Breaking: ABC Orders Full Seasons of Revenge and Suburgatory

ABC is plotting more Revenge and putting down roots in Suburgatory.

The network has picked up both freshman series for full, 22-episode seasons, TVLine has learned. Additionally, sophomore sitcom Happy Endings has received an order for six additional scripts.

Both shows have been solid ratings performers, not to mention critical faves. This week, Revenge surged 13 percent and took the 18-49 demo crown at 10 pm for the first time. Suburgatory, meanwhile, has proven to be the perfect companion to The Middle.

There’s no word on the fate of ABC’s other rookie series, although Charlie’s Angeles seems destined to become fall’s fourth casualty after The Playboy Club, Free Agents and H8R. The plunging Pan Am needs to stabilize fast before it earns a pickup, while potential breakout hit Last Man Standing is probably a week away from a back-nine order.

For those keeping track at home, Revenge and Suburgatory join The CW’s Hart of Dixie, Secret Circle and Ringer, Fox’s New Girl, NBC’s Up All Night and Whitney, and CBS’ 2 Broke Girls in this fall’s full-season club.

Comments (77)

• Expected and obvious. ABC really had to do it; Wednesday is their only good day now.

Comment by Matt from UK – October 13, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh happy day! Revenge is a fun show!

Comment by Snapy – October 13, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like Revenge well enough, it is a fun show. I just hope they break out of the “vengence on a person of the week” pattern. I know the show is about her revenge, but don’t get stuck in such a pattern.
        Switch it up some.

Comment by sokey – October 14, 2011 05:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Interview with Emily Van Camp on one of these sites said that Eps. 1-4 (which we are now through) would cross off a person a week from the list. There is supposed to be a “big arc” from Eps. 5 through 8 (I think ) now, so it should be going away from what you are not liking about the show.

Can’t wait to see more of Revenge! This is a terrific show, and the best new drama launched this fall. Also very excited about the Happy Endings script order. They have come a long way from cancelled to last minute pickup to an extension on S2. Good for the gang! (And yes, more Megan Mulally back as Dana Hartz. She was an awesome guest!)

Comment by Agreed – October 14, 2011 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like “Suburgatory” Revenge is too soapy yuck.

Comment by Mira – October 13, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are wrong.

Comment by blegh – October 13, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s…kind of the point of a soap.

Comment by Summer – October 13, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yea, thats like watching Monday night football, and saying you don’t like it because they are playing football.

Comment by sokey – October 14, 2011 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are dead wrong. Revenge is a fantastic show. Pretty much everyone who has seen it loves it.

Comment by Esther – October 13, 2011 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Revenge isn’t a soap – it’s a drama. If you didn’t watch enough of the show to determine that, you shouldn’t jabber on about it.

Comment by tarc – October 14, 2011 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nah, it’s pretty much a SOAP! But in the BEST of ways. It’s definitely one guilty pleasure for me on Wednesdays. Man, Wednesday has really become the BEST night of television this fall (for me anyway).

Comment by davey – October 14, 2011 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree – Revenge is too much like a soap! No thank you!
      I LOVE Suburgatory!!! I’m a huge fan of Alan Tudyk and hope he’ll be seen more in future episodes. His facial expressions speak volumes! Congrats to Suburgatory!

Comment by Bette – October 18, 2011 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Double thumbs up!

Comment by Dude – October 13, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely wonderful news for both shows. Congrats to both Revenge and Suburgatory, it is a small victory, which can become eventually a huge victory with a renewal.

Comment by Michael C. – October 13, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These pickups will make people happy. :P

Comment by Jason – October 13, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woohoo! LOVING Revenge! Best new show of the year!

Comment by EveatEden – October 13, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, best new show of the fall by far, though I have to say Ringer is getting better and better each week.

Comment by ChrisGa – October 13, 2011 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m loving both Revenge and Ringer. I’m beyond thrilled they both got full season orders.

Comment by Esther – October 13, 2011 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree! Revenge & Ringer are my two Fall favorites. Ringer gets better every week!the ending of the last ep-Omfg…didn’t see that coming. Amazing.

Comment by G – October 13, 2011 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooooo excited!!! I love revenge and have turned all my friends onto it. Suburgatory is great too!

