Exclusive

Blind Item: Departing Show Poised to Kill Off Major Character Before Big Finish

A wildly popular show is plotting a killer twist before it takes its final bow this spring.

According to multiple sources, the series in question — which, barring an 11th hour stay of execution, is in its last season — is moving forward with plans to whack one of its original characters just prior to the series finale.

And I’m told the exit will be a dramatic one, impacting multiple characters and storylines.

What’s the show? Who’s the victim? That’s for me to know and you to speculate about in the comments section.

But first, a few additional clues…

* It’s an hour-long series that bears the title The Closer. Or Desperate Housewives. Or One Tree Hill. Or Chuck.

* The character in question will die a hero/heroine.

* The death will definitely stick.

Ready. Set. Ruminate! Oh, and keep tabs on my Twitter feed — @MichaelAusiello — for additional hints in the coming days, weeks and months.

TAGS:
GET MORE: Blind Item, Exclusive, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Corrine says:

I’ve been saying since they announced CMM’s return to OTH that they’re going to kill off Nathan. So that’s my guess.

• Franko says:

LOL since when is “One Tree Hill” wildly popular? “Chuck” also. This one has “Desperate housewives” written all over the place.

• Captain says:

It has an extremely devoted fanbase much like Chuck. I wouldn’t say any of the shows listed are “wildly popular” as far as ratings go. I agree with Corrine. My first thought was Nathan as well but it could be Desperate Housewives, sounds like something they would do. (Carlos or someone involved in the murder-mystery, dying would affect multiple storylines).

• Russ says:

I think I read on this website that Nathan’s role on the show would only be recurring so I bet if it is Nathan, Lucas will come to town to fill the father role for Jaime and the baby girl like Keith did for him.

• H says:

None of those shows are popular anymore.

• DDB says:

The Closer is still one of the highest rated shows on cable.

• DL says:

Yeah, The Closer is the only show on that list that could be classified as “wildly popular.” At least right now. On the other hand, however, the line about “barring an 11th hour stay of execution” really doesn’t apply to The Closer because Kyra Sedgwick is leaving and we already know they’re spinning off The Closer as Major Crimes with Mary McDonnell’s Cpt. Raydor. So that leaves… Desperate Housewives? It’s the only show on the list that at one point may have been considered “wildly popular” even if it isn’t now. Seeing as I’ve never watched the show, I couldn’t even begin to guess who would get killed off.

• bonzlygirl says:

The Closer isn’t in an “11th hour stay of execution” situation. Kyra Sesgwick has quit the show, so it’s over. I vote for Desperate Housewives and they can kill off Susan anytime now.

• Santana says:

The 11th hour thing makes me think it’s Chuck, since it is almost always one of the last series to be picked up for a new season, and it seems like it’s very devoted fans go wild every year trying to save it. And while it’s ratings are not very high, it seems pretty popular among the people who visit this site.

• KevyB says:

8 million viewers does not make a show “wildly popular”, but Ausiello throws words like that around for every show that has some sort of recognition. Desperate Housewives still gets more than that. Personally, I would start using the term “rabid fanbase” which pretty much does work for all shows mentioned. That said, it makes more sense for The Closer to be the show. Kyra gets killed and the others work the case until the season finale. If a Desperate Housewife got killed, it would make more sense to kill her in the beginning of the season so they could have a season-long mystery about it. Don’t give a rat’s about One Tree Hill (really, is that still on?). And Chuck isn’t killing anyone. They don’t even kill their bad guys.

• English says:

@KevyB 8 million viewers on cable IS actually wildly popular. Most of the shows on cable average 2-3 million viewers. Cable definitions of popular are not the same as network definitions. On a different note, if it IS Brenda, I’m gonna have to start boycotting TNT.

• Jeri says:

Please do not be Fritz aka Jon Tenney on The Closer. I wondered what would happen to him with Brenda (Kyra) leaving. I want to see him on Major Squad

I hope it’s Desperate Housewives but I’m not sure how dramatic that would be.

I don’t see what CMM has to do with Nathan (or anyone else for that matter) on the show. Let it be CMM since he is so beloved by die hard fans of yester year. Nathan’s death would be the most dramatic of anyone on that show but I hope it’s not him.

• Frances says:

I really hope it’s not Nathan. I will be devestated if that happens.

