Exclusive

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Glee, New Girl, Gossip Girl, Vamp Diaries, CSI, Castle, Bones and More!

Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Just want to say hi? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: Is Glee going the Shelby/Puck route? Suspicions were elevated when Fox released that “Pot o’ Gold” promo. —Lulu
Ausiello: I’ll say this: At the end of the next original episode on Nov. 1, there is a very bold interaction between the two. Very bold.

Question: I was wondering if you can give any insight into what is going to be happening with Mercedes on Glee now that she’s the only person not in New Directions? —Mik
Ausiello: She won’t be the only one for long. Santana will soon join Mercedes in Shelby’s rival choir group. And more will follow.

Question: Does Thirteen really leave House? If so, when? —Tamar
Ausiello: Next Monday’s episode is Olivia Wilde’s swan song. Of course, if this turns out to be House‘s last season, I have to imagine she’ll put in another appearance in or around the series finale.

Question: I’m looking for intel on Dr. House’s green card-seeking wife from last season. Will she reappear this season? If not, will there be any mention of their marriage? Did they divorce while he was in jail? I need to know if my (imaginary) boyfriend is officially back on the market! —Wendy
Ausiello: Unless producers revisit the plot later in the season, I think it’s safe to assume the marriage of convenience storyline has been dropped. Translation: He’s all yours, Wendy!

Question: Holy Schmidt, Ausiello! I am in need of some New Girl scoop, especially since we won’t be getting any new episodes ’til Nov. 1. —Paige
Ausiello: The Fox smash is casting the role of a female OB/GYN, but relax, Jess isn’t preggers. Sadie is Jess’ smart and slightly intimidating lesbian doctor friend who offers an ailing (and health insurance-less) Nick an unofficial diagnosis. And some free Pamprin.

Question: Any scoop on Bones? —Mahika
Ausiello: I’m a little behind on my Bones screeners — in case you didn’t hear, I visited the Smurfs’ homeland last week — but TVLine’s Matt Mitovich just watched Episode 2 and filed this report exclusively to AA:

“As much fun as the season opener is, I have to say that Episode 2 is even better. For one, the case of the week is much stronger and more compelling (and much more icky-gooey). Plus, you’ve got the addition of Luke Kleintank as Finn Abernathy, a good ol’ boy squintern whose scientific brilliance — a seeming clash with his omnipresent baseball cap and shaggy hair — drops even Brennan’s jaw, and who proves to be a very fun foil for Hodgins. Then, add on top of that even more sweet moments between Bones and Booth? Simply said, this pregnancy twist is the best thing to happen to the show in recent years. What we’re looking at is perhaps Bones at its very best. Oh, and did I mention the part where Temp discovers that years ago she helped prevent a murder? Cool stuff.”

Question: From the Castle promo pics that were released last week, we see that Beckett isn’t exactly happy about guest star Kristin Lehman’s character hanging around with Castle next week. Tell us, exactly how jealous will Beckett be? —Ivy
Ausiello: So jealous that she ends up alluding to it during her therapy session. While we’re on the subject of next Monday’s episode, here’s a little casting tidbit: 24‘s David Hunt (a.k.a. Patricia Heaton’s hubby) guest stars in the episode as a major player in the art world.

Question: Anything else you can share about this week’s Vampire Diaries? It looks epic. —Brad
Ausiello: Klaus compels Stefan to completely shut off his emotions, thus paving the way for him to become an official baddie. That’s one of, like, four big twists in the episode, so fasten your seat belts.

Question: I wonder if you have any news on The Secret Circle, Glee, The Vampire Diaries or Nikita? —Luana
Ausiello: Eenie, meenie, miney… Vampire Diaries! Look for Matt’s issues with the supernatural world to come to a head in Episode 5, per exec producer Julie Plec. “It’s set the weekend before senior year begins and it’s senior prank night,” she previews. “And of course, things go horribly wrong. For Matt, specifically, it’s kind of bittersweet because there’s a sense of the life he’s lost over the two seasons of our show and it’s really hurting him. We get to explore that in a beautiful and tragic way.” Plec also confirms that “Matt’s gotta get laid this year. He just needs that. He needs love.”

Question: All of the Gossip Girl questions of late seem to pertain to Blair’s pregnancy, Chuck and Blair, Dan and Blair, Louis and Blair, Blair’s marriage… I’m dying to know something about Serena and “cousin” Charlie! —Gabriel
Ausiello: We haven’t seen the last of Charlie’s So Cal-based BF Max (plated by Brian J. Smith). Rumor has it he’ll resurface in a big way during November sweeps.

Question: Any spoiler about Chuck and Blair on Gossip Girl? —Sandra
Ausiello: Blair’s influence will start rubbing off on her future husband. Word around the UES is that Prince Louis will go to extremely sneaky lengths to ensure that Chuck stays out of his bride’s life.

