Ratings: Pan Am Flies Even Lower, Desperate Housewives Ties Series Low

ABC’s Pan Am continues to experience some turbulence on Sunday nights, this week dropping another 27 percent in the demo to a 1.9 rating, while boarding 6.42 million total passengers.

Leading into the retro freshman drama was Desperate Housewives (8.46 mil/2.7), which was down about 10 percent to match its all-time low performance with the coveted 18-49 crowd.

Now before you go summoning the Walker family, know that Pan Am is retaining the same percentage (~70) of Housewives‘ audience and demo rating as Brothers & Sisters did a year ago; it’s just working off of a smaller lead-in.

Brothers & Sisters Exclusive: Find Out What Would’ve Happened to the Walkers in Season 6

A few other Sunday snippets:

* NBC Sunday Night Football this week tackled an audience of 19.5 million total viewers while scoring a 7.9 demo rating, up 3 percent week-to-week.

* CBS’ slate, all subject to tweaking due to 35-minute football overrun, shakes out a little something like this: 60 Minutes (13.7 mil/3.6) dropped 20 percent in audience from Andy Rooney’s well-watched swan song, but inched up in the demo. (Andy’s poker pals tuned out, maybe?) Amazing Race (9.6 mil/2.7) looks to be down double digits, while The Good Wife (9.9 mil/2.2) held steady in the demo. CSI: Miami (9.7 mil/2.0) slipped 17 percent.

What were you watching this Sunday night?

1. SK says:

I really like Pan Am. It’s interesting and fun to watch, and I find all the characters likable. It’s too bad Desperate Housewives is not providing a better lead-in for it.

2. Jimmy says:

With football on NBC and football over-runs on CBS these two series are pretty much doomed.

3. Sam says:

Looks like Brothers & Sisters should have gotten that 6th season… A Far superior show with an incredibly more talented cast than Pan Am… I miss the Walkers, and it looks like ABC should as well about now.

• Ellen says:

I agree; I really miss the Walkers. B&S had actors who could act, told stories that were interesting, and was a feel-good series. I actually turned OFF DH last night – I simply can’t watch it any longer. As for Pan Am, I watched about 10 minutes last week and then called it a day – it’s a show without a purpose. I’ll watch and not tape)Dexter and Homeland instead.

4. Alienate says:

I was watching the only show on Sunday nite that is worth viewing:

• Amanda says:

I think Dexter and Good Wife fans might disagree with you.

• Cathie says:

…and if you don’t have premium channels, what are you supposed to watch?

• ESLKid75 says:

Comcast has a 6 month free promotion for Showtime right now, and most of their good series are between Oct and March, so… not sure what your excuse is! :-)

LOVE Dexter, Homeland, Californication, Episodes, and Shameless…

Totally worth the $0 additional a month I’m paying! :-)

5. xav says:

It’s amazing that The Good Wife is getting any viewers at all with CBS screwing it over with football.

6. spike says:

people arent watching live tv any more, the niesel rating system is behind the time. soon 5 mio on any network will be a “hit”

7. kiki says:

The Good Wife holds steady!! That’s what I love to hear!

8. Cy says:

I’ve heard Pan Am is actually NOT the cheap, fetish-pandering show that it was advertised to be. But the stupid commercials put me off so badly that I can’t find the will to go find the first ep and give it a watch. Too bad the producers felt they had to play up the sex appeal in their advertising rather than just telling it honestly as it was–they missed out on the audience that might’ve actually enjoyed the show.

• Dianainks says:

It is not sex, it is multi plots, Abc.com has all the episodes to catch up on the web site. It is worth our while.

• MAS says:

I am wondering if in fact this is the problem. Those attracted by the promos aren’t finding what was promised. Others like me who didn’t want to tune in, but decided to anyway because of good reviews are enjoying it.

9. Bec says:

Fetish-pandering? What ads were you watching?

10. Nancy Botwin says:

The Problem is not the quality of the show, it is a bad timeslot. Seriously, against football? It’s impossible to stay steady

11. Cathie says:

Can someone PLEASE tell CBS, that moving THE GOOD WIFE to Sunday night was stupid. It was one of the highest rated shows and now you never know what time the show will start because of Football. Last night it started at 9:35, week before and 9:20. I use the DVR and have to add 30 minutes or more to get the whole show.

• Alicia says:

this, This, THIS! CBS is allegedly proud of TGW because it’s like the only network show that gets critical recognition on par with cable programming but then they go and screw it over with a crappy time slot. What gives???

• yukoner says:

AGREE!! It is really ticking me off with the delays in Amazing Race and Good Wife. CBS moved Good Wife to Sundays at 9 to kill the housewives – no other reason… they want complete domination. And that is understandable given that they are in the business to make money.

