Breaking: ABC Orders Full Seasons of Revenge and Suburgatory

ABC is plotting more Revenge and putting down roots in Suburgatory.

The network has picked up both freshman series for full, 22-episode seasons, TVLine has learned. Additionally, sophomore sitcom Happy Endings has received an order for six additional scripts.

Both shows have been solid ratings performers, not to mention critical faves. This week, Revenge surged 13 percent and took the 18-49 demo crown at 10 pm for the first time. Suburgatory, meanwhile, has proven to be the perfect companion to The Middle.

There’s no word on the fate of ABC’s other rookie series, although Charlie’s Angeles seems destined to become fall’s fourth casualty after The Playboy Club, Free Agents and H8R. The plunging Pan Am needs to stabilize fast before it earns a pickup, while potential breakout hit Last Man Standing is probably a week away from a back-nine order.

For those keeping track at home, Revenge and Suburgatory join The CW’s Hart of Dixie, Secret Circle and Ringer, Fox’s New Girl, NBC’s Up All Night and Whitney, and CBS’ 2 Broke Girls in this fall’s full-season club.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Full-Season Pick-Ups, News

1. Matt from UK says:

Expected and obvious. ABC really had to do it; Wednesday is their only good day now.

• Snapy says:

Oh happy day! Revenge is a fun show!

• sokey says:

I like Revenge well enough, it is a fun show. I just hope they break out of the “vengence on a person of the week” pattern. I know the show is about her revenge, but don’t get stuck in such a pattern.
        Switch it up some.

• Agreed says:

Interview with Emily Van Camp on one of these sites said that Eps. 1-4 (which we are now through) would cross off a person a week from the list. There is supposed to be a “big arc” from Eps. 5 through 8 (I think ) now, so it should be going away from what you are not liking about the show.

Can’t wait to see more of Revenge! This is a terrific show, and the best new drama launched this fall. Also very excited about the Happy Endings script order. They have come a long way from cancelled to last minute pickup to an extension on S2. Good for the gang! (And yes, more Megan Mulally back as Dana Hartz. She was an awesome guest!)

2. Mira says:

I like “Suburgatory” Revenge is too soapy yuck.

• blegh says:

You are wrong.

• Summer says:

That’s…kind of the point of a soap.

• Esther says:

You are dead wrong. Revenge is a fantastic show. Pretty much everyone who has seen it loves it.

• tarc says:

Revenge isn’t a soap – it’s a drama. If you didn’t watch enough of the show to determine that, you shouldn’t jabber on about it.

• davey says:

Nah, it’s pretty much a SOAP! But in the BEST of ways. It’s definitely one guilty pleasure for me on Wednesdays. Man, Wednesday has really become the BEST night of television this fall (for me anyway).

• Bette says:

I agree – Revenge is too much like a soap! No thank you!
      I LOVE Suburgatory!!! I’m a huge fan of Alan Tudyk and hope he’ll be seen more in future episodes. His facial expressions speak volumes! Congrats to Suburgatory!

3. Dude says:

Awesome! Double thumbs up!

4. Michael C. says:

Absolutely wonderful news for both shows. Congrats to both Revenge and Suburgatory, it is a small victory, which can become eventually a huge victory with a renewal.

5. Jason says:

These pickups will make people happy. :P

6. EveatEden says:

Woohoo! LOVING Revenge! Best new show of the year!

7. amanda says:

Soooooo excited!!! I love revenge and have turned all my friends onto it. Suburgatory is great too!

• Joyce Sumerlin says:

Revenge is the first night time soap I’ve watched since Dallas. It is great and I can’t stand that they already have to do reruns. Please hurry with new scripts.

8. Mark says:

I was not planning on watching revenge but then it was on Friday night when I wasn’t doing anything and my roommates and I found it super enjoyable. I was so pleasantly surprised. I’m glad it’s getting a full season.

9. Bobbi says:

So happy Revenge will have a full season! Love having a good, dishy nighttime soap back on tv.

• Tarc says:

Revenge isn’t a soap – it’s a single character drama. Pan Am is a soap (as was the late Playboy Club). Both are very much worth watching.

10. Sara says:

my wednesday thanks you, ABC!!!

11. Mikaylah says:

Love both these shows! I hope Pan Am gets a pick up. It is really improving, and last week’s episode was great. Charlie’s Angels is growing on me, albeit slowly. Bosley is pretty much the best character right now, IMO. I wouldn’t mind it having a full season to prove itself.

12. Saracen Riggins says:

Very pleased with both of these shows getting pick-ups! They are 2 of my 3 favorite new shows this season! The other being Pan Am. And hopefully soon to be Once Upon a Time!

13. Carrie says:

Awesome. I love both of these shows and good news about happy endings as well.

14. Sharon Blatz says:

ADORE Revenge! Emily VanCamp gives good evil eye!

15. DVX says:

They obviously conceived ‘Revenge’ to show up the end we watched at the beginning of the series at the season finale (now the mid-season finale) so I just hope the make something different for later and not posposing everything…

16. GS says:

Yeah! Loving Revenge! Didn’t intend to watch it but am so glad I did!

17. Candice says:

Finally!! It’s been years since ABC extended a show in Revenge’s timeslot.

18. Nikki says:

Yay! I only have 1 more new show that I’m watching that hasn’t been picked up yet. This makes me so excited!!!

19. Eliza says:

Michael, Why doesn’t ABC make Suburgatory available online?

Very happy that Revenge will have a full season. This is a show that started out as “I’ll give it a shot” and is now one of my top must see shows.

