Ratings: Revenge Wins Hour as CSI Hits a Low, Ringer Redux Rings Up 1.2 Mil More Viewers

Revenge is looking sweeter and sweeter, as the freshman ABC drama this Wednesday topped the 10 o’clock demos for the first time since its debut.

Scoring a 2.7 rating with the coveted 18-49 crowd — and as CSI dipped 10 percent to a 2.6, the CBS procedural’s all-time low for a fall episode — Revenge was up 13 percent week-to-week.

In other headlines, The CW points out that the first of the weekly Wednesday encores of Ringer — which along with Hart of Dixie and Secret Circle just scored a full-season order — added 1.2 million viewers to the freshman drama’s haul.

All told, with The X Factor un-X-pectedly benched by baseball, it was a good night for Fox’s rivals. Here’s how it shakes out, hour-by-hour.

8 pm | Survivor led in both total audience and in the demo, holding steady with 10.55 million viewers and a 3.2 rating. Trailing the MLB ALCS Game 4 (which averaged 9.44 mil and a 3.0 for the night), ABC’s sitcombo of The Middle (8.83 mil/2.8) and Suburgatory (8.8 mil/3.0) matched their week-ago numbers. NBC, meanwhile, had bad news/good news, as Up All Night (5.3 mil/2.0) dropped 13 percent in the demo and a Whitney repeat (4 mil/1.3) performed 30 percent better than Free Agents‘ final outing.

9 pm | Modern Family was Wednesday’s most-watched and highest-rated program, holding steady with 13.42 million viewers and a 5.7 rating. Its lead-out, Happy Endings (7.6 mil/3.3) surged double digits in both measures. With 12.7 mil and a 3.7, Criminal Minds dipped a hair week-to-week. Both Harry’s Law (7.64 mil/1.2) and Top Model (1.9 mil/0.8) were flat.

10 pm | As mentioned above, CSI (10.8 mil/2.6) was down 10 percent, yet led the hour in total viewers, while Revenge (8 mil/2.7) topped the demos. T.R. Knight’s Law & Order: SVU visit drew 7.2 mil/2.1, losing a few eyeballs but steady in the demo.

What were you watching this Wednesday?

1. Snapy says:

Really digging Revenge. Come on, full season pickup! And good to hear Ringer is picking up viewers on Wednesdays.

• laur says:

agree! this show is so intense and suspensful. i don’t know how other shows got picked up for a full season, and some of them are ok. this one is awesomeeeeeee and it still hasnt been. full season people!

• Christina says:

I’m really liking revenge as well, hope it continues to do so.

• Mika says:

I can honestly say that it has turned out to be my favorite new show of the season. Not sure of its longevity, but I really enjoy the cast, the story, and the twists and turns so far. It is the only new show to continue to peak my interest. Terra Nova fell flat for me. Pan Am is interesting but lost some of its appeal with each successive episode. I hope it gets at least a full season pickup.

• MJ says:

I completely agree. Revenge is my favorite new show!! Come on ABC and pick it up for a full season!!!

• Carrie says:

I agree. I wasn’t expecting much from “Revenge”, but I’m glad I watched the pilot because I’m really enjoying the show. I’m also enjoying “Ringer” quite a bit.

• Kyle says:

I’m not sure but Revenge will become one of most actually successful drama currently, because the story is great and wide, means, if they know use the best possible, we’re watching the born of a new CSI or Law & Order formerly.

2. Amanda says:

What were the Law & Order SVU ratings like?

3. Mike says:

Awesome for Ringer. Pulling 1.2 on a next-night repeat for The CW is huge. Many of their ‘hit’ series just barely top that on most nights – and it essentially doubles Ringer’s audience. The show keeps getting better, too, so I’m excited.

• Snapy says:

Question is, are they new viewers or simply people who watched the night before and wanted to watch again?

• tvfan says:

I love Ringer and Revenge. They are different, but both have me guessing about what happens next and I know that people could die!
      I love the uncertainty.

4. JB says:

Revenge is wickedly wonderful. Come on with the full season pickup or we’ll have to get Emily Thorne after you. ;)

• Snapy says:

I like that society finally seems to be ready for guilty-pleasure primetime soaps like Dynasty and Dallas again after the revamped Melrose Place (unfortunately) tanked.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I second this.

• MAS says:

I curious as to why you compare this to Dynasty/Dallas/Melrose Place. I didn’t like any of those, but Revenge is currentl my favorite new show, and I don’t feel guilty about it at all. :)

• MAS says:

wow – sorry about those typose and that run on sentence. :(

• bob says:

revenge is characteristically soapy, much like the aforementioned dynasty, dallas, and melrose place. it’s a good, fun show, but it isn’t exactly challenging anyone’s brains, which is where i’m guessing the “guilty pleasure” part comes in.

5. Lisa says:

Revenge is realy a good show. Started sneaking glimpses as my kids were watching and then found my self hooked to the screen. You never know what is going to happen next. Love it.

6. Alicia says:

CM was GREAT last night! So glad they didn’t reveal the unsub at the beginning; I’d rather watch the team profiling than the unsub evading, and the case was really inventive.
    That said, total viewers were down a bit but the demo pretty much held steady, which is good.
    And for the best news of all… the Hotch & Prentiss scenes! It’s like the writers suddenly remembered their connection, and the end convo on the plane was sooo perfect <3
    THAT is why H/P are meant to be–their smiles at each other say it all :D

7. Katrina says:

Love love love Revenge! My husband started watching it with me slowly and watched the whole show last night! yay.