HOWEVER, taking longtime fans of two great shows like Amazing Race and Good Wife and delaying everything due to football is just ridiculous. Why not schedule the football to just go 30 minutes over and then put on a comedy right behind it so other shows start on time??

And, as for Pan Am. I was watching again last night and thinking “I could live without this show”. Not good news for the show- considering my PVR is VERY full of shows it needs to record, I may just give it some space and get rid of Pan Am.

I am shocked that someone on here has not posted that the lower ratings were due to Kim K’s wedding special… How many people actually watched that???

12. Mike says:

I think ABC should move Pan Am to Tuesday nights at 10/9 and Revenge to Sunday nights at 10/9, would be a better match I believe with Desperate Housewives…As much as I would’ve liked to have seen a season 6 of Brothers and Sisters, new series need to be given a chance.

13. Kim says:

I actually really like “Pan Am.” I just watch it at 2am, when I am awake, not 10pm. I never watch anything when it’s on live. Between working nights and school, I watch stuff at weird times.

14. Retriever Mom says:

I actually like Pan Am. I didn’t think I would, but I do. It isn’t as hokey as the commercials led us to believe. No, DH isn’t as good as it has been in the past, and I seriously miss my Walker clan. However, I am learning to like Pan Am, especially with the story of how one of the flight attendants is being made into a CIA courier.

15. Martina says:

I really like Pan Am too, now we have most of the back stories to the flight attendants it’s getting better, last nights episode was great. I think DH is losing is losing it’s audience because of the who done it storyline this year.

16. Rebecca says:

I’d rather have the Walkers back than watch Pan Am. I have watched every episode so far, and this new show is a major snoozefest. When does it get good? Does it ever get good?!? Look at the plummeting audience. Saying that football airs against is a laughable excuse. Everything else on the night and for years in the past also competed with football, and some of the shows have done very well indeed. The ones that don’t are simply the ones that not many people WANT to watch.

17. ann says:

Pan Am better not get canceled! I’m really enjoying it.

18. L says:

I think most people (not me) watch some sport called football. There’s your ratings problem.

• Anna says:

Speaking as a non football fan, it saddens me to see programs like The Good Wife and Pan Am struggling.

I do wish why some people consider the sport, and those who participate in it as “noble”.

19. David C. says:

Football made me miss THE GOOD WIFE last night. But since I heard Lisa Edelstein is in it, I’m downloading it from iTunes. Ravishing woman; great actress.

20. Tanya says:

I stopped watching Pan Am. I really wanted it to like, but it just really didn’t seem to have a point, which would be okay if it was entertaining. But I found it dull. I did hear last night’s episode was better, so hopefully it continues to improve.

• Katie says:

Same here. I stopped watching after about 10 minutes into the 2nd show. I just can’t stay interested in any of the characters. I can see how some people like it, but it’s just not for me.

21. soaps says:

I hope Pam am falls, that is what ABC gets for axing AMC and OLTL. I will never watch the network again, and I hope every new show that airs fail.

22. s says:

ABC can leave Revenge alone because I’ve seen them move shows too soon before and it kills them. Revenge is doing okay in ratings so far so it should stay on Wed nights for now. I also don’t get this thing with Brothers&Sisters? I watched it and it needed to end. Pan Am was okay but not enough for me to continue with it. Plus I’ve been watching Dexter, Breaking Bad and even saw some of Homeland which was great and plan to catch up on that one. The ratings thing is stupid anymore… I watch most of my stuff online these days instead of live

23. Matt says:

Should have given Brothers & Sisters that final season!! ABC is just the worst. Even if B&S’ retention out of Housewives was similar, that show had a very loyal audience, as well. UGHHHHH…

24. Dianainks says:

Do Not take Pan Am off the air! Change the nite or time but do not remove the show! Ah Ok?

25. Desiree says:

No one should ever judge a show from it’s commercials or reviews. It should be watched and a decision should be based on personal preference. Too many people miss out on a good thing because they listen to others.

26. TigerNightmare says:

As far as I’m concerned, the only show that was on last night was Breaking Bad.

27. Nero theTVFiddler says:

I give ABC credit – they are trying to program some new types of one hour shows that push/reach a bit beyond the standard L&O and CSI franchise type shows. However, this is going to be a tough week for ABC and their mgmt. brass. They have some really tough decisions to make soon. Charlies Angels is in big trouble on Thursday nights at 8am, they have Once Upon Time debuting soon on Sundays at 8am, at a time when the rest of the Sunday lineup is struggling. Now Pan Am is in trouble.

Football does give shows like Pan Am tough competition, as do the better cable series [Dexter, BBad, Homeland] that tend to air on Sunday nights. Things may get worse for Pan Am later in the winter/early 2012 [if it can remain airborne that long] when Mad Men returns on AMC at Sunday at 10. When that happens, it really is over for Pan Am. Hence, to save this show, it needs to move ‘soon’.

