Exclusive

Ringer Exclusive: Did Henry Murder [Spoiler]?! Kris Polaha Sheds Light on This Week's Big Twist

[Warning: If you've yet to watch Tuesday's jaw-dropping installment of The CW's Ringer, avert your eyes...now!]

Something major happened in the final seconds of this week’s Ringer, and while our attention is certainly focused on the parties seemingly involved in the kerfuffle, we’re mostly interested in where this latest turn of events leaves friend of TVLine, Kris Polaha, and his (possibly) misunderstood Upper East Side yuppie, Henry.

Here, we talk to the actor about whether or not he whacked his onscreen wife (played by Tara Summers), the long road ahead for Henry, and how he fits into the Ringer world moving forward.

Ringer Bosses Talk Secret Identity Reveals, MIA Baby Bumps and the Real Siobhan’s Next Move

TVLINE | So, Henry is innocent right? You can tell me.
Of course I can… [Laughs]

TVLINE | I’m actually inclined to believe that he is. But what’s ahead for Henry? How does this maybe-murder mystery progress?
Next week’s episode is called “The Poor Kids Do It Everyday,” and it starts with Henry cleaning up this crime scene — you’re definitely left thinking that this man just killed his wife. It’s going to be a cat and mouse game for awhile; you’ll be thinking that Henry did it and then maybe that Bridget as Siobhan (Sarah Michelle Gellar) did it — and you’re not going to get answers right away. They’re going to keep raising the stakes. In fact, Gemma’s disappearance is the beginning of a four-episode storyline for Henry. It’s a catalyst for a pretty major arc.

TVLINE | You’re referring to it as a “disappearance,” so are we only going to see a bloody crime scene and not a body?
We don’t see a body. We don’t know if she’s alive, we don’t know if she’s dead, and there are no answers yet. The answers that are ahead will clarify whether or not Henry did whatever was done to Gemma, as well as what kind of character Henry is — but if I tell you that, it will give it all away. [Laughs]

TVLINE | This latest development is definitely pushing Henry to the forefront and allowing you to be featured much more prominently on the series than we’ve seen thus far.
Oh, definitely. Henry is getting [a lot to do] and it’s wonderful. Next week’s episode was directed by Jerry Levine, who fans might remember directed a handful of episodes of Life Unexpected, and it is intense. There is some good stuff that happens in that one, especially for me.

The CW Doubles Up on Ringer, Says Later to H8R

TVLINE | Is Gemma’s disappearance going to impact characters beyond Henry? I have to imagine that other people will begin wondering where she is, particularly Andrew.
Absolutely. Next week, Briget as Siobhan and Henry get into it. All of a sudden, he realizes that she may have had a hand in [Gemma's disappearance], and then the police get involved and it becomes this full-fledged investigation. Henry and Gemma were this intriguing New York couple and suddenly she’s gone in this mysterious manner, so it becomes a very public thing. There’s a scene in a future episode where Henry shows up at a big opening of a building Gemma designed, and the paparazzi are stalking him because it’s so high profile. It [felt] a little like the O.J. Simpson case.

TVLINE | Is Nestor Carbonell’s Machado one of the agents on the case?
All roads ultimately lead back to Nestor. The cops that initially get involved are two NYPD police officers, but obviously it’s on the radar, so Machado gets involved. What I will say that’s interesting is that the one person who knew that Bridget wasn’t Siobhan [has now] disappeared, so you have to understand that there’s a bigger conspiracy happening here. I would just be cautious of any new characters stepping foot on the show. [Laughs]

Ringer Scoop: Buffy Vet Lands Guest Spot!