8. Harry says:

Yay for Revenge!!! Best show of the new season!

9. ZsaZsa says:

Love Revenge, but just how old is that dog?

• Rebecca says:

LOL, I was wondering that too. If Emily’s father was taken away when she was 10, I think, and she met Jack and Sam before then… how old is Emily now? Sam would be roughly her age minus 10 years. A larger breed of dog like Sam can be expected to live around 12-15 years in general, though an older age is not unheard of.

• Christine says:

This also kind of bugs me. Last week we saw a TV clip from the trial that said 1995. That dog is, minimum, 16 years old which is crazy old for a lab. My lab died at 12 1/2 years and she was very arthritic and slow by then.

10. Andrew says:

Rooting for Revenge! Love the show, hope to see a full season order soon!!! C’mon guys, show some Revenge love!

11. Jaded says:

I LOVE Revenge! Such a great show–it’s like watching a movie every week. The hour just flies by!

12. s. says:

Hands down Wednesday is the best night for TV this fall! You have American Horror Story, PSYCH, Luther, and Revenge! Thank God for shows encores and VOD Lol.

13. sd says:

Really enjoying Revenge. Love all the twists.Best of the newbies.

14. Em says:

Yeah for Revenge! I hope it gets picked up soon.

15. E. says:

So happy for Happy Endings–it’s a hilarious show! Does it already have a full-season pickup?

• melanie says:

no full season pickup yet for HE, but with a bump like this one, i think it’s sure thing…as long it stays around 3.0 in the demo 18-49 i am petty sure there is a full pickup

16. Ren Berg says:

I was watching Psych on USA Network. Best show on tv!

• ESLKid75 says:

Last night’s episode was especially good too.
      I was a bit afraid of USA pitting Psych (a summer series that plays well on USA, a summer network) against big series on big networks, but they seem to have ramped up the writing as well, so I thought it worked really well last night.

17. Katie says:

Yay for Ringer!!!!!!!! Love this show. I hope if its regular time slot is an issue up against New Girl that CW will think about moving it somewhere else. If you haven’t watched this series yet you should. It’s really hit its stride and gets better every week.

18. Joline says:

Really wish network TV would rerun marathons of shows like the cable nets do, or give us at the very least an encore of their top shows at some point during the week. There are so many “down” hours for the nets over the weekend and overnight, surely these reruns would be higher rated than most of the trash on during those hours. I haven’t watched Revenge yet, but based on the user reviews I would be open to trying it. Would be great if they did a marathon so new viewers could come into it late. And I know eps are available online but many people still prefer to view on tv, particularly when you want to watch with others…

• ESLKid75 says:

I’m pretty Revenge is available for free on Comcast VOD (or whatever your TV provider is). Usually Comcast carries the last 5 episodes of a series for you to watch on demand. I think we’re only 3 or 4 episodes into Revenge, so the whole season should still be there… And you can watch it on your TV (I agree with you, not much for watching TV on my computer).

19. Victor Hugo says:

No, it doesnt! Sadly, they just have a 13 episodes order!! :(

20. Emgee says:

“Revenge” is awesome. It’s also made better by the fact that I recently read “The Count of Monte Cristo.”

• kozmikg@yahoo.com says:

How funny!! I keep seeing the commercials and had thought of The Count of Monte Cristo several times. It’s one of my favorites from High School that I just re-read about 2 years ago. After your comment, I went and found out that the story is a loosely-based female version. I am seriously considering watching now.

21. rod says:

really excited Happy Endings is doing fine in the demos, i want this show to go on for ever !! also, really happy about my new guilty pleasure Revenge

22. sara says:

Revenge is the best new show this season! It has been delicious from the first episode. It would be a sin for it not to receive a full pick up!

23. Lupe says:

Great news for “Revenge”! By far, my favorite new show of the season. Can’t wait for next week!

24. Becca says:

What about American Horror Story?? Loving it!

25. Brandon says:

YES! Happy Ending im my favorite show! I hope it continues to rise. Its ratings still kinda scary me.

26. Tee says:

I’m really enjoying Revenge so far, glad to see it’s doing well!

27. fernando says:

Revenge is my show I just love it, so happy to hear the ratings went up woohoo!

28. fernando says:

also shout outs to Happy Endings for going up in ratings as well and ringer two good shows as wells.

29. BrianR says:

Revenge is delicious. I can’s wait to see who she gets next. Maybe the security guy is framed for the doctors kidnapping.

30. sapphire says:

How did Psych do against the big players?

31. jenna says:

I thought TR was great last night on SVU!
    I’ll catch up with Revenge on line. I’m lovin’ it as well.

32. Guy says:

Revenge is the best new drama of the season so far. Really digging it and glad it got a full season pickup. Also glad CSI is slipping further and further. Its time to put the whole 3 to bed already. I am also hoping that Once Upon a Time does very well too when it premieres soon. The question i have though is Sunday 8pm the right slot for the show?

33. susan williams says:

Don’t know where Revenge can go from here, but it’s great enter-

34. MEKISHA HALE says:

Wednesday’s night have become very interesting for television. Still watching the new show and surprise of the fall line-up “Revenge” on “ABC” network. It’s becoming more and more as I watch a show that it gets better and better every time. I think that “ABC” has a hit on there hands here.

35. Spunky says:

You know what guys not to be a party pooper but there has to be a number one tv show and that is REVENGE.