Question: It’s kinda been a while since you’ve posted some CSI scoop. What’s the latest with the mothership series? —Lee
Ausiello: I have a feeling the teasers I have on tap pertain to the story that will give Marg Helgenberger her big sendoff. In an upcoming episode, Catherine reconnects with an old friend, Laura, who comes off sunny side up but underneath is scared to death — perhaps of her husband, John? He certainly sounds scary. A powerful bazillionaire whose company may or may not have been involved in an arms robbery. (That’s arms robbery, you’ll note, not armed.) I’m scared. Anyway, whether or not Richie Rich is guilty, something bad goes down, because before you know it, there’s a hot FBI guy in town working a big case — and sleeping with Catherine! The show wants star power in all these roles, plus that of the G-man’s sidekick. So whether this is the end of Catherine, it’s for sure the beginning of something big.

Question: Any Community scoop? —Jesse
Ausiello: Angelina Jolie, Will Smith, Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz, James Gandolfini, Joe Pantaliano, Joey Lawrence and Matt Damon are all guest-starring in Episode 10. Or rather, actors playing their impersonators will be. The look-alike shenanigans surround the Hollywood-themed Bar Mitzvah of a boy named Emmy — making it Emmy’s Emmy party. I can only imagine how the Greendale gang gets roped into this hot mess of an event.

Question: I need some Season 2 Shameless scoop! It’s been too long! —Kaitlyn
Ausiello:  The show returns in January and I think Ian may be getting a new and (no surprise here) much older BF. The show is looking for a mid-50s Caucasian actor to play a married family man who’s leading a secret gay life. The role requires nudity and a fair amount of same-sex smooching.

Question: I’m totally hooked on The Secret Circle! Would you happen to have any scoop? —Lucyanne
Ausiello: Britt Robertson says the show’s Halloween episode will be chock full of tricks and treats. “When you have witches and Halloween, it can be fun to make fun of certain things,” she says. “What I love about what Kevin [Williamson] and Andrew [Miller] did is they weren’t trying to ignore the fact that we’re witches on Halloween. … We play with a lot of different, funny things. And one of our directors, Liz [Friedlander], who is a big part of our show, was saying, ‘The great thing about Halloween is that scary things can happen in the middle of the night and there’s people roaming the streets. You can scream [but] nobody really takes notice to it.’ So that’s kind of the fun element that we get to play with a lot.”

Question: I love Blair Brown on Fringe. Where the heck is Nina Sharp? —Tamden
Ausiello: She’s back this Friday, and she’s bringing a plot twist with her. According to Anna Torv, in this new reality sans Peter, Nina plays a surprising role in Olivia’s life. “There’s some interesting stuff coming up in the next episode with that,” she hints.

Question: How I Met Your Mother scooplet, please? —Jaime
Ausiello: The mother… of all hurricanes will send the gang fleeing from New York during November sweeps. Cue the inevitable Hurricane Irene is the Mother!!!! speculation.

Question: Any scoop on the new season of Southland? —Paul
Ausiello: A new man will enter Lydia’s life in Season 4, but it’s strictly professional. I think. The show is casting the role of Ruben, a strong, soulful and reflective ex-Marine who becomes Lydia’s detective trainee. He’s also a husband and father to three young kids so don’t go getting any ideas. Actually, this is Lydia we’re talking about, so go ahead. Get some ideas.

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments, and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. Also, you can keep track of my scoops on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello. Thanks for playing! (Additional reporting by Vlada Gelman and Meg Masters)

1. Sarah says:

Puck and Shelby kissing is going to make me vomit. If they actually have some legitimate romance, I’m going to be even more disgusted.

• AGREED says:

Clearly, Glee is running out of ideas.

• Lily says:

Looking forward to Glee Project’s Sam entering the Glee universe !! When, oh when ? Well, at least there is Damian in episode 4.

• Karen says:

As a casual Glee viewer. It seems when I do tune in I feel like they have recycled a story. How many times are they going to have someone leave the Glee club only to return a few episodes later? Boring and lazy.

• Saz says:

The build-up to the ‘back to basics’ season has been another misdirection from the exec producers. Finn was such a huge part of the first season and the best parts of season 3 and there is no spoiler mention for him for ep4…again.

We are left with anh even creepier Mr.Shu, the pairing of Kurt and Rachel which feels forced and while I applaud the gay storylines, Blaine has just taken over and has all the solos and now the frankly ridiculous Shelby/Puck storyline. Even for the over-hyped Asian F there was another drop in viewers and I think this could all be over by the end of season 3 which makes me sad because I loved this show.

• Sara says:

No!!!! Are they trying to make this the show’s final season with as many offensive plots as they can muster? It was always a little riske but now we have had a poll dancing ‘girls’ rally, a frankly racist Mercedes storyline harking back to the ‘black people don’t try hard enough’ idea, talk of OCD women’s ‘purity’ being taken, an adoption SL that is plain wrong and now a supposedly 16 year old in a kiss with a teacher.

At least we could put unicorns, ginger supremicists down to writers assuming we are complete morons. I loved the more subtle boundary pushing of the first season but this is really trying my patience. And all that and my fav characters Finn and Santana have been pushed to the background as I suffer through frankly hammy Rachel-Kurt interactions. It is so disappointing that a show so many of us invested in just treats its audience as idiots and decides the only message to be handled with care is the anti-homophobia one (which I support). It is not about making things boring, just close enough to reality not to feel as there was some big joke in the writers room at our expense.

