Secret Circle Boss Defends [Spoiler]'s Death!

[Warning: If you haven’t watched this week’s The Secret Circle yet, what’s your excuse? But seriously, the following contains major spoilers, so go catch up and then read on.]

The Secret Circle made a bold move in this week’s episode, one akin to its Thursday night companion The Vampire Diaries, by killing off a major character. Below, executive producer Andrew Miller shares with TVLine why he chose Nick (played by Louis Hunter) as the show’s first big casualty and what it means for the other characters — his sort-of girlfriend Melissa, in particular — going forward.

TVLINE | That was a big episode. Do you consider it a turning point in the series?
Yeah, I think it is. It was a very, very difficult episode for us because, obviously, it was a huge thing to kill one of our characters ,and none of us took it lightly. But it felt like a turning point because we wanted to set the story in a certain direction, and it just felt like you couldn’t do that without really grounding the reality of the show and setting up a real sense of consequences for actions.

TVLINE | The demon could have infected and ultimately led to the demise of any character. Why did you choose Nick?
Again, it was an impossibly hard decision. Looking at Cassie and Adam, their relationship or their story almost seems like it’s just starting. All the stories are just starting, but with Nick, we wanted to craft a four-episode arc where he starts as being this kind of mysterious, sort of jerk. And in a very short period, we wanted to take him from that place to this sort of romantic hero. And it just seemed like he was the best guy to do it with. And particularly with his relationship with Melissa, which became one of our favorite storylines, it felt like he was the perfect guy to do it with because we could make a very concise arc – a kind of coming-of-age and then, unfortunately, meeting a horrible end.

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Secret Circle, Terra Nova, Smallville (!) and More

TVLINE | Did you ever waver, or was it always going to be Nick?
We knew it was going to be Nick from the beginning. Louis [Hunter] is a terrific actor and was really great about it and understood where we were going. I think he did an amazing job in last night’s episode and certainly all the episodes up to that point.

TVLINE | Did the other cast members know he was going to be killed off? Or was it a surprise to them?
They knew a little bit later. We talked to Louis first so we could discuss what the plan was and where the idea came from. And then we went through and told the rest of the cast. Everybody was very sad about the whole thing, obviously, but they were great about it.

TVLINE | You have very passionate fans, because of the books. What would you say to the ones who are upset that you’ve strayed from the source material?
I’m a huge fan of the books too, so I certainly know where they’re coming from. For us, the books are an amazing base for character and world and ideas, but they only go so far, because it’s just a three book series. What we’re shooting for is, hopefully, something that will run for many, many years. Because of that, we need to make changes. You can’t follow the books that closely because the books are going in a very specific direction, and we can’t do that. So there’s going to be changes. It’s not like Game of Thrones where there’s so much material to tap into for season after season. In this case, by nature of the fact that there are only three books in the series, we’re going to have to make some changes no matter what. All those changes are going to be difficult. Even the idea of limiting the circle to begin with was heartbreaking to me because there’s so many other characters that I just love from the book series. But again, it’s just the necessity of the television world and the nature of doing 22 episodes each year. So I sympathize. I understand. I feel much the same way. But I’m hoping many of the changes we make, people will love and, hopefully, there’ll be more of those changes than the changes people are sad about.

Secret Circle Casting News: American Dreams Alum Is Melissa’s Cousin

TVLINE | Going forward, how is Nick’s death going to affect the group and their desire to use magic and find answers about what happened 16 years ago?
That was an important thing for us because it feels like a lot of “fun and games,” this magic. The next episode really explores what it means to lose someone. It’s something that was important to me to tackle early on and, again, define the emotional reality of our world. You can’t look at magic the same way again after something like this happens to someone you love. That will affect how they proceed and what their goals are for their gifts.

TVLINE | How will Melissa cope with the loss?
Not well. It’s tragic for everyone, but so tragic for Melissa because she, for the first time in her life, found someone who really did understand her by the end and could see that she was more than just an appendage to Faye. I feel like Melissa has been living in Faye’s shadow for their entire friendship, which goes back forever. This is the first time she’s been stepping outside that shadow, and Nick was there to receive her. It was such a wonderful thing. Losing that person is going to be devastating for her and will affect the way she sees herself and the way she sees Faye and some of the others.

TVLINE | Melissa and Faye had their differences over Nick. Does this bring them closer together or push them apart?
What we’ll explore in the next episode is how everyone reacts to death in different ways. Sometimes, it seems callous. And sometimes, it seems inappropriate. Sometimes, it’s exactly what you need. You can never anticipate the way you’re going to react to this situation. Faye and Melissa will struggle to find the right balance, how to help each other through this tragedy. And in finding that balance, hopefully, their relationship will get stronger — but it may take a little while.

TVLINE | It seems the dangers of magic are more real not only to the kids now, but also to the parents. How are Dawn and Charles, especially, coping with what they’ve done?
Like with the kids, the tragedy affects them very, very deeply. They each react in very different ways and as parents. While Nick wasn’t one of their own, it was basically like one of their own. It brings what their plan is really to the forefront of their minds. It will cause them – at least some of them – to question what they’re doing and how to move forward. And that could become a problem in their relationship in ways they didn’t anticipate.

Secret Circle fans, are you sad to see Nick go? Was the death a shock to you?

1. Of all the cast they got rid of Louis Hunter, the only one that seemed to be clicking. The show has been such a slow pace and it’s probably not doing to remain on my DVR much longer.

• Kathryn says:

Yeah, I took it off my DVR this morning. I’m sorry, but with the exception of Faye and Nick all the other character are bland and boring. Nick had the potential to become the Damon Salvatore of the show. Stupid stupid move.

• Tarc says:

Frankly, Nick was pretty and the most bland and dull of the six. I’m not a real fan of killing off characters, but the actor knew in advance of accepting the role, and of the six, he was easily the most dispensable.

• Mark says:

My issue with this show now is the complete lack of interesting Male characters.

Thomas Dekker’s character is just not… anything. At all. It’s such a common, predictable storyline and he only ever plays on that. He has no personality, he’s just “nice guy”.

I’d compare him to Stefan, but TVD always knew how to take a left turn on your expectations with him.

• Russ says:

Well they have to bring in someone who is related to Nick to complete the circle of the six families. Hopefully it will be a male.

• D says:

agreed completely. biggest problem is the expressionless wooden actors and boring storyline. i knew Nick was going to die because his character was the least compelling and that the model, um, actor, who played him was so awful. he looked like he was on some sort of photo shoot whenever the camera was on him.

• Tarc says:

I’m not sure how you could not think Gale Harold’s character isn’t interesting, but I think that you need to give Dekker a break – we’re only three or four episodes (of 22) into the season (not to mention that he’s playing a 16-17 year old guy from a very small town). we’ve seen Dekker in other things, and we know that he can deliver, so I think it’s a matter of time and storyline.

• ErixN says:

Yeah, I was hoping Adam would die. I don’t care for that character as he comes off extremely creepy.

• Sylvie says:

I took it off too. Nick was my favorite caractere. The triangle with Diana, Cassie and Adam is so boring. I agree with you Nick had the potential to become the Damon Salvatore of the show. Last night episode totally killed the show for me.

