Dancing With the Stars Results: Did the Right Couple Go Home? (I'm Going With a Firm 'No')

When it comes to the big screen, you’re not always guaranteed a happy ending. And that became perfectly (and depressingly) clear when the results came in for Dancing With the Stars‘ Movie Week.

Cue up “So Long, Farwell” from The Sound of Music, or Bon Jovi’s “Blaze of Glory” from Young Guns II, or even Mary J. Blige’s “Not Gon’ Cry” from Waiting to Exhale, because Tuesday night’s results-show telecast found us saying “auf wiedersehen, goodnight” to a contestant unexpectedly shot down and fighting back the tears in the process. Here’s how it all played out:

In Jeopardy
Rob Kardashian and Cheryl Burke
Chynna Phillips and Tony Dovolani
Nancy Grace and Tristan MacManus

Last Two Under the Red Lights of Doom
(Though Not Necessarily the Bottom Two Couples)

Rob Kardashian and Cheryl Burke
Chynna Phillips and Tony Dovolani

Eliminated
Chynna Phillips and Tony Dovolani

“I’m disappointed. I’m sad. But I have to take responsibility; I messed up,” said Chynna, who completely froze and lost her steps during a Monday night tango to the Mission Impossible theme, and yet still displayed more promise over four weeks of competition than Nancy Grace, Chaz Bono, and Rob Kardashian combined. “I have an amazing partner. I love you, Tony. You’re amazing.”

Brooke Burke, in a ridiculous pink dress with little black bows, followed Chynna’s exit with a gaffe that reminded us to err is human, and to short-circuit during a teleprompter reading is downright robotic: “Our eight remaining couples will tease their hand, and slip on the spandex next Monday for ’80s week.” RoboHost 13.0: She writes jokes at her own expense!

What do you think? Did the right couple go home? If not, who should it have been? Sound off in the comments, and for all my reality TV recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Anthony Newhall says:

It’s a popularity contest. As long as Ricki wins I don’t care.

• Diz Titcher says:

ABC will lose this show as the way the scoring is set up, it is a popularity contest and the Judges are useless, the public does not care what Len, Carrie Ann or the other guys has to say, they have no vote and that’s a shame. The Judges score should be 75% of the total, that way it is a dance contest. Why should Cher get votes and that is what happened, she showed up and the public gave Chaz many votes.
      Next season they will have a hard time attracting celebrities to appear. and we will witness another potential show going down the tubes. Wake up ABC.

• Bobbi says:

Considering the way the judges are scoring and praising contestants who can’t dance, having their scores weigh more heavily into the final mix, would accomplish absolutely nothing. Have you seen the way they evaluate Chaz?

• Anna says:

By evaluate, do you mean handle him with kid gloves? I’ve seen the judges go much harder on those with legitimate injuries or disabilities; or who were much older (sorry Chaz, 42 is not old; it’s the same age as about half of those still dancing).

They totally fawn over him for actually moving instead of letting Lacey do everything.

• Sonny Miller says:

Chaz Bono,..?????? Are you kidding me ???? Why in the World would ABC bring him on the show in the first place ? Aside from being vastly overweight,..this kid just can’t dance. His “Mommy” appearing on the show for a “boost” is an embarrassment ! ABC should “wake up” and get real for a change.

• Reba says:

I disagree. Chaz has done well, and I have watched him/her try their best to dance a grest routine. Cher had nothing to do with it. She just happened to be their to watch, and support Chaz’ compete. Looks like Chaz may have even lost a little weight.
        NO, I AM NOT in favor of trangenderism, but that doesn’t mean I can’t give praise where praise is due. Chaz has done great.

• Anna says:

No, Chaz has NOT done well; the only reason he tried this week is because his mother was watching.

I have no problem with transgenderism, and wonder how Isis King or Alexis Arquette would have done in Chaz’ place.

• Noelbelle says:

OOOOHHHH….If this show had Alexis Arquette on, I might start watching again. Just imagining that in my head makes me giggle. Definitely the most entertaining Arquette.