• Taylor says:

Well, Puck’s a senior, so he has to be 17-18. Plus, they dis mention his fling with MILFs in season 1. It really shouldn’t be that big of a shock.

• Jayne says:

@Sara

“Racist Mercedes Storyline”?

I’m sorry, I must’ve missed that episode. I plainly remember episodes in which she was a diva who put very little effort into the group as opposed to her fellow glee club-ers – I don’t, however, remember the fact that she’s black being brought into it at all.

“Talk of an OCD women’s ‘purity’ being taken”?

There has been an OCD storyline, and, speaking as an actual sufferer, I can honestly say I haven’t found it offensive in the slightest. In fact, I was thoroughly impressed with Jayma Mays in that episode. In particular, I found the parents interesting. The ginger supremacist part aside, I think it was an interesting look into the parents of sufferers because not all of them are very supportive of it, and people did try cruel tactics like forcing sufferers to go against their urges not so long ago. I’m sure it still happens in some households. I’m also glad that Emma has a relapse because, I, in the least, certainly don’t know anyone who suffers with OCD and is, for want of a better word, recovering who hasn’t had a few relapses during said recovery. I thought that made the storyline seem far more realistic than it would have if Emma had continued with a seemingly effortless recovery.
        (Also, just fyi, “women’s” is incorrect)

Teacher-student relationships really aren’t as rare as you’d think, and they are an issue of great controversy – some people actually are for (although, personally, I disagree) and are against the fact that, in the UK at least, a teacher can go to prison for that whether the student is of age or not. I’m not saying I’m thrilled that Glee is going into that topic, but I’m going to at least watch the episode before I criticise the storyline. Also, as someone previously stated, he’s not 16, he’s either 17 or 18 (not that that changes the fact that he’s still a student), and it was mentioned often in season 1 that he slept with women far older than himself – and that was when he WAS 16, so, really, the only new factor here is that the woman happens to be a teacher.

And, finally, you are kidding right? Seeing as you read this article, I’m going to go ahead and presume that you read spoilers. So, surely you’ve heard that Santana and Brittany will soon be officially together, and Finn and Santana will also have some very interesting scenes related to her sexuality – at least, that’s what I’ve read. There are also a lot of rumours going round that Rachel may just sleep with Finn for the first time soon, although it hasn’t been confirmed. Regardless, I doubt Finn and Rachel will be short on material for long.

Wow, long comment. Apologies.

• Sara says:

My post made no mention of spoilers and it is a fact that in the first three episodes of the season Finn and Santana have been bit players which is odd when they were such main cast members in season 2.

I have no problem with the portrayal of a woman with OCD (in the first season this was said to have been triggered by her BROTHER’S actions). But in the first episodes references have been made to Will’s sexual frustration and with this article’s headline about ‘purity’ I dislike yet again Glee’s portrayal of women as problems for men rather than as individuals overcoming issues.

Re Mercedes, Diva behaviour in the past yes, but laziness? when did she not put in the effort? Racism isn’t usually overt. Glee may be PC when it comes to homophobia but rather lacking on other issues. Brittany’s girls rally in which she dresses like a schoolgirl fetish doll didn’t strike me as on the money.

As for watching before I judge. That is just the issue. After these past three episodes which feel nothing like the first two seasons, I have even deleted Glee from my DVR.

• wicked says:

It *was* time that Puck gets it on with someone his own age…

• Santana says:

I really really hope that doesn’t happen. If they had some sort of romance I would probably stop watching this show right now instead of at the end of the season. Because that’s just gross.

2. Ali Pappas says:

PLEASE tell me Blair is just lying to protect her relationship with Prince Louis and it’s actually Chuck’s baby! I will die if they don’t end up happily ever after some day!

• Liz says:

I couldn’t agree more!! I love Chuck and Blair! Louis is SUCH a wienie!

• Asha says:

Agreed!!! BUT only if Chuck is really going to grow up this time. I’m so sick of the writers giving him one step forward and ten steps back. I wish they would let a character actually show personal growth for once!

• Angela says:

Better late than never but I agree. They need to give Chuck some growth before reuniting them. But it looks good this season.

• O'Brien says:

I posit at this point that the general avoidance of giving actual Chuck/Blair spoilers means one of two things:
      1. There are none to give. Which can’t be true, because…I mean, y’all. This show is built on Chuck/Blair.
      2. That’s Chuck’s baby, and when this thing goes down, it’s going to get REAL, and nobody’s allowed to say anything about it yet. #trufax

• Jessica says:

I so think Blair lied and its Chuck’s baby. Can’t wait for Ivy to be outed and the drama to ensue from Dan’s book. I love Connor paolo on revenge but I miss him as Eric on GG.

3. alice says:

Puck/Shelby… so there’s not going to be Quick anymore?? and how weird is it going to be for Rachel.. she dated him.. and Quinn.. after all they have a child together… what is going on… at this point I hope those are just rumors. cuz if he hook up with Shelby I wouldnt like to see Quinn and Puck as a couple ever again.

4. Sandra says:

Poor Louis. Chuck will pawn you! lol!

