TNT Cancels Jason Lee's Memphis Beat

The beat will not go on: TNT has canceled cop drama Memphis Beat

The Jason Lee vehicle, which counted George Clooney among its executive producers, ran for two seasons on the cable net.

“TNT has decided not to pick up a third season of Memphis Beat,” says a spokesperson for the cabler. “The network thanks everyone involved in the production of Memphis Beat for their work on the series, including the great cast and crew. TNT wishes everyone the best.”

Lee can next be seen as a single dad who catches the eye of Maya Rudolph’s character on NBC’s Up All Night.

1. Mia says:

Awww that’s a bummer. I liked that show.

• remmez says:

Stupid. I loved Memphis Beat. Even the ratings were okay.

TnT sucks big time.

• suzyku says:

This was beyond stupid! This show was absolutely wonderful and entertaining, great characters and music. IMO TNT blew it!

• tillman says:

Not the first time TNT blew it! Idiot shows include, Supernatural,
          Southland, Franklin & Bash.
          Old RERUN SHOWS; Law & Order Long lost faith in court system without
          seeing it on tv,Angel? GET REAL!,Mentalist, again what?,CSI:NY, well if it’s not the original then forget it.
          GOOD SHOWS INCLUDED, MEMPHIS BEAT, GREEEEEAAAAT SHOW, CLOSER,LEVERAGE,
          AND RIZZOLI & ISLES.
          Memphis Beat gave us a great cop show that didn’t have to be blood and
          guts or a cop always being the super tough guy! It showed us that a good cop could be human with a family,close friends and after work life
          that you didn’t have to cover your childrens eyes. It had character, warmth, humor, honest touching moments that at sometime in ours lives we are have felt.
          I had a fondness for it for I live in Nashville,Tn and have done work in Memphis and knew some of the places seen in the opening credits, BUT AS USUAL TNT SCREWS THE POOCH AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!
          WELL LETS HOPE SOMEBODY WILL OPEN THEIR EYES BEFORE THEY ALL GET STUPID AND DESTROYS WHAT GOOD SHOWS THEY HAVE LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!

• Lloyd Pritchett says:

I agree completely with you!Something comes on worth watching and it gets cancelled.Maybe they will replace it with another stupid reality show.Yuk!

• mari says:

sorry to know that show will not be back as it was a amazing show it had humor and warmth not a lot show have that how sad that they would do this well that is all thank you for your time

• Love it, the truth comes out, you said all when you stated we didn’t have to
            cover our kids eyes. Thank God for people like you
            TNT take notes

• joan says:

I went looking for Memphis beat to see why I gavent seen it on TV . Sad to see it is gone. Such a strange way that the TNT and USA channels handle their original shows ..only showing them for a short season and then they disappear and then they are back for another short period. USA has my favorite shows on it .. and Memphis Beat on TNT was a fav , too. Rizzoli and Isles is ok but there was so much more that could have been done with Memphis and its ties to music and old musical history ! I have to settle for re-runs of Law & Order , CSI and NCIS . I like these shows even in re-runs but it’s good to have more of a choice so those shows dont get old with all the viewings.
            You are right about it being a cop show without the violence. I wish that ALL shows might get back to that concept as our nation and kids are becoming desensitized to the plight of violence in our nation . TV plays such a big part of most every family’s life , for good or bad it is true, so why not make it so our kids arent bombarded with scenes or gore or sexual content week after week ? Memphis Beat I could watch with a child in the room and not feel guilty .
            Monk ( now gone ) Pysch ( my fav and another without all the gore and sex that tv producers think we need to like a show ) Memphis Beat … All “cop” shows with humor . Try watching a Monk re run or an episode of Psych without laughing outloud at their antics ! The Monk episode where he was changing a poopy diaper was a classic ( he called 911 for help )
            Glad to see that I am not the only one missing Memphis.. Let’s hope that Rizzoli and Isles can step it up . I never understood that TNT with Hunter ( I cant remember her first name ) as the star named Grace who was a cop that had an angel.. but that was better than Franklin and Bash ( who watches that ?? That Saved By the Bell actor cannot act ) …
            Come on TNT . Get a good program and stick by it !

• Chin Ho says:

Can’t agree more with tillman, TNT executives abused themselves over cancelling this show. Any show that makes two years should be given a 3rd and 4th season to wrap up production. This show was in line with Saving Grace and The Closer.