• Terrie says:

I totally agree! Chaz should have been gone week 1. I think Chynna is a wonderful dancer!!!

• Castle says:

Don’t count on it not being the gay movement voting for Chaz, and Why is Hope not being sent home she looked like a hoofed Jessie, she did not use ONE heal lead! She is manish in her movements besides her fan base are cyber bully fans and she is a ‘con’ women.

• diane says:

you obviously dont know what you are talking about…hope did great and gets better each week. personally, she is my favorite and correct me if im wrong, but i do believe the judges said she could go all the way.

• Kathy says:

You do realize Chaz isn’t gay right? Chaz is not the best dancer but is improving. The way you handle yourself under pressure and yes a complete screw up says a lot for me. Chyna suffered from how she handled forgetting almost the ENTIRE dance. Period.Not saying she wasn’t better overall than half the cast just making a point. It bothers me way more that they ALWAYS give Derek the best dancer. That is way worse than Chaz getting votes for whatever reason. David and Nancy are still there as well and were not better than Chyna either. To me I don’t care who goes out up until the top 5…the cream almost always rises to the top. Just like last week, Mark’s partner was not as great as the scores and praise she received either; didn’t bother me at all to see her go.

• Castle says:

Kirstin and Chynna should both be in the competition. Hope and Chaz should be gone

• Erin says:

ABC isn’t losing anything… DWTS is the #1 rated show on television right now and they’re reaping the rewards with advertisers. People may not be happy about the votes, but that almost HELPS ABC, rather than hurting them. DWTS is dominant in ratings and that’s all that really matters, as far as a network is concerned. Given that few of the people on this show are ever true current celebrities, except maybe the athletes, they will have absolutely no problem attracting people like Chynna, Chaz, and Nancy Grace in the future. Their ratings improve every week. They’re not going to change a thing. It’s also not like this is the first season with elimination controversies. Keep in mind that Sabrina Bryan didn’t make the finals of her season. Also keep in mind that Bristol Palin made it way further than her abilities warranted. Are you a new watcher or something? Or do you jsut know nothing about TV?

• chris says:

I agree, they need to have the Judges eliminate the dancers and and eliminate call in votes. It is a disaster when people call in a vote for the POPULAR person even when they clearly don’t have a dancing bone in there body.

• lou_done says:

I agree completely; pehaps the show should be “Dancing with “Media” celebrity who has the biggest social axe to grind”. There is NO WAY that Bono, Carson, or Rob should be in this mix. None can dance! I agree that the judges should carry the heavier piece of the voting. I am not sure that I would agree with them, but at least it would have some semblance of fairness. Our house is on the verge of not watching. There is no credibility or integrity in what is happening.

• You are absolutely right ! ABC’s voting process has alway’s been screwed up,..right from the start. I (and everyone I know who watches this show) thought that voting was supposed to be based upon the quality of the dance,…”not” upon popularity, Cher’s Son (or whatever). On top of all that,..we have this Cari Ann Inaba who has an obsession with “the lift”. Len and Bruno never mention it,..only Cari Ann. As long as we have a voting process based upon Popularity and not dancing,…..the right winner will alway’s be in jeopardy !
        A case in point,..just look at a while back,..Johnson won over Gilles. It was obvious to everyone that the Gymnast was not the winner. Gilles was the real dancer.

• Jolene Bacon says:

Popularity versus skill and talent. This show is a joke. Why have judges if their expertise means nothing in determining who stays and who goes home. I am very disappointed. I will not be watching anymore.

• Surrey says:

I’m not watching this show anymore! I’m so sick of the real dancers going home. People are suppose to vote for the best dancer not keep someone on the show for a cause!

2. Patty Smith says:

It’s a shame she went home. She is a beautiful dancer who was just developing. Chaz should have gone home, or Rob. They are my least favorite to watch.

3. edda says:

Time for Chazz Bono to go HOME…his presence is an embarrassment now. He tries hard but you can’t say that he deserves to be there the last 2 weeks.