• Expecto says:

Please. all of you. stop whining and complaining! it has only been 5 episodes. Stop comparing it to the Vampire Diaries. The people should re-watch the first four episodes of the first season of TVD. Its not actually that too exciting, the same one as this but it evolved. SO you people just hope. STOP COMPLAINING! YOU ARE NOT THE DIRECTORS OF THE SHOW!

• Aaddddfm says:

YES! I feel like people are expecting it to start out as a-mazing and TVD is now. For me TVD didn’t become so great until Vicky died.

• Mark says:

TVD moved at a much faster pace and basically became great by the fourth episode. I didn’t have much faith in Fain & Craft to hit a similar pace, and tried to temper my expectations in comparison, but none of TSC’s characters have a hook. It’s bland and slow.

• CA says:

No….but we are fans. And while I strongly do believe in the show’s creators and show runners the right to progress a story as is necessary; I equally believe in the right of fans to complain of the change, especially if they were invested in the character killed off.

• Crystal says:

No one has to stop “whining and complaining”or comparing it the Vampire Diaries. People are allowed to express their opinions. If it bothers you so much, consider sticking strictly to fanboards though it’s highly unlikely you will find one where no one says anything negative about the show because complants about a storyline on a show is inevitable.

I’m not going to touch the ridiculous stop complaining, you are no directors of the show because it’s impossible without insulting you.

• JasonFTW says:

Its is the 5th episode give the show some time to expand and flesh out the somewhat boring characters (Diana, Adam, Melissa). You might be pleasantly surprised.

• chris08 says:

I agree with all of you! They made this character “Melissa” who wasn’t even mentioned in the book (what I mean is the character “Melissa”,but the name Melissa Quincey was mentioned in the book who was Laurel’s late mother). They cut the circle from 12 to 6 (I think they can make 12 possible, just look at “Glee”. They got 10 or so characters, but they tend to handle all of them and distribute their character development well. In the Secret Circle, some of it’s members’ plot, like Sean or Suzan, aren’t that much heavy, so they can still focus on Cassie, Nick, Adam, and Diana who are the most essential part of the book). Wait, did I say “Nick” as one of the most important character? Yes. He’s important, to the point that the future sequel of the trilogy revolves on Nick being in a coma. Right? Anyway, the changes aforementioned can be forgivable. But killing one of the MOST IMPORTANT CHARACTERS in the book? I don’t think so. They’re saying that the trilogy was written “too short” for a TV series? Well, they should have followed it and when they already meet the endpoint of the books, that’s the perfect time for such inventions. Or they can at least ask Smith’s ideas about the flow of the story. Yeah, we can give producers and writers a break, but come on, they should have at least made a brand new story that resembles the book. The “Rip-off” accusation is milder and more acceptable than ruining the book to the ground. Well, I’m still going to watch it and see why the hell did they do such change. To the producers: If you’re hoping that viewers are going to appreciate your show, well, I think those plain viewers can, but the books avid fans and lovers like me? Don’t expect too much from us, because honestly, I’m more eager waiting for L.J. Smith’s sequel to the trilogy than waiting for the next few episodes of the TV Series.

• Demeter003 says:

I completely agree. Nick was such a great and major character of the book and from the material given they could have DONE SO MUCH MORE with him than they did. I was really hoping if they were going to kill of anyone it would have been Melissa. Mainly because that character wasn’t in the book to begin with and is really really boring in the show.

More importantly…what? L.J Smith is making a sequel to the trilogy??? she wrote is SO long ago…was this announced or are you just hoping?

• Tarc says:

Actually, the books had some good ideas, but (as is) the original story and storyline are completely unsuitable for a television adaptation. Full stop. The budget could never survive 12 primary characters. Full stop. The television adaptation is never, ever going to be like the original books (just like with Vampire Diaries or, say, the X-Men movies). Full stop. Get over it, move on, and enjoy the ride.

• AT says:

First, your “full stop” repetition comes across as rude and antagonistic. Second, I think you’re kind of missing the point. Of course having 12 prominent cast members on the show on this particular channel wouldn’t work (although larger casts can work – see Lost or Battlestar Galactica; how many Cylon prototypes were there?) for budget reasons. But there’s no reason there still couldn’t have been 12 in the circle. Let’s take Hellcats for example. I was a cheerleader and let me tell you it wouldn’t be believable to have say a six member competitive squad. And thankfully they didn’t do that. Instead they had a large squad with only some of the characters playing prominently in the series. They could have done the same thing on this show. Six is too small. It doesn’t feel big enough. So half of the circle would be main characters with the others recurring. Perhaps they could play bigger parts in various times of the show. Veronica Mars for instance had a lot of side characters because there needed to be a lot of suspects. But they were not in every episode. That would have been a smart alternative for this series.

That said, they don’t necessarily need to make it 12. But they should have tried to get a little closer to the books, character wise. What I would have done (if I couldn’t have the whole circle) is have Cassie, Adam, Diana, Faye and Nick of course. But I would give Diana and Faye each a best friend. So I would have combined some of the traits of Laurel and Melanie into one character. Then I would put a few of the Deborah traits (the motorcycle riding tough girl) into Faye and keep Susan as a character because her ditziness would balance out the other characters. Then I would have kept the twins Chris and Doug as recurring characters and cut Sean (unfortunately since he has a very important role, but he’s the least interesting). So that would make the circle: Cassie, Diana, Faye, Adam, Chris, Doug, Nick, Susan and Laurel (or Melanie). That would make the circle 9 with only half of them playing a prominent role in every episode. That I think would have been a fair compromise. Oh and yes, I would have kept their personalities from the books for the most part.

• tarc says:

Feel free to take the repetition however you like – they remain facts according to the producers. A CW budget doesn’t support a whole lot of full time cast. It’s not quite how I would have done it, but the CW is not employing me to script the show. The facts remain.

• Brooke says:

I’m not looking forward to anything new written by L.J. Smith. Did you read the new Vampire Diaries sequels? It’s like she took acid before writing fanfic. Her original books remain my favorite young adult novels from my young adult days, and while they’ll never win any literary awards, they’re light years above her newest horrid dreck.

• Jenn says:

Completely agree. The Secret Circle Trilogy was my favorite series of books when I was a kid. However I’d never read The Vampire Diaries back then so I read them after watching the show as an adult. The original Vampire Diaries books were bad, but the more recent sequels were just plain horrible. She tried to take a series that began in the 90s (or somewhere there abouts) and make it come off like the original stories were written recently when she picked it up in her recent books. The problem being and correct me if I’m wrong but I could have sworn she actually gave years in the original books and funny I don’t remember people texting in 1992. I mean I get the need to capitalize and what has now become a phenomenon because of the success of the television series but the inconsistencies of trying to jump the series ten to fifteen years after it was originally set then to pretend it was always set there was not a smooth move for her as a writer. I was thinking about picking up The Secret Circle again to read when I saw this coming out, but after reading The Vampire Diaries novels I’m afraid to because I don’t want to take a beloved book memory and end up wondering what in the world made me like this book so much. I’m still withholding judgement on the tv show for this one. It’s alright but it is extremely different from what little I remember about the books, well except maybe Faye because that’s exactly how I pictured her. And the pacing is a bit slow as well as the characters seeming a little too trusting. I mean there’s all but been a flashing sign on Jake’s head saying witch hunter but they haven’t noticed. Also while the television character of Nick wasn’t all that intriguing, he was much better looking than any of the other actors we’ve seen on the show.