So, here’s my suggestion to ABC: Revenge is doing pretty well where it is at Wed/10pm. I’d leave it right there – no reason to mess with it and make things worse. But Thursday night at 8pm is wide open – Charlies Angels is done. Why not move Pan Am into that Thursday night 8pm slot leading into Grey’s Anatomy? The competition in that hour is tough, but not that much worse than Sunday at 10pm. Pan Am is ‘family friendly’, so showing it at 8pm on Thursday should not cause any issues, and might get a wider audience. Big Bang Theory tends to attract male audience, Pan Am would fit in well on Thursday with the female-leaning Grey’s and Private Practice.

That’s my suggestion to try to save Pan Am – I think it is worth saving and can improve. The first two episodes were quite good – last night’s Berlin show was [in my humble opinion] quite bad – I felt bad for Christina R – she shouldn’t have to play ‘school girl’ in this role, and I think former Pan Am stewardesses would agree. That episode last night was not a good direction to take – mistakes happen. They can be fixed. Improvement is needed, and a move to Thursday at 8pm might help buy some time to get the flight plan back on course.

There are plenty of shows on broadcast and cable TV to keep everyone entertained. However, retro shows like Mad Men and Pan Am [with improvements] are unique, and need some TLC in order to keep them going. They are worth preserving and watching.

28. LTA says:

I miss the Walkers. I think it was a mistake not to renew them and let them finish out their storyline with an entire season to do so.

29. Lauren says:

I watch Sunday Night Football, Dexter, Homeland then I get dirty with some Dirty SOAP on E!

30. Jay says:

I like Pan Am a lot and not just the main story jetage thing, but also the coldwar/espionage side plots, the music, costumes, women, and overall feeling.

Really hope they can climb in the ratings and cruise at a good altidude for many for episodes/seasons.

31. Sharrie says:

Pan Am is just awful. Soooo boring. And I gave it a chance, honestly. Brothers and Sisters was a MUCH better show.

32. Erika says:

ABC needs to move Pan Am to 10pm eastern 9pm central on Tuesday or Thursday nights. I admit I didn’t watch last night bc I was caught up in the RHONJ finale, but I probably would have watched if RHONJ wasn’t on, but I don’t think that’s true for others. I think football, baseball, and the fact that CBS scheduling on Sundays is a mess really screws it up. If it was on on Tuesday I’d watch Glee, then Ringer (switching back to DWTS results) and then Pan Am. If it was on on Thursdays I’d watch X-Factor and then Pan Am. ABC do a time switch.

33. Watson says:

Ratings are BS. I watch some shows live, most on PVR and some on my computer. How do they think they even have a clue about accurate ratings??

34. Fernando says:

Like I said move Pan Am to Thursday at 8/7 n move Revenge to Sundays at 10/9 both shows would do better at those times n day. Pan Am is not a good fit after desperate housewives they are two different shows and revenge has lots of fan that DVR the show because it’s on wed night at 10 pm it be better on Sunday night

35. nitemar says:

I hope they reconsider TGW on another day. Not that it matters much for the ratings show is doing great, but it really is a pain waiting 30 mnts delay every time.

36. Gerald says:

Ouch for Desperate Housewives and Pan Am. At least this is the last season of DH and hopefully the next episodes will do better.
    As for Pan Am, the ratings keep diving and I have a feeling it will get cancelled. The problem with Pan Am is that it’s a nice show, but there’s not incentive to keep tuning in on a weekly basis. It’s slow, there’s no excitement, any heightened drama or cliffhangers from episode to the next. The weak lead in does not help…
    I have a feeling ABC will pickup for a full season Revenge and Suburgatory and cancel Pan Am.
    By the way, would you people stop with the whole Brothers and Sisters thing! It had yo end, the writing was all over the place and the storylines kept getting worse.

37. Blair from Queens says:

I agree, why put The Good Wife on Sunday night. You never know when it
    starts because of football. As far as Lisa Edelstein is concerned I
    think she is a one-dimensional actor. Her look never changes. One look
    for happy, for anger. She chews her lip. She had the same expression
    on her face all through House. I recently saw her in a bit part in
    the movie “As Good As It Gets”. SAME EXPRESSION. Can’t wait till she is
    off The Good Wife.

• @Blair from Queens says:

I agree. She is very sexy absolutely and she knows how to flirt & embarrass men. This trait is very dominant. Though there is nothing more, she fails to bring deep to her character or emotions. Everytime she tries it looks fake. IMO

38. willow138 says:

Hey, thanks for the tip about the free Showtime promotion with Comcast!! I literally just called & signed up, although i guess in my Philly market it’s just for 3 months free, but that should get me through the Dexter & Homeland seasons. Dvr & On-Demand is way easier than other means. Thanks!!

