NBC Buys Roseanne Barr Mobile-Home Comedy

Though she is no longer “nuts,” it looks like Roseanne Barr isn’t done with her television comeback.

The raucous comedienne, whose reality series Roseanne’s Nuts was cancelled by Lifetime last month, has sold a new multi-camera comedy to NBC, according to our sister site Deadline.com. News of the show, called Downwardly Mobile, first surfaced in August, but the deal with the Peacock net brings it one step closer to reality.

Barr created the new series, which will focus on a blue-collar family living in a trailer park, with boyfriend John Argent and former Roseanne executive producer Eric Gilliland.

Let the search for the perfect couch Afghan begin!

1. Joanna says:

Always loved Roseanne because she is nuts. Looking forward to watching the new show.

2. Michael says:

I think they’re only doing it because it’s multicam (and because it’s funny, but I foresee many multicam comedies from NBC next year)

3. Aura Lea says:

So pumped! I love Roseanne and her humor. She’s batsh!t crazy but that is what makes her so GREAT!

4. Kat says:

I loved Rosanne in the late 80′s and early 90′s. Once she decided to throw her political views in our face I stopped watching and haven’t been interested in her since. Dan and Rosanne were my hero’s in the beginning, and I miss them all. I no longer think she’s the least bit funny…crazy, weird, way over the top? Absolutely!! This sounds like another flop waiting to happen.

5. Linda says:

Welcome back Rosanne, we all missed you!!!

6. socalgal says:

A new reason to boycott NBC.

7. Rowan says:

She’s still nuts – delusional, to be precise. She has a revisionist view of what working on “Roseanne” was like and how the people working for her perceived her. She wasn’t a strong women who was wronged – she was a crazy lady who ruled by fear and threats and nonsense. Note how no one who worked with her on Roseanne has worked with her again. There is a reason for that.

• Matt says:

Michael Fischman who played DJ visited her in Hawaii on Roseanne’s nuts. I realize its reality TV but he seemed to have a genuinely positive view of her.

• Andy says:

I believe she is also friendly with Sara Gilbert. I think the only people who don’t want to work with her were people who were more concerned with being PC than creating a funny show.

• Rowan says:

Having worked on Roseanne, I can tell you that no one was concerned at all about being PC on that show – and they still aren’t. Avoiding working with her is not being PC. She left a bad taste in everyone’s mouth – not because of her many mental illnesses (those are sad and clearly still affecting her) – but because she treated people horribly. She was okay with the actors and some of the crew, but everyone saw how she treated the writing staff and others she decided were her enemies. John Goodman, Sara Gilbert, Sarah Chalke and Laurie Metcalf have continued to work both in TV and film. At any point in the past 14 years, one of them could have had her appear, even as a cameo, on one of their projects and the ratings would have been great for that episode. No one has. Not one of the many writers that worked on Roseanne have ever offered to create a series for her, or even work with her again. PA’s that have gone on to be writers and producers have never offered to work with her again. THere is a reason for this.

8. OjaiGirl says:

So glad they are bringing good family tv back….shows like Tim Allens which debuts tomorrow means we are bringing the “oldies but goodies” back…cant wait!

9. Mike says:

canceled

10. Templar says:

If we’re going to do a show about trailer trash, why not just spin-off Berta from 2 1/2 Men into her own show?

11. jjjj says:

I’m a huge fan of her first and only sitcom, but even I’m skeptical.

I DO think this country needs another shot of “reality” (in the form of a smart blue-collar show) to capture this nation’s current economic depression.

BUT, I simply think it’s a longshot for Roseanne. Her first success was awesome and much-needed.

But this is a different time, and it boils down to luck sometimes.

12. Ray says:

NBC cancels good shows way to quick, so I would say this one will last a decade.

13. alan says:

NBC needs this to be a hit! I love low-brow family comedies!!!

• hh says:

You think it’s “low-brow” cuz it deals with working class people? If so, you’re a moron. You can create art with “poor” people as subjects.

Look through the history of books, stories, movies, music.. not every character in them has been rich or beautiful.

Geez.

14. Eric says:

Good to see Roseanne developing a new series. But is this something in which she’ll star, or is she simply behind the scenes?

• jjjj says:

looks like she’ll star. I worship the amazing writing and stories of her first sitcom, but even I’m skeptical about this.

Cuz at least with her first sitcom she was kind of an “unknown” to America. Now–America knows how “polarizing” she is…. so we may not be as open to her.

15. Shay says:

NOT a fan of this woman. Used to work around her — nothing to like. She’s loud, obnoxious and NOT funny, both personally and professionally. Not to me. No way I’ll watch. Just no way.

16. Brady says:

it will only work if they get Laurie Metcalf to be her sidekick in it…

17. Lynda Iozzo says:

Old IRoseanne was hysterical, then child abuse, domestic violence started, unfaithfulness,took over and I stopped watching. Not funny and I change channel when this garbage comes on, even the reruns.

18. clak says: