my Twitter feed — @MichaelAusiello — for additional hints in the coming days, weeks and months.

TAGS:
GET MORE: Blind Item, Exclusive, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Kayla says:

Now terrified that it’s going to be Chuck. I seriously doubt it’s The Closer, since he talked about a stay of execution and that seems to indicate that it’s a network decision to end the show. I totally doubt that anything will change Kyra Sedgwick’s mind about this being her last season, and you can’t have The Closer without…the closer.

Haven’t seen DH or OTH, but the way it’s phrased makes me think Chuck immediately, especially “hero/heroine.”

2. Gauri Bhatia says:

Morgan from Chuck, I think. I hope not. But I think yes.

3. Kiki says:

I have a feeling it’s The Closer. I think it’d be stupid and senseless to kill Brenda. So, even though I hate to say this, my guess would be Fritz. Fritz’s death would have a tremendous impact on Brenda, and would be something big enough to make her quit her job and give it all up. She loves Fritz more than she realizes, in my opinion.

4. Assgoblin says:

Does no one think that pic looks like Awesome?

5. Probie says:

Brenda from The Closer. She’s been fighting the fight of her life this season trying to prove herself as a good cop. Plus, Kyra is ending her run so it would be a very emotional send off if her character died doing her job.

6. Dennis says:

Dan Scott – “ONE TREE HILL”.

With an assassin in a recurring role I think that somehow Nathan got in trouble … in the end Dan might be rescuing him and find finally peace for murdering his brother all those years ago.

7. Natalie says:

My first thought, before I even saw the list of possible shows, was Nathan on One Tree Hill. But I’m hoping I’m wrong.

8. Eissa says:

I’m pretty sure it’s Desperate Housewives and they’ll kill off Bree since the parallels in the Mary Alice story line are becoming quite apparent and it will be a good way to go for the series.

9. Andrea says:

Before I saw the 4 options my gut said Desperate Housewives so I am sticking with that.

10. John Murdoch says:

I think it’s Chuck that will be killed off

11. Mafalda Neto says:

DH for sure, maybe Bree?

12. Linda D says:

I would say The Closer…and Fritz is the one knocked off. This way if the show gets picked up, you still have Brenda.

13. Franko says:

It’s Desperate Housewives. So: Gaby, Bree, Lynette or Susan. My guess is Lynette.

14. regina says:

I kinda hope it’s someone on DH since I watch The Closer, Chuck, and OTH. I don’t want anyone to die on any of those. Lol. Except if it was dan on OTH then I wouldn’t mind as much. But if it’s Nathan i’m gonna be majorly sad. I could see it being Casey on Chuck too. Or maybe even Chuck.

15. flyer says:

It can’t be the Closer, cause the hint said “which, barring an 11th hour stay of execution,” and the Closer was not “executed” it ended at the request of the series’ star.

Don’t watch the others..so I don’t have another guess!

16. Carolyn says:

It’s nobody from Desperate Housewives. They clearly stated, “barring an 11th hour stay of execution”. DH has chosen to end the show, it’s in the bag. Same with The Closer.

17. Rob J. says:

It can’t be The Closer — Kyra Sedwick herself cancelled the show by deciding she wanted to leave, so it’s hgihly unlikely that the show is in any position to get a reprieve. Especially when that reprieve has already been announced — Mary McDonnell taking over as the show’s lead under a new title.
    It’s probably not Chuck because that show is a comedy and they’ve already killed off Chuck’s dad, Sarah’s original boss and Matthew Bomer. And Tony Hale. And . . . okay, never mind. Honestly, though, the only character that I can see them possibly killing off without causing immense fan hatred would be General Beckman.
    11th-Hour Reprive: Makes it sound like OTH, which has gotten 11th-hour reprieves for pretty much *every* year it’s been in existence.
    Wildly popular: Sounds to me like it’s most likely referring to Desperate Housewives or One Tree Hill. The thing is, it seems unlikely that Desperate Housewives is headed for an 11th-hour reprieve. The cast is too expensive, Cherry has been saying for years that he wants it to end and, well, it’s been creatively bankrupt since it killed off Rex.
    I’m leaning toward OTH and Nathan getting killed off. Which would cause the show to be able to afford to bring CMM back as a regular next season if it were to get renewed. I suspect that it’s going to be a coin flip between OTH and 90210 regarding cancellation.

