TVLine Items: The Lowdown on Lowe's Hair, New Girl's New Gal, Not-So-Rosie Ratings and More!

Chris Traeger’s questionable new Bieber ‘do is literally not long for the town of Pawnee.

Parks and Recreation showrunner Mike Schur recently addressed Rob Lowe’s noticeably longer locks (pictured, right) in the first few episodes of Season 4, telling EW.com that the change actually had nothing to do with the NBC comedy, and everything to do with the Drew Peterson biopic he was shooting for Lifetime during the hiatus. “His hair will go back to last year’s style (pictured, left) around Episode 5 or 6,” Schur assures.

Thank goodness for small favors.

Hot (Or Not?) Shot: Rob Lowe as Suspected Wife-Killer Drew Peterson

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Funny lady Rachael Harris (The Hangover, Notes from the Underbelly) has landed a guest spot on Fox’s (temporarily benched) New Girl, per EW.com, playing the quirky principal at the school where Jess (Zooey Deschanel) teaches.

• Monday was a rough night for premieres on OWN: The buzzy new Rosie Show underwhelmed, drawing in around 497,000 total viewers, while the opener of Oprah’s Lifeclass fared even worse, bringing in just 333,000 sets of eyes.

• Alexa Vega (Spy Kids) has been tapped to play the lead in Lifetime’s upcoming original film, The Pregnancy Project, which tells the true story of a 17-year-old who faked her baby bump as a social experiment, per Deadline.

Scoop: Lizzy Caplan Set for New Girl Romance

• The partially-retired Larry King announced via Twitter that his next CNN special will feature a sitdown with Johnny Depp, airing Sunday, Oct. 16, at 8/7c.

• Lifetime has greenlit a contemporary remake of the classic film Steel Magnolias, featuring an all-black cast, Deadline reports.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (25)

• I’m not surprised with the disappointing Oprah network ratings. The kind of people who watched her show in the afternoon are much less likely to control what’s being watched in the evenings.

Comment by satirex – October 12, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At least they are gathering all off the annoying old broads with a Messiah complex on one network. When will The View be transferring to OWN?

Comment by Templar – October 12, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Plus, Oprah viewers likely watched soaps as well. She upset them by not even trying to save the soaps. Those viewers would have been more likely to support OWN if she had.

Comment by Amanda – October 12, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness Rob Lowe’s hair will be back to normal soon! Can’t wait for tomorrow’s episode! =)

Comment by Brittany – October 12, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like any new show I think we need to let Rosie get her feet under her (perhaps get rid of the announcer) and work out the rough spots before we count her out. As for Oprah’s Lifeclass….if it has the feel of her last episode of her show I really don’t think it will fly. I want to be entertained in the evening…not preached to. Just my humble opinion! :)

Comment by Kim R – October 12, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree – that announcer is truly horrible. Also agree about Oprah’s last show. boring & preachy.

Comment by gina – October 13, 2011 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My comment on the ratings for Rosie is that my TiVo didn’t have the right times on their listings so I ended up taping the wrong thing (twice). I had to look online to find the right time on a website and then program my DVR manually. I actually enjoyed both shows so far and clearly she is tweaking as she goes. The biggest problem is that I think most folks just have little to no clue where Oprah’s channel is – for me it’s at 220 so it isn’t anywhere I might find it accidentally while channel surfing.

Comment by sinicalgrl – October 12, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And yet, over five networks, she had an audience of 1.5 million, was the second highest rated talk show on cable and posted triple digit increase over Discovery Communication’s numbers a year ago. So tell us again what a big failure it was, please.

Comment by Josh – October 12, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder how many viewers will pay to watch the OWN channel. It isn’t free. I think that is a major factor in the low ratings.

Re Rosie, I would not pay to see her program. To me, she is too over the top. Got enough of that in my life as it is.

Comment by Suncatcher – October 12, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Rosie Monday night on TLC. Does the fact that it was on other networks count towards the ratings?