• Ardnas says:

He’ll pawn him? At a pawn shop? Is that a spoiler or just speculation? How much money do you think he’ll get?

• 8daysaweek says:

This. As we’ve seen only Blair can keep up with Chuck when it comes to scheming. If the two of them gave a child together, world domination pretty much has to be in the kid’s future.
      Although I’m looking forward to seeing Louis get his hands dirty. He comes off a bit too perfect – sometimes I think he must be a serial killer on the side (the creepy kind, not the Dexter kind).

• O'Brien says:

Yes, yes, yes…ALL OF THIS. That child would rule continents by age 10. He or She (and how much would you love to think of Chuck Bass dealing with some gorgeous, calculated daughter who would give him such hell) would have enough money to build a rocket ship, so universal domination wouldn’t be far off.

And let’s please make Louis something more than so freaking nice. I read at EW that there’s an epic Louis/Chuck scene on the way – I cannot wait!

• Anonymous says:

I think any spawn of Chuck and Blair would be a mastermind from its own Bond movie 20 years from now.

5. Wendy says:

Much thanks for the Bones scoop on episode 2, Aus (and Matt!). Sounds great!

6. Emily says:

Uh oh. I don’t like Prince Louis being sneaky, but I love that he sees Chuck as a threat. As he should. True love forever.

7. Wendy says:

Thanks, Mike for giving me what I have always wanted…the Doctor is all mine! I hope you let Hugh know too.

8. AmeliaCambias says:

If Puck and Shelby get together that is disgusting she is a teacher therefore in a position of authority. Are the Glee writers deliberately sabotaging the show?

9. Shane says:

Please do not go the Shelby/Puck route, it is so wrong on so many levels. I will lose even more respect for Shelby is she dates her daughter’s and mother of her child’s ex. Gross me out. I knew Santana was leaving, don’t really care, even though I love her character. More are leaving ND?! Hopefully, it won’t be Kurt, it may be Blaine. Tina and Mike are team players, Finn won’t go any where without Rachel, Brittany seems loyal but may follow Santana. I feel like I’m forgetting someone? But anywho. I hate the reasons why Mercedes and Santana joined Shelby’s club, in the promo for 3×04 (Pot O’ Gold) Mercedes convinces Santana to join because they would get all the solo’s, that’s so selfish. Didn’t Santana get to lead Sectionals last year? Mercedes has the most songs after Rachel. I don’t get all the selfishness. Its a shame that after 3 years ND is more distant that ever. Thanks big black girl.

• Sam says:

Blaine’s not going anywhere if Kurt’s not. If Kurt bails on ND, so will Blaine. Obviously, he follows him around like a freaking lost puppy *cough* transfer *cough*.

If Santana leaves, which she will, she’ll convince Brittany to come with her. I doubt she even knows the definition of loyalty. Brittany is most likely the other person moving to “Pot o’ Sugar”.

• Santana says:

I read another spoiler on another site a while ago that said that Kurt implied Kurt would be joining the other Glee club. If Kurt goes, I guess Blaine will go too.

10. Kikea says:

Where’s Damian?!!! I’m just watching the next ep, because of him!

11. Naomi says:

Kind of a weak Castle spoiler. It’s been more of a confirmation of the obvious seeing as when it was revealed her psych would be back and Castle would kiss another woman, you kinda knew for sure where that was going.

My roommate is pretty sure she’ll admit to loving him too but I’m not as hopeful.

I would like it to be to be something solid considering all we’ve got from Beckett so far is, “I remember everything.”!

• shan says:

Seriously! I’m waiting for Beckett to really open up! I’m also secretly hoping that Castle kissing the girl is only part of a plan, cover-up, or something! He’s not really making the great case for him being a man who’s ready for a relationship w/ Beckett. xD Love Castle!

• Jeff says:

Agreed – how could Castle be sooo in love with Beckett that he’s kissing on some other woman weeks after the shootout. Hopefully it’s a diversion/ruse of some kind.

• Marsha says:

I’m hoping its a ruse, or she caught him off guard. On the other hand, how much longer must castle wait? Kate lying about what she remembered at her shooting was a low point for me, so I’m a bit fed-up when she did that. Yeah, I know she’s in pain, but you can tell that Castle is still heartbroken because he felt that his confession was just left hanging. She could at least acknowlege that.

• eli says:

I wish that the kiss is only a cover or something like that… We already passed for the “Castle with another woman, Kate jelouse and angry.” thing.

12. Che says:

Awesome! I almost screamed with the Shameless scoop, such a great show, keep it coming Ausiello! Is it January already?

• Lauren says:

Agreed!!!!!!Can’t wait until Janruary!

• Marsha says:

I know that Ian is supposed to be gay, but last season I got the impression that after Ian became friends with Mandy (the girl who told her brothers that Ian insulted her), that she was developing a thing for him, then he starts to secretly have sex with her brother. But I saw chemistry there when the two of them hand out together so much so that at one point, I thought that there was a possibility that he’s bi-sexual.

13. Liz says:

Super glad I stopped watching House this season. After Huddy didn’t work out and now with Thirteen leaving it just seems silly.