Comment by amanda – October 13, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Revenge is the first night time soap I’ve watched since Dallas. It is great and I can’t stand that they already have to do reruns. Please hurry with new scripts.

Comment by Joyce Sumerlin – November 30, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was not planning on watching revenge but then it was on Friday night when I wasn’t doing anything and my roommates and I found it super enjoyable. I was so pleasantly surprised. I’m glad it’s getting a full season.

Comment by Mark – October 13, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy Revenge will have a full season! Love having a good, dishy nighttime soap back on tv.

Comment by Bobbi – October 13, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Revenge isn’t a soap – it’s a single character drama. Pan Am is a soap (as was the late Playboy Club). Both are very much worth watching.

Comment by Tarc – October 14, 2011 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my wednesday thanks you, ABC!!!

Comment by Sara – October 13, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love both these shows! I hope Pan Am gets a pick up. It is really improving, and last week’s episode was great. Charlie’s Angels is growing on me, albeit slowly. Bosley is pretty much the best character right now, IMO. I wouldn’t mind it having a full season to prove itself.

Comment by Mikaylah – October 13, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very pleased with both of these shows getting pick-ups! They are 2 of my 3 favorite new shows this season! The other being Pan Am. And hopefully soon to be Once Upon a Time!

Comment by Saracen Riggins – October 13, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome. I love both of these shows and good news about happy endings as well.

Comment by Carrie – October 13, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ADORE Revenge! Emily VanCamp gives good evil eye!

Comment by Sharon Blatz – October 13, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They obviously conceived ‘Revenge’ to show up the end we watched at the beginning of the series at the season finale (now the mid-season finale) so I just hope the make something different for later and not posposing everything…

Comment by DVX – October 13, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah! Loving Revenge! Didn’t intend to watch it but am so glad I did!

Comment by GS – October 13, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally!! It’s been years since ABC extended a show in Revenge’s timeslot.

Comment by Candice – October 13, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I only have 1 more new show that I’m watching that hasn’t been picked up yet. This makes me so excited!!!

Comment by Nikki – October 13, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, Why doesn’t ABC make Suburgatory available online?

Very happy that Revenge will have a full season. This is a show that started out as “I’ll give it a shot” and is now one of my top must see shows.

Comment by Eliza – October 13, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeahhh for Revenge!awesome show.soo addicting.

Comment by Brandy – October 13, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FOR REVENGE IM SO RELEAVED I WAS EXTREMLY WORRIED THAT IT WOULD WIND UP LIKE EASTWICK GOD FORBIDS THANK GOD ITS CONTINUING IM SO WONDERFULLY HAPPY AND EXTREMLY EXCITED TO SPEND THE REST OF THE FALL WATCHING REVENGE OMG THANX FOR SHARING THIS WONDERFUL NEWS TV LINE UR ALL SUPER GREAT

Comment by daniel – October 13, 2011 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really happy about Revenge!

And Charlie’s Angels will be the 5th casualty, after How to be a Gentleman, right? :P

Comment by Sally – October 13, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • super happy for Revenge, I also am glad for Happy Endings and I am liking Charlie’s Angels, I hope they at least give it a chance and give it a full season, i think they should move it to sundays at pan am time and move pan am to thursday in charlie’s angels time and see if they do better, the second ep. of CA was bad but then the 3rd was great and im sure the 4th will be wonderful.

Comment by fernando – October 13, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suburgatory is my favorite new show of the Fall season. I’m glad it will be sticking around a while longer.

Comment by David F. – October 13, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY for Revenge!!!! This show is fantastic!

Comment by Ella – October 13, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised that Happy Endings was given a full season order. It’s retaining as much or more than the Cougartown audience.

Comment by Michael – October 13, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t be surprised if the Angels in jail episode tonite gives the ratings a little boost. The network will probably not think about cancelling it until after baseball is done. Why bring in something new to compete against the World Series when you can burn off what you have.

Comment by Ronnie – October 13, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If they know they will cancel it and they think reruns of something might do better in the slot through the World Series than they wont hesitate to cancel it…

I think if ratings drop again tonight, it gets cancelled tomorrow with possibly reruns of Pan Am on Wednesdays for a few weeks to try grabbing more eyes for that show.

