Monday Ratings: Fox Shows Beaned By Baseball, ABC's Castle Sacked By Football

Baseball been berry, berry good to Chico Escuela, but not to Fox’s Monday night line-up, which this week in many markets got pushed back more than an hour by the ALCS Game 2 — and to ill effect.

Terra Nova drew just 7 million total viewers and a 2.5 demo rating, dropping 20 percent from its last regular airing. (If you missed the episode, it’s now streaming online, available via VOD and encoring Saturday at 9 pm.) Likewise, House was greeted at the 10 o’clock hour by just 6.9 million viewers and a 2.7 rating, down 30 percent from its season premiere.

House First Look Video: Hugh Laurie and Olivia Wilde Weigh In on ‘The New Girls’

Neither was ABC’s Castle (10.2 mil/2.1) feeling in a “sporting” mood: With the network’s Detroit affiliate bailing on the cop drama in favor of the undefeated Lions’ game, it dropped 9 and 16 percent, respectively.

Elsewhere on Monday:

8 pm | Dancing With the Stars saw a rare (yet faint) uptick, drawing 16.8 million viewers and a 3.0 demo rating. Opposite the close of the late-innings ALCS game, CBS’ sitcombo of How I Met Your Mother (8.9 mil/4.0) and 2 Broke Girls (10/7 mil/4.3) dropped a few percentage points, while The Sing-Off (4.4 mil/1.5) was down double digits. Gossip Girl, at 1.27 mil and a 0.6, slipped 14 percent in the demo.

Dancing With the Stars Recap: Bust a Movie

9 pm | Two and a Half Men dominated with 16.2 million viewers and a 5.9 rating, dipping just a hair from last week. Mike & Molly led out of that with 11.7 mil/3.9, down about 10 percent.   Hart of Dixie‘s gumbo cook-off was viewed by 1.57 mil while scoring a 0.6 rating, toppling 25 percent in the demo.

Hart of Dixie Exclusive: Dawson’s Creek Alum to Play [Spoiler]!

10 pm | Castle squeaked out the win in total viewers, while Hawaii Five-0 (10.1 mil/2.7) tied House for the demo lead. NBC’s Prime Suspect repeat (2.9 mil/0.7) delivered little more than half of Playboy Club‘s demo rating.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Amber says:

ALCS…that is the answer I’ve been looking for in my crossword puzzle to the question “World Series precursor: Abbr.” (Sports dummy here). Thanks Matt!! :) I’ll conquer this puzzle sooner or later.

I was not helping anybody’s ratings last night as my cable was out. I didn’t even get shows DVR’d. I’m watching last night’s Dancing with the Stars online right now. I don’t think I’m going to finish it before the elimination round starts. Oh well.

2. Sam says:

It’s a shame we’ll never know just how MASSIVE House’s numbers would’ve surely been if only baseball hadn’t pushed it back… *pours one out*

• Michelle says:

I’d consider myself a fairly hardcore House fan and I have absolutely no interest now that Lisa E is gone.

• Allison says:

That’s too bad—the episode was fantastic in my opinion! The loss of a few fans shouldn’t hurt too much as long as the writers keep remembering story. They’ve kept me and I had no hope at all until I gave it a shot.

• Russ says:

Really? Cuddy was kinda lame. Plus this past episode was great and brought the curiosity of where is House’s team, plus I love the new little asian girl… whose name escapes me.

• Sam says:

@Michelle, well *I* have absolutely no interest now that the character of House has officially been destroyed.

• Sam (not the Sam from the comment above ;-)) says:

Destroyed by Cuddy, yes. It’s good that she’s gone, because now he’s back to his old amazing self.

• Sam says:

Hardly. It’s all been David Shore’s doing–he is the architect of his own demise.
            Still can’t believe what he’s done to the show. It’s like he killed his own child, and you can’t un-murder a child (believe me, I’ve tried ;)). House isn’t back to anything.

• Michaela says:

Yeah. Everyone I know who watched it last night felt it was just off with the new changes and no Cuddy. I was a hardcore “House” fan too, but yeah, no Cuddy. :( I didn’t have the heart to watch it last night.

I also missed “Castle”. The only show I watched last night was “Two Broke Girls”. I did catch “Castle” tonight. It was an okay episode. Seamus did a good job and Rob Bowman never, ever disappoints. To end on an up note, I love all of Matt’s stories on “Castle”. He gets the good stuff. :)

• Alicia says:

Castle was just “okay”?? It was my favorite episode in a long time.
          We got an intriguing (while believable) case; none of this hokey comic book/superhero or cryogenic frozen heads stuff. Also a high stakes investigation with good, old-fashioned detective work and emotional investment throw in (I may or may not have cried when I thought that college kid got killed).
          This is the Castle I love. I wish it would stick to believable/serious crimes and quit with the camp.

