How I Met Your Mother First Look: Katie Holmes as the Infamous Slutty Pumpkin

This Halloween, Ted Mosby will finally meet his Slutty Pumpkin on How I Met Your Mother, and we’ve got your first look at former Dawson’s Creeker Katie Holmes as the legendary character.

Ted and Naomi — I guess we can’t call her the Slutty Pumpkin anymore — will revisit the rooftop Halloween party where they first met in the Oct. 31 installment (CBS, 8/7c). Ted even puts on his old hanging chad costume for the special occasion before introducing her to Barney and Robin, who are wearing some interesting Halloween get-ups of their own. But the episode’s called “Perfect on Paper,” so we’re betting Naomi isn’t the future Mrs. Ted Mosby.

Exclusive: How I Met Your Mother Boss on [Spoiler]’s Return: ‘She’s Part of the Endgame’

The Slutty Pumpkin is just one of many mythologically important characters HIMYM is bringing back in its seventh season. Ted’s Season 1 girlfriend Victoria (Ashley Williams) already made a return, and EP Carter Bays teases that “there may be more [faces from the past] down the road.”

1. Tamagura says:

How did she get this past Tom?

2. Suzanne says:

More importantly…. check out Colbie in her Canucks shirt! Such a good Canadian girl.

3. Allie says:

Was anybody else expecting something a little more… well, slutty?

• Lauren says:

Yeah I remember when they said the outfit was cut in a slutty way. So, cut so you can see the top of her chest? Ooh. They should have at least had her wearing sexy lingerie underneath or something. Not that I’m into that, but if someone is called, ‘The Slutty Pumpkin’ they should probably fit the image.

• Liz says:

Is this when they meet?? I’m confused…if it’s not then it would make sense that she isn’t slutty she could have tones it down. Plus it’s Ted he over exaggerated and doesn’t tell the whole truth

• Meg says:

I don’t think this is when they initially meet. Robin didn’t meet The Slutty Pumpkin the first time around.

• Riley says:

I suppose the background to this story will be that it’s Halloween and Ted is single, hence he goes to the rooftop party dressed as the hanging chad, and Holmes character was also in a relationship in the intervening years, but now single, she decides to look up Ted and find out why he didn’t call.

But yeah, they’ve really toned down the outfit. Completely ruined the whole identity of the slutty pumpkin, now she’s just the ‘homely deflated evil orange’.

4. Cyclic says:

@Allie

My guess is, when she first wore it, there wasn’t black where the eyes, mouth and nose are.

• wordsmith says:

Yeah, she’s clearly wearing a shirt underneath the costume this time, whereas she probably wasn’t the first time Ted met her and coined the nickname. I’d wager real money that the episode dialogue will say exactly that.

• Josh says:

Actually, if you look closely at the right eye in the first pic, it looks like you can see her black bra and top of her chest through the eye hole.

5. joe says:

haha barney as apollo creed

• João Amaral says:

it makes sense. he likes the bad guys over the protagonists. he would never dress as Rocky

• Viv says:

Yea but Apollo was never really a bad guy. Ya know?! I hope he also dances around like Apollo did in Rocky 4 before the fight with Drago. That would be awesome. Creed had moves!

6. AUST says:

Ugh. Katie Holmes – no thanks.

7. Jason says:

In the “Slutty Pumpkin” Barney went as a fighter pilot and was quoting Top Gun the entire night! Now Tom Cruise’s wife debuts as the Slutty Pumpkin! They have been planning this for years!

8. K_Sull says:

I like to think Victoria made a re-return.

9. Rebecca Parker says:

I was a bit nervous when I heard she was cast, but this makes me feel better. She seems more Dawson’s Creek-Katie Holmes as opposed to Robot-Bride-Katie Holmes.

10. Ethan says:

Katie looks good here. It’s nice to see her in a comedy role, all smiling, having a good time.

• nick DALLAS says:

katie looks lame, it is supposed to be the slutty pumpkin not the modest pumpkin. she’s weak and not committed. it was better to see her in that horror film role, all screaming, having a rough time dieing!!!!! i just mocked your lameness ethan in case you didnt get it….

11. Josh says:

What a let down. A baggy pumpkin? They’ve built this moment up so much I was expecting something more inovative! Not near “slutty” enough!

12. chase says:

bleh.. not a fan of the Katie Holmes. would’ve been better if they had chosen someone else, even an unknown.

13. Julie W says:

Maybe that’s part of it – “Perfect on Paper” – he remembers her as slutty but she really wasn’t. She does look pretty wholesome/Dawson’s Creek in the picture.