NBC Buys Roseanne Barr Mobile-Home Comedy

Get More: News, Pilots

Though she is no longer “nuts,” it looks like Roseanne Barr isn’t done with her television comeback.

The raucous comedienne, whose reality series Roseanne’s Nuts was cancelled by Lifetime last month, has sold a new multi-camera comedy to NBC, according to our sister site Deadline.com. News of the show, called Downwardly Mobile, first surfaced in August, but the deal with the Peacock net brings it one step closer to reality.

Barr created the new series, which will focus on a blue-collar family living in a trailer park, with boyfriend John Argent and former Roseanne executive producer Eric Gilliland.

Let the search for the perfect couch Afghan begin!

Comments (27)

• Always loved Roseanne because she is nuts. Looking forward to watching the new show.

Comment by Joanna – October 10, 2011 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they’re only doing it because it’s multicam (and because it’s funny, but I foresee many multicam comedies from NBC next year)

Comment by Michael – October 10, 2011 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So pumped! I love Roseanne and her humor. She’s batsh!t crazy but that is what makes her so GREAT!

Comment by Aura Lea – October 10, 2011 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Rosanne in the late 80′s and early 90′s. Once she decided to throw her political views in our face I stopped watching and haven’t been interested in her since. Dan and Rosanne were my hero’s in the beginning, and I miss them all. I no longer think she’s the least bit funny…crazy, weird, way over the top? Absolutely!! This sounds like another flop waiting to happen.

Comment by Kat – October 10, 2011 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well it is on NBC so it’s a flop no matter what it is.

Comment by Midori – October 10, 2011 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Welcome back Rosanne, we all missed you!!!

Comment by Linda – October 10, 2011 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A new reason to boycott NBC.

Comment by socalgal – October 10, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s still nuts – delusional, to be precise. She has a revisionist view of what working on “Roseanne” was like and how the people working for her perceived her. She wasn’t a strong women who was wronged – she was a crazy lady who ruled by fear and threats and nonsense. Note how no one who worked with her on Roseanne has worked with her again. There is a reason for that.

Comment by Rowan – October 10, 2011 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Michael Fischman who played DJ visited her in Hawaii on Roseanne’s nuts. I realize its reality TV but he seemed to have a genuinely positive view of her.

Comment by Matt – October 10, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I believe she is also friendly with Sara Gilbert. I think the only people who don’t want to work with her were people who were more concerned with being PC than creating a funny show.

Comment by Andy – October 10, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Having worked on Roseanne, I can tell you that no one was concerned at all about being PC on that show – and they still aren’t. Avoiding working with her is not being PC. She left a bad taste in everyone’s mouth – not because of her many mental illnesses (those are sad and clearly still affecting her) – but because she treated people horribly. She was okay with the actors and some of the crew, but everyone saw how she treated the writing staff and others she decided were her enemies. John Goodman, Sara Gilbert, Sarah Chalke and Laurie Metcalf have continued to work both in TV and film. At any point in the past 14 years, one of them could have had her appear, even as a cameo, on one of their projects and the ratings would have been great for that episode. No one has. Not one of the many writers that worked on Roseanne have ever offered to create a series for her, or even work with her again. PA’s that have gone on to be writers and producers have never offered to work with her again. THere is a reason for this.

Comment by Rowan – October 10, 2011 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad they are bringing good family tv back….shows like Tim Allens which debuts tomorrow means we are bringing the “oldies but goodies” back…cant wait!

Comment by OjaiGirl – October 10, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tim Allen’s new show is a horrible, horrible flop… honestly, it was trying WAY too hard.

Comment by Botox – October 13, 2011 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • canceled

Comment by Mike – October 10, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If we’re going to do a show about trailer trash, why not just spin-off Berta from 2 1/2 Men into her own show?

Comment by Templar – October 10, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d watch that!

Comment by David – October 10, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a huge fan of her first and only sitcom, but even I’m skeptical.

I DO think this country needs another shot of “reality” (in the form of a smart blue-collar show) to capture this nation’s current economic depression.

BUT, I simply think it’s a longshot for Roseanne. Her first success was awesome and much-needed.

But this is a different time, and it boils down to luck sometimes.

Comment by jjjj – October 10, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC cancels good shows way to quick, so I would say this one will last a decade.

Comment by Ray – October 10, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yea, like they cancelled 30 Rock, The Office, and Community huh?

You’re absolutely right!

Comment by gh – October 10, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC needs this to be a hit! I love low-brow family comedies!!!

Comment by alan – October 10, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You think it’s “low-brow” cuz it deals with working class people? If so, you’re a moron. You can create art with “poor” people as subjects.

Look through the history of books, stories, movies, music.. not every character in them has been rich or beautiful.

Geez.

Comment by hh – October 10, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good to see Roseanne developing a new series. But is this something in which she’ll star, or is she simply behind the scenes?

Comment by Eric – October 11, 2011 03:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • looks like she’ll star. I worship the amazing writing and stories of her first sitcom, but even I’m skeptical about this.

Cuz at least with her first sitcom she was kind of an “unknown” to America. Now–America knows how “polarizing” she is…. so we may not be as open to her.

Comment by jjjj – October 11, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOT a fan of this woman. Used to work around her — nothing to like. She’s loud, obnoxious and NOT funny, both personally and professionally. Not to me. No way I’ll watch. Just no way.

Comment by Shay – October 11, 2011 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it will only work if they get Laurie Metcalf to be her sidekick in it…

Comment by Brady – October 21, 2011 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Old IRoseanne was hysterical, then child abuse, domestic violence started, unfaithfulness,took over and I stopped watching. Not funny and I change channel when this garbage comes on, even the reruns.

Comment by Lynda Iozzo – November 17, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wheres the time machine?

Comment by clak – December 13, 2011 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post