• lorna says:

I believe it is Nathan, too. James won’t be in the finale. I love Dan Scott, other than him killing Keith, and always thought at the end that Lucast should get revenge and kill Dan.

• Kaitlan says:

I know for a fact that sadly the show that is being talked about is One Tree Hill and yes it is “widely popular.” I do not believe, however that it is Nathan. CMM did return to Tree Hill for what we do not know, but since he is only in one episode it would not be to fill the father role for Jamie. Also James will be in the series finale. If you have been looking at the pictures on Twitter that have been being posted all day James is in those pictures. So it could not be him. But with that said, I think that any death at this point would be devastating. Especially since it is the last season for OTH. But it would not be Mark Schwan if the show didn’t go out with a bang.

2. Sarah says:

Desperate Housewives and I think it will be Bree

• Marie says:

I don’t remember where or when, but DH producer said that the show will not end with the death of one of the girls. But it can be a guy. Or they just simply changed their mind, like they did many times since the beginning of that show.

3. Ashley says:

Okay, all I’m going to say is they better not kill off any major characters in Chuck. I don’t think they’d do that, but what do I know?

• Luminosity says:

I’m with you, Ashley! I don’t care about any of those other shows, but I would be upset if they kill off any of my beloved CHUCK characters.

• Angie says:

I agree- this better not be about Chuck!!!

• Avi says:

My first thought was Chuck and that they were going to kill off Casey. I would be a freaking MESS if I lived in world where John Casey died even if he did go out a hero. Who else would they really be able to kill though if it was Chuck? It better not be Chuck at all.

• Lisa says:

The first person that came to my mind was Casey. Then my mind went to possibly Morgan. Morgan has always been wildly popular with Chuck fans. It does say the person dies a hero, which really makes me think all the more so that it’s someone on Chuck. Of course, that makes me think of Morgan. Dying a hero would be important to Morgan. It’s hard to figure which of them it will be, because both of them are wildly popular to Chuck fans and I could picture both of them dying a hero. Although, Casey you’d expect to die a heroic death, for Morgan to die a hero is actually a bigger deal. So first guess Morgan, second guess, Casey.

4. Amar says:

If it’s Chuck, my guess Morgan or Casey.

• Nicole says:

My first thought was Casey on Chuck – I could definitely see them doing it. It would let Casey die a hero, and also give the other three a good reason to finally leave the spy buisiness and retire, which would be a good way to end the series.

• Jersey Jeff says:

Casey makes more sense, killing the comic relief Morgan would be too dark a note for Chuck to go out on.

• Cat says:

If the death is to occur on Chuck, I can totally see Casey getting into a situation where he sacrifices his life in exchange for the lives of many. And to him, it would be a matter of honor and duty; a choice that would be easy for him. Sad for us, though, but it would so follow his tenets and unwavering sense of duty to his country.

• Jason C. says:

My friend mentioned this, and I think I agree: Beckman on Chuck. She’s not going to be a huge presence on the last season, but she’s been around and I could still see her helping Chuck and the gang out. I could also see her dying a heroine to help them.

• B says:

Morgan! I could totally see it, and it would totally be a drag.. I hope it’s not, but I could see him being the one.

• Grace says:

I think it’s relevant that Michael said ORIGINAL and not MAIN or MAJOR characters. If it is Chuck, I doubt it’d be any of the core cast, probably one of the peripheral characters who have been around since the beginning. General Beckman is a pretty decent guess. And didn’t Vik Sahay joke in his comic-con interview that he wanted Lester to die a hero’s death in the last season? :)

That having been said, this doesn’t really sound like a Chuck move, more like Desperate Housewives or OTH…

• Carmichael says:

The other thing is ‘barring an 11th hour stay’, that’s so got to be Chuck. I’m thinking it’s either Casey, Ellie, or Awesome, in that order.

• Katie says:

Except that Chuck is ending this season by choice, not by decree of the Network.

• Jess says:

They’re not ending by choice. NBC picked them up for a “5th and final” season.

• Brooke says:

I don’t think that’s true, Katie…

• alex says:

Nope. Wrong. All the actors and producers want the show to stay. It’s the network that said this is your final season.

• Steph says:

Yeah sorry Katie, not sure where you’re getting your info, but this isn’t a choice by Fedak/Schwartz to end. NBC doesn’t want them anymore (at least at this point) so the WB won’t make it anymore. I was on set a few weeks ago and the production staff was somewhat hopeful of a back 9 order but not a pick-up, even though they’d all love to stick around.

