Exclusive

Exclusive: Damages Retains Ryan Phillippe

The verdict is in: Damages‘ fifth and final season will not be hurting for star power.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Ryan Phillippe has landed a major role on the upcoming season of the Glenn Close courtroom drama, now airing on DirecTV.

He will play a Julian Assange-type character who turns to Ellen (Rose Byrne) for help.

This marks the Crash actor’s first regular TV gig since his breakout role as gay teen Billy Douglas on One Life to Live back in the early ’90s. He was heavily courted by Starz last winter to play one of the key guest roles in Torchwood: Miracle Day, but he ultimately passed.

Phillippe follows in the footsteps of such illustrious Damages guest stars such as John Goodman, Ted Danson, William Hurt, Martin Short and Lily Tomlin.

The former FX series is expected to kick off its fifth and final season next summer.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Mandy says:

Oooo… I like this! I hope he plays a baddie. He was so creepy in The Lincoln Lawyer. I would like to see him do something like that again.

2. jasin says:

This is great. Glad they have started casting. Best show on tv.

3. Arman says:

The fourth season was awful. No thrills, no surprises! Not like Damages, at all. Patty-Ellen relationship was not as interesting as well. I thought the season 3 finale was perfect for a series ending, and I now seriously wish it was. I hope the fifth season will be good.

4. Regina Phelangie says:

Only lily tomlin was a guest star, the rest were all regulars.

5. Midori says:

I bought a combo pack of season 1 and 2 from Target for $17. The first season was amazing. The second season was kind of boring but the Patty-Ellen relationship made it watchable and fun. I hope the next few seasons can live up to the first.

• Marylou says:

I agree with you! What a let down. I also cannot believe that they will end with the 5th season. The relationship between Patti & Ellen was so great, sorry to see it change.

6. Lynne says:

Ahh sounds like the main case is a Wikileaks type suit. Sounds like an interesting season. Can’t wait.

10 more episodes until the end. :(

7. MB says:

Really nice! Season four was quite good and I wonder how this case will eventually bring Patty into the plot. At the end of the fourth season it was pretty clear that Ellen was so over Patty and her treachery but this once again seems like a case too big for Ellen.

8. MB says:

9. KPR says:

Easily the best show on TV. Season 1-4 were amazing. Looking forward to#5. Dont care about Phillipe

10. Jj says:

Season 4 was easy to predict and was my least fave of all. I hope 5 is more interesting.

11. Laurie Jensen says:

It’s only going to be on Directv? What the heck?! I have Dish. Was really looking forward to watching the new season…oh well…

12. J says:

Nice…Season 4 was amazing. Honestly, check it out if you dont have DirecTV..It is so worth it.

13. tori says:

I don’t watch the show but now that Ryan will be on,I’m definitely going to be tuning in. He has a great presence,a very sexy voice and he’s not bad to look at either. Great choice for a change:)!!!

14. Ellie says:

Best Tv show period! i don’t care what people say, Damages is the best fu.. show on tv, if you don’t like it go watch Glee or Mad Men(lamest tv shows). Stop complaining about Direct Tv, they save it remember?? you can download in the FREAKING INTERNET for god sake!! and if you don’t like why you’re still watching it? people loooveeeess to complaing, what a bunch of assholes!!

15. Talia says:

Great casting! Can’t wait to see who else they cast.

In addition to DirecTV, you can also watch Damages on Netflix or purchase the episodes on the Playstation 3 video store. I bought all the season 4 episodes as they aired.

16. Ben Kabak says:

I cant wait to see this stud muffin go toe to toe with Glenn Close. Oh la la

17. filmex says:

If this is the final season, if they could just do this one season without giving away the ending, and then doing flashbacks the whole season. Just one time, do a straight-forward narrative, please? All the endless time-jumping merely makes like they don’t believe the story will stand up to a straightforward telling.

P.S. Why would anyone have Dish when they could have DirecTV ? Do they also have a Betamax?

18. Laura Hall says:

I love love love, Damages! The TALENT omg Glenn Close, Ted Danson, John Goodman Martin Short and so many more! I love all of them and their characters. I loved seasons 1-4 I was sad when they left FX and went to Direct TV and that it is their 5th last season ):

19. Jeff Lang says:

Ryan is awful in this series. He can not find his character and is clearly acting.