• Crimson Vengeance says:

The superhero episode was awesome. BLAM!

• Hols says:

I like episodes like last night… once in a while. I have no desire for Castle to try to be NYPD Blue or Homicide: LOTS… that’s not this show’s strength. It’s strength is humor mixed with genuine serious affection between the characters. I think a 1/2 camp to 1/4 serious to 1/4 continuing plotlines outside of police station = Good for the show

• Sally says:

Everyone I know loves the new/old House without Cuddy and watched with pleasure last night! We all are hardcore House fans since season 1, but Cuddy got so annoying recently, it’s good that she’s gone. Well, if you don’t like it, don’t watch. I didn’t watch major parts of season 7 because it sucked. But now – oh my, awesome! Almost like during the first seasons!

• Ebowers says:

Sally House has low enough ratings as it is . So If you still like watching House I would stop advising and alientating other viewers who might be returning to give House a new try

• Liz says:

Well, I tune in again BECAUSE she is gone. Cuddy was so annoying during the last season, and Huddy… don’t get me started, pure HATE for that. The new episode is awesome, if you really were a fan, you should watch.

• Sam says:

How very curious that the comments of Liz, Sally and Sam (the 2nd) all share the same sentiments. All share the same awkward and stilted sentence structure. And all appeared within mere minutes of each other.
          Now I’m not saying they’re all the same person (yes, I am), just that seemingly birds of a feather, or more appropriately, Houseflies, flock together.

• Ebowers says:

Well…. Thank you for your unsolicted and unbiased opinion on Lisa E

• D says:

Oh come on now, let’s at least pretend to dabble in the realm of reality. If you were aware of how ratings typically go for any show, and what happens when they’re interrupted by sports, you should be able to extrapolate that a show like House, that grabs a nice handful of casual viewers and not people such as ourselves browsing TV websites, would not, under normal circumstances and regardless of any quality dip, would drop that in the span of one week. Your snark is so unwarranted and based around zero logic that I can’t even snark back. All I can do is state fact.

3. fernando says:

I wish more people would watch Hart Of Dixie,it’s really good, im just postive that they wont cancel this show if they do they have to cancel 90210 and Gossip Girl as well because Dixie makes more then both of those shows.

4. housefan says:

I wanted to watch House but first i had no idea if house will air, fox didn`t tell me. Additionally i watched Terra Nova for about 20min and it was horrible,sorry. I changed the channel and slept in.
    I downloaded the episode on itunes today and all i can say it was awesome. House is back!! I only can recommend the episode.

5. Ant says:

NBC will end up ruining Grimm by putting it on Monday

6. darclyte says:

The ALCS almost completely ran over Terra Nova so that there barely was enough on the DVR worth watching. won’t air an episode on their site until 8 days later (unless you have DirecTV,) but in an odd quirk, it’s available on Hulu so I watched it today. Castle is airing in the Detroit area at 1:05 am tonight (err…Wednesday morning technically.)

7. Mark says:

Uhhh my DVR says baseball is gonna be on on Saturday, not Terra Nova. Is that wrong?

• Chris says:

Saturday will have baseball only if Game Six is needed in the ALCS. Which, as of tonight seems VERY unlikely. Otherwise, regular programming is supposed to air.

At least, that’s what my TV Guide says. And I hope it is correct, since I need more than 7 minutes of Terra Nova to burn onto my DVD.

8. Sean says:

I think Prime Suspect is one of the best new shows, nice to see Maria Bello in a top-notch role. I just wish more would give it a try!

9. Helen says:

I LOVE Hart of Dixie a part of me still deeply loves Gossip Girl but i just cant watch with all the Chuck Blair drama going on smh i havent watched it since Dair happened and i refuse to watch it again until im given solid hope that Chair will survive

• ChrisGa says:

GG has pretty much lived(and of late, just barely) on the same storyline for the entirety of its’ run i.e. Blair and Chuck loving/hating each other and Blair constantly trying to one-up/back stab her “BFF” Serena. The occasional wrench in one/both of those scenarios(tired ass Nate, boring ass Vanessa, other random hotties) usually has yet to yield big dividends, with the exception of a possible Blair/Dan pairing, which might actually liven up the show. I’m thinking this season is the last gasp for that show. On a different note, still enjoying Hart of Dixie; ratings aren’t boffo, though typical for the CW, but increasing on viewers from GG must help its’ cause a little. Right?

10. me says:

Caught the last few mins of CASTLE. I love Nathan Fillion but it looked like he swallowed the whole cast. Funny how everyone jumped on Britney when she gained a few pounds but no one bats an eye when Nathan F seems to have gained two supermodels. HUGE DOUBLE STANDARD.