4. zenstella says:

Chynna was one of my favorites – graceful and lovely with great dancing potential!! The fact that her partner was lowered from the ceiling for the “Mission Impossible” theme itself should have saved them tonight!!
    Nancy Grace should have gone tonight – she’s had a good ride and we shouldn’t have to be subjected to her talk about how great her dancing is anymore!!

5. Heather says:

While I agree that Brooke’s dress wasn’t quite up to par, she did tweet that she was wearing pink for Breast Cancer Awareness. So I give her props for that.
    As for Chynna being the one to go home, that was ridiculous. She was definitely one of the top dancers in the competition.

6. Mariana says:

What are the odds that the teleprompter dude channeled Anchorman and typed “hand” just to see if she’d actually say it?

7. Lorie says:

What a shame! She was alot better than Rob, Chaz and Nancy. Initially, I thought Tony finally had a serious shot to win.
    I kept waiting for that great dance from her, but IMO, fear kept getting in the way.

8. boss says:

Time for Nancy to go home. Then maybe she will have news on her show again instead of this drivel.

9. Meg says:

Chaz, Carson, or Nancy should have gone home. Chynna had one bad week, while the other three have had 4 bad weeks. I may just fast forward through their performances.

• Lyn says:

I agree. This has become a popularity contest, not a dance competition. I like the fact that people like Carson and Chaz, who aren’t great dancers (understatement) have a chance to compete and grow, but it is clear that their popularity as public figures is keeping them on the show – not their dancing. Ditto with Nancy Grace and Rob K.

10. Amber says:

That sucks. This makes me think the finals won’t be very good. Who’s next to get booted, J.R.? If that happens, I will wish Ricki Lake well and will be done watching this season. I am really shocked the DWTS audience wouldn’t vote for her, she was really good, she’s decently known, she seems like a nice person, and one thing the audience loves to vote for is when someone has a bad week. Seriously, this is the first time I’ve ever seen anyone actually get voted off after one bad week. Usually the sympathy votes keep them in. Is ABC’s voting system just really screwed up and giving votes to the wrong people? Do they even count the votes at all or is it some fake showing to placate the audience? I’ve guessed before that the main core of the DWTS audience is pretty conservative, but do that many people really want to see the lumbering Nancy Grace-less over the graceful Chynna Phillips? Ugh, I gotta go be depressed now.

11. Diana says:

My heart just breaks for Chynna==she spoke of her anxiety issues in

the beginning and by the way Tony was talking to her to calm her down

12. Diana says:

Chynna was a much better dancer than Hope. Hope did better last nite. I think len is saying she is not committed enuff to annoy people to vote for her more Lord help us with her no personality and poor dancing I will bet money she will be in the finals. They overscore her and underscore JR who is the best dancer on the show and deserves to win!

13. Donna says:

Time for Hope to go home. She obviously doesn’t want to be there, her attitude sucks, and Maks is looking more miserable than I’ve ever seen him.

• Spencer says:

I LOVE THIS COMMENT. THIS. IS. THE TRUTH.

• Cash says:

Her attitude is one of the nastiest things I’ve seen in a long time. I remember a comment she made at the World Cup finals, in which she bitched about her team constantly being compared to the previous US team that made it to the finals (Mia Ham’s team). As sad as I was to see them lose to Japan, it was very satisfying to say to myself, “Well Hope, after getting your ass handed to you like that, NO ONE is going to be comparing you to Mia Ham anymore.”

• Ashley says:

She was tired of being compared because in her eyes and the rest of the teams’, you can’t compare the 2. If this team played the competition from ’99, they would win every game by an unreal margin.

• reba says:

I agree…Hope is a nope..Go home Hope!

• Yo says:

I don’t know much about Hope except that she is a little earnest for television. She takes herself most seriously; these shows are better for those lighten up a little.

14. nitemar says:

Wake me up when Chaz sets foot out the door, please.

15. NoreenR says:

Did you catch Brooke Burke call Unchained Melody Enchanted Melody? Also, they were all over Julianne Hough that they forgot to thank Blake Shelton, who just sort of stood there.