Comment by maggie – October 12, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watch it the next day on my lunch break thanks to my DVR. So my set of eyes aren’t being counted.

Comment by Tia – October 12, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not Rachael Harris!

Comment by lariet50 – October 12, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s actually a really great way to do a cable talk show; putting it on five different cable channels (owned by the same company). This would overall get really good ratings, and make more money for them from advertisers. Its not like cable channels make that much money on each one of their shows anyway, so this would be a good thing to do on a permanent basis. They got 1.5 Million viewers over all of the five cable channels it aired on the first day. Hopefully they keep this up permanently, because that’s a good business model, considering cable channels can’t fill their schedule with quality stuff anyway, all the time, anyway; so why not?

Comment by uhyeahright – October 12, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @suncatcher I have dish Network and OWN is free.
    As far as the Rosie show goes my wife watched it, i didn’t, but i did see the announcer and she’s terrible.

Comment by WKD2 – October 12, 2011 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea but Dish Network isn’t free. I know a lot of people that have vastly cut their cable packages to the minimum and OWN is a premium channel to them.

Comment by Sash – October 13, 2011 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “the rosie show” ratings don’t really surprise me. it’s not on basic cable, and it’s not on during the daytime (ie two things that her last show were). i am a devout oprah super fan (sad to say), and she needs to retool this channel. fast. ps: who is going to watch old oprah episodes (in huge numbers)? “oprah’s life class” is kind of silly, if she’s looking for a hit.

Comment by sam – October 12, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Problem is many people don’t have OWN included in their cable package. My best friend wants to watch it but can’t afford to upgrade her package right now – so she comes and watches the shows on my DirecTV on the weekends. Just like other shows I would assume this includes live watchers only and doesn’t include folks that DVR’d it or watched any of the encore shows.

I personally enjoyed the Rosie show and have really liked Oprah’s Life Class. It’s not just repeats of old shows and I have gotten a few things out of it already.

Comment by Kristoffer – October 12, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, for anyone with DirectTV OWN is channel 279. Rosie airs like four times a day on OWN alone, nevermind other channels – I do wonder whether these ratings figures are merely for the 7pm live airing on OWN or if they include all the airings on OWN and/or airings on other affiliated networks. Surely more people have actually seen the show if all the airings are counted (not to mention DVR viewing). Sure, OWN isn’t likely part of the basic cable or satellite packages, and many people haven’t taken much notice of the channel yet even if they do have it. But I think Rosie’s show has the ability to grow as they smooth out the kinks and at this point it is still probably the biggest “hit” for the network so she’s not going anywhere.
    Side note: I liked how someone in the audience mentioned All MY Children tonight…hint hint, Oprah…there’s a good way to get more viewers and more buzz for the network, perhaps she should give Prospect Park a call…

Comment by Tess – October 12, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like it or not, abc soap fans feel like Oprah didn’t even try to save our soaps. If she’d made at least some attempt I think more soapfans would have made an effort to watch these new shows.

Comment by Carrie – October 12, 2011 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • then there are those of us that have OWN, but have absolutely no desire to watch…

Comment by shelly – October 13, 2011 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sorry for Rosie, she deserved better, but happy that OWN has this many problems. Maybe if the Queen would of backed up us soap watchers and picked up the shows, the numbers would be a lot bigger cause we would of been grateful. I don`t have OWN on my cable and she will never be on it. She had a great run, in her own words, all good things must come to and end, and that includes Oprah. Discovery should put back the original channel,that had more viewers then this.

Comment by televisionplus – October 13, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for sharing a wonderful post.

Comment by moncler discount store – October 13, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the heck man? Why is New Girl temporarily benched?

Comment by Miller – October 14, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “If you can’t say something nice, come sit by me.” Can’t wait!

Comment by craig – October 14, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Completely wrong on all accounts. I’m insulted you even took the time to write this information. The internet has once again let me down.

Comment by bob – October 15, 2011 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post