39. Robert says:

Desperate Housewives is still good! I liked how they left us uncertain where Mike and Susan stand on him finding out about the “secret”. I can’t wait for next week.

40. thedew says:

The big three networks had better get its head out of their hemorrhoids before it is too late.

The rating numbers are going down for one program but the other programs on competing networks with same time slots aren’t seeing a corresponding rise in their rating numbers. Once the viewers find other sources to occupy their time besides network TV, people, like myself, aren’t coming back.

41. robert isenmann, st. louis, mo. USA says:

Pan Am is a great show. Sort of like “Love Boat” at 35,000 feet. We really enjoy the great 60’s costuming, the vintage cars, and how things have changed at airports…no security, no delays, menus with meals, champagne, fresh flowers, and even friendly flight attendants (referred to in the series as “stewardesses”. Let’s give it a chance…after all, there have been no corpses, drive-by shootings, the usual murders, etc., usually associated with TV today. Three cheers for the Pan Am series, even with girdles, the ladies are exceptional. Best wishes to everyone. Thanks for watching!!

42. lilly says:

I really like Pan Am, it’s different and has a talented cast. Doesn’t make me miss B & S at all since I found there last season beyond boring sadly.

43. Jason says:

I stopped watching after about 5 minutes of episode 2 when I was so bored. I really like Christina Ricci but whe was woefully underused. THe rest of the cast was pretty boring. Will be lucky to make it through the season. Seems like Christina brought the audience and the show squandered half of it already.

44. Amber says:

I wasn’t watching anything because I was too busy losing all my money in a Nevada casino Sunday night. GRRR. It would have been much better for me to have been spending Sunday evening sitting in my living room watching my very guilty pleasure Dirty Soap or Dexter, which I just barely caught today. Interesting episode, I like the addition of Mos Def to the cast. I was nervous about the whole angle they were obviously taking on with religion and the idea of redemption, but I should have trusted the show. They are doing a fine job with their new storylines. LOOOOVES me some Dexter.

45. Sean says:

I wouldn’t care if ABC didn’t show any other eps of Pan Am, I hate that show!

D.H. is still fun, if the writers could just get their act together. It is time to get Tom & Lynnette back together!

46. cptone says:

Ya think the so-called boycotted of ABC due to the cancellations of the soaps might have something to due with ABC’s ratings sinking?

• Amanda says:

I don’t think so but there is really no way to know for sure. Most shows are down this season across the board. It’s much more difficult to get fans back than to keep them in the first place. If there is good word of mouth and critical aclaim, people will watch. I think people will watch well scripted TV on any channel. The problem is the networks are throwing a lot of crap against the wall and hoping something sticks. IMO they just don’t get it.

I just got around to watching the first episode of the season of DH. Sort of underwelming but I still want to know the rest of the story. Just not as in must see TV.

PA looked promising after the first episode but haven’t gotten around to watching the rest of the episodes yet.

The GW is a great show but I think they messed up by moving it around. People expect “their” show on a certain day and it’s not a good sign when they keep moving it around. One move..okay. Any more… it’s not a good sign unless they bump you to Thursday. I think GW was hoping to cash in on DH decline when it was strong enough to stand on it’s own on it’s original night. They got greedy.

47. Wilda says:

I love watching The Good Wife and CSI Miami, but I would prefer to have them on a different night! I am so tired of taping stuff before the shows due to football going over. There has to be another day during the week that they can be aired!

48. carla says:

I watch Masterpiece Theatre on PBS to get my Alan Cumming fix then switch to football for the rest of the evening. I record The Good Wife to get more Alan Cumming and the delicious Lisa Edelstein.

49. LeAnn says:

As much as I loved B&S, I’m REALLY liking Pan Am and I think B&S had pretty much run its course, unfortunately. And it’s nothing like the “fetish-pandering” rumors people are talking about. There is so much potential for new plot lines. I do think that Revenge would be better suited for the Sunday timeslot and to move Pan Am to Tuesdays. Hope Pan Am can pick up some new viewers and gain momentum, it really is worth watching!

50. aquarius1271 says:

As much as I adore Pan Am I think this week’s episode was definitely uninvolving. A storyline about stewardesses who fly to Berlin right at the height of the Cold War and witness the famous JFK speech and sharing the excitement with elderly Berlin residents waving flags of the now defunct West Germany? The French one still reeling over her horrible memories of Nazis during the invasion of her country and not being able to come to terms with her hatred of the German as a consequence? I’m sorry but all of this must have been a real snoozefest for the average American. Who cares about such a story on a Sunday on a main network at primetime in the year 2011? If I were an average hardworking American seeking for some Sunday evening relaxation, I would have swithched the channel to any other thing right after the first 5 minutes! And by that I mean to offense to Americans, I just understand why it has such low ratings. On this course it will be a miracle for the show to survive.