And, if GG doesn’t end the Louis/Blair storyline this season, I will be annoyed. Louis needs to go away. Chair forever! :)

14. emmitwest says:

I am not afraid to ship Puck and Shelby. He does love him some older woman. And don’t forget people, Glee is pretend. Besides, when Shelby eventually has to go (and she will eventually have to go) this is a great out.

Where was the outrage for the teacher/student relationship on Pretty Little Liars?

• Monkeyrat says:

Ezra is older by 5 or 6 years max though. It’s not like Aria is doing someone her dad’s age. Besides, they don’t have a creepy family/dating history going on.

What kind of sick mind came with that idea of Puck dating his daughter’s adoptive mother and birth mother of a girl he used to date? oO

• Daisy says:

Someone who wanted to create more drama…. I think it’s unecessary but apparently someone else liked it.

I’m hoping that Shelby is just training Puck to be a good dad, he tries to seduce her but rejects him then Puck and Quinn get together live happy lives and visit their daughter regularly instead of stealing her away from Shelby :) but that probably won’t happen….

• Santana says:

Maybe Quinn put Puck up to this in order to try to make a case to get Beth back? IDK. I just hope they aren’t going to become a couple because it is so many different levels of wrong.

• James says:

I also ship Puck/Shelby, they’re both hot *shrugs*

Puckleberry are and always will be my OTP, but its not gonna happen. The Puck/Rachel ship sailed a long time ago, and, now, Puck/Shelby is the closest thing I’m ever gonna get to Puckleberry :(

And, I seriously doubt it will be a long term thing. I honestly believe that Puck and Quinn are still endgame, as much as it pains me to admit it. I also think that Shelby will play a big part in getting them together.

Anyway, its Glee, they’ll probably end up playing it for laughs, which would annoy me. It could be a really great storyline about not being able to help who you fall for. But, its a TV show, and theres nothing anyone can do about it.

Thats just my two cents, but, I’ll say it again… I AM A PUCK/SHELBY SHIPPER!!!

15. MSC says:

I think Louis knows Chuck is the father and now he’s going to go a little weird on us. As long as Chuck and Blair end together I’m good!

16. Audrey says:

Yay, HIMYM scoop! Perhaps this is in relation to the upcoming ep (9, maybe?) entitled, “Disaster Averted”. I just don’t think hurricanes are all that likely in November though. Oh well, maybe Robin will get to report on it, and hopefully it’ll lead to more Swarkles action, which is always good in my book.

17. Jay says:

Fringe is in danger of not being watched by me anymore. The new reality is not interesting & the personality changes are disgusting. The powers running the show had a good idea with an alternate timeline but the execution is blown ruining a favorite show.

• Sally says:

I’ll always be a loyal Fringe fan, but I wish they would hurry up and bring Peter back so everything can get back to normal Fringe stuff. I miss the old Walter and Olivia. However, I do love the little portalthat let’s everyone travel between the universes though =)

• guest says:

This season of Fringe has just started, episode 1 was good episode 2 was amazing, and 3 was good. I live thsi Olivia and her relationships with walter, Astrid and Lincoln, I love the interaction between the two Olivia’s and what other possibilities there are. For me the only weak part is that Peter is being brought back too quick, so there is to little time to show the new relationships therefor a lot is being explained. It would have worked better if Peter would have come back later or not at all.
      Everything was said in Walter/peter , I was tired of seeing the same scenes over and over, same goes for Olivia/peter, that ruined Olivia’s character from 3.11.
      And this time line thing has all been created so that peter can be central and different.

• guest says:

correction: I love this Olivia, and her relationships, with Walter, Astrid , Lincoln, I love her attitude, warmth, spring in her step, a bit motherly/elder sisterly taking care of people.
        And yes for Blair Brown and Anna Torv having more scenes together, great chemistry between them.
        Could Nina Sharpe have become Olivia Dunhams surrogat mother?

• Guess says:

Granted, I love a good love triangle – more lika cuadrangle at this point – between any given character from each of their respective Universesm but I’ve missed Nina Sharp and her bad reputation so I keep wondering which men from Olivia’s past did she sleep with this time around (Bell, Broyles, Walter, her father?) that she actually ended up related to her.

• Anonymous says:

I bet Nina Sharp adopted Olivia after she killed her father, only someone as devious as Mrs. Sharp would raise such a kid after the Cortexiphan trials: I can already picture her female version of Darth Vader’s “Olivia, I’m your mother”/”Nooooooo!”

• br says:

It’s amazing how taking out Peter Bishop out of the show has taken out the fun and the heart, too. I feel detached from these characters, even from Walter.

• Jeff says:

Well, isn’t that the point the writers are trying to make? That without Peter, there’s a big hole in everyone else’s life!

18. Taylor says:

Didn’t answer my question about whether or not the rumours of Nick leaving Secret Circle were true! :(

19. katrina says:

That was the weakest ask ausiello ever!

20. jr says:

I miss Lisa, but does anybody think Mira Sorvino would be good to come back to House??? She was attached to PPTH wasn’t she and she’s a shrink too, right? There were some real sparks there and the actress said she’s a fan….!!! He needs a love interest & Dr. Cate would make a good one and the story would make sense.