TVLINE | Executive producer Pam Veasey recently told us, “Henry is here to stay.” Regardless of how this arc plays out, how does your character fit into this world moving forward?
Because Henry doesn’t know about Bridget being Siobhan, there’s a lot of ground to cover there. And remember, Siobhan is still out there and pregnant with his kid. When or if she ever comes back, there has to be a conclusion to that relationship. And then further down, in Episodes 8 and 9, you’ll see Henry interact more with Jaime Murray, who plays Olivia at Andrew’s company, when she decides to poach the tons of money that Henry and Gemma have together. This is just my speculation, but if Gemma is gone and it’s not Henry’s fault, he could stand to inherit a ton of cash that would set him up for some interesting things. You will also meet his kids for the first time in Episode 8. It’s fun that it’s been such a slow build for my character and now there have been a few episodes that are very Henry heavy, and it’s going to switch gears again very soon. It has to because Henry’s got a lot of cleaning up to do. He’s not a very likable character. He was cheating on his wife with her best friend and is carrying on a friendship with the husband of the woman he’s sleeping with and now he’s involved in this murder mystery — cleaning up blood and hiding a car? It’s crazy and he looks so guilty. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Is it safe to say that fans may grow to better understand Henry because of the current set of circumstances?
By the end of all of this, you’re going to understand that Henry is more of a permanent fixture in this world. Whether or not you decide to like him will be a personal preference. [Laughs] Over the next four episodes, you’re going to see Henry go through some dramatic changes in his attitude toward the world he’s living, who he thinks Siobhan really is, and his place in that little group.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Burning Questions, Exclusive, Interviews, Previews, Spoilers

1. Rebecca says:

This episode was fantastic! I was already sucked in but this guaranteed that I’m hooked forever! I hope the CW doesn’t cancel it like it did the other great show, LUX.

2. Luz says:

I was pleasantly suprised by that twist last night and look forward to seeing how it all plays out!

• Agreed says:

No question that this was a great ending to an ever improving show! I was so excited that Gemma and her bad hair and attitude were gone from the show, but at least we will get some more twists and turns. I want to like Henry (because I like Kris!), but his character has not been allowed to do anything but brood so far. Being married to a shrew like that could be a big part of the problem, though.

I am excited to finally see the twins! Can’t recall that they have mentioned a nanny, daycare, etc. but perhaps I missed it. Seems like we honestly should have seen them before Ep. 8 in any case…

• bklyngirl says:

I could care less about Gemma. I hope she stays away. Her and Henry were a poor mismatch.
        His character shouldn’t have be married to her in the first place. He really has chemistry with Sarah Michelle Gellar.
        I can see them expanding on Henry as a grey character with layers, like Damon is on TVD.

3. Cindy says:

Great interview! The show was really good last night – looking forward to further complications and hoping the show sticks around for a while.

4. TVisGood says:

Loving this show and enjoying the twists and turns very much but last night’s episode had me on the edge of my seat! Can’t wait to see Jaime Murray & Kris Polaha on the screen together again and this time not a mother & son (Valentine)!

5. J says:

We were told we could grow to like Henry…. right now I do NOT like him AT ALL. But I’m loving it!! I know Gemma was a bitch this episode, but I do like her. I’m hooked on this show. Way to go, Buffy!

6. Ava says:

It sounds like this show got much better than the Pilot ep was. I think I may have to take a second look!

• Marie says:

You should!!! I decided to stick around even after the weird pilot.. last week ep was really good and this week was amazing!! And from next week promo, it looks like it’ll be very good too. It just keeps getting better and better!!!

• murley says:

definitely check it out again. it gets more and more engaging with every episode.

7. Loni says:

I am really not liking this show so much. It’s just too over the top for me. Setting it up to look like Gemma had been murdered by her husband was just nauseating. I don’t care how much a person hates their spouse, most decent people realize that they are still their kids’ parent and wouldn’t want to put their kids though that. Just too bizarre and not-relatable for me.

• Rebecca says:

Why are you assuming that Henry killed Gemma? That’s quite the leap to make. Although it does occasionally happen IRL, so I don’t know how OTT such a thing is when the news regularly runs stories about mothers who kill their kids, wives who off their husbands, and the like. If you don’t want to watch it, fine, but you don’t even know that’s what happened in this case.

• Dash says:

Um do you watch the news? People kill their spouse all the time. Crack open a national newspaper and you’ll see.

• Tania says:

I’ve heard of the BUBBLE boy, but this is ridiculous.

8. One More Thing says:

Did anyone else think that Juliet writing “whore” in red on Shiv’s Tyra-sized photo in the hall way would be a good enough reason to just take it down and throw it out?

Honestly, it has been one of the most disconcerting things in their apartment at this point and I think of ANTM every time I see them pass that wall-sized photo… Tyra loves Tyra, so I can only assume Shiv must love seeing Shiv everywhere too

9. Rebecca says:

I already like Henry, and I don’t believe he killed Gemma. What happened to her and who did it are interesting questions. I really don’t know where this is going. It’s making me speculate a lot!

