TVLine Items: Dallas Star Larry Hagman Battles Cancer, CBS Plots Lost Reunion and More

Not even cancer can stop J.R. Ewing.

Dallas legend Larry Hagman — who is set to reprise his iconic role in the upcoming TNT reboot — has been diagnosed with a “highly treatable” form of the disease.

But according to TV Guide Magazine, Hagman still intends to report to work on Oct. 17 when production on the series resumes.

“As J.R., I could get away with anything — bribery, blackmail and adultery,” Hagman said in a statement. “But I got caught by cancer. I do want everyone to know that it is a very common and treatable form of cancer. I will be receiving treatment while working on the new Dallas series. I could not think of a better place to be than working on a show I love, with people I love. Besides, as we all know, you can’t keep J.R. down!”

Here are more of today’s top TV news stories:

• Hold on to your hatches! Ben Linus and Charles Widmore are about to meet once more. EW.com reports that Lost alum Alan Dale will appear this fall on Michael Emerson’s new CBS series Person of Interest as member of the German Stasi secret police.

• Showtime has released a new preview of Kristen Bell’s new dark comedy House of Lies, making the wait until her much-anticipated TV return next January a little less painful. Watch the former teen sleuth in action below:

Loading video...

• It’s official: Malcolm-Jamal Warner will return to NBC’s Community this fall as Shirley’s ex-hubby, and he has big plans for his rekindled love. According to TVGuide.com, Andre intends to re-tie the knot with the Greendale vet.

• HBO is turning the Oscar nominated The Kids are All Right into an hourlong drama series. The film’s director, Lisa Cholodenko, is on board to direct the pilot, per Deadline.

• Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst is set to star in a CBS comedy pilot which centers on a rock legend looking to balance his high profile lifestyle and his family, Deadline reports.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. ncmacasl says:

“Person of Interest” already did a Lost reunion when they brought in Brett Cullen in episode 2′s Lost-ish flashback (Lost’s Goodwin Stanhope for 4 episodes)

• grec-ster says:

Check out Brett Cullen as the bad guy QB on “the re-placements” football movie (Eddie Martel)

Gene frikkin Hackman (HAS HE EVER MADE A BAD MOVIE ??)Keanu Reeves,Rhys Fans, and of course “big worm” from friday – Faizon Love.(1 hell of an actor if you ask me ) He was the funniest in “ELF” as well.

2. Patrick says:

Am I the only one who didn’t rate The Kids Are Alright? Great cast, but the last acts of the film seemed really lacking. Not sure how it would transfer to a weekly series, but if they got the cast right it might be good to check out.

3. NCSouthernBelle says:

Fred Durst is going to star in a comedy series? GMAFB. Why waste the money on something so clearly destined to fail?

4. Rebecca says:

I’m the first one to comment about Larry Hagman?!? Well, I certainly hope he’s all right. I watched Dallas from the “dream season” on during its original run, and it remains one of my all-time favorites. I’ll give the remake a chance just because Hagman and other veterans are appearing it.

• Melissa says:

@Rebecca – I know – the first comment should have been about Larry and wishes for his speedy recovery, but I guess since it was the first comment, everyone forgot because of their short attention spans. Everyone was distracted by shiny tidbits of useless information.

5. Susan says:

Another stupid idea. We had prequels, past the series and now a reboot.Larry Hagman looks awful, Linda Gray does not need the work, Patrick Duffy also has money and glad victoria Pricipal was smart enough not to participate. I could write the scripts myself. Here is how it goes, John Ross is the new JR., Bobby’s kid is him and Sue Ellen is Miss Ellie like. It is time to reshow the original as well as Knots Landing. Soapnet will go away and I guess the rights are up for grabs as well as on DVD. Knots did not have a much luck on DVD, only two seasons.

6. grec-ster says:

MEMBA – HE WAS JENIE’S MAJOR NELSON. BARBARA EDEN AND BILL DALY w/ J.R. – 3 OF THE FUNNIEST PEOPLE ON TV IN 60′S.

I AM GLAD U ARE STILL HERE MY BROTHER !!!! / PLEAS STICK AROUND 4 A WHILE SIR. VICTORIA PRINCIPAL BACK IN THE DAY – WOW!!!!!!!!

7. e. says:

So… hiring Fred Durst to star in it is for irony’s sake right?

8. MRinLA says:

Fred Durst? I thought they already re-cast 2 1/2 Men…