• Maka says:

Not to mention that Mira Sorvino is a hell of a lot better actor than Edelstein is, and Cate Milton and House had better chemistry separated by several thousand miles and an internet connection than Cuddy and House did over seven seasons. Alas, this probably will not be the case, since retaining an actress of Sorvino’s caliber would probably be pretty damn expensive.

21. Julioo says:

Im not a fan of Shuck (Shelby/Puck) but teacher/student relations is not unheard of. But still it’s kinda gross. Rachel is starting to annoy me even more now. Wtf is wrong with her? Kurt needs his own show. Like right now!

• Annoying says:

That’s funny. Kurt is getting on my last nerve. I actually hate him now. If you want to watch a non stop psa about how special you are because you are gay, and the world hates you go ahead. His storyline is making me hate the show, even though I really don’t.

• Lily says:

If you focus on the gay, then I can imagine that Kurt is not really your favorite character. But just remove the word “gay” and replace it with another word like “superiority complex” or “obnoxious” or “socially less competent” … it would still be similar… “You are special and the world hates you”…

• Santana says:

They have really driven home that his being gay is what makes him special and that it also gives him lots of free passes. And to me that’s actually sending the wrong message.

22. Isaac says:

Though a Shelby/Puck hookup would be uncomfortable, it was established in Season 1 that he liked him some cougar. Remember his pool cleaning business? Still… kinda creepy on a lot of levels, Shelby being his ex’s mom and all.

23. Paige says:

Excuse me as I got overly excited about finally getting a question of mine answered in Ask Ausiello *Excited dancing.*

Anyway, smart and intimidating docter for New Girl you say? I think Dilshad Vadsaria would be a good choice for that role, it sounds a bit Rebecca Logan-y to me.

24. SK says:

Interesting HIMYM tidbit! I wonder if there will be any real danger, or if it’ll just be an excuse for the gang to leave NY for an episode or two? I’m not sure where they’d be going, to be honest.

25. Beth says:

Hi Michael…LOVE your Ask Ausiello columns. I read them religiously! I love New Girl so far, and I’m going to miss it until it comes back in November. Thanks for the scoop on Glee, Gossip Girl, and HIMYM too. I’m worried about where Glee is going with the Shelby/Puck storyline, but hopefully it’ll play out well. I also don’t like the other glee club, especially with that girl Sugar Matta in it, but I’m sure there’s a purpose for everything, so I’ll just trust the writers for the time being. Thanks for all the scoop!

26. Jaimee says:

If Shelby/Puck get together or even kiss I will vomit and probably never watch Glee again. If the writers do something that ridiculous then they’re crazy. He dated Rachel, who is her daughter (it doesn’t matter if it was only for a little while), and she adopted his daughter. It cannot happen!

27. Dessy says:

Fringe, Nina Sharp :) Yay

28. Amy says:

love the Community scoop! Also, Glee is getting boring..

• Lily says:

What about Rory, the character of Damian (Glee Project) who will make his entrance in Glee in episode 4 ? He might add new blood to Glee…

• eli says:

I read that Damian is going to be in episode 7

• Sarah says:

Ugh. They’re bringing in new characters? They already don’t know what to do with the characters they do have.

• Mitch says:

A smart person would know they had an entire series called The Glee Project, which cast four people for appearances in Glee. Two of them get seven-episode storylines each. Glee Project has been mentioned in the Ausiello column several times.

Guess you aren’t a smart person, though.

29. Sally says:

Yay for House! Cuddy gone and now Thirteen, my dreams came true! Already oved the first two episodes a lot more than the last two seasons together, can’t wait for more!

30. Alina says:

Woww is Blair Waldorf becoming a stepford wife whose behaviours are being controlled by her jealous future husband?This is not good.Dan is saving her from her own basic insticts and now her future husband is deciding who she can be friends. Blair Waldorf the manipultaive bitch who can’t be crossed must come back. she doesn’t need to be controlled by people around her.

31. Niki_Netherlands says:

Why is nov 1 still so far away(and nov 8 even futher) But thanks for the scoop! I kinda stopt wachting bones whene Hannah cam along (I wachts intill I read that bones was going to say she loves booth and he say no or something) But now I can’t wait to wachts again! (I did wachts a lot of old episodes and the season final of season 6)

32. Alison says:

Thanks for the bones news.

33. robinepowell says:

I guess Catherine is a single lady, if she’s sleeping with the FBI. I haven’t seen/heard anything from her casual cop boyfriend, so I guess they broke it off, off camera between seasons. ;)

34. Rachel says:

Thanks for the COMMUNITY scoop!!! Sounds like a weirdly fun episode!

35. Alexandra says:

Finally!! so excited for Nina’s return. But I do wish they would give Broyles/Astrid more screen time and less for Lincoln,that guy is well…uninteresting. Peter needs to come back ASAP because I love him,he belongs with Liv and walter needs him. I feel like this Friday is what we’ve been wating for can’t wait.

• Michelle says:

I don’t see why people think it’s a contest between Lincoln and Peter. I love both of them, and they got along well in “Stowaway”. Personally I can’t wait to see them work together again.

36. Ben Kabak says:

I LOVE GLEE!