• Kim R says:

I noticed them forget Blake as well. He was a good sport about it though…attempting his moonwalk as they went to commercial. I totally loved the Footloose segment. The original came out when I was a teenager and worked at our local theater. I saw it many times. It was nice seeing Julianne.
      As far as who went home….Chynna had 1 really bad night & out she goes? Not quite fair but as in all of these types of programs when the viewers get to vote, it is just the way it is. We are a fickle bunch. :)

16. DWTS fan says:

Chynna shouldn’t have gone home but as I was voting I just didn’t feel like giving her any votes last night. Guess I wasn’t alone.

Fan base is more what it’s about than quality dancing. If you really want to see the best dancers stay, the rules need to be changed.

1) one vote per phone, one vote per email address. That way if you want a Chynna to stay, you’ll vote for her.
    2) give the judges scores more weight. If we got (1) they might be more honest with their scoring.

• Eurydice says:

I don’t see how limiting the votes would change anything – you didn’t want to give Chynna even one vote. As for the judges, if they had been honest about Chynna’s score they would have marked her down even more – she didn’t do any of her dance.

• Charlotte says:

I think the judges’ high scores may have caused a backlash, resulting in the viewing audience perhaps withholding their votes in protest. How can you give a dancer a “7” if she hasn’t danced?!

• Reba says:

I agree with with your plan. I vote per e-mail or phone addy. The judges seem to be there ONLY to perform more than the contestant.
      I have a feeling this will be the last season with DWTS. Its really getting old now

17. topsyturvy says:

Rob K has more fans than Chynna?!??!? What a world, what a world!

• dan says:

Seriously! I thought for sure that Rob was out when he was in the “jeopardy” three. Guess voters just couldn’t support Chynna’s complete failure of a dance. And why all the hate for Nancy Grace? I thought her dance Monday night was decent and better than several others (I’m looking at you Chynna, Rob, Carson, David, Chaz and even Hope who is dull as dishwater). Nancy certainly isn’t in the top tier of dancers, but she isn’t any worse than the mid-range celebs. I can’t stand her show, but I’ll give her credit for improvement on the dance floor.

18. Cash says:

The only reason they are keeping Chaz around is to see if Cher keeps her promise, and shows up to watch in person. They did the same thing with Bristol, because famous mom’s are ratings gold, and god knows they could use the boost this season.

• duranmom says:

Cher was there on Monday night. Chaz danced his best dance of the season but not better than Chynna. Poor Tony, he really had a shot with her and seemed like he was enjoying their partnership. I think viewers are voting for what or who the contestants are associated with (Cher, the kardashians, etc.) and not on the actual dancing. I vote for who entertains me – Carson!

• chistosa says:

“They” are not keeping Chaz around, the voters are. He has consistently been at the bottom of the leader board from the judges and this week second to the bottom, only one point from the bottom. Read the other blogs. People are voting big time for him for whatever reason. I never understood why anybody ever voted for Kate Gosselin either but they did. Unless the judges votes weigh more heavily than 50%, the bad dancers with a fan base will continue to progress through the competition.

19. karen says:

first of all – i love chaz – with or without cher – and a big part of dancing is the enjoyment factor. chaz wears his heart on his sleeve and he and ricki are my two favorites. he deserves to still be here!

• judy says:

The fact that you like chaz should have noting to do with it. He/she sucks at dancing. I can’t stand Ricki Lake, but I will admit she is not doing bad. Although not nearly as good as the judges give her credit for. Derek did most of the work while she spun around a few times. Sometimes the judges are no better than the folks at home. I think Bruno is the most fair, and if I have to see Carrie Ann cry again I am going to scream.

• JoMarch says:

I’m npt sure what you were watching to say Ricki Lake “spun around a couple of times”. I think you’re letting you’re feelings blind you. The judges don’t give out 10s easily,so they must have seen what the rest of us did: Ricki did a terrific job.

20. Cathy says:

Can we all agree that Susan Boyle’s 15 minutes of fame is OVER? That was painful!