• TV addict says:

Every single time a CW show isn’t working they kill off a mayor character as if that would be enough to turn them into “Game of Thrones” or something: Guess what? It’s NOT working! Lost, The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones’s deaths worked because the characters were engaging. That’s NOT the case with any single character in the CW: THAT’S why you’re losing audience! Killing off characters is not going to make a damn difference, it’s just going to alienate the audience.

• Tarc says:

I also not a fan of killing off characters, but they had planned this one, hiring in an actor that was aware upfront (so much so, he even had an idea of the number of episodes that he’d get). They did it for a reason – to try and make the point that this wasn’t going to be one of those shows where you can assume that all the characters will survive from week to week. But, as we’ve seen over and over again in the last couple years, people get attached to characters fairly quickly and get upset (and quit watching or buying, etc.) when you do kill off favorites. I personally dropped Torchwood the instant they killed off the third (of five) team members in as many episodes. It was simply unforgivable, and I don’t regret it (if anything, I regret watching those last three episodes because they ruined the whole show for me in perpetuity and retroactively). The writers have to tread very, very carefully with killing off main characters.

2. Claudia says:

I’m not watching anymore. Nick was one of the highlights of the series, and they could get rid of Melissa instead. Plus he was on the books. It’s senseless!

• Sarah says:

I agree, if only because the circle is now 1 boy and 4 girls. It’s way too unbalanced.

• Ka'lel says:

I thought about it too. It was a little unbalanced at first, now it’s just sh*tty… 4 women and a dude…?

• Autumn says:

There is a new guy on a promo cast picture floating around. I assume he is the replacement to Nick. So now we only have 4 characters from the circle out of 12. Seriously. And sadly even they don’t resemble their characters from the books. Maybe Faye? A little.

• Tarc says:

And that’s a good thing – the books are pretty poorly written and incredibly juvenile – far too juvenile to support a modern CW TV show. A cast of 12 is impracticle for both the budget and to (standard American dimwitted) viewers. The adaption is still on shaky ground to me, but it has potential.

• AT says:

To TARC. You seem to have some contempt for the book series. By calling it juvenile you seem to have a lack of understanding for the books. It’s a young adult paranormal romance series written for pre-teen and teen girls in the early 90s. The books were actually ahead of their time. Not only that, YA fiction in this style were written very different than they are now. And L.J. Smith is a very talented YA writer who has a great understanding of how to write mythology and the bonding between teenage girls. Your comment shows a complete lack of understanding of urban YA fantasy novels and these books in general. Do you have to like them? No. But certainly they are not poorly written. I’ve already responded to you about the 12 being impractical. That all said, I do agree the adaptation is on shaky ground and I still have hope for it because the problems can still be fixed at this point. But they better hurry or they will lose their audience.

• Tarc says:

@At – Contempt? Not at all. Just being real (as I was in my above reply). I read the books over the last month, and as someone that occasionally gets paid to write fiction, it’s my opinion (and one with a pretty solid basis). I’m quite familiar with the genre (sorry), and I’m fine with my view of SC and VD. They both are a hundred times better than Twilight – the writing there was so very bad – but there are a lot better writers out there.

• Tarc says:

Enter Jake, Nick’s brother – the one in the promos for next week.

• Jules says:

LJ Smith’s writing is intended for a pre-teen/teen audience – ergo…juvenile. It’s not meant to be a slight. It is what it is. I read TVD books AFTER falling in love with the show. The books, while ok, paled in comparison to what I saw on the screen. Just like I can’t stand ANY of the Twilight books – the movies are passable entertainment. True Blood, on the other hand, took the books and added a few enhancements but ultimately perverted the central core of the Southern Vampire Mysteries to the point where they’re unrecognizable. AND, ironically, seem to have influenced Charlaine Harris in a not so stellar way.

Point is this: I agree that tampering with the core of canon is dangerous when adapting a novel (or novels) to the small screen. That being said most of these adaptations are done for brand recognition only. The hope is for a built in fan base. Hopefully the show runners can sustain.

3. Sarah says:

So what does this mean for the circle exactly? WIll their magic be less strong, is the circle even bound anymore with the loss of a member?
    Also what did he mean by limiting the circle, was the circle larger in the books or something?

• Russ says:

I know right. Everyone seems so stuck on Nick’s death that they can’t look past it and see how it will effect the series. While I was really starting to like Nick and was completely shocked and sad that he died, I kinda love it. I’m extremely interest in what is going to happen, and hopefully teach the others (Faye) that magic isn’t to be messed with.

4. maja says:

My excuse is that I just can’t get into this show. I tried and I like Thomas Dekker when he is not drunk driving but this show is just so mediocre in everything. Cast, plot, character development…

It feels way too familiar to TVD and i know it’s mostly intentional (same author, same series runners, same concept) and now they go with the same bold move like in TVD (killing Vicky) and kill a major character to gather interest and … if your show isn’t good enough to create buzz without having to kill off someone I don’t know if it’s worth it!

• Jesse says:

Well, Vicky was never loved while Nick was the only one (besides Faye), which actually caught interest to the series. Get rif of boring Melissa instead! I expect drops next episode.

• Russ says:

WHAT? I kinda like Vicky/she was just there, but when Damon turned her I loved it. I liked vampire vicky a whole lot more and was utterly shocked when she was killed the first time and really sad when Stefan staked her.
        While Nick the only storyline he had was being with Melissa, and while I was starting to like him more he was only around for five episode so I was shocked by his death and a little sad but I wasn’t to attached to his character. I also hope people still watch cause his death just made the show a lot more interesting.

• Tarc says:

You’re confusing the books and the TV series – Nick on the show had about six lines, took his shirt off frequently, and spent the rest of the time pouting like a supermodel looking at the Kraft food table. Nothing against the actor, but he wasn’t given enough (none of them have been so far) for most people to ‘love’ them yet. Since it’s happened hundreds of times now, you might think people wikk catch on that the Tv show is not the book (or the movie is not the comic book).

• AT says:

Because people weren’t happy they killed off Nick they can’t tell the difference between the books and the show? That’s quite the leap. Well anyway, I think the majority of fans understand that adaptations are different than the source material. But if you are going to make changes, make them better. So far they haven’t done that. Their choices, besides with the parents, have been on the bland side. That is easily fixable, but the series is having a hard time catching on with the audience. That said, I agree the way Nick was written on the show and even poorly cast (he was improving) made him a weak link. They should have just written the character right and cast him properly in the first place. I think the replacement coming next week will improve the series though since I hear they’re making him more like book Nick. I guess they should have just done that in the first place so he could have kept the character’s name. I personally do not have problems with changes, but if you don’t actually want to “adapt” the books, but instead want to completely change them so that the only real similarity is the characters’ names then you may as well just not make it an adaption. Instead make it original and come up with your own names. I do like the series though. I just think that they need to start returning more to the source material. It will improve the show.

• Tarc says:

Thank you for making my point. Book fans of Nick are moaning about the death of a barely there character in the TV series. *shrugs* That seems like confusing the books and the television series to me. As is quite obvious, the books and the television series are almost unrelated.

• Russ says:

Well I have not read the books, but how do you know that this change isn’t better. I mean the episode aired 4 days ago. This could be the change that transitions the show from bland to exciting. Nick was always going to die he talks about it in the interview , the reason they hired Louis Hunter was because they were going to kill him.

5. Ayna says:

Yes, the circle consists of twelve in the books.

6. verybookish says:

“Slither” was a great episode. I was surprised Nick was killed, and I’ll miss him – he was so pretty. It made for a gripping, intense episode, and I can’t wait to see how they all deal with it, especially Melissa who was closest to him, and Charles who was clearly feeling remorse over it even while he was killing him.

7. Autumn says:

I’ve always been open for book to tv adaptations and I feel that I’ve been very open to the changes they made (I especially love the change they made with the parents) but now I’m just getting annoyed. You can still follow the source of the books even though it’s a trilogy and go from there. The ending is a great beginning for a series. Andrew Miller comes across a little defensive in the interview and it’s probably because they are having a bit of a backlash. There’s a rumor going around that they decided to kill Nick off because the actor was weak (yes he did need some improvement and he was getting better). But honestly, they should have picked someone better to begin with. But here is the problem. Nick has one of the most important parts of the book series thanks to the Adam/Cassie/Nick triangle. It’s like doing a Twilight show without Jacob. Some fans are going to react negatively. It’s also like getting rid of the bad boy from the story, like Damon and then patting themselves on the back (note to producers: cast better the first time around). It’s weird and it came across as contrived. So it was hard to get rid of all the characters? I doubt it. They created Melissa. Why not just use Deborah who is amazing? Actually, have the full circle but just have them be prominent SOMETIMES so they are not there all the time and not full cast members. And why not make Cassie shy? Give her room to change and grow. Why not have witches versus the outsiders. That was cool and would work on a show that could last several years. If they wanted to make changes from the books they should have made better ones because so far (excepting the parent arc which is carrying the show right now) their choices have been weaker in comparison. I mean, why change the Cassie/Adam meeting. Why? I don’t get it. Oh, and get some women writers since this is a show for women. Maybe then things will start making sense. One more thing, explain what the heck is going on with only six families and 12 parents because no one gets it. No one.

• Kike says:

Totally agree with you, except for the part: “Oh, and get some women writers since this is a show for women.” CW is not going after that demo anymore

• Autumn says:

Well if that is the case then why pick a show that likely appeals more to women based on books that generally girls read? Even if it wasn’t, they need to have a female presence since the old female showrunners left (I really wish they hadn’t).

• Socaljim says:

Thank YOU!! I have never read any of the Secret Circle books and was very confused by the 12 parents and 6 families. I thought at first that maybe only six where in the circle and each of the respective Husbands/Wives didn’t have power and just happened to be there when the fire happened. Then with Dawn and her father in-law both being witches and by the conversations on the show it made it seem like they were all witches, my confusion grew. It makes more since with 12 families but still that is a very shallow gene pool. They must be marrying first cousins! With only 6 families you are getting gross. I think the only way to write their way out of this is to make any non-witch that joins the circle share the power or bring more teen witches to town. Maybe a rival family with a bad boy kid that is trying to steal the circles power because they are running from demons or witch hunters. Then at the last minute he switches sides because he fell in love with one of the girls. With Nick gone the show is very unbalanced and just bringing in more no “power” boys isn’t going to balance it.

• Katie says:

I wish people would stop comparing Nick to Damon from TVD. I love both shows, but no way could Nick, in any form, be able to stand beside Damon. Damon effortlessly oozes charm and danger, not something Nick was able to achieve. I don’t know anything about the book series, so maybe that’s how the book-version was, but the television character just couldn’t pull it off. Not that I had anything against Nick, or the actor, but it’s like comparing apples and parrots.

• Marie says:

I totally agree with you on that one!! Nick could never have been a Damon. I know nothing about the SC books either, but as a TV character, I don’t really care about him. Honestly, I’m a big big reader and I usually read the book from which the TV Show was created and vice versa and 95% of the time, I would say that the book is always better.
        Vampire Diaries was by far one of the worst book series I have EVER read. Childish, weird, uncomfortable (Elena floating in the air as a pseudo angel after being bring back to life, without forgetting the fact that it was said she didn’t like wearing underwear.. (WHY?)…).. And that’s only one thing thing that was weird…
        And I’m a hugeeee fan of the TV show. And Damon. TVD is my favorite TV Show on air. So if the SC books are in the same vibe as the VD ones, I’m gonna trust the show runners and writers in their decision to kill off Nick.

• Russ says:

In a interview I read of Louis Hunter (Nick) he stated that Miller told him that Nick was going to be killed off in the first season, he was just unsure of when. I didn’t read the books so I don’t know anything about the love triangle thing or Cassie and Adam meeting, but they do need to explain the 12 parents more because were they all witches is that what they impeded?

• Tarc says:

Thanks for the thoughful post. Part of the reasons for some of the things that bother you are simply due to the reality of converting a book property to a television series. A cast of 12 core characters is not financially feasible (particularly over a few years), and American audiences just don’t like their stories to be that complex (and Glee gets creamed for it all the time, plus, they bring in and get rid of very young (ie cheap) actors). They decided right up front to kill off Nick – to show that there is real possibility that characters can die – but they’ll immediately add in a replacement (Jake, Nick’s brother – played by a better, hotter actor, who looks far more like that Damon Salvatore character that some are interested in). You might also consider Melissa is also slated to die, to be replaced by one of the ‘known’ characters. The lead, Cassie, was never going to be shy on TV – it’s boring, and a total turn off to most TV viewers. In a book, you can explore the inner life of a ‘shy’ character, but on TV, it never works. Same reason for the initial meeting of Cassie and Nick – there are six actual spoken lines and way, way too much inner dialog and ‘feelings'; it just does not work at all on TV. A pilot that didn’t set up the Secret Circle in one episode would NEVR get greenlighted. Honestly, we’ve seen what Kevin Williamson did with Vampire Diaries, so we just have to give then a shot at letting them reinvent the concept of the book series. The CW gave them 22 eps to do it.

• AT says:

I’m sorry but I just have to respond to you again. Is there a reason why you want to come across as so insulting? Americans don’t like complex shows? Nice with the stereotype there. I’m going to skip over a bunch of what you’ve said here since I’ve already responded to you about 12 cast members earlier. I’m going to jump right to your bit about Cassie. How do you know a shy character is a turn off to most TV viewers? Really? Why? In the books it’s not like Cassie isn’t interesting. So it’s okay for a character like Harry Potter to be awkward, but not a female character? She’s not a mouse. Though I would argue that there are some very interesting characters on the shy side. Take “Amelie” for instance. Brilliant characterization. And if audiences didn’t like girls who aren’t your typical, outgoing popular heroine, then why did “Twilight” do so well? Love it or hate it, the books and movies clicked with a LARGE audience. I wonder if you are imagining that a shy character would come across as someone who has nothing interesting to say? In the books Cassie is introduced as ordinary, even plain (that definitely worked for Jane Eyre). She’s set up metaphorically to be like a unicorn; mysterious and shy, but empathetic and brave. Not your typical heroine for sure. On the show, Cassie is introduced to be very strong, outspoken and very take charge. She’s someone who can take care of herself and doesn’t really need anyone. MY OPINION: It seems to be the theory that in modern shows, girls must be the outgoing, strong-willed type (even if they’re insecure). Unfortunately, that makes it seem like all the girls are practically the same character with slight variations. For instance, Cassie is outgoing and pretty but she chooses to be a loner. Faye is outgoing and pretty but has a wild side. Diana is outgoing and pretty but is more of a goodie-goodie. They should have made Cassie more like her book character and less like Lux. It’s fine to have outgoing, pretty girls, but what’s wrong with having the main character be a little bit shy in the beginning? It makes her growth that much more interesting. Not to mention it would have instantly made her more likeable to the audience. Basically, they should have gone more with book Cassie. I think this is fixable though (I actually am a fan and am pointing out little things from my perspective and opinion that could improve it because I want the show to reach its potential. How to fix what I think makes the characters too one noted: Reveal that Cassie chooses to be a loner because she’s afraid to actually try and fit in because she fears rejection. She puts on a hard front so now she needs to soften. Let her show different sides. Make her seem less annoyed all the time. Make her more human. Let her flaws scream out. It’s the flaws and her weaknesses that will make her soar as a character. For instance (sorry for the long post) in the books when Cassie first meets Adam he is an outcast because all the snobbish people on the Cape seem to have a bizarre hatred for him. In fact, there are people “hunting” him. Cassie has no idea why. It’s set up to be a mystery. She even thinks she hears the mean girl she’s with call him a “witch,” but she must have misheard. There’s no such thing as witches, right? When Adam passes her, the girl Portia screams at her to avert her eyes and look down. But Cassie thinks this is cruel and overcomes her shyness and looks up at him. They instantly connect. This makes her interesting and works in an adaptation. Why? Because she’s flawed. But in this moment, she overcomes her weakness and turns it into a strength. When she does something brave, it’s more noticeable. Cassie is a character full of surprises, which is why Nick in the books grows to like her and why she earns the respect of the entire circle. When you give them weaknesses or flaws, if anything it makes them a stronger character. There’s a reason why characters like Joey on Dawson’s Creek, Chloe on Smallville, etc… were popular. They were presented as underdogs, and underdogs always connect with a lot of female viewers. On a side note, I do think we can still give the talented writers a chance to find the shows’ voice. I personally don’t think VDs completely found it till this weeks’ brilliant episode. IMO, the best of the entire series.

• Tarc says:

@AT – it’s your interpretation that my comment was ‘insulting’. I’ll skip most of what you wrote, and note that by saying ‘Americans’ I am obviously generalizing. And it’s a little hsocking that you don’t know that there are statistics regarding all of these issues generated by advertizing companies (and are used to extract the maximum $$$ from viewers for their advertizing dollars. This has been a science since the 1950s; feel free to look this your yourself (there are multiple professional journals). Secondly. you readily mix examples from film, books, and television, all which have their own rules (and exceptions), so can’t be jumbled like that in a coherent argument.

• AT says:

Oh and I just want to add if shy characters never worked on TV shows, then why were the characters of Rory from Gilmore Girls and Willow from Buffy so popular? Hmmm.

• Tarc says:

Neither Rory or Willow were the star of the show , and in both cases, neither were shy with the other characters in the actual show. They also quickly changed. (I’d also contest either ebing termed ‘shy’ – they were quiet and bookish initialy – not socially reticent). But again, both were part of an ensemble, not the lead (at least for the first season).

8. Cara says:

Why would they kill of the only other male in the circle? I think it’s so dumb now, 4 girls and Adam. They should have killed Melissa. Nick was way better than her.

• Tarc says:

Yup… so they bring in Nick’s Brother Jake – and hire a better, better known actor. Problem solved.

• Danny says:

This show better improve fast because its cheesy as heck compared to VD. “what are those?” “They are demons in the form of snakes!” STUPID lol this show needs a budget.

9. AT says:

It sounds like these answers were rehearsed. Honestly, I just heard a bunch of BS. To be frank, the first three books feel like a beginning rather than the end all. They could have easily made the first season based on the first three books and then veer off at that point. If you’re going to make changes from the books, make them better. So far, the show has only been mediocre. It has potential, and if all else fails return to the source material. There’s a reason why it’s still loved by so many people.

10. mike says:

Big mistake, the actor and the character were the best of this show. Louis Hunter could have been the shows breakout star.

11. Kathryn says:

What bugs me is the fake spoilers they put out about Nick and Cassie having a bone and being a threat to Cassie/Adam.

I’m sorry, but Nick and Faye were the only interesting characters of the circle. The rest are pretty bland and boring. Dumb move. I’m not watching anymore.

• Russ says:

I never heard any fake spoiler about Nick and Cassie. Plus IT IS THE 5TH EPISODE PEOPLE GIVE THE SERIES TIME TO FLESH OUT THE OTHER CHARACTERS (mainly Diana and Melissa) SO THAT THEY BECOME MORE INTERESTING!

12. Dewsterling says:

The death was unintentionally funny considering TVD aired an episode featuring a drowning not 50 minutes earlier. Does no one know CPR in Chance Harbor or are we to believe the parents didn’t know that drowning may result in death? Plus, Kevin Williamson tends to make death an impermanent condition. Amy Bradley, Andie Starr, Mayor Lockwood, and a bevy of nameless, faceless human blood bags and vamps are the only characters who have actually stayed dead on TVD – and it’s early days yet still. Expect to see Nick again when the writers want some kind of twist in the future.

• r0ckmypants says:

I have to assume that you just didn’t pay attention AT ALL to what happened in this episode. Nick was KILLED. He didn’t accidentally drown, that was just the cover story. Charles killed him to kill the demon; did you not notice him holding Nick under water? Both he and Dawn knew full well that Nick had to die in order for the demon to die.

13. Michael says:

So they’re NOT going to use the crystal to bring him back? Oh, okay.

14. Sean says:

I actually like the show and maybe because I’m not familiar with the books, I don’t mind Nick being killed. What does confuse me is the timeline. Are all the kids supposed to be product of teenage parents and one died? They are all 16-17 and there is this mysterious fire that happened 16 years ago, killing their parents…which would make their parents 16-18 at the time? Maybe I’m just misunderstanding, but in the episode last week, the yearbook clearly said 1995.

15. Meredith says:

Apparently I’m in the minority here, but am I the only one that thinks the actress who plays Faye is terrible? That said none of the acting on here is stellar (except for the adults).
    I really want to like this show because Vampire Diaries is SO good, but I have yet to be impressed. The writing is no where near as amazing as VD and like I said neither is the acting. I could really care less about Nick. I didn’t have any emotional connection to him at all….actually I don’t really care about any of the characters. They must bring on more males, preferably gorgeous ones! This show desperately needs to borrow some of the amazing VD writers

Biggest pet peeve- Adam has WAY too much eye make up on. Its all I notice when he is on the screen.

• Me says:

The Vampire Diaries was HORRIBLE in the beginning. This show is picking up just like Vampire Diaries did.

• r0ckmypants says:

Agreed, Phoebe Tonkin (Faye) is by far the worst actress on the show.

• Cee says:

YES. Phoebe Tonkin has been fine in other (Aussie) TV shows she’s been on, but id BAD as a bad girl, I hate to say, but it is true. She’s the worst.