If it is a Chuck character (which I wouldn’t doubt) I’d say Casey or Lester – probably Lester because Casey is a somewhat obvious choice and they wouldn’t want to piss off the Browncoats. lol And Vik would make that death an epic one.

• Jessica says:

Chuck did not choose to go off the air. The network chose to make this it’s final season, which is why I think this applies to Chuck. Desperate Housewives did opt to end this season, right? I’m pretty sure I read that Marc Cherry decided to make this the final season, even though the actresses were all contracted for 2 more seasons…so therefore an 11th hour stay of execution wouldn’t apply to DH. It also wouldn’t apply to The Closer with Kyra choosing to leave no matter what. I have no idea on OTH. It seems logical to me though that it’s Chuck he’s referring to, BUT who is the question. I immediately thought of Casey, but someone mentioned it could be Beckman since Michael said original character, not main character. I think that makes more sense because: 1. Fedak/Schwartz would know people would be really upset if Casey dies, hence unsatisfying ending, 2. Lester doesn’t make sense because in what way would Lester die a hero death, and then leave his sidekick???, 3. Morgan, Ellie & Awesome are the same as Casey…people would be up in arms. But I don’t think anyone would be upset really if Beckman died, and she would be able to go out as a heroine helping Chuck & team. The preview for the season made it look like there is a lot more to do with the government than even Chuck & that realize. Maybe Beckman gets wind of some things and helps them! That’s my guess.

• Lisa says:

Actually, there are two shows that I’ve heard the statement “barring an 11th hour stay of execution” in reference to. One is House, the other is Chuck. Since House is not an option on ths list, it points to Chuck. Also, the fact that dying a hero/heroine is a hint, that also points to Chuck. Of course, though I still think it will be either Morgan or Casey; I do realize that Lester IS a possibility. I keep thinking it’s someone who is normally less of a hero, who will die heroically. Which is why Morgan is my first choice. Lester is not usually very heroic either and of course, Jeffster is popular, lol. So, could be.

• Bob says:

Most definitely Casey if it’s Chuck that M.A. is blinding about.

5. Niki says:

First person to jump in my mind is Chasey from Chuck

6. juliainor says:

I’d guess they are going to kill off Brenda on The Closer – it would give a lot of material for Major Crimes to start with.

7. lee says:

My money is Chuck and victim Casey… Please let me be wrong!

8. Jason says:

Fringe-Peter

9. Patrick says:

Pretty sure they cast someone as an assassin for all 13 episodes of One Tree Hill’s final season… And Dan Scott’s back as a regular… Could see no more fitting end for this guy!

• Captain says:

That’s perfect! I hope you’re right.

• Amber says:

That sounds about right…He probably saves Nathan from whoever kidnapped him and gets killed himself…

• Trista says:

This would be a perfect ending. Dan saving either Nathan or Lucas would be the only way to even somewhat redeem this man in the eyes of his sons.

Also – I don’t think they would kill off Nathan. Nathan and Haley are a mainstay on the show. You have to give them a happy ending.

10. Brynna says:

If they kill of someone on Chuck I will kick someone…

11. Snapy says:

Mike on DH.

12. Kate says:

It’s gotta be “Housewives.” I’m guessing it’s Susan.

13. Cristiano says:

if the show is Chuck I swear..

14. JD says:

Could be Casey on Chuck, but I think that the show is too light to kill off anybody for good at the end.

• PJM says:

Don’t be so sure. They killed off Chuck’s father rather brutally. He was a recurring character, but still…

Casey on Chuck would be my second choice, but Brenda from The Closer sounds most likely since Kyra Sedgwick was leaving the show anyway.

15. Britney says:

I know there’s talks of killing Nathan if James doesn’t sign on for the finale, so I’ll go with him, though OTH isn’t exactly wildly popular, but only DH really fits with that of those options.

16. 8daysaweek says:

If it’s John Casey, I will break something.

• Word says:

Seriously. My brain can’t even comprehend a world without John Casey kicking ass and taking names. Why torture us if this is really the end?! He just got his daughter back! AH! I’m already freaking out and we don’t even know if it is really going to be him.

17. LOL says:

Casey on Chuck is my guess. He’ll go out a hero as he’s been many times before.

18. DKD says:

At SD Comic-con Chris Fedak said they would kill off a character on Chuck.