21. Gegee says:

FIRST OF ALL I AM TELLING YOU I WON’T WATCH THIS SHOW AGAIN! IT IS RIGGED AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DANCING AT ALL,BUT WHO YOU LIKE! CHAZ SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE DAMN FIRST TO GO HOME,THEN NANCY,YET ARE THESE TWO PEOPLE GOING TO END UP WITH THE BALL BECAUSE CHER IS CHAZ’S MOTHER AND DANCING HAS EVERYONE ON HLN PUSHING FOR HER? IF SO IT IS A DIS-GRACE!

• susela says:

Please stop shouting. Thank you.

• Castle says:

ALL CAPS DOESN’T MEAN YOU ARE SHOUTING. MANY PEOPLE USE ALL CAPS TO DRAW ATTENTION TO CERTAIN WORDS! OLD THINKING!

• Jaded says:

“Many people use all caps to draw attention to CERTAIN words” This isn’t really the case when one’s ENTIRE post is in caps.

• Reba says:

HELLOOOO….Do you not understand that these contestants are LEARNING how to dance?? The big picture is.. the improvement seen in each contestants performance each week. Some of past contestants have have dancing lessons/experience at some time in their past. Nancy and Chaz hasn’t. Why should they leave since their improving every week? It clear that they’re improving.
      BTW..Carson is a riot:)

22. nmurphy says:

ohhh boo hoo..See ya Chynna. Can’t wait for Ricki to be voted off.

23. Marty says:

The Bristol Pallin effect lives on.

The contest is not based on ability, but popularity. The past few seasons demostrate that the less talented dancers survive.

Additionally, ABC has stretched the definition of a star.

24. Eurydice says:

I don’t have a problem with Chynna going home. Every season there’s a whole bunch of contestants who don’t really have a chance to reach the finals – how far they get depends on their personality and how much fun to watch they might be for another week. Chynna is pretty, but she’s bland, low-energy and kind of generic. The only way to overcome that is to dance really well and she just didn’t do it.

25. Barb says:

Get rid of Nancy!!! She loves herself soooo much and screwed up big time this week, she is so heavy her partner could not hold her up!!! I also agree …what is all the crying with Carrie Ann??? Make the scores 50/50. The judges score worth 50% and 50% from audience. I enjoy watching Rob K because he has had no experience and this is what the show should be like. I love watching Carson.

26. sharon says:

I feel that Chynna had a great deal of potential and that Tony, who is amazing, had a real shot at the finals, however this show is about your fan base and her’s didn’t back her up.If you are “water cooler talk” you seem to overstay your welcome….as was evidenced by so many in the past, Jerry Springer being an excellent example of that. Hopefully in the end the best dancer, which presently looks like Ricky Lake (who knew)will win all the marbles…….

27. chris says:

The show is becoming a joke. THIS IS DANCING SHOW, not a POPULAR PERSON SHOW. America needs to wake up and vote for the person that can dance. I also don’t see Chaz as a star, her parents are not her. Big deal she wrote a book, I did not know you became a star writing a book. In that case, everyone in the world is a star now.

28. Bren says:

Are you people serious? Do you watch these reality/competition shows? Anytime the public is involved in voting it becomes a popularity contest. This is nothing new. If the public wasn’t involved in the outcome, no one would watch. I don’t care what three blow-hard former dancers think. All three of them take it way too seriously….oh wait, seems like some of you do too. It’s just a dancing show with d-list celebrities…..it’s an entertainment show. It’s fun and entertaining. I don’t care who leaves, who loses, who wins. I just enjoy it for what it is – a television show meant to entertain.

29. Sam says:

Hmmmm, after reading some of the comments, I am “hoping” Ms. Solo’s soccer fanbase and our lovely Mak’s fanbase get together and hand them that ugly mirrorball trophy. Really…Hope’s dancing is just fine. Improving every week. I am sorry to say goodbye to Chynna and Tony. Lovely to watch even with the hiccup Monday night. There are some others I could do without…but NOT CARSON! He’s fun.

30. ohbabs says:

maybe it comes down to “who do you want to see dance next”. My guess the tv viewing audience is not overwhelmingly ballroom dance aficionados. we just want to be entertained and we have our favorites based on other reasons besides dance ability. i agree chynna was a good dancer, but kind of boring. Ricki Lake is so good because she has derek as a partner. I am not alone when i say i can’t wait to watch that piece of eye candy on the dance floor, derek that is.