18. Jbeaner77 says:

I am guessing Morgan from Chuck. He is always wanting to come in and save the day.

19. Alba says:

I think it is going to be One tree hill… always too much drama…
    but..which character?I don’t want anybody to die =( (Hope it’s not Brooke)
    Definitely..I’m going to cry a lot with or without this death…

20. Jd says:

I want to say Brenda on the Closer… But…

It really doesn’t fit the criteria. There’s zero percent chance of an 11th hour save.

The line about dying a hero implies they will do something noble, not sure there is anything on housewives that fits that. Although they certainly fit the bill of not being a hero so could become one.

Chuck is already full of heroes.

So I go with Dan on OTH.

21. Ross says:

Could it be more than one of these? I can see Desperate Housewives killing someone off (Carlos maybe), but always imagined OTH would kill off Dan (who, despite having not always been a regular, is an original character) in the final season.

22. Eric says:

It sounds a lot like you’re describing Chuck, but that doesn’t sound like something they would do on Chuck, I’m intrigued…

23. Jenna says:

If it was DH, it would mirror the pilot, I def. see it happening. That’s my first guess. Maybe Susan.

I could also see maybe Chuck killing of Casey though too.

24. Bill says:

My guess is Morgan on Chuck. The danger of him having the Intersect will be his undoing. It plays into the fact that Chuck is special and the only one who can handle it.

I have hated the idea of Morgansect since the finale last season and the only way I can see it playing out properly is for him to die because of it.

Please don’t be Casey. He has been beaten up enough over the series. Let it be Morgan please.

25. Jake says:

Housewives! And i’m going with Bree or Gaby … giving the storyline this season … but still: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :((

26. SK says:

Yeah, this seems like a Desperate Housewives thing. Since they won’t kill off any of the ladies, this means that Mike, Carlos, or Tom could possibly bite the dust.

• minnie says:

My first thought was DH too, although the 11th hour save doesn’t really apply. I think it might be Tom because of the storyline with him moving on from Lynette. He could die trying to save her and tell her he never stopped loving her – wraps that storyline up in a tidy bow.

27. Clara says:

I really hope it’s not DH. It would be really crappy if one of the characters died in the very end…

28. Erin says:

Before I even read the list of potential shows I was thinking Chuck. I have a bad feeling Casey or Morgan are gonners. :(

29. Cantare says:

Oh, rats. It’s not going to be Wilson dying trying to save House’s sorry a$$. I’m just waiting for that to happen. And you know one day it will.

30. TvFan2010 says:

It can’t be DH. They never plan anything this early. Marc Cherry normally doesn’t even speak of the season finales until February or March. Even when they killed off Edie news about that didn’t come out until February of that year. Just my 2 cents :)

31. Robert says:

I believe it will be Desperate Housewives because the show is notorious for having major characters die. It’s been some what confirmed that the ladies won’t die, but it was said that the other 10 major characters may not be as lucky.

32. pam says:

My guess is it will be Chuck since Fedak hinted at a death at Comic Con. Morgan is a high possibility, though I could see it being Jeffster too.

33. Liz says:

11th hour thing could just be in there to throw us! I’m going to focus on wildly popular: DH was at one point, OTH isn’t wildly popular and neither is Chuck, The closer is the other option, so either DH or The Closer.

34. Liz says:

Wait… The closer ISN’T bowing this spring, so it has to be DH.

35. Kathy says:

I’m going to say Fritz on the Closer protecting Brenda or one of her squad members. It will make her leave LA to go back home to Atlanta since we know she is leaving and the show is going as well. All of her squad has worked with Fritz so it would be devestating I think to all of them. Too easy to think it’s DH- but if it is- take out Susan- she’s always gotten on my nreves….

36. Jamie says:

The only reason they’d kill off Nathan is if he doesn’t sign on for ep 13. If it’s a heroes death he’d actually have to be in the episode. So maybe Dan.

37. me says:

I don’t know but may I nominate the entire cast of HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER? An annoyingly overrated, unfunny and whiny show. I guess yuppies will laugh at anything!

• Carmichael says:

*blinks* I’m guessing you’re part of the reason Whitney was given a full season pickup instead of being canceled before The Playboy Club.

38. Samantha says:

It better not be Chuck. Let’s go with Desperate Housewives.

39. MRinLA says:

The “11th hour stay of execution” isn’t a hint. It’s just something you have to write ever since Friends was about 1/3 of the way into it’s ‘last’ season when the cast decided they wanted to do one more.