Comment by Travis – October 13, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revenge is wicked fun but very well written so I am glad it’s getting a full season.

Comment by sd – October 13, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really happy about all of these, but especially Happy Endings. LOVE that show–every single episode is full of LOL moments.

Comment by brandy – October 13, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree happy endins is awesome, i only hope they get the full season order, 19 episodes is not enought !!!

Comment by rod – October 13, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic !! LOVE me some Revenge :D Easily one of my favorites of the new season !

Comment by Angelstorm – October 13, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. All I can say to this news is: YES!

Comment by Spencer – October 13, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really Good News, i reaally like Suburgatory, Jeremy Sisto is so cool, and it is great have Ana Gasteyer back in tv.

Comment by Lore – October 13, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news. Love both of these shows!

Comment by Elizabeth – October 13, 2011 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow ABC makes 2 good decisions in one day; that makes 2 good decisions in about 10 years.

Comment by bhm1304 – October 13, 2011 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Still get depressed sometimes about Pushing Daisies, ABC is learning a bit, I REALLY hope PAM AM gets a full season as well.

Comment by Che – October 13, 2011 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great, but I want Happy Endings to get a full season order ASAP!

Comment by E. – October 13, 2011 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it bad that I find it hard to be happy because I want there to be a slot for Cougar Town?

Comment by JJ – October 13, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revenge is great. Emily Van Camp ,Stowe and Grabriel Mann are amazing in their roles. Perfect casting. Best show of the season

Comment by castlefan – October 13, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! more times to play the REVENGE! dinking game!

Comment by dee123 – October 13, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m obsessed with Suburgatory so this is great news :)

Comment by Phoebi – October 13, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Pan Am stays! It’s becoming my new Sunday night obsession.

Comment by Gentri – October 13, 2011 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surburgatory was a pleasant surprise for me. :) Does Tessa remind anyone else of Olive Penderghast from Easy A???

Comment by Sharon – October 13, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so thrilled! I love Revenge, it’s the best new show of the season. Suburgatory is pretty good as well. I’ve had a crush on Jeremy Sisto forever. It’s great that he’s continuing to work steadily.

Comment by Esther – October 13, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my gosh. Totally!!!

Comment by Gentri – October 13, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i like pam am

Comment by william smith – October 13, 2011 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Thank GOODNESS!!!! Revenge is my FAVORITE new show this season!! I never watch a show the night its on I always DVR it and then watch it the following night or even on the weekend. I’m SOOO darn addicted to this show that I have to start watching it half way through. I cant make it till the next day.

I was starting to get a little worried that it might not get the full pick up. I have been browsing this site and a few others for Spoilers or ratings/reviews. & I wasn’t seeing as much buzz as some of the other shows. I was about to write to you Mr. Ausiello to see if you had any Revenge scoop.

THANK YOU, Thank You for sharing this info!! I am sooooo happy

Comment by Carrie – October 13, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad both were given full seasons, I enjoy the 2 shows!

Comment by Paul – October 13, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, now only if Pan Am gets renewed it will be super happy.

Comment by Juan – October 13, 2011 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revenge is really good, I only worry about the format. How many people can she really get revenge on?

Comment by Reg – October 13, 2011 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • suburgatory is actually getting pretty good, and i was surprised at how much i laughed during last wednesday’s ep. i just can’t get over how little the show looks like new york suburbs. i live in westchester county (where this show takes place based on that map they showed from ep 1), and there is literally nowhere here like that. it seems to me that they’re really parodying somewhere more stereotypically superficial (a la hollywood/socal). it’s a funny show and i’ll continue to overlook this poor representation, but it really grates my nerves.

Comment by bob – October 13, 2011 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats to REVENGE. The show’s only shortcoming is the painfully on the nose title. Rename it THORNE, ABC. Please.

PAN AM isn’t all bad. It’s less guilty pleasure than REVENGE but not as cohesive. The actress playing the French girl is a keeper and some of the others are getting better and better.

I think if ABC put PAN-AM as a lead into THORNE they’d have a powerful female-ish doubleheader.

Comment by Ned Nutty – October 13, 2011 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post