20. Brandy says:

Yeahhh for Revenge!awesome show.soo addicting.

21. daniel says:

OMG YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FOR REVENGE IM SO RELEAVED I WAS EXTREMLY WORRIED THAT IT WOULD WIND UP LIKE EASTWICK GOD FORBIDS THANK GOD ITS CONTINUING IM SO WONDERFULLY HAPPY AND EXTREMLY EXCITED TO SPEND THE REST OF THE FALL WATCHING REVENGE OMG THANX FOR SHARING THIS WONDERFUL NEWS TV LINE UR ALL SUPER GREAT

22. Sally says:

Really happy about Revenge!

And Charlie’s Angels will be the 5th casualty, after How to be a Gentleman, right? :P

23. fernando says:

super happy for Revenge, I also am glad for Happy Endings and I am liking Charlie’s Angels, I hope they at least give it a chance and give it a full season, i think they should move it to sundays at pan am time and move pan am to thursday in charlie’s angels time and see if they do better, the second ep. of CA was bad but then the 3rd was great and im sure the 4th will be wonderful.

24. David F. says:

Suburgatory is my favorite new show of the Fall season. I’m glad it will be sticking around a while longer.

25. Ella says:

YAY for Revenge!!!! This show is fantastic!

26. Michael says:

I’m surprised that Happy Endings was given a full season order. It’s retaining as much or more than the Cougartown audience.

27. Ronnie says:

Don’t be surprised if the Angels in jail episode tonite gives the ratings a little boost. The network will probably not think about cancelling it until after baseball is done. Why bring in something new to compete against the World Series when you can burn off what you have.

• Travis says:

If they know they will cancel it and they think reruns of something might do better in the slot through the World Series than they wont hesitate to cancel it…

I think if ratings drop again tonight, it gets cancelled tomorrow with possibly reruns of Pan Am on Wednesdays for a few weeks to try grabbing more eyes for that show.

28. sd says:

Revenge is wicked fun but very well written so I am glad it’s getting a full season.

29. brandy says:

Really happy about all of these, but especially Happy Endings. LOVE that show–every single episode is full of LOL moments.

30. Angelstorm says:

Fantastic !! LOVE me some Revenge :D Easily one of my favorites of the new season !

31. Lore says:

Really Good News, i reaally like Suburgatory, Jeremy Sisto is so cool, and it is great have Ana Gasteyer back in tv.

32. Elizabeth says:

Great news. Love both of these shows!

33. bhm1304 says:

Wow ABC makes 2 good decisions in one day; that makes 2 good decisions in about 10 years.

• Che says:

Yes! Still get depressed sometimes about Pushing Daisies, ABC is learning a bit, I REALLY hope PAM AM gets a full season as well.

34. E. says:

Great, but I want Happy Endings to get a full season order ASAP!

35. JJ says:

Is it bad that I find it hard to be happy because I want there to be a slot for Cougar Town?

36. castlefan says:

Revenge is great. Emily Van Camp ,Stowe and Grabriel Mann are amazing in their roles. Perfect casting. Best show of the season

37. dee123 says:

Yes! more times to play the REVENGE! dinking game!

38. Phoebi says:

I’m obsessed with Suburgatory so this is great news :)

39. Gentri says:

I hope Pan Am stays! It’s becoming my new Sunday night obsession.

40. Sharon says:

Surburgatory was a pleasant surprise for me. :) Does Tessa remind anyone else of Olive Penderghast from Easy A???

41. Esther says:

I’m so thrilled! I love Revenge, it’s the best new show of the season. Suburgatory is pretty good as well. I’ve had a crush on Jeremy Sisto forever. It’s great that he’s continuing to work steadily.

42. Gentri says:

Oh my gosh. Totally!!!

43. william smith says:

i like pam am

44. Carrie says:

Oh Thank GOODNESS!!!! Revenge is my FAVORITE new show this season!! I never watch a show the night its on I always DVR it and then watch it the following night or even on the weekend. I’m SOOO darn addicted to this show that I have to start watching it half way through. I cant make it till the next day.

I was starting to get a little worried that it might not get the full pick up. I have been browsing this site and a few others for Spoilers or ratings/reviews. & I wasn’t seeing as much buzz as some of the other shows. I was about to write to you Mr. Ausiello to see if you had any Revenge scoop.

THANK YOU, Thank You for sharing this info!! I am sooooo happy

45. Paul says:

I’m glad both were given full seasons, I enjoy the 2 shows!

46. Juan says:

Yay, now only if Pan Am gets renewed it will be super happy.

47. Reg says:

Revenge is really good, I only worry about the format. How many people can she really get revenge on?

48. bob says:

suburgatory is actually getting pretty good, and i was surprised at how much i laughed during last wednesday’s ep. i just can’t get over how little the show looks like new york suburbs. i live in westchester county (where this show takes place based on that map they showed from ep 1), and there is literally nowhere here like that. it seems to me that they’re really parodying somewhere more stereotypically superficial (a la hollywood/socal). it’s a funny show and i’ll continue to overlook this poor representation, but it really grates my nerves.

49. Ned Nutty says:

Congrats to REVENGE. The show’s only shortcoming is the painfully on the nose title. Rename it THORNE, ABC. Please.

PAN AM isn’t all bad. It’s less guilty pleasure than REVENGE but not as cohesive. The actress playing the French girl is a keeper and some of the others are getting better and better.

I think if ABC put PAN-AM as a lead into THORNE they’d have a powerful female-ish doubleheader.

50. kbooga says: