TNT Cancels Jason Lee's Memphis Beat

Get More: Cancellations, News

The beat will not go on: TNT has canceled cop drama Memphis Beat

The Jason Lee vehicle, which counted George Clooney among its executive producers, ran for two seasons on the cable net.

“TNT has decided not to pick up a third season of Memphis Beat,” says a spokesperson for the cabler. “The network thanks everyone involved in the production of Memphis Beat for their work on the series, including the great cast and crew. TNT wishes everyone the best.”

Lee can next be seen as a single dad who catches the eye of Maya Rudolph’s character on NBC’s Up All Night.

Tags: ,

Comments (142)

• I really liked this show. Wasn’t set in awful LA or NY. The characters were quirky and likeable. They’re weren’t two leads paired together for a ‘will they or won’t they’ relationship. TNT dropped the ball on this one.

Comment by AuntieMM – October 16, 2011 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why cancel one of the few good shows you have. The content of most isn’t worht even seeing previews. Loved the music. I use to live there. Bring them back.

Comment by gene – October 16, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This stinks, I used to watch HawthoRNe then Memphis Beat, now what am I going to watch after HawthoRNe?

Comment by Stone Bearer – October 16, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved that show and looked forweard to it every Tuesday night. I am also very disappointed that they cancelled Hawthorne. TNT does not care what the viewers want to watch.

Comment by Gerrie – October 17, 2011 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not. Happy.

Comment by tazzy – October 17, 2011 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show, but I know that sometimes shows get cancelled. But why is there no explanation of WHY this was canceled? TNT’s statement just says “we decided not to have season 3″… why? The ratings weren’t bad for a summer series on a cable network, and I can’t believe it was terribly expensive to shoot. I’d love to hear why this decision was made.

Comment by KMG – October 17, 2011 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BOO TNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…hubby & I really enjoyed this show……one of the few rare shows that we both watch together……enough reality dancing and talent shows on the air..not everyone wants to see them……..give us a choice!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Linda – October 17, 2011 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband and I loved the show. It was funny and also, very real. We are really sorry it is being cancelled. The regular shows on TV are so predictable. For the last three (?) years it is always the rich white guy or the white anarchist or the white lady who are the criminals. I don’t think this is the way things are in the real world, only in Hollywood.

Comment by Gayle Gdovin – October 17, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great Show, Good Stories, wonderful Cast and atmosphere . Too good for TnT!

Comment by James. K. – October 17, 2011 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s kind of a bummer. Season 2 was much better than Season 1. I like DJ Qualls and Jason Lee even though his lip synching was really lame.

Comment by Lisa – October 17, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a great show! Just heard on the news today that reality shows are dangerous to your mental health! We need Memphis Beat! This show had heart, humor, and a great message every week! What is the matter with TNT! When The Closer is gone, I am gone from TNT. They have nothing else.

Comment by June – October 18, 2011 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This stinks!! Loved this show. So TNT has decided to cancel all tehir good shows- Memphis Beat , The Closer , Men of a Certain Age. What is left?? SVU/CSI re-runs??? So not cool

Comment by gail – October 19, 2011 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Memphis Beat was one of three shows that I recorded every week. I hope all the actors get another GREAT show to be on. They all worked so good together. Just a really great show!!!

Comment by Charlie Johnson – October 19, 2011 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TNT BANG,BLAM, THEY REALLY BLEW THIS ONE. THIS SHOW WAS RARE BY TODAYS STANDERD. IT HAD GREAT ACTING NOT THE JUNK THAT OTHER SHOWS HAD. DID TNT EVER CONSIDER VEIWERS HAVE CABLE AND WATCHED THE SHOW WHEN THEY HAD TIME TO ENJOY IT, ?? TNT, SOMEBODY WITH BRAINS BETTER RETHINK THIS, WITH CLOSER GONE AND SOME OF YOUR OTHER SHOWS ARE GETTING BORING WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO OFFER ?? 24 HOUR RERUNS LIKE TV LAND ?? TO THE MEMPHIS BEAT CAST YOU WERE AND ARE GREAT ACTORS,!!!

Comment by bob – October 20, 2011 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Memphis Beat too. It wasn’t as hammy as Franklin and Bash. But hey…at least they didn’t make them wrap up the series in like 4 episodes on short notice like Saving Grace. That was one of the best shows, had good ratings, but didn’t do good in DVD sales so they killed it. And who says Southland is bad…that has to be one of the best police shows I’ve ever seen. But to each their own I guess. Just too bad they killed MB

Comment by jeff in Co – October 21, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really loved Memphis Beat!!! Please consider all of us Fans. At least do reruns and maybe pick it up again!!! Please!!!!

Comment by Barb Mak – October 21, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Memphis Beat was fabulous with interesting, quirky characters that interacted so well. Children could watch, yet it was intelligent enough for adults. What foolish person made this decision?

Franklin and Bash ???? Yuck.
    Leverage ????? Yawn.
    The Mentalist ????? Words fail me.

Comment by xuxa – October 22, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so very disappointed no I am really mad they cancelled the best show that has aired in a longtime! Grear characters and the storylines were great and having the music touch made it come full circle! I was actually excited about a show on TV it seems they cancel the good ones and air the garbage. A lot of people did’nt know about the show and soon as I told them to watch they loved it as I did! What are they thinking??? let’s “voice” for some good tv shows!!!!! Bring back Memphis Beat!!

Comment by marilyn – October 28, 2011 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad tnt, bad. Tv.

Comment by shelia – November 3, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We are so sad to know that Memphis Beat has been dropped. We loved this show!!! Now what will we watch??? Bring it back. Please!

Comment by Nancy Scheele – November 6, 2011 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show!!! Bad move TNT..