• bklyngirl says:

I like Henry too. Gemma was dead weight, who should they keep away. I didn’t love her nor felt towards her character. She just looked fake!

10. Robin says:

Excellent Ep. Gemma’s character was awful. I couldn’t believe she was actually going to push Bridget to do that, horrific.
    I am glad Bridget didn’t do it.
    I don’t like Henry, but that has more to do with what his character is doing (1) cheating on his wife with his friends wife. SICK. So I have no empathy at all for his character.
    I look forward to see how this plays out in the next episode!

11. wasabi says:

Maybe whoever’s involved with the attempt on Bridget’s life (in the unfinished loft) — say, the guy who wanted the assassin’s cell phone back — went after Gemma as a way to get at Siobahn. Henry may have then assumed that Siobhan and Gemma had a fight about their affair before he got home, and he cleaned things up to protect Siobhan. Maybe the cell phone guy has Gemma locked up somewhere — and maybe some of that blood is his. She could have whacked him with that lamp in a struggle.

• J says:

That sounds like the best theory to me.

• Irishgirl says:

I think the assassin that went after Siobet (Bridget as Siobhan) was sent by Siobhan to kill her sister and make it look like Siobhan was killed. And based on this interview with Polaha, I’m wondering if Siobhan didn’t have something to do with Gemma’s disappearance. In the tease for next week’s episode, you hear Henry say to Siobet that they used to talk about killing Gemma…..I’m assuming so they could be together. So, I had a thought last night that perhaps Siobhan has cooked up this plan to fake her death, get rid of Gemma, steal Andrew’s money, and then disappear into the sunset with Henry. Perhaps the murder of Bridget was supposed to be pinned on Gemma, giving Henry an out and a way to keep the kids…..although he’s never struck me as the type to want to keep his kids. Hmm…just a theory I had.

Prior to last night’s episode, I had a theory that Siobhan was working with Olivia to get Andrew’s money….or ruin his company or career. Not sure why, but it was just a feeling I had. I also don’t trust the new guy trying to become Siobet’s sponsor…what was his name? Charlie? He just seems a little too eager. I’m glad the show has picked up speed and getting more twists and turns.

12. Amy Leigh says:

Based on Kris’s comments it doesn’t sound like they’re going to do much to redeem Henry’s character. It’s either going to be you like him or you don’t, and I am definitely in the don’t like him category and I don’t see that changing. That said, Kris is doing a fantastic job as is all of the cast. That ending last night was so surprising. I’m loving this show more and more with each passing week.

13. Dee says:

The show is definitely getting better.

Everything is moving so quickly, the storylines are constantly changing. Hopefully the writers have enough ideas to keep it at its brisk pace

Love it!!

14. Kyle Andrews says:

I should hate this show and think that it’s super soapy, but I find it intriguing and it doesn’t seem like a soap somehow. But my theories?

Olivia is working with Siobhan in order to take Andrew’s company (I’m guessing that Siobhan’s new boyfriend works for Andrew). This could lead to Andrew using Bridget as Siobhan for his own benefit later on.

Gemma isn’t dead. Ignoring my first theory, I think that she could have faked her death to frame her husband… and she might have gotten the idea from Siobhan. Maybe she knew that Siobhan faked her death somehow. Either that, or Olivia did something to Gemma, in order to gain access to her money.

Do we know for a fact that it was Bridget that met with Henry and told him everything that Gemma was going to do? I can’t remember if she said anything that made it 100% undeniably Bridget. I’m starting to think that whenever Siobhan gets back to New York, we might not know it right away. We might think that we’re watching Bridget when we’re actually watching Siobhan.

• Irishgirl says:

Hey!….I had the same theory about Olivia and Siobhan! Glad I wasn’t the only one with that theory. I do think it was Bridget that told Henry about Gemma’s plans. I can see how it might appear to be Siobhan, because Bridget was too confident when meeting with him. But once she started pleading with him to work things out with Gemma, I figured it was Bridget. Plus I don’t see how Siobhan would know what had happened in the Hamptons and Gemma’s blackmail plans. I agree though that Siobhan’s return to New York might be unknown to the audience for awhile. That would be a smart little twist. On a side note, why the hell hasn’t Bridget dumped that damn gun in the Hudson River?