I said in an earlier SC thread, but there ae, to me, 3 roles that were miscast: Faye (PT can’t pull it off), Cassie (Love Britt Robertson, but she’s not right for the character), and Adam. He’s so boring.

• Russ says:

Yes! Adam has way to much guy-liner! But I like Faye and remember how kinda bad/weird vampire diaries was at the beginning. Elena always writing in diary. The fog that mysteriously showed up in the grave yard. That crow that followed damon or whatever.
      Vampire Diaries didn’t start getting “SO good” until Vicky was turned and staked.

• Adam says:

Adam looks like a girl too. They might as well be a lesbian show.

16. Kara says:

I feel like the charcter played by Thomas Dekker tries to act like Chck Bass on GG and Stefan on VD and it is just not working for me – He was fantastic on Sarah Connor Chronicles so I have hope it will get better.

17. Me says:

They should have killed off Adam or Cassie. Worse characters on this show!

18. kkb says:

okay im sorry bout hw stupid was nicks death, he was my fav 4 definite, he was mysterious nd played da bad boy but was gud on da inside, perfect character in ma opinion, it brings an energy and egdeness to the show which was much needed, every week i have waited to watch to see the develpment between nick and cassie, the chemistry btwn the two charcters seemed great considering they probably only got 2 secs of screentime 2getha dat we cud see bt it made you tink bout the books and the great storyline of cassie/nick/adam love triangle which was great nd would of made great viewing for us, u could already see it due to the comparison btwn adam and nick and cassies interaction with bth, i dnt y dy kind of teased us wit dis idea if they wil gna kill off nick, so i dnt want 2 watch da show nemore becuz of this but if nick cums bk by sum kind of miracle i will defo b bk 2 watchin nd i tink dat goes 4 alot fans…
    i tink dat went wrng wit not bringin mre characters in da beginning becuz it wud of made the show more interesting becuz the otha charcters except for the parents nd faye are on da sme context of each otha bland nd 2 gud not bein mre egdy nd having different shades lyk da charcters of tvd even tho in ma opinion der completely copying tvd bt in tvd each charcter has different shades of demselves nd r interestin 4 diff reasons,wen i heard bout the show i was so excited becuz i thout i love supernatural shows especially bout witches, so was excited 4 da show nd wat it was gna bring especially becuz of da books nd twists in dem nd i lykd the look of the characters bt dy completely ruined the show 4 me now. im not into this new character.if he is so replaced nick i dnt c it espically 4 chemistry wit cassie i tink louis hunter was perfect in his role bt dats it,i hate wen dy kill of characters especially wen da story hasnt even developed yet nd i hav so many examples of dis in cw, dy needed fans but i tink dy hav jus driven fans away i kno becuz its nt jus me its ppl i kno watch da show 2 nd 4rm da comments i’ve seen….
    oh well wat dne is dne,dy killed the show 4 me nw aswell,sorry jus had to vent out ma feelings nd 4 da spelling mistakes cuz i used to writin in slang!!!!

19. Socaljim says:

I was wondering about the crystal too. Cassie’s grandmother has one why didn’t she save him. It takes 3 minutes for the brain to die, they could have saved him. Let’s forget about the crystal call 911 and start rescue breathing. Hey, is anyone else getting a Heroes Déjà vu with the secret circle? Britt Robertson looks and acts a lot like Hayden Panettiere and Ashley Crow that played Claire’s Mom on heroes is playing Cassie’s grandmother on TSC. Also, Thomas Dekker that plays Adam also played Claire’s best friend Zack on Heroes.

20. Meredith says:

I hope so. I don’t remember VD being horrible, too distracted by it’s greatness right now i guess! I’m going to keep watching and hope they get some good story lines going, and maybe some acting lessons.

• Lightning says:

VD wasn’t to great at the beginning, they had that cheesy fog that would come out of no where when a vampire showed up. The greatness came when Vicky was turned and now I’m so loving it.

21. Jackie says:

I’m sorry, but all of his answers sound rehearsed to me. Like someone said above, this is like doing Twilight without Jacob. What a bad, bad move. The character clearly had a fanbase and if you take a look at the comments around the net, 9 out of 10 people are mad pissed with what happened. There’s a lot of backslash going on. I would get Jane to use her crystal ASAP, just like Dawn did with Sally.

• Tarc says:

Ninety-five percent (probably more) of Secret Circe viewers have never read the books and couldn’t care less about them killing off the pretty abs. They’re replaceable – next week in fact, with Nick’s brother Jake. In TVland, Nick didn’t have a ‘fanbase’ worth mentioning, and the so called ‘backlash’ is a tempest in a teapot. Next week, we’ll get Nick’s brother in play – with a better actor and a better character – and the twittering bookfans will drop it like yesterday’s news (’cause it already is).

22. Captain says:

I feel like everyone complains about Book-to-TV adaptations, until the show hits it’s stride. Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, even The Vampire Diaries, all of the buzz from fans was negative (and mostly about straying from the books) until the shows took off. I’m giving the Secret Circle time.

23. Ely says:

This is crazy,how do they expect us to buy this bs? He’s one of the main book characters, this makes no sense at all. It killed the show for me, I know this sounds extreme but killing one of the favorite characters was a sloppy decision. It felt weird, flat and out of the blue, and this executive producer seems to be hding something, like there was another reason and they came up with this “we knew from the beginning” speech…

24. Dewsterling says:

Nope, you got it in one: the parents all had their kids, the current circle, at ages 16-18…and were married, no less. Further muddying the logistical waters is that both Natasha Henstridge and Gale Harold are in their late 30’s and early 40’s, respectively.

I hardly remember the book series considering I was in junior/high school when TVD and Secret Circle were originally released, but it seems not only strange that the parents are supposedly so young, but that a circle is 6 yet 9 were killed in the mysterious accident.

25. Justin says:

I knew they’d kill someone, but I really didn’t think it would be him just because there’s only two guys the way it is, now there’s just one. I’m so torn on whether or not I should give up on this show. I love the story and I love the look and feel. It’s so atmospheric, but the execution, acting and writing sometimes is just poor. I’m holding out hope that it’ll get as good as V Diaries eventually, but in just four episodes, I don’t see it happening. And what is Andrew Miller thinking by LIMITING the circle and characters? I mean, the main problem with the show for me is that there just isn’t enough people in the circle. I always thought the show would have fared better had it been a larger ensemble, like at least 10 for the circle. That would have been awesome. The more in that circle, the better.

26. Scott says:

I practically gave up on it last weeks episode, it just didn’t seem to capture my interest anymore.

• tripoli says:

Me too. It’s increasingly terrible with each new episode. Bad, predictable writing, and poor acting from pretty much the whole cast. I initially watched because I love Gale Harold, but he’s not enough to keep me watching this drivel.

27. Shannon says:

I think that was not cool, why not killing a background character? Instead of making me excited and hooked to the show, this mad me sad and mad at it, I don’t even feel like watching it anymore.

28. boz says:

I was so angry that they killed off Nick. Honestly why spend all this tome building up his relationship with Melissa. I mean no one has ever heard of CPR I guess. Thanks CW for making the last episode i ever watch so horribly depressing

29. Emm says:

Horrible move they should of killed faye her voice annoys me and francly she dint really have an important place in the show she was just … there. I know most people would dissagree but i dint find her all that exciting. The secret circle probably just lost half their fans.