11. Dayo says:

nooo! Terra Nova and House!!:(

12. Faith says:

Last 2.5 mam episode is the last one for me. Asthon is not funny and the show now is unwatchable. I am not surprised it dropped again. Four weeks, Four drops.
    Yikes. Hawaii 50. Biggest drop for a CBS show. Again no surprise. The show is so unrealistic and lame. The show survived last season because of Scott. And CBS is adding new characters this year to the main four cast trying to improve the acting from last season that was 0.

13. Siobhan says:

Dear networks:

Not everyone has a small enough mind to be amused by balls being thrown, hit or kicked.

What about us?

14. Grace says:

I was able to stay up for HOUSE last night and was so happy I did. I LOVED IT!! Because the baseball game ran so late all shows were pushed back. Some parts of the country didn’t get to see HOUSE until 12:30 a.m. I’m sure the ratings for TERRA NOVA and HOUSE will do much better next week. :)

15. Kath G says:

I am a hardcore fan of House, and I loved the ep. Like others have said, it was far better than most of the S7 eps. Its just those Huddys who can not move on with out their goddess who walked from the show! If you dont want to watch the show anymore fine dont, but stop spoiling it for those who still love the show, you are not funny any more, in fact, as House would say “your idiots”. Base ball and football screwed every show last night. Fox should know better than to put 1st run eps up against sports, so they should not care about the ratings.

16. Nellie says:

@Grace — House was certainly not pushed back until after midnight. Fox started its primetime lineup at about 7:50 p.m. Central time (8:50 p.m. Eastern). So everything ran a little less than an hour late — and only in two timezones. Mountain and Pacific had regular timeslots.

17. Hope says:

I only watch HIMYM on CBS Mondays. I hate 2.5 man with Asthon and I am so tired of the fat jokes of Mike&Molly. Later Hawaii 50 is the perfect show to put you to sleep. Boring and lame.
    I hope Terra Nova stays for a while, this show, with House and Castle are the only things to watch on Mondays. Unless you are fat and over 60, in which case I am sure u will love CBS.

• Hopeisforsissies says:

For seven seasons, I adored “House.” But last season’s dreadful finale and the pointless trashing of the House/Cuddy relationship left a sour taste in my mouth.

Now the snoozy bromance, the advent of Foreman as dean, the Taub twins, and those buzz-free new characters with the horrible chalkboard voices are sounding the death knell for a once-great show.

I hope Hugh Laurie can be released from this wreck soon to get back to his music and his writing.

18. Se8 says:

House – Transplant – was a great episode. It reminded me of Se 1 & 2. Pity for those who missed it.

19. Katrina says:

I am sure House ratings will do better next week but based on ratings from Premiere, it is a far cry from where it was in the beginning years. It will always be better than average because you have Hugh Laurie. Whether you are a Cuddy fan or not, House is showing it’s age and the character is not much of a mystery anymore or as shocking. Sad but true.

20. carol says:

I am a diehard fan who has watched House without fail since the premiere eight years ago. The show is certainly showing the tremendous strains and cracks as it tries desperately to “get back to basics” without the essential elements of that brilliant original equation. The bromance was painfully predictable and oh-so-cutesy without bringing any new insights into the central character. Clearly, this season is going to be a long slow slog downhill.

It was not difficult to locate Monday’s House broadcast since it came right after Terra Nova as advertised. (The baseball game was absolutely terrific and a welcome shot of real life drama in prime time.) I watched all three Fox programs without a hitch.

I don’t understand why House fans could not locate the show and only 6.7 million tuned in, which is pretty wretched. And why did so few in the desired demo watch it? On Sunday evening, football royally messed up the CBS schedule, and yet more than 10 million were able to find The Good Wife. House has become a puzzle worthy of Sherlock Holmes: “The Case of the Missing Buzz.”

• Nony says:

I managed to find The Good Wife on Sunday night because I was home to do so, but Monday night I was relying on the DVR to catch my shows, and it’s just not as smart as I need it to be, lol.

I got exactly 10 minutes of House. Contrary to Matt’s info, neither Terra Nova nor House were available on my VOD. Fox has that nasty contract with Dish Network and doesn’t add full episode videos to their website for 8 days(!) so I resorted to “piracy” and downloaded the ep from a fileshare.

21. Shifty says:

Everyone needs to start watching Terra Nova! If another show I like gets canceled I’m going back to reading.

22. Click here! says:

5cc 4-Stroke OHV Portabhle Gas Powered Generator features
    a 79. Thhe funds that consist of your PSN Code Generator cards
    are created to allow similar product acquisitions online.
    Twitter, Facebook, My – Spce IDs- Include code with a sgare button previously mentioned it that can be connected to deliver enthusiasts to your gallery or website.