Private Practice: What Did You Think of Cooper's Big Surprise?

[Warning: The following contains an episode-ending spoiler from this Thursday's Private Practice.]

This Thursday on ABC’s Private Practice, at least two relationships rode quite the roller coaster, as a recuperated Pete happily reconnected with Violet on a physical level, only for each of them to later realize they still have demons to fight (namely her concern that he thinks her a bad mom, and his fear that he’ll die young before raising Lucas).

Elsewhere, Cooper spent nearly the entire hour trying to smooth over Charlotte’s trust issues. No sooner had they arrived at a sweet, sexy truce, than in the very final scene he got a visit from a pretty woman at the newly rechristened Seaside Health and Wellness.

It was not, however, the first time Coop had met this Erica (played by My So-Called Life‘s A.J. Langer), though it took a moment for him to place her.

“Nine years, I was tending bar…. You stayed ’til last call,” she reminded him. “We had sex in my SUV in the parking lot….

“I have a son. He’s 8. His name is Mason,” she continued, gesturing to a brunette lad over in the waiting area. “And he’s… he’s, well, yours.”

And Cooper’s reaction kinda said it all. Mouth. Agape.

What did you think of this reveal? What range of emotions do you expect Charlotte do go through once she is lopped in? And feel free to weigh in on this week’s other storylines (e.g. Sam’s strides to be there for Addison, Amelia’s usual whatever).

1. xav says:

Well, considering it was reported by this site a few weeks ago I wasn’t surprised at all. I am surprised that they’re still dragging Sam/Addison out though. If he’s going to be in a relationship with her and she’s going to have a baby, he’d be a father even without genetics. If that’s not what he wants, then why even be in the relationship in the meantime, wouldn’t it just make the inevitable break up harder?

• melanie says:

leave Sam and Addison alone… and i think it’s an interesting situation to explore… and no humans are not as logical as vulcans the breakup is not inevitable?

and by the way, this is adrama, a drama!!!

• Michaela says:

It’s a ridiculous story. And they have a copy of that story on Grey’s Anatomy right now with Owen and Cristina. And both couples are trying to distract themselves with sex. As if that’s the solution. It’s so immature and I hope things blow up between both couples. Addison is better off without Sam anyway. Look at how low her self-esteem is! She needs someone who makes her feel better about herself and who makes her understand that she doesn’t need a “good man” to be a good person. She’s always been a wonderful woman. And she was a force of nature with healthy self-esteem and who knew her worth on Grey’s Anatomy. What happened to that woman? It’s so sad to see her like that.

2. madhatter360 says:

Honestly, I think it shouldn’t be something for Charlotte to freak out about unless he does the standard TV thing of hiding it from her. Since he wants to have (a) kid(s) and she’s unsure it almost works out perfectly for him to have had a kid from a previous relationship. He gets to be a Dad and Charlotte doesn’t have to be a mom, but will spend enough time with the kid to decide if she wants to have kids. Frankly, when I heard about how Cougar Town is going to be doing this (it was somewhere on here) I thought it was great since Grayson wants a kid and Jules is done raising kids. *Watches as unnecessary drama in inserted.*

3. Meg says:

Considering how many women Cooper was randomly hooking up with before Charlotte, I’m not really surprised that he has a kid out in the world that he didn’t know about.

4. Mia says:

Eh. Kinda lame. Not surprising and not too interesting. This season has been kind of a snooze so far.

5. Ashely says:

I think it stinks. Thus kid will forever be a burden on their relationship and I expect that the eight year od kid will be more mature than Cooper. Cooper’s not mature enough to be a father. The kid is no more than a new toy for him to play with.

6. Amanda says:

Cooper’s an idiot. He thinks it’s his kid because it has brown hair?
    He called it a mini Cooper. It doesn’t look anything like him. It has slanty irish eyes (I’m part Irish so it’s not an insult to the kid) I’m just saying the kid doesn’t look like Cooper except brown hair. Brown is the most common color hair in the world. Get a paternity test before you jump to conclusions. He’s an idiot. How do the writers expect us to believe Cooper made it thru med school and residency to become a doctor. He doesn’t have what it takes to be a real doctor. Cooper is a loser. Poor Charlotte!

• Russ says:

1) Cooper is to much of a nice guy to be like “That kid look nothing like me except brown hair! Paternity test now… bitch”
      2) They are actors, so they probably did try to find someone as best as the could.
      3) While most resemble, not all kids look like their parents.
      4) Lucas does not look like Pete or Violet why are you targeting Mason?

• Melissa says:

In another spoiler they say Cooper doesn’t ask for a paternity test because he thinks the kid looks just like him. He calls him a mini Cooper. Are we supposed to pretend the kid looks like a mini Cooper when he doesn’t even look close. He also doesn’t look like an eight year old. I know they get older actors to play younger kids but they shouldn’t make them too much younger because who’s going to buy that this kid is only eight?

• Amber says:

I teach 4th graders, who are 9-10, and that kid was pretty much average size for that age group. Some are much bigger. I agree that the kid doesn’t really look like Cooper, but there isn’t really anything off about his size.

7. Maria Davis says:

Any normal man would be embarassed/ashamed if something like this happened to him. Cooper is jovial about it which is disturbing. It would be better if he accepted the responsibility but wasn’t so happy about it. Good Grief how many more spawn did he make that are running around out there? Will he still be smiling after the 50th woman shows up with another of his spawn. I feel the most sorry for Charlotte. She’s just getting over the trauma of her rape and now she has to deal with this. Do the writers hate her character? They’re going to drive Charlotte back to pills or suicide with all the stress and trauma they dump on her.

• Brooke says:

Why would any normal man be embarassed or ashamed? Cooper loves kids. He wants a kid. His wife is lukewarm on the idea. He finds out he has a kid. Sure, it’s a surprise and unexpected, but why wouldn’t he be happy?

8. Daniela says:

Erika creeped me out. The boy was creepy to, the way he sat there expressionless. Besides the freaks (Erika&Mason) I hate this storyline.

This is a story line stolen from a daytime soap. It’s like bad fanfiction. If someone wrote a fanficiton about a woman showing up after 9 years with a kid people would call it unrealistic and yet the paid professional writers have the nerve to serve this to us? Time to find a new show!

Goodbye Private Practice!

• Russ says:

Really? This is the storyline that you call unrealistic and quiet the show for..
      I am curious to know what was your thoughts are of Violet instructing a women to cut her open and steal her child.
      You know because that story is far more realistic than someone getting pregnant from a one night stand and not telling the person until much later.

• Lisa says:

I agree. One does not have to like it, but I think this storyline is a lot more realistic than most of the other stunts this show has pulled in the past to dump drama on its characters. AJ Langer knows how to act too. This could be something I could actually be interested in.

9. Aust says:

Horrible storyline. Shonda promised no drama for Coop/Char and now this. What else have they to go through? Alien abduction, secret clone.. Because through everything else they’ve already been through. Lame.

• Lisa says:

Shonda doesn’t know how to write couples without drama. Everyone watching her shows should know this by know. If she doesn’t write something dramatic for a couple the characters disappear into the background and have next to no screentime. I pick drama and more screentime for CharCoop over episodes without them or with very little CharCoop any time.

10. anon says:

where were courteney cox and christa miller??

11. Rodina says:

Ridiculous. I don’t like the direction the writers are going with this. It doesn’t help that I don’t like AJ Langer. What’ up with all the moles. She’s got a huge one on her face. I never noticed it in any of her photos. My guess is Erica has AIDS. People in the end stages of AIDs get Moles like that. It’s called Karposi’s sarcoma. She’s probably letting the kid know them before she dies. This may not be Cooper’s kid. They said Cooper didn’t believe in doing paternity test since he was adopted, He doesn’t care about being biologiaclly related and wants to help the kid out wheter he’s the real father or not.

12. Colin says:

Bad move by Private Practice. I’ve no interest in a love triangle with Erica. I can’t figure what else they would do with her. She doesn’t have a connection with any other characters. Not looking forward to the arrival of Erica or her son. Hopefully it’s short lived.