40. BWags says:

Can we just agree to kill off all of the cast of “Desperate Housewives” in some epic disaster? Please?

41. Jon says:

I hope it’s Susan on Desperate Housewives. That would make us all happy.

• Robert says:

No it wouldn’t. I love all four ladies and Susan is just the really soft one. We all have someone in our families who are extremely sensitive.

42. Hugo says:

When I read the blind item I thought immediately to DH. Then I read about the 11th hour reprieve… so to me is OTH. This show has a 11th hour reprieve for this last season, right? Then DH and The Closer will be closed for good on May (the first for Cherry’s will, the second for Kyra Segdwick’will). A valid alternative to OTH, if what I said before it’s right, could be only Chuck, whose destiny has been on the bubble for the last couple of years at least, even if at the end it has always been renewed.

43. RB says:

I am going to say Chuck. Casey is to obvious. He is a hero. I’m going to go more for Morgan. Morgan would finally become the hero instead of the magnet and it will push chuck over the edge making him the spy he needs to be.

44. Becky says:

Just by seeing the headline and not even reading the article, my first thought was Desperate Housewives.

45. Michael says:

Knowing about killing someone off JUST BEFORE the series finale this early makes me think it’s a 13 episode season, which means not Desperate Housewives. If I have read correctly, Closer is ending because the lead wants to leave, so it wasn’t executed… it’s just ending. That leaves OTH and Chuck. Mentioning specifically that the death will stick leads me to Chuck since there have been so many deaths that haven’t on that show. Uh oh.

• PJM says:

That’s exactly what I was going to come on and say. “The death will definitely stick.” Chuck messed with us with Bryce and then Daniel Shaw (even teased Sarah’s death for a few seconds in one ep)

The money would be on either Casey or Morgan, since it would have to be one of the main four and there’s no way either Chuck or Sarah dies.

46. Amy says:

I don’t think it can be Desperate Housewives because it’s been definitely canceled by ABC, thus no “11th our stay of execution” that Ausiello is talking about in the piece. I hope not anyway. To end this show with a major character death after all the humor and sharp wit this show has always had would be such a major downer that would stick with me, like Roseanne’s final episode did when they killed off Dan Connor. Forever I choose to forget how that show ended, and I would hate to think DH would do the same for me.

47. David says:

I don’t think it’ll be anyone on Desperate Housewives because they’ve known for a while that this is the last season. There wouldn’t be any 11th hour stay of execution because it’s set to end.

48. Lindsay says:

With Chuck being the only show of the four that I watch, here are my thoughts on that:

- I read an interview with Chris Fedak a few months a go, and he said that they might kill someone off. He also said the show might not have a happy ending. (I think this was on tvguide.com. If anyone wants the link, I can try to find it.)
    - I don’t think wildy popular has to mean great ratings. I don’t think any of these shows are Glee/NCIS/Modern Family. Chuck has a passionate fanbase and is also very popular online.
    - I’ve been hearing a lot of casting news and spoilers for episode 9. I’m guessing that’s what they’re filming now, which means they’re thinking about the last 4 episodes now. If you’re going to kill someone off, it makes sense to do it near the end.
    - It sounds like the show was ended by the network and not the people working on it. I’m not sure about the other shows, but Chuck fits that description.
    - “The death will definitely stick.” Death isn’t always final on Chuck.
    - It’s probably a show with heroes and villians, and Chuck is a spy show.

Hope this comment isn’t getting too long, but here are my thoughts on the characters of Chuck. It’s a major original character who can be a hero. I think the main 4- Chuck, Sarah, Casey, Morgan- would make the most sense, and I’ll also throw in General Beckmann since someone mentioned her, and I think she could be a possibility. I don’t think it’s Chuck or Sarah (and if this takes place before the finale, then it’s definitely not Chuck). The surviving one would be too upset. General Beckmann would’nt affect too many storylines, unlike Morgan and Casey who both go on missions, work at the Buy More, are friends with Chuck, Sarah, and the other characters, and have a relationship with Alex.

So my guess is either Casey or Morgan. I’m thinking Casey. I’ve always thought that if the show got a real ending, Casey dying might be something that would happen. I guess Morgan could get too brave one time, but I’m still going with Casey.

49. Adam Baldwin just retweeted this…………

50. CHOWSTL says:

Guessing it is chuck since adam baldwin RT’d a reference to this article.