• teedieb says:

I agree. I was looking for Memphis Beat….totally loved the show and really hate the choice TNT has made! It’s awful how our society prefer to have shows aired that gives no respect to our children….but, yet we expect our youth to act with respect, to be model citizens, to care for their fellow man. How can we place such expectations on our children when we put shows in front of them that destroys the very morals of our being! TNT chooses to uplift shows of blood, envy, murder, deceit, and a disregard to the justice system and any faith in it. I hate that our country chooses the evil over good…..and then, we wonder why are we in this situation of destruction!

• Connie says:

You are so right!!! It was a great show. I guess they rather have the dumb reality shows on., they wouldn’t know a great show if it stared them it the face or shoved up their butt. I am so mad!!! TNT wake the hell up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ruth says:

This was truly a great show!!!! I enjoyed it very much. It was comedic, which made you laugh, but had serious story-line – I loved it!!! It was different and very, very entertaining with the antics, and yet, they always managed to get the bad guys. BRING IT BACK! I also thought Leonard Howze was very good and should have been given a larger part each week, instead of appearing spasmodically. TNT – YOU DID NOT GET IT RIGHT, THIS TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jackie bauer says:

Please, bring back Memphis Beat! my favorite cop show, and the music was awsome. bring back that show and get rid of the person who wanted it cancelled. a great Fan

• I agree with suzku – Memphis Beat was one of the most entertaining cop shows on TV. How can TNT be so short sighted? Stupid, actually. And why isn’t another network picking up this great show? Damn!

• shib says:

SAD was a GREAT SHOW!!! you goofed TNT

• pat says:

they cancel everything that is good. what a bummer. stopped watching abc. tnt is next

• Bonnie says:

This was a great show, even my husband liked it…..and it’s not easy finding shows he likes. DO NOT CANCEL……….where can I complain more>>???>>

• Trish says:

That sooooo sucks!!!!! I loved that show! Bad move TNT!

• Sharon says:

It is like losing a friend to lose Dwight/Memphis Beat. Maybe if we write other networks like TBS or USA, one of them will pick it up?

• Pat Weir says:

I am so upset about the canceling of Memphis Beat. My whole family watches this show plus all my brothers and sisters. I only have seen four episodes and missed the first season. So please bring it back! Please!

• Cindy says:

Stupid, I loved Memphis Beat – But lets go NOT WATCH the tired old Dallas – No imagination, have to rely on the old shows .

• Barbara Ferguson says:

I cannot believe TNT has cancelled Memphis Beat, my husband and I enjoyed EVERY episode shown on TV!!!! I though TNT was different than the other networks, when they had a GOOD show they would keep it. Guess we were wrong!!! The acting on the show and the writing was above anything on cable or Network TV! VERY VERY SAD DAY !!!!

• Elizabeth says:

Why? I loved that show, it was one of mine and my boyfriends favorite shows to watch together. It really sucks that they canceled it.

• dusty says:

I can’t believe TNT ended one of the best shows, Memphis Beat! Now they run that stupid Dallas! Hated it then and now!

• sharon says:

TNT Network bosses made a hugh error in cancelling Memphis Beat. I always look forword to watching this show. It had everything.

• Joe says:

I like to say that this is really a stupid move by you guys. The show was great and different and that’s what made it work. I like you to understand that we don’t want ANY MORE REALITY TV SHOWS. I am tire of investing time in these networks canceling good shows. You really need to pole you view better before getting reed of this kinda shows.

2. BrianR says:

Frak TNT!!!!!!

3. jeana says:

I loved the show and the characters. I will really miss it.

4. Joanna says:

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

5. Laura says:

That sucks…really enjoyed that show!

6. Bobbi says:

What a shame! It was different and a bit offbeat. We never missed an episode.

7. Danielle says:

TNT sucks!!!! This was a great show, with a wonderful cast! Very sad news.

8. Gwen says:

This is very disappointing. This was a fun, entertaining show.

9. Sherry says:

Memphis Beat is a great show. Why would you want to cancel this show. There are a lot of other shows that should be cancelled before this one. TNT should reconsider their decision!!!!

10. Kenn Koncicki says:

Last yearthey cancelled “Lights Out”,now “Memphis Beat”…not going to bother with TNT shows anymore…at least USA knows how to develope,nurture and promote their shows io hits…

11. lacey says:

Memphis Beat was a great show and it starred Jason Lee, what more could someone want. I also loved that he sang every episode, who knew he had such a great voice.