30. Emm says:

And i hope they bring back nick with that crystal gramma has cuz on imdb hes scheduled to appear in at least six episodes (they all are btw)

31. Andrew says:

I really enjoyed the pilot episode, and I’ve been watching since then, but I’m about ready to give up on this show.

The pilot gave it so much promise, but to me — as someone who has never heard of or read any of the books, it has felt like they’ve been going in a HUGE circle ever since (no pun intended).

Cassie mopes about mom, flirts with Adam, and causes Diana to be jealous. Nick and Melissa have sex. Faye continues her BAD imitation of Fairuza Balk from The Craft. Meanwhile, they fumble around with barely-there powers and whine about having no magic books.

That’s it. That’s all they’ve shown, ad nauseam.

On top of all of that, they’ve wasted so much time having the characters deciding whether or not to bind the circle. And, now that that’s been done, they kill off a character and break (at least according to the previews) the circle. Then why even have them bound the circle to begin with?

Believe it or not, the only bright spot this show has is Natasha Henstridge, who plays Dawn.

I’ll give it one more episode, and if it doesn’t actually go somewhere, I won’t be watching.

32. Jem says:

I haven’t read the books yet, though I might at some point (I love a fun chick flick series). Generally I am a fan of TV/movie adaptations of books and I appreciate producers/directors deviating from canon plot lines. The term is “based on” not “exact representation”. That said, as a viewer unfamiliar with the books I really enjoy this show so far. I was extremely surprised when they killed Nick just because I didn’t think they would really kill off a main character for a teen drama (though after reading some of these comments I know realize that this seems to be a CW staple).

I enjoyed Nick’s character but I do think he had pretty much come as far as he could without some other sort of drama being brought up for him. Killing Melissa would have just sent Nick back to being an aloof jerk who doesn’t get attached because he doesn’t want to get hurt; zero character development there. Melissa on the other hand has more potential for development through Nick’s death. She was just starting to come into her own through him and now she’s lost that, just as producer Miller says. If they were set on killing off a character then I do think Nick was the best choice in terms of plot/character development. Though the death still bummed me out quite a bit.

I feel like the triangle going on between Adam, Diana and Cassie is certainly cliché and played out, but I still want to see where it goes; the three year long lovers, or the ‘fated’ destiny pair. Cute.

Faye so far seems pretty pointless. The actress is certainly good at playing the sarcastic, attractive, b*tch, prom queen type but Faye definitely needs some character development fast.

One thing that I feel some comments are right about is that the cast is now pretty unbalanced with only four girls and one guy. I’m interested to see who the show will bring in to restore the balance.

33. What... says:

So….

I realize killing characters off TV shows, books, movies…whatever, really, always happens. Fine. The thing that bothers me is the fact they decided to do it so early..

I actually only started watching the show on the 4th episode…and the one character I liked just died the next. It just doesn’t feel write. Maybe the writers have something planned…but…I just feel like it’s way too early.

Oh well.

34. Dewsterling says:

Marti Noxon is a genius show-runner and consultant – she writes phenomenal sci-fi that appeals across all genres. The CW trends toward young people and, sorry, both TVD and TSC are female-centric fiction that feature female protagonists; thus it would behoove the producers to hire more female writers.

• lacy says:

Ohhh totally agree. Isn’t Rebecca Rand-Kirshner free too now that she left 90210? I mean she’d be great for TSC, after all she turned a show that was complete drivel (90210) into something sustainable.

35. Eliotsmum says:

Why didn’t they save Nick with the crystal the grandmother had? They used one to save the girl who fell of the dock? Did the writers screw up here?

36. Cee says:

So all these females are left and all we have is one boring dude who has zero chemistry with the lead actress (staring intently does not = chemistry). They should have ditched Melissa, I found her pointless.

Also… I’m still trying to figure out the *point* of them being witches. Like… why do we care? They use their powers to unlock lockers and make water droplets float. Is there a bigger picture? All the adults want the power back, but for what? They don’t use it for good. So far they use it to kill people, trash some cars, choke people’s dads. Yeah, okay.

This show is on its last legs for me. Actually… I think I’m done. Why bother?

37. Evan says:

Here’s what I find confusing:

They’re making a big deal over Charles having guilt over killing Nick and “I’ve killed a child.”

Yet NO GUILT over killing Cassie’s mother? That he can justify?

Yeah I don’t think so.

• Tarc says:

It makes perfect sense to me; Charles as the father of a girl the same age, versus the death of an adult that clearly has done her own share of questionaable things. Think about it.

• Kalie says:

That bugged me, too. Cassie’s mother used to be his friend and he killed her in a horrible way, taking a mother away from her teenage daughter. He showed no remorse over that but felt guilty for drowning a teenage boy he hardly knew who was possessed by a demon? This show has gotten more and more ridiculous with every episode and I think I’m ready to give it up. I also don’t appreciate these teenage characters having sex every week on the show. It was pretty racy when that kid used magic to unbutton her shirt and then unhooked her bra (How many times do we have to see that girl in her push-up?), then Adam & Diana used whipped cream in this last episode. Remember when it used to be a big deal for teenage characters to lose their virginity on TV shows?

38. Lindsay says:

I was not happy with Nick’s death. After limiting the circle to six instead of the twelve in the book, it seems stupid to immediately kill off one of the circle.

I’ll continue to give the show a chance, but I don’t have hight hopes for it anymore.

39. Mikael says:

I totally agree with most of you. Killing of Nick was a big mistake. I don’t see this show going to be anymore interesting so I think I’m signing off as well. I wanted Nick to stir it up for Cassie and Adam (like Pacey did with Joey and Dawson, like Damon are doing with Elena and Stefan). Sorry, bad move writers and producers. If you are not going to pay tribute to the book and imply that the book has poor storylines, that’s disrespectful!

40. s says:

WTF? WHY??? there are too many chicks so why one of the guys? I haven’t even watched the episode yet and may just skip it now. What a dumb move……..wow

41. ecidnac says:

My concern is over the plot hole left by Nick’s death. The crazy guy (Zachary?) wanted to destroy the circle and said, “I only need to kill one.” Well, now the very same people who kept him from killing any of their children… KILLED ONE OF THE CHILDREN! What?! So the circle is broken? The kids should get their individual power back now? Or does the circle’s power go into the ether?

Also, Cassie’s grandmother could’ve easily resurrected Nick with her power and her crystal. The ONLY reason(s) I can think of as to why not would be to show the kids the []

42. ecidnac says:

Louis Hunter’s acting was very wooden, and IMO the “sweetness and vulnerability” they made him show was sudden, contrived, and out-of-place (almost as if he were possessed.) Granted, they only had 4 episodes to develop Nick, but the progression was still very poorly done.

My issue is with the major plot hole left by Nick’s death. The “psycho attacker” Zachary said, “I only have to kill one [of the children].” So… now that one of the children is dead, is the circle broken? Do the kids get their individual power(s) back? Does the circle’s power go into the ether, and “you lose. too bad, so sad?” The writers posed an end to the show in one episode (Zachary killing one of the kids) then completely ignored it in the next (when one of the kids dies, yet there’s an episode scheduled to air next week.)