Comment by Brandy – November 8, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TNT is Stupid why did they have to cancel this show I loved watching it! What am I going to watch on tv now? They showed bring it back it was the best show I have seen!

Comment by Carina D – November 18, 2011 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is wrong with TNT why would they cancel it. Now Jason Lee does not have a job they should bring it back or some other channel should pick it up because it was a great TV show and I miss watching it! Every tuesday I was waiting just to see it!

Comment by Lidia – November 18, 2011 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so disappointed–Memphis Beat was one of my favorite shows. With the Closer going soon, I guess I won’t have any reason to watch TNT. This show had great characters and great actors. TNT, you really blew this one! Please rethink your decision–oh wait, that would mean someone at TNT actually thinks! I’m not so sure that this is the case!

Comment by Courtalls – November 20, 2011 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please bring back men of a certain age and memphis beat, do not mess up tnt.

Comment by don andrews – November 29, 2011 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just read that Memphis Beat was canceled. TNT you really need to stop doing this. First you cancel Men of a Certain Age. I am so disappointed with the this network. I loved watching it. Maybe another network will pick them uup…Pretty soon will drop TNT wont trust watching a show that will be canceled right away.

Comment by Perl – December 6, 2011 03:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cancelling Memphis Beat was a VERY POOR DECISION. Jason Lee in this role was very appealing. I just discovered it mid-season last year and was really looking forward to having it return. I even talked it up to coworkers and they were getting hooked on it as well. Another disappointment was TNT cancelling Men of a Certain Age. That was another good one they should have renewed. Every program on TV cannot be geared toward the 18-28 set. There ARE mature adults who enjoy watching a well acted program with interesting characters as these two now cancelled ones certainly were. You network decision makers sure let us down.

Comment by Bev – December 6, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TNT knows drama. What good is that when good drama and entertainment like MEMPHIS BEAT is dropped from the schedule?

Comment by Daniel – December 14, 2011 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that show watching an episode now Om 13th Street Satellite Channel on FOXTEL in Australia. So disappointed it won’t be continuing. I liked it’s quirkiness , just that little bit of difference. So so disappointed.

Comment by CheryL – March 24, 2012 02:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by symone – April 1, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why did you cancel Memphis Beat it was a good show what is wrong with people when we get good show they go off Get these dump show reality or food shows they say we are fat well stop showing those shows.Iam sorry I miss not seeing that show Please bring BACK……

Comment by rose – April 2, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they shouldnt start sumthin get people watchin it and lovin it and all of a sudden cancel it. It makes no sense thats how they loose viewers people aren’t gonna wanna watch a new show get into it and then find out its cancelled people sre just gonna not even bother watchin new shows when theres a 50/50 chance it will be cancelled

Comment by paula – April 9, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Memphis Beat was amazing. Just the right combination of action, drama and humor. Then with all that we got to have our cake and it too…the music was perfection. How do they make such poor decisions?

Comment by jill curtin – April 9, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason Lee is now committed to another show ?? We cant even get a movement together to bring back the show Memphis Beat ? It needs a cop that can sing ( like Elvis to make the Memphis tie ) like Jason Lee could do .. so sad it’s gone !

Comment by joan – May 2, 2012 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They kill all their best shows! I couldn’t believe when I read this! And the idiot shows they are putting on! They have lost their minds.

Comment by Linda – June 5, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED Memphis Beat!! As a teacher, I looked forward to summer just so I could watch this heart-warming show. Jason Lee was fabulous and I absolutely loved the music at the end every week. I hope it comes back. I miss the characters… I enjoyed the way they solved crimes.

Comment by Gail Saragusa – June 6, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow here goes another good show kicked to the curb. They cancelled Hawthorne and now Memphis Beat. I guess they’re trying to keep up with the 4 major networks. It’s just ashame when ratings, and ultimately money cause the networks to hastily cancel shows. Now what more reality shows.

Comment by Kim – June 7, 2012 12:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TNT- We know drama. Oh no you don’t. What a stupid decision. Rather than cancelling this fine little show, why didn’t you do anything to promote it? No one I talked to had even heard of it, but they watch all the other similarly well-done quirky dramas. But OMG, if I see the old worn out cast of Dallas on one more talk show, I throw up. Couldn’t get a little publicity going for jason Lee?

Comment by Sylina – June 18, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sad to hear Memphis Beat is not returning. I love that show: the characters, storylines and the music. Memphis Beat was a smart, funny and engaging show. Bring back Memphis Beat.

Comment by Loretta – June 28, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TNT SUCKS. DAMN DAMN DAMN

Comment by JM JENKINS – July 1, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i AM SOOOOO BUMMED I LOVED THIS SHOW AND LOVED THE MUSIC FACTOR! :( BAD MOVE TNT

Comment by Rhonda Dunning – July 11, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring MEMPHIS BEAT BACK!
    BRING MEMPHIS BEAT BACK!
    Bring MEMPHIS BEAT BACK!
    BRING MEMPHIS BEAT BACK!
    Bring MEMPHIS BEAT BACK!
    BRING MEMPHIS BEAT BACK!

I think I’ve said all I need to say.

Comment by ladybluze – August 7, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very bad idea. Loved this show.

Comment by Jude Sullivan – August 13, 2012 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How do we keep networks like TNT from cancelling good shows like Memphis Beat, there must be some way to make them keep the shows I want to watch, I loved that show and I was waiting for the next season to start and now it’s gone, wish I could cancel TNT!!!

Comment by Cindi Venlos – August 18, 2012 12:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show. Can’t believe they canceled it. The casting was great. Loved the music. TNT got it wrong.

Comment by Susan Owen – November 12, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post