12. Cynthia says:

I don’t believe it! That was one of my favorite shows. Jason was amazing and I loved the styling and the music. What were they thinking!

13. Carmichael says:

That sucks. It had such a great cast.

14. Lorie says:

Aw, man! What a shame. I really liked this show and its cast.

15. Sam says:

Are you kidding????? This is a great show for the summer. It also did well on TNT. Wow… sucks!

16. frafra says:

That sucks….. first they canceled Men of a Certain Age and now Memphis Beat… I am going to cancel TNT.

17. Lyn says:

I loved this show…. thought it was a good vehicle for Jason Lee. Liked DJ Qualls’ character too.

18. LynnH says:

This is terrible news! Memphis Beat is one of my favorite shows on any network. It’s wonderfully quirky, great music, with characters who truly come to life. SO much better than most of what’s on TV. Words cannot express my disappointment. I’m really going to miss this one.

19. Gretchen says:

That was one of my fave shows. I had a feeling they cancel it. I thought it was doing decent.

20. Julian says:

Within just a a few months TNT has canceled its two best shows “Men of a Certain Age” & this … probably have no reason to watch TNT now.

21. Carol S says:

The hubs and I really enjoyed Memphis Beat, it is sad to see it go. The music and cast made it fun to watch. Good luck to the cast, looking forward to seeing where they all appear next! We try not to get too attached to a show anymore as cancellations just hurt the heart!

22. Tikkanen says:

that’s too bad. I enjoyed watching Jason Lee and the ensemble cast, and the offbeat chemistry they shared.

23. Sound says:

This makes me sad. Memphis Beat was a refreshing change from all the big city cop shows. btw…all the songs the character of Dwight sang were actually prerecorded for the show by Mark Arnell.

24. Cameron says:

At long last. As someone from Memphis, this show in no way was anything like the city. They didn’t even try to get close.

• tvlover44 says:

another memphian here, and i totally agree. i’m sorry for folks who were fans (and as a huge fan of ‘men of a certain age’ i know how you feel), but geez… just because the show was filmed in louisiana shouldn’t have meant that the resulting show didn’t even evoke memphis authentically on any level.

25. Susan Boyog says:

What a shame! One of my favorite shows. I’ll miss all the fine actors and actresses. :(

26. Nate says:

And HawthoRNe was recently given the ax too. No show has lasted on TNT for more than three seasons/years other than The Closer…and Leverage? How on earth has Leverage lasted so long? Anyway, TNT alreay had a lot on tap for Summer 2012, so it’s probably just cleaning house now.

27. Cilee says:

What a disappointment. God forbid they support original scripted shows. I guess they need the time slot for unending repeats of B movies.

28. Kel says:

Dang it!! We LOVED this show -what a crying shame. Summer without Dwight, Whitehead, and Sutton just won’t be the same….stupid TNT. Can someone else please pick this show up?!?!?? Pretty please?

• Jenny G says:

I like your thinking Kel, but I don’t think it’s going to happen. The only network I can think of that might pick it up, would be USA. Again though I doubt it would happen. It was a fun show, that I will sorely miss.

29. Cosima says:

Oh no!!!!! A big fave of mine. Loved the whole cast and loved them trying to make New Orleans look like Memphis, my home town. Luv NO too. SO SAD about this!!!!!

30. HJP says:

Oh cmon..what am I going to watch now. I really liked this show and enjoyed each story plot. Is there anything that can be done to bring it back?

31. Susie says:

Rats! I really hate to see that one go. I liked the different twist and the homage to Elvis, Could it possibly be picked up by another network?

32. Dottie654 says:

(I didn’t realize Light’s Out had been cancelled by FX. What a shame. It was an excellent show but, in truth, I am not sure what direction it could take to survive another season.) NOW!!!! WTF is wrong with TNT? They could always be counted upon to pick up shows the other channels wouldn’t/couldn’t carry. I find it interesting that NO REASON WAS GIVEN FOR THE CANCELLATION!! That tells me they don’t have a good one. I loved this show. It was different, quirky, not your run of the mill cop show. And Jason Lee was perfectly cast as were the rest of the characters. I know these channels don’t give a flying fig what the viewers want or like, but I hope they will rethink this move and give it another season. If not, I can just imagine what POS they will schedule to replace it. I am VERY DISAPPOINTED in TNT and their programming people.