Cassie’s grandmother could easily have resurrected Nick with her power and her crystal. The ONLY reasons I can think of to explain why she didn’t are:
    1. to teach the kids that they can’t just mess around with that crazy magic stuff ’cause there will be consequences, and
    2. to teach them that, while they may be witches, they’re not invincible ones (though I’m pretty sure the circle of orphans kind of knew that one already on account of their dead parent witches.)

I’m on the fence about this show. Phoebe Tonkin’s Faye is truly awful, trying so stinkin’ hard to be the badass bad girl who wants to do bad things but is secretly sweet and cares about you (stop it. seriously.) and Britt Robertson seems to have mastered only that lip-quivering mouth agape stammering and gasping thing. I spend a lot of the episode wishing I could just close her mouth. Thomas Dekker has also been doing a lot of goo-goo eyed staring but not much character development. I almost want to keep watching the show because it’s awesomely bad, though I keep questioning how much awesome there is mixed in with the bad.

BTW I haven’t read the books, nor have I watched The Vampire Diaries.

43. O says:

I’m really, really disappointed!!

44. Mystified says:

I read the books and thought that this was LJ’s best series, so it’s disappointing that they’ve changed it soooo much. First, there were twelve (six boys and six girls) because in order to continue with the circle it was logical that these kids would pair off and reproduce cause in the books their linked by a silver thread thingy. Next, Cassie meets Adam while vacationing on the beach before she moves back to her grandmas, and upon meeting they kiss. Much later she finds out that Adam is dating Diana who is not only blonde but is the only one who is family related as she and Faye are cousins. The parents aren’t that prominent, and the story revolves around this circles parents fighting an evil warlock who wanted to have all of their powers and as it turns out, in order to protect their children (this circle) they confront the warlock and the ones that died were the brave ones, while the parents that survived were too scared to fight or decided to stay with the kids. All the parents were relatively young seeing as fate paired them up, so late teens early twenties, and all the kids range in age from 15-18. Diana is nice in the books, Faye blackmails Cassie who’s really shy and doesn’t want to hurt Diana so she and Adam keep their first encounter a secret for the majority of the trilogy. Melissa is not even in the books, and Nick is one of the main characters, so killing him off is just stupid. The principal was a man and he plays an important role in the overall storyline and Diana’s dad wasn’t such a douche bag. Although I was really excited for this series now I’m just blah because of all the changes, there are too many. VD veered only slightly from the books and caught a stride towards the end of the first season, SC is just too different from the books and the changes aren’t that great. 4 girls and 1 guy???? How are you going to dig yourself out of that hole! Another thing that I liked from the books is that it took Cassie a while to learn she was a witch and some of the others would prank her and just be mean, the way she finds out is better in the books too. I’ll give it two more eps before I let it RIP. It’s a shame though, it could’ve been really great instead of this hot mess.

• Tarc says:

Let’s be honest: the book series is odd, poorly written (though it makes Twilight look like Shakespeare), juvenile, and is pretty much unfilmable as a TV series without a lot of adaptation. The Vampire Diaries is quite similar, though slighly more easily adapted (and even them Elena, Damon, and Stefan aren’t even remotely the same characters from the original book). You just can’t expect the TV show to be the book – it NEVER is. And often with these young adult targeted novels, the Tv version ends up better for the translation. Give the show half a season – the CW was confident enough to grant a full season order based on current ratings and previews of the upcoming episodes.

• AT says:

The books are creative, not odd. And no it is not unfilmable. Not by a long shot. Personally (though I certainly liked the pilot and respected their choices) I would have set up the show to be more mysterious and perhaps a little more Veronica Mars like. I would have killed the character Kori at the end of the series to be a season long mystery arc. Who killed the young witch? Witches vs Outsiders. And actually, Damon and Stefan are pretty similar to their book counterparts. Also, of course the TV show can’t be the book. They’re different mediums. But I believe people can be true to the spirit of the books. True Blood season 1 and 2 are fabulous examples. At this point, the show has not been better in the translation. At all. But the series does have a lot of potential. It’s too bad they lost out on the New England atmosphere. I know that was for budget reasons. But that could have really made the show. The setting could have been a great character, if that makes sense. At this point, I do think the show is safe. Hopefully it will stay that way. I’m really rooting for it.

• AT says:

I meant kill Kori at the end of the pilot, not series.

• Tarc says:

I’m good with the choice of ‘odd’. I’m rooting for the show as well, but it’s simply unrealistic that a more literal transfer of the show would never fly on network or basic cable. The first book is slow, especially in the beginning, the protagonist is nearly silent, mousy, shy and virtually all of the first section of the book is inner monologue. That’d be the kiss of death for a greenlight. *shrugs* You COULD film it, but no one would buy it. The CW was obviously looking for a more hip, slick, dark modern take, which is what they got.

45. Sarah says:

Such a big mistake killing off the best character!!!! I am definitely gonna stop watching

46. C.C. says:

I am really enjoying the SC. Except for the fact that Nick’s death leaves only one guy, I didn’t think it was all that big of a deal, I mean they started with only two guys so it was always unbalanced. As far as comparisons to the book, I can’t say because I haven’t read SC series. I have read TVD, at least the older books. The tv series is different from the books. (True Blood is also very different from the books.) For instance Elena is blonde and has either a younger girl cousin or a sister living with her, not a slightly younger brother. She also dies in one of the books, I believe in some sort of car accident that ends up in water. She comes back as a vampire. Not to mention she sucks Stefan’s blood as a human. Bonnie is white and likes Matt and they (Bonnie/Elena) used to be good friends with Caroline, but it’s more of a love/hate relationship in the present. So, if the writers of SC change the book and it goes in interesting directions as TVD has, I don’t have a problem. BTW, I used to FF through a lot of TVD during the first season, so I’m giving SC a chance.

47. alexjones says:

you people need to calm down, people die in tv series sometimes, okay? it’s certianly not a reason to stop watching, i’ve never read the books but I prefer it if the tv series goes off in it’s own direction rather than just copying some books. let’s just wait and see where the series goes from here, maybe we just have to give it some time for the story to heat up, the vampire diaries started off rather slow but it got better as it went along, just have some patience people.

48. Casey says:

This is what I call jumping the shark. Bring the character back with the effing crystal, you brought Sally back, so what’s the big deal? People love him, he’s a MAIN CHARACTER! Check the comments and you’ll see that almost a hundred percent of the audience is mad with this poor decision!

49. Casey says:

“The writers posed an end to the show in one episode (Zachary killing one of the kids) then completely ignored it in the next (when one of the kids dies, yet there’s an episode scheduled to air next week.)

Also, the very same people who threatened to kill Zachary if he harmed one of their children… KILLED ONE OF THE CHILDREN! Was that like a “you’re not allowed to kill the kids, but we are” kind of thing? And Charles is guilty about taking the life of a child, but not the life of [at least one] adult (Cassie’s mom, almost Adam’s dad, and who knows who else) in order to get his powers back? So, he wants it soooo bad, but not quite THAT bad? Ugh. Make up your mind, man.”

I completely agree with this. Poor writing and contradictions.

I get that characters die, people die, but this is maddening!

50. ems says:

And to top it off, they’re bringing another non-book character as his replacement. This is absurd! Can’t you see that peopel will hate him? They didn’t want their original character to be replaced…