37. paula says:

I can wait for community!

38. Poobear says:

Lol, of course Stefan gets compelled to do bad things. Saint Stefan would never actually do bad things by himself. LOL, TVD. When did you start to suck so much?

39. iella says:

*shreeek* you were here (in Belgium) and I didn’t get to meet you? no fair!

40. Lisa says:

The CW just ordered a full season of Ringer!!!!

41. JR says:

Another horrible posting. What about high quality shows on cable instead of being a network shill! How about some Breaking Bad, Homeland, & Dexter instead of the usual Glee & Gossip Girl nonsense?
    It’s amazing to me that you get paid to this job.

• Sarah says:

Maybe because he doesn’t have any spoilers for those shows. Maybe more people were asking about the network tv shows because – gasp! – more people watch them. Don’t get me wrong, I love all of the shows you just mentioned, but it would be a ridiculous commercial move for an entertainment site to NOT “shill” for the networks, because that’s where most of the viewership is. Also, here’s a hint: scan the article. Are there any items about your shows? No? Then don’t read it and move on instead of getting all butthurt about it.

42. Maka says:

Noooo!!! Don’t go Thirteen!!! You will be missed :(. Damn you Olivia Wilde and your five movies in the pipe!

43. LC says:

Woop woop! Community scoop, love it! I think it may be my new obsession.

44. Sarah says:

MORE twists on Vampire Diaries? I can’t freaking wait. This season just keeps getting crazier and crazier (read: better and better).

45. Lucyanne says:

Thank you Michael for the Secret Circle Scoop!!!

46. Jeanette says:

Thanks for the Chuck and Blair scoop. Fingers crossed the reason Louis is scheming against Chuck is because he knows he’s the real daddy. :D

47. stw says:

After steadfastly saying they didn’t follow the dictates of fan tweets and demands, Glee is basically spending Season 3 so far writing specifically to the demands of every fan base that ever talked loudly in Season 2 and said they were unhappy. Fans had fits about Beth disappearing, so she’s back. Fans had fits about Rachel no longer being the crazy-driven-unlikable-cares-only-about-herself-over-intense-girl, so they have her inexplicably running for president and trashing her best friend to do so, making sure we know they are recreating this character by giving us a scene of Rachel marching to talk to Coach Besite that directly parallels her Pilot march to Figgins to rat out Sandy Ryerson so she could get her solos. People wanted more Mercedes, and a Mercedes boyfriend, so we get more Mercedes and a Mercedes boyfriend. Fans said they wanted Mike, so we get a nice enough but totally predictable Mike story; they said they wanted to hear Mike sing, so we get Mike singing an extremely overproduced number. They like Brittany, so we get lots of Brittany songs. (Her running for president is actually a good story line this season–one of the few–but her songs aren’t that great because they have to so heavily over-produce her vocals; they should have her largely stick to the dancing and acting.) Fans wanted feminism so we get a song called “Girls Rule the World”–although, in typical Glee fashion, it’s led by a girl dressed like a hooker, making me question whether the message is feminist or a further objectification of women. Fans wanted Wemma, so we get Wemma forced on us and once more see them show Emma as a problem that Will The Hero needs to fix (that was where Glee went off-base with Wemma, by the way; at the outset, Will was the one with the problems and Emma pointed out to him what choices he was making and could make–she never tried to fix him, just to help him see how he could fix himself. Fans wanted more Sue, so she runs for Congress. Fans wanted Blaine to be singing as much as he did with the Warblers, so Blaine is getting all sorts of solos that are tangentially related to the story (just like his Warbling days). Fans liked the Kurt/Rachel friendship, so Kurt/Rachel is being forced down our throats ad naseum (I was one of the biggest Hummelberry fans in S2, but this year it has yet to click with me). Fans like Finchel, so we get snippets of Finchel with supposedly a (single) big Finchel episode coming up. Fans thought Will should have focused more on Nationals, so Will focuses solely with Glee on Nationals. Fans wanted Dave to return, so Dave is returning. Fans want Brittana, so Brittana is slowly developing. Fans wanted to see a Quinn/Rachel friendship, so Rachel tries to talk Quinn into rejoining Glee. Fans wanted a story arc like the pregnancy soap opera story arc previously, so we’re getting a “get the baby back” story arc. Fans expressed dislike of Finn last year, so Finn has virtually disappeared from any story of his own and his scenes are constantly being cut/edited out. I could go on and on and on. Basically, if you complained loudly enough about it last year/over the summer, Glee is writing it for you.

And if you liked the show last year, and therefore didn’t complain? Too bad–you should have found a way to throw a fit, because right now all that’s being done is greasing squeaky wheels in what comes across as a desperate attempt to win back viewers. Here’s the think, though, Glee creative team: A) you should always keep in mind the folks who love what you’ve been doing and keep giving them what is working so well. B) If you want to go back to basics and recreate what made people fall in love with the show, you should remember that what made people love it was the story YOU created and told and filmed long before the show ever caught the attention of fans and aired. What we all fell for was YOUR work, not your pandering to fan desires. Forget us; pretend we don’t exist; go back and rewatch Seasons 1 and 2 and then carry through on those stories that YOU want to tell–the passion that infuses the show when you are doing what YOU want to do comes through when you are true to yourselves (hmmm; I think that’s the theme of a show called Glee, actually–or it used to be). When you try to make an ever-shifting and too-disparate-to-ever-please-everyone fan base happy in the moment, it falls flat.