19. Danielle says:

Nathan dying on OTH maybe? That would make sense with James Lafferty being gone for a couple of eps and the flash forward 5 years. It would also parallel the 3rd season finale where he it seemed like he was going to die a hero. Maybe they wanted to revisit that?

20. Paige says:

The Closer. The cast has been coy about who is going to Major Crimes and the producers have said that this season is about love and loss. I think that Gabriel is going to be the one who dies. That would be so emotional and impact Brenda so much to give her an exit.

21. Adam says:

It’ll probably be on Chuck. My money’s on Casey, though Morgan, Ellie, or Awesome are also candidates.

22. xoxoNOVA says:

I’m thinking it’s Casey on Chuck….

23. Sarah El says:

I hope it’s Chuck. I’ve been waiting for them to commit to killing a major character and Stephen’s death was so brilliant and sad and wonderful. Bryce’s too. GO ALL OUT CHUCK.

24. Gambs says:

Wow! If the show is Chuck, then it has to be Casey.
    It would get Chuck and Sarah out of the spy business, and cause Morgan to give up the intersect after Alex blames him for her dad’s death.

25. archie says:

I think it will be DH. Obviously, not the Ladies, but someone from husbands. Mike perhaps?

26. juliet says:

Casey on Chuck? (The part about dying as a hero made my mind go there.)

• Emily says:

My first gut instinct was Casey on Chuck, but it was the part about the hero that changed my mind. Casey is already a hero. Ausiello makes it sound like this is someone seeking redemption.

• Lisa says:

My thoughts exactly. I don’t think it’s someone that already has been a hero. There was also a blind item back in March of this year that was very similar to this one. Same wording, and I believe a hint was given that it was on one of the big 3, and it wasn’t CBS or ABC. Originally, it was supposed to either happen in the season finale or at the beginning of the fall season. I believe the two blind item reports are referring to the same show. I believe the show to be Chuck. I also believe I read something about Chuck moving some episodes that were planned for the beginning of the season closer to the series finale. I would bet this is exactly why they did it.

27. Ace says:

Tonally, I think Desperate Housewives or One Tree Hill makes the most sense. Maybe The Closer. Not Chuck, though. I can’t see that show ending any way but happily, which suits me just fine!

28. DS says:

My guess would be Susan or Bree from Desperate Housewives. Although, Casey or Morgan from Chuck would make sense too.

29. Amanda says:

Before I even read the clues I thought it’s be Casey on Chuck.

30. Liz says:

I have a bad feeling it’s Morgan or Casey on Chuck

31. Gene says:

Peter on Fringe?

• austen. says:

lol why are people even guessing this?

• lil Jo says:

DID YOU READ THE ARTICLE he has the possible shows listed and Fringe is one of the OPTIONS

Full Disclosure: Of course I do apologize as he has been know to modify the article after written and if he didn’t have the shows listed before you wrote this I’m sorry! If he did you need to read then comment!

32. J.P. says:

I’m thinking Haley on OTH. That would definitely bring Lucas back to the fold. It might end up being a bit too much like the end of Dawson with Jen, but it would definitely be dramatic!

• TayMads says:

It’s not Haley…they said that Lucas coming back has something to do with Nathan and he comes back because Haley asks him to. So if anything, it might possibly be Nathan. Even thought that would royally piss me off because they have been through so much.

33. LordVoldemort says:

My bet is on Chuck.
    The series should’ve been canceled a long ago, that’s the ’11-th our stay of execution’
    Or it could be DH… I’m not so sure anymore :/

• Tom Riddle says:

What is this “should have been cancelled” crap. Unless you’re a shareholder in NBC or you’re being forced to watch you have absolutely no stake in whether or not the show is cancelled. Except to be a dick.

34. Batman says:

I think Skills will whack Mouth on One Tree Hill for stealing the last piece of chicken out of their fridge.

35. Sam says:

I’m ruling out Chuck on the basis that it’s hard to consider it “a wildly popular show”.

36. Steve says:

Not familiar with The Closer or Housewives but the 11th hour bit made me think of One Tree Hill. And if it’s an original main character, I’d say it’s Dan Scott. The show is HUGE on redemption and let’s be honest, the guy hasn’t had a break since mid-Season 3. He’ll probably go out like a hero and finally be remembered in a good light. I hope I’m wrong since it’s the most predictable setup possible. It would be shockingly mindblowing if it was Haley, Nathan, or Brooke but they all have kids and that would make people pretty angry. And the other originals like Mouth and Skillz aren’t really relevant enough since their storylines haven’t really been that compelling for quite some time now.

