HBO Renews Boardwalk Empire For Third Season

Get More: News, Renewals

Take a shot if you saw this coming: Boardwalk Empire is coming back for a third season, HBO announced Wednesday.

“Following a triumphant first season, I was eager to see what Terry Winter, Martin Scorsese and the rest of their stellar team had in store, and they continue to surpass our highest expectations,” said HBO president Michael Lombardo. “The response from the media and our viewers has been extremely gratifying.”

At last month’s Emmy Awards, Empire — which is three episodes into its second season — picked up eight (mostly technical) trophies, including one for best director Martin Scoresese.

Comments (12)

• Great news. Love me the Jersey shore.

Comment by whatis – October 12, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awesome sauce!

Comment by kyle – October 12, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • mmmm michael pitt

Comment by Amanda – October 12, 2011 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you HBO! Quality programing does attract viewers. My Lord I love this period drama. There are NO simple characters. There are secrets and lies, and a lot of pain and conflict. The show has one of the best casts on television today. Even small roles are so intriguing.

Comment by JHarnes – October 12, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE this show! Have told everyone I know to watch…casting is awesome. It’s like watching a movie every week, not a TV show. My only complaint is that I hate it when each episode is over!!! I WANT MORE!

Comment by cj – October 12, 2011 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Easily the most overrated show on TV.

It’s incredibly boring.

Comment by Matt – October 13, 2011 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You mean to say there isn’t enough violence and dirty language to keep a plebeian like yourself entertained?

I’m sure there’s a Larry the Cable Guy special on somewhere for you to watch.

Comment by The Truth – October 16, 2011 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent show with great actors.

Comment by Ole – October 14, 2011 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best show HBO ever had. Each wk. keeps getting better. Excellant cast.

Comment by jpt – November 7, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • (Third season?)I just nutted in my pants!

Comment by john NY – November 21, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a series,I love it,best thing HBO has ever done.This series stays true to the history yet has enough fiction to make it go.I’m happy as hell that we have a third season to look forward to!Thanks to HBO and the whole cast,brillant work we love it!

Comment by gunslinger – November 28, 2011 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow!!! Boardwalk Empire season 3 is coming next year?!!!! It is so cool!!!!!! I am just watching season 2. It has a good story. Also, I liked Boardwalk Empire season 1 because the main character acted well.

Comment by Geun Wu Park – December 5, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post