• Deion says:

There were no Siobahn scenes this week, so we don’t know if she’s still in Paris and that makes your theory intriguing. But unless Gemma had been in contact with her, she couldn’t have known that Gemma overheard Henry and Bridget in the Hamptons. That would imply that Gemma knew that Siobahn was gone the whole time, and that opens up an entirely new set of questions.

I’ll have to rewatch, but it certainly seemed like there was something in motion when Henry called Gemma in the last scene we saw her in. She made a show of arguing with Henry for someone’s benefit, likely a cab driver. Henry, I’m sure, thinks that Siobahn(Bridget) had something to do with what happened at his house. But Gemma calling Andrew, instead of the police, makes me believe that what happened to her was not of her doing.

• jj says:

i’m thinking more and more that gemma framed her husband. if she were worried she would have called 911. if she just wanted to get her husband and maybe siobhan in trouble, then faking her own disappearance would do it. the only thing is that it was rather quick to plan it since she just found out bridget wouldn’t go along with her plan. unless she really didn’t plan for bridget to sleep with her husband and had something else in mind for when bridget showed up… i love that we aren’t sure where this is going. i’m so bored with predictable storyline shows- whether they be dramatic or comedic (NEW GIRL, i’m looking at YOU!)

15. Sarah says:

Love Love Love this show…..it better not get cancelled!!!!!!! The characters are great and the storyline is even better!

16. Tabitha says:

Love Kris Polaha! So glad the producers want to keep his character – I want to keep him around! :) Still bummed Life Unexpected was cancelled, but loving Ringer and Secret Circle.

• Marie says:

Totally agree!! I actually discovered Life Unexpected two weeks ago and can’t believe that a show that amazing has been cancelled so fast!! I watched the whole thing in a week.. But I like having Polaha on Ringer and Britt Robertson on TSC..! I’m glad Polaha’s character will stick around!

17. Carrie says:

Henry looks really guilty, too guilty, so I seriously doubt he killed Gemma. Maybe she isn’t even dead. Who knows? All I know is that there has to be more to the story. I’m glad they’re keeping Kris Polaha around because he is smoking hot and has all kinds of charisma, despite his creepy character.

18. Lisa says:

The CW just ordered a full season of Ringer!!!!

19. Lauren says:

Kris Polaha is my favourite thing on Ringer. And that is speaking as someone who rates Buffy as my all-time favourite show. I’m glad to see he’ll be getting more screentime. Even when he’s playing a huge douche I want to give him a big hug.

• Magically Suspicious says:

Agree, Agree, Agree! Except I want to do WAY more than hug him. WAAAAAAAYYYYY more. Mr. Palaha is brilliant.

• bklyngirl says:

ITA, and Henry is the latest bad guy that they will bring layers to as episodes go on. Just like Damon started out on TVD.

20. Lisa says:

Great ending

21. Danny says:

I have a theory…it must be bunnies. Anyway, inside joke. I think Henry found Gemma’s dead body and assumed that Siobhan did it so he covers it up but it will turn out to be someone else completely. I just feel bad for her sponsor lol

22. bellahyae says:

great ending? wonderfull episode? i hope all of you were kidding!
    i cannot beleave a show would have a women being abused and maybe even murdered in it. i knew better, the episode name was disrespectful and mean, also hurtful to women and anyone. also, i do not like the swearing in the show, i am really disapointed in the values of this show. i was happy the the charactor bridget was trying to repair her sisters life, but there are too many parts about the show which make it unable to be watched. the morels and integrity of this show disapoints me :(

and all of you, acting as though you just saw something so lovely and wonderfull…when it’s someone being murdered with blood on the walls! i am disapointed that you all would approve of that. and if someone says if you dont like it change the channell…well how can i when it seems all the other channels have that same sort of disrespectful things happening in them ? and how is someone who is angry at there husband for cheating on them a bad person? what she was asking bridget to do was awful, but what bridget said “find a way to quiet her down” was awful too. now it looks as though i will have to cancel watching anything because of this low level of behavour :(. i am very sad that another show is doing this kind of thing :(.

• Tina says:

[ but what bridget said “find a way to quiet her down” was awful too.]
      How was it awful? If you re-watch that scene, she suggested to Henry that she should tell Gemma that he loves her in order to keep her quiet.

• Leo says:

Are you kidding? “A Whole New Kind of Bitch” is the best episode title I’ve seen so far. It’s so catchy and Juliet’s the right person to utter this word.
      It’s so awesome that they’re picking up quotes as titles.