33. Tania says:

Well, I must be the only one that found Memphis Beat dire. Nevertheless, I know that many did like it and knowing that a series that one likes has been cancelled really ‘sucks’ for lack of a better word.

Does anyone know if The Glades over at A&E has been picked up for a third season? Reading about all these cancellations makes me twitchy.

• Carolyn says:

The Glades has been picked up for next season… Really enjoyed Memphis Beat, it was
      fun, had music, and interesting characters. My husband watches very few shows, but
      was a fan. Good shows never seem to last…

34. Polly says:

nooooooooooooooooooooo! i hate you TNT! don’t you dare touch falling skies after season 2!

35. Ethel says:

Darn shame! My summer viewing is getting less and less. Great show and also great cast.Love me some DJ Qualls. TNT is losing fans with their stupid decisions. Leverage is one of my favorite shows and if that is cancelled anytime soon, I am giving up on TNT. I also would like news on the Glades and it’s status

36. Robin White says:

Absolutely disapointing!!! Memphis Best was one of the best shows to come along in a VERY LONG time!

37. Cheddie says:

Goodbye intelligent TV on TNT – First, Men of a Certain Age, now Memphis Beat. Hello, sophomoric shows Rizzoli and Bash or is it Franklin & Isles – my eyes just glaze over at the terrible writing.

38. Lisa says:

It WAS NOT Jason Lee singing. He lipped synced to another singer. Before the show premiered he was on a talk show and explained about that. Although he did do a little Elvis on that show and was pretty good.

39. Lin says:

a shame! liked ths show

40. Karen says:

I’m mad! I loved this show! tptb at tnt have not checked their demographics lately. They cancel MOCA,MB, Hawthorne, and last season of the Closer. I guess I’ll stick with USA.

41. Christine says:

So disappointed! Memphis Beat was a great, quirky show with endearing characters and a pace that perfectly represented the South.

42. Jason says:

This was one of my favorite shows. So bummed out. BOOO TNT… JUST BOOO!

43. fatgirl says:

they are probably gonna put some stupid reality show like jersey shore on or some drivel like that they always cancel the good ones guess they just dont want people to watch tnt if they drop the closer ill just delete it off my tv watching lineup

44. lynda says:

my daughter and i look forward to this great show every week. for what reason would they take off memphis beat? fantastic cast, great writing. bring it back, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

45. Rich says:

TNT isn’t making any new fans by announcing this particular cancellation.

I had the feeling things would shake out this way after all the other shows got a renewal months ago though.

First Procedural that didn’t feel as such. The characters were equally fleshed out all around and I looked forward to the banter.

It would be nice if ‘Memphis Beat’ got picked up by USA or AMC. But I doubt it.

So sad.

46. Valerie McClure says:

I am so disappointed! This was one of the BEST SHOWS on TV. They didn’t give it long enough! We loved all of the characters and thought the story lines were so much better than the usual “blood and guts” cop shows. All of the characters were wonderful in their own different way. What a shame! I am going to have to pass on the bad news to my family. We thought the Elvis songs were incredible and gave the cop another side to his personality. It was actually a show that we looked forward to. Too bad I wish they would re-consider but it looks like the main character has already moved on.

• lacey says:

I loved that each episode of Memphis Beat didn’t have a murder. I get so sick of the murder mystery shows and thought Memphis Beat was a refreshing change. And I loved that each episode made you feel like you part of the police family and part of Dwight’s family. I hated his ex-wife instantly because I couldn’t understand how a woman could leave this incredible man.

47. Liz says:

I don’t know why I bother turning on the TV. One by one all the shows I watch disappear, i.e., Memphis Beat and Charlie’s Angels.
    Memphis Beat was an enjoyable and believeable show. Great casting.

48. Peggy says:

I am so disappointed. I adore the sexy and very hot Dwight character and his sexy singing in every episode. I never watched TNT but watched Memphis Beat every week. I have been waiting for its return every month. The cast was developing such interesting characters too and the storylines were becoming far more sophisticated. This is the worst news ever. Please George Clooney do something!

49. Bella says:

I loved that show! I really liked the chemistry between all of the characters at the police station. They should have promoted it more.

50. Helen says:

Doggone it!! They cancel Memphis Beat and keep running that popularity contest they call Dancing with the Stars! Go figure. Now that show should at least be cut down in time, revamped(no more back stage antics which are tortous to watch, and let the judges be the ones to decide who goes and who stays.