37. Tyler says:

It’s not Desperate Housewives because there is no chance of an 11th hour stay of execution. The show is ending.

• Liz says:

In that case, the same goes for One Tree Hill. They wrap up filming in November and their studio space will then be used for something else.

• dan says:

Agree completely. ABC and Marc Cherry have made it clear that DH is ending and there is no 11th hr stay of execution. They’re even advertising it as the last season. So it isn’t DH. My guess is The Closer with Kyra’s character dying.

• Dav says:

I don’t think Mike meant that “11th hour” thing quite so literally. There is a chance (although extreamly remote) that all of those shows may get a last minute reprieve. You can’t tell me that if Kyra changed her mind and decided to do another season the network wouldn’t jump through hoops to make it happen. (No, I don’t think she will but I’m just making a point.)

38. Ingmar says:

LOL, its funny. I watch 3 of the 4 mentioned shows ( I dont watch Chuck ) and I had the feeling with all the shows that there would be a death.

If its the Closer : Brenda ( but I doubt it )
    If its Desperate Housewives : Any of the housewives, Bree most likely
    One Tree Hill : Nathan ( most likely to save his wife or something )

39. Alisa says:

NOOO!! NOT CHUCK!!

DON’T DO IT, JOSH SCHWARTZ. DON’T YOU DO IT. I DON’T EVEN CARE WHO IT IS. DON’T DO IT.

40. Jessica says:

It would be really messed up if it is someone from Chuck. Fans rally for the show every single season, please don’t kill off someone from the show we always fight for.

41. Azuriel says:

It looks like Chuck to me…

I don’t see OTH or Desperate with a heroic death…

42. Todd says:

It can’t be Chuck, there is too much movie potential with that show.

• Mark says:

This absolutely reeks of John Casey.

• Chris says:

Chris Fedak said at Comic-Con someone probably won’t survive this season (But doesn’t he always say that). I’d guess Casey, but I’d feel bad considering his seventy some odd brushes with death already.

43. Dessy says:

when I saw the headline first, before I saw the options of which show it would be, I was terrified it was Fringe.

44. Cesar Filho says:

C’mon, people. They’re not gonna kill off anyone on Chuck after so many years with us fans helping the show from being cancelled. It would be stupid. And they are not killing off Nathan from One Tree Hill as well. My bet is on Dan, OTH. He’s coming back for the last season, Ausiello said the show is on its 11th hour and he’ll die as a hero. It’s everything the character’s looking for since season five. It’s definetely Dan.

45. sladewilson says:

I’m betting it’s either one of the detectives on The Closer (Brenda, maybe Gabriel?) or Desperate Housewives – Carlos.

46. ggny says:

most def Casey on Chuck…It makes sense

47. Jackie says:

My first guess was Chuck. Everyone keeps saying Casey but I hope not! Maybe one of the Buy More crew. It would be sad but pretty awesome; especially, if the character dies a hero…

48. Hershal says:

I’m thinking Casey on Chuck…which would suck.

49. Mitholas says:

This reeks of Desperate Housewives. Considering you said “hero or heroine” I think it’ll be Lynette, but for some reason I’d like Susan to get a dramatic exit moment with lots of momentum. A clutz in life, a hero in death.

• Josh says:

But isn’t DH ending for good? He mentions barring an 11th hour stay of execution. I mean, there’s talk of The Closer getting a spin off, and Chuck, well Chuck’s fate is always up in the air. But I was under the impression the housewives are definitely gone after this season.

• Trubble says:

Right – DH is in its final season (thank the TV Gods for this), and The Closer is also in its final season (so sad!!) but a spinoff is in the works. As for which DH gets killed, I don’t care – just get this nonsense off the air!!!

50. abbymac says:

While my first thought was Chuck (horror!) I re-read the description. A “wildly popular” show? While I love Chuck and always have, I don’t consider it to have ever been “wildly popular”. So my guess is Fritzie on The Closer.

• Alphonse says:

Ooo, this! I don’t think it will be Brenda because that’s too predictable with KS leaving the show. But Fritz dying could be what makes her quit the force. Also, if they kill off Brenda then there is no chance for Brenda to ever come back if KS changes her mind someday . . .