13. Allison says:

I hate it. It is unbelievably unfair to do to Charlotte and you know what? It makes me hate Cooper that he can act so happy about something that he knows will hurt his wife. Is he that self abosrbed to only think about himself and his new boy toy. Where’s his compassion for how this will effect his wife. He was the loser that got drunk and screwed the skank to get her pregnant!

14. Tara says:

I’m sick and tired of Charlotte always having to pay the price for Cooper’s misdeeds. Mason is the biggest Misdeed of all. Sorry folks can’t get happy or welcome Cooper’s bastard child on board. Cooper was already treading on thin ice with me for stealing the cord blood.

I want to watch Cooper suffer for a change of pace!!

Make Cooper suffer for this not Charlotte!

I wanna see Cooper cry and be beat up because of how much crap he bestows on Charlotte. Someone please beat the crap out of Cooper. He deserves it!

15. Michelle says:

Miss Langer needs to have that collosal wart removed from her face. I don’t want to look at it. She’s going to scare viewers away from the wart alone besides the horrible character she’s playing. It’s disgusting. Not happy at all with Private Practice this season!

• Nara says:

How about you don’t tune in then? She looks fine to me and it saddens me to see people act like immature brats because they’re not a happy with a storyline on a frigging tv show.

• Nicole says:

I think she’s gorgeous. Not as much as KaDee, but still gorgeous. Haters gonna hate, I guess.

16. Annie Cresta says:

Let’s get real for a seoond. What kind of mother keeps her kid away from his well off, PEDIATRICIAN, father for 9 years? It’s not like he’s some bum on the street. Cooper has always been much better itneracting with kids than adults and would have been a great father, instead he was robbed of a relationship with his son for a decade. There is nothing I hate more than women who keep kids away from their fathers for no good reason.

• Christina says:

Exactly! I hate this storyline for no other reason than I always feel bad for the dad who was deprived of the kids childhood. It’s horrible the mother thinks that she just has the right to dictate if the father is involved, especially when he is a good guy.

17. Heather says:

I hate story-lines where people suddenly have daughters! Its signals the beginning of the end!

• RK says:

Gilmore Girls Fan? They ruined Luke when he didn’t tell Lorelai about his kid. Keeping it a secret made no sense. Based on the preview for next week, Ciooper doesn’t make that mistake. Here’s my theory: Charlotte will play Sheriff again, but Cooper won’t appreciate it because she gets a DNA test done behind his back. Cooper needs to grow up and be more responsible with his actions, being a Dad might have that effect on him, being a step-mom could soften Charlotte and when it possibly turns out to not be his kid Charlotte will have warmed to the idea of motherhood because she now knows that Coop will be an amazing father and so she will destroy the DNA evidence to keep Coop happy – an intersting little twist on their recent fight. Thoughts?

18. Mandy says:

I hope they find out later that she was just using Cooper and she really doesn’t know who the father is.

19. GS says:

I don’t mind Coop and the kid as much as I do Sam and Addison. She wants a kid and he doesn’t. That is no relationship. I hate them together and it’s just stupid to draw it out. Put her with the hot Dr. Riley who can give her what she wants and give Sam someone who wants what he does.

20. Alicia L. says:

I knew it was coming, but come on! The storyline is unrealistic and hurts Charlotte/Coopers already volatile relationship! I do think Charlotte is going to do the DNA test because she loves Cooper and even though the whole thing makes her angry, she will do it to protect him, not because she is angry, she has lied about stuff in the past like her ex-husband!

21. Lara says:

Did you guys ever think that Charlotte will be upset at first but may grow to love the little boy and to be a great step-mom. I have a wonderful step-mom and it’s not that uncommon

22. jay says:

JUMP THE SHARK TIME!

23. Daria says:

AJ Langer nailed the coffin on Private Practice this season by what she said in this spoiler. CharCoop fan aren’t going to want to watch this unfold.

24. Justin K says:

I’m a HUGE Charlotte fan. HUGE. and I just don’t like that
    “she’s not ready to have a kid… SO BAM- we fixed that by throwing an illegitimate kid in the mix” I feel that Charlotte has been through enough.