Battlestar Alum Tricia Helfer to Star in TNT Pilot – And Her Leading Man's a Real Dog

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Are Cylons dog people? Because Battlestar Galactica alumna Tricia Helfer has landed the lead in a new TNT pilot in which her main co-star is a canine.

Scent of the Missing, based on a book by Susannah Charleson, has chosen Helfer to star as a tenacious K-9 Search and Rescue volunteer, our sister site Deadline reports — and she gets the job done with the help of a mischievous golden retriever named Puzzle.

Among the two-legged cast, Gerald McRaney (Fairly Legal) has been cast as the father of Helfer’s character.

NBC’s The Firm Retains BSG‘s Tricia Helfer

The project is being co-written and executive-produced by CSI vets Carol Mendelsohn, Melissa R. Byer and Treena Hancock.

Helfer, who earned her geek cred on Battlestar, also has a major recurring role on NBC’s midseason series The Firm, which is a follow-up to the Josh Grisham novel/Tom Cruise film.

Comments (23)

• Why does “The Firm” keep making me want to watch it? Its NBC so its probably going to be a by the book legal drama but 2 cylons, Juliette Lewis, and Molly Parker. May have to check it out.

Comment by bhm1304 – October 12, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to be honest here. The premise for the pilot sounds awful. I think I would rather watch that CW pilot about two sisters who face off against each other during a zombie apocalypse.

Comment by Dean – October 12, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wait, there is a CW pilot about that? Really? You say that like its a bad thing but something about the sentence makes me want to watch that… at least the pilot.

Comment by Cameron – October 12, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There was a pilot about that last year. It never made it to series.

Comment by gabhainn – October 12, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s like Turner & Hooch the TV series, but with the sexy Helfer instead of Tom Hanks. I was really stoked about the sadly canned 17th Precinct, but this not so much.

Comment by DL – October 12, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s not anything like Turner & Hooch. Read the book before you make any more stupid comments on something you know nothing about.

Comment by Jack – October 13, 2011 04:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds awful. Love her, but she’s better than this.

Comment by Justin – October 12, 2011 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll only watch this if Dolph Lundren plays the dog who is also a scientist who can smell crime before it happens.

Comment by Chris – October 12, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love my golden. I think I have the raddest (is that a word?) golden retriever out there, but… like most goldies, mine would never try to solve a crime. I mean there’s a joke about what do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever. They aren’t that smart… I mean mine failed to be a service dog because he piddled on himself when he saw Darth Vader (that was a test at the service dog school). He would cry if he saw a bad guy. So this show, even though I am a HUGE dog person is a fail.

Comment by Kim – October 12, 2011 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sounds like your Dog is a fail. How about you try and judge the show on its merits and not on your experience.

Comment by Jax – October 13, 2011 03:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gosh Kim, I’m sorry your poor dog seems to be a dud but there are actually hundreds of golden retrievers out there today serving humans faithfully in all kinds of ways. All dogs have different personalities and not all are suited for work (as the book explains) but IN GENERAL Golden Retrievers are smart animals and have the right temperment. If you think they are so stupid why don’t you find all the thousands of people whose lives were saved or helped in some way by a search and rescue dog and tell that to them…let’s just see what they say.

Comment by Jackson – October 13, 2011 04:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wait…this show is a fail just because YOUR dog is an idiot? That sounds kind of stupid to me. Are you sure you’re not just jealous of golden retrievers because they are smarter than you?

Comment by Abby – October 13, 2011 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think people who judge shows that haven’t even been FILMED yet are a fail.

Comment by Henry – October 13, 2011 04:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ok, I love my dog too and I think he wouldn’t make for a great police dog. But he’s a Labrador Retriever and actually they are a typical service dog breed. Besides, your comment that your dog would never try to solve a crime made me laugh… I’m pretty sure every police dog out there wakes up with the thought “Hey what a nice day to catch some bad guys”. I think I might check the pilot out. Then I’ll say if it is a fail, like everyone just seems to assume…

Comment by Lea – October 13, 2011 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds actually pretty good. But it’ll all depend on how it will be filmed, if they focus more on the action/search and rescue or the tearjerker of the week. If the former, then great! If the latter, not thank you.

Comment by timotey – October 13, 2011 02:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You all are wrong. The dog works in Search and Rescue…not “solving crimes” like everyone said. I’ve actually read the book and it is very good. I’m not sure how well it will translate into a weekly TV series but I’m going to give it a shot because the story is actually compelling and the insight into how these dogs are trained is pretty cool.

Comment by LDSK – October 13, 2011 04:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where in this article does it say anything about the dog solving crimes? IT DOESN’T. Reading comprehension people…learn it.

Comment by Jane – October 13, 2011 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Other than the one person on here who said something positive about the show….have any of you actually READ the book? It’s not about crime solving. It’s really about the people and dogs who do search and rescue and how they train and learn and develope a relationship. It’s actually quite good and I would recommend it to any dog lovers out there.

Comment by Emily – October 13, 2011 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see it! The book was excellent, and I’m eager to see how it translates to TV!

Comment by tazzy – October 13, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, when is she going to go away?

Comment by Lisa – October 13, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sure would be great to see GERALD MCRANEY again!!!

Comment by Nancy – October 17, 2011 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t stand this woman. When will she go away?

Comment by LM – November 1, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Filming of the pilot for TNT is now over.
    Book author Susannah Charleson gave fansite Summer Glau Wiki an exclusive interview about the shooting.

Comment by chrisdvanne – December 20, 2011 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post