One other suggestion–rework how you are doing the writing and go back to the method that worked so well of assigning different character voices to each writer rather than what I have to deduce is your new method of assigning different story lines to different writers. Your characters who appear in more than one story line (Rachel, Kurt, and Will have had the most of this in S3 so far) are feeling increasingly schizophrenic, veering wildly from emotion to emotion depending on what story they are appearing in at the moment without any logic tying their character reactions together within a full episode.

Rachel in 3×02 is the most glaring example of this: we saw driven/focused/diva Rachel morph into vulnerable/abandoned by my birth mother Rachel morph into comedy actress being hyper and overly peppy with Kurt as he auditions Rachel into Finchel Rachel. Lea can pull each Rachel off beautifully, but she seemed to be playing four separate roles that aren’t connected to each other at all in that episode. Season 1 & 2 Rachel, whose voice would have been written by one writer so that it remained consistent throughout both a single episode and the progression of the show, would not have had this discontinuity. We’d have seen the driven diva aspect of her character who wanted, back in Season 1, to learn from Shelby in order to improve her craft, be in total conflict with her feelings of hurt and abandonment, and her feelings would not have resolved themselves w/in 30 seconds to have her chirpily smiling and inviting Shelby to join in her song. More importantly, that encounter with Shelby would have impacted her emotions throughout the rest of the episode–there is no WAY the Rachel Berry created and portrayed in S1 and S2 would not have been deeply affected by the encounter with Shelby, and we would have seen that play out in everything else she did in that episode and in episode three as well.

If you can’t totally change your writing method, at least blend the two; leave individual writers in charge of your various storyline (although truthfully? it feels much more like you are constructing episodes by sticking 3 or 4 fan-fiction stories that bear little relation to each other aside from featuring characters with the same names and some of the same back-stories into your hour time slot rather than creating an organic, episode tale with a solid theme for the episode that ties into the overall themes of the season and the entire show). But, in addition, assign the characters to the various writers–keep the old writers for the S1&S2 main characters of Rachel, Finn, Kurt, Santana, and Sue so that we recognize them and their voices, and let the new writers take on the characters who haven’t had as much focus on them in the past–and, before each script begins filming, have the writers work to make sure that the character voices are both consistent across the storylines and show logical/realistic connections between the things they experience earlier and how they react later.

I can’t emphasize strongly enough how Glee in Season Three feels like it has gone from something that used to be written absolutely organically, with a strong central core intent borne out through cohesive and comprehensive writing down to the most minute detail of character expression, clothing, movement, and dialogue, and has instead become a mish-mash of barely related stories in search of a niche-audience within the varied fanbase, under the apparent theory that everyone will watch if they can be assured that a story they like will be featured on a rotating basis.

Glee isn’t a food court show; nor is it a cafeteria or a buffet where there is infinite choice so that you can try to please everyone all the time by catering to each individual taste. It is–or at least it used to be–a gourmet feast that, once people tried it, they fell in love with, but that stayed true to its taste and flavor. It was the best written and best acted show on TV in seasons 1 & 2; now it feels like something I’d never bothering tuning back in to if I was turning in on for the first time because it is so scattered and mass-produced.

(And hey–one final recommendation: push to go back to a 9:00 time slot; forget that 8 year olds watch the show; reclaim your comedic edge that came not from slapstick but from trenchant, biting, acerbic satire based on the true horrors that everyone goes through in trying to make it through high school life more or less unscathed and unscarred–and which everyone fails to do, because the place is set-up to be a hell-hole of one’s existence. For instance–the scene you name as going too far in Season 2–the masturbation scene with Jacob Ben Israel? It was authentic, original Glee; that was good, hilarious television. You should NOT have backed away from that, and if parents called you up complaining about their elementary and junior high kids asking what had happened in the scene, you should have responded not by backing off but by asking them what they’re doing letting young kids watch a show about upper-level high school students that was written for and aimed at high schoolers, college kids, and adults. And I have no idea why you though the “Sexy” scene with the condoms was too racy, but let me assure you–not only wasn’t it racy at all, but it actually may have been the only real sex ed lesson kids in some districts in the nation will get at all in high school; if anything, there should have been more pointed and to-the-point comedy about sex and its consequences, not less. That type of stuff is what you did unabashedly in Season One, and I guarantee you that it’s why so many Comedy Emmy nominations and Emmys came your way.)

• Sara says:

You are totally spot on in your analysis. Having just laughed til I cried through first episodes of this season’s Modern Family, I realise I should focus on shows that know what they are about, have jokes that come from the spot-on writing and acting of the characters… not a show with a total identity crisis.

48. hagar says:

what will hapen with quine and beth?? what about quine anyway?

49. aris ochoa says:

castle KATE BECKETT CASTLE………..

50. Hello, i think that i saw you visited my weblog thus i came
    to “return the favor”.I’m trying to find things to enhance my site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!