31. nikkiqm says:

Hate to say it but a lot of you posting comments are really ignorant. Complaining that DWTS is a popularity contest … well duh. It has been from the beginning that tends to happen when its left up to people’s votes. The same for American Idol. The best don’t always necessarily win. Just watch the show for what it is … mindless entertainment.

32. Helen says:

I haven’t watched this show for several years because of the way voting has been going its not the good dancers staying but the ones that shouldn’t be there are. I am disgusted with the judges falling over the bad dancers and are always picking on the good ones. Its time that the show changes the way the judging is done also getting some new judges and bring the show back to the way it was until then I will not be watching and i am sure many others won’t either.

33. defiant says:

I am not a big fan of the show. I watch bits and pieces of it. The most fun I have from it is watching with the sound muted, and seeing the guys dust the floors, and toss the ladies about as they wear their well crafted costumes. I do pick some ‘favorites’, but don’t really care who wins, or goes.

34. Sunny says:

I find it humorous that Carson is getting off scott free from all the hatred that is being thrown Nancy, Hope and Chaz’s way because he is “fun” to watch! Carson cannot dance!! So if your beef with the show is that the aren’t getting rid of the bad dancers, but you still are supporting Carson and aren’t rallying for him to leave…then I guess the word of the day should be hypocrite!

Chynna should NOT have left…there were much worse dancers than her, even with her obvious faux pas this week. But it is a popularity contest for many. I won’t vote for someone who I hate, great dancr or not. But I also won’t vote for someone I love if they clearly have not just 2, but 4 left feet!!

JR has my vote…I like him and he can dance. I don’t mind Ricki and she clearly is doing well, so if she won, I wouldn’t cry in my beer, either.

35. Ronnie says:

There’s just a lot of hate on the prettier female dancers this season. I think that “Vote for the Worst” crew has been working overtime to mess with the results.

36. LeSo says:

Brooke ruined the whole night for me when she said that Susan Boyle was singing “Enchanted Melody.” She botched the title of a timeless classic. That was shameful!

37. M~ says:

I feel as badly for Tony as I do anyone else! DWTS continually pairs him with women not capable of going very far! He was thrilled; he finally felt he had a real chance of winning! Next time, Tony!!!!

• The8treGirl says:

So completely agree.

Tony Dovolani has such class – he’s great with dancers who need lots of extra support and guidance mentally as well as physically, but next season, he really needs to be paired with someone who a) is under 40, b) has a strong mind AND body, and c) matches up with him cosmetically as well as Chynna did. I mean, weren’t they the best looking couple on the floor???

38. The8treGirl says:

This show MUST re-consider how the voting and judging are done. Yes, there has to be some audience input, but really – Chaz is still dancing? Nancy is still dancing? I’ve seen rock formations move with more grace and BEHAVE (ahem, Nancy) with more grace than those two.

Actually, not only am I so bored by most of the competitors this season – but also by much of the choreography!!! Derek is still bringing his A game, and I think Maks would be too if Hope just loosened up a little. But officially, as of last Monday, I watch four competitors on line only – JR (who I hope makes it to the top three), Rikki, Hope and Chynna. Now… I’ll just be watching three. And only on line. I don’t have two hours to spend watching dreck and laziness.

39. Jane says:

JR will win and Ricki will come in 2nd. Everyone else is just fighting for 3rd place, and right now, it seems that place will likely go to Hope or Chaz.

40. unknown says:

i didn’t care chynna being eliminated, she was not going to win anyway. Completely off topic, Chaz, Nancy, and Carson sucked.

41. ed says:

no the right people did NOT go home. If they had christi and bristol wouldn’t be there next weel. let’s make it about dancing. my husband already gave up on the show because of that. You will haae a hard time making peop[le beleive that someone is actually voting for either one of them. I like them both, but that doesn’t make either of them. a dancer. who is voting for them? everyone I ‘ talk to ask the same questions.