Fall TV Twist: New Girl Gone 'Til November

Fox is hoping that when it comes to the New Girl, absence will make your heart grow even fonder.

Not long after making the breakout comedy the first freshman series to get a full-season pick-up, Fox rejiggered its October schedule in such a way that Zooey Deschanel and friends will not been seen again until Tuesday, Nov. 1.

The first episode to be bumped is a special Wednesday airing that was set for this week.

All told, New Girl will be benched by expanded installments of The X Factor (where the judges rounds are said to be quite entertaining and deserving of extra minutes), and MLB playoffs/World Series coverage.

This not-at-all-nectar news was first reported by The Futon Critic.

1. Mikaela says:

I don’t know what everyone is so upset about. Fox does this every year. The year they started The OC, it started in late August to get a jump on the other fall shows (IE One Tree Hill). Then they took the baseball break and all was good. In the OC’s case what killed the show was Mischa Barton and her horrible acting and not when the season hiatuses were.

Fox has been the contracted station for post season baseball for years. In a way I don’t mind the break as it gives me a chance to watch other stations for shows I don’t get to normally see day of because I am watching Glee, New Girl, Raising Hope ect. The same thing happens in January when AI shows up. What Fox should do is start the fall season AFTER baseball then everyone is happy. It’s not going to kill anyone to wait a few weeks for their shows.

2. Allison says:

I hate how all these lame “reality” shows eat up the schedule. How about preempting X-Factor and giving up more Glee, Raising Hope, & New Girl instead?

3. Frank says:

Fox needs to plan a bit better….How about not starting any new shows until after the World series….

4. Sebastian says:

Fox Already has american idol. Why did they ever think they needed a clone of it?
    Why must baseball come before proper television, isn’t it bad enough that they have games like yesterday that end up taking four hours, pushing their shows back? Why can’t people watch sports on dedicated sports channels like espn?
    I know the answer is pretty irrelevant now, but did fox actually advertise this new girl on wednesday? I haven’t seen any ads about it, this announcement about it not happening is the first I’ve heard of it, and I hate to think that if this postponement hadn’t happened I’d have missed it. Not that my attention relates in any way to the answer.

5. archie says:

The dynamics of New Girl completely changed without Coach being there. Zooey is cute, but I’m still waiting for the whole group to really gel together.

• tuba player says:

so you think the 15 seconds you saw Damon Wayans Jr (channeling his dad as he is wont to do) really made the difference in the chemistry and writing of this show? no. it sucked before and it sucks now.

6. Natalie says:

I cannot say this enough….I HATE baseball. Fox showing the baseball games screws everything up ALWAYS. Happened last year where the games would run over and my DVR wouldn’t record my shows, happening this year AGAIN. Last night House didn’t record at its scheduled time(at least I got Terra Nova in its place) and now shows like New Girl are getting “bumped” for this crap! COME ON FOX if you’re going to show baseball and X-Factor crap then don’t start seasons of shows until AFTER the playoffs and X-Factor crap is OVER!

It’s insanely frustrating being a fan of Fox shows because you never know what asinine scheduling change they’ll come up with next!

7. Tv girl says:

Why does this always upset people, it happens every October Fox changes its programming for baseball. It is only three weeks we will all survive.

8. Amber says:

No fair!

9. MikeyM says:

New Girl is nauseating. Zooey’s weird act is getting old.
    Get rid of the Dino Poop known as Terra Nova as well.

10. Lindsey Kirsch says:

All I know is that this is one of the first sitcoms I’ve laughed at in a long time..and for gods sake…all I watch is sons of anarchy..dexter..and family guy…go “New Girl”

• aimee s says:

then you have no sense of humor. bc there is nothing funny about New Girl. oh. wait. you probably still laugh when someone says “pull my finger”, right? man this show sucks.

11. Lindsey Kirsch says:

And whoever says they HATE baseball is an idiot. Like everyone else say..its only another few weeks..and its americas past time. I love glee and the new girl…but seriously get off your couch and do something in october. Lol

12. Cris says:

BTW know it all, awful does mean “full of awe”. It has multiple meanings. It didn’t take on the negative meaning until the 19th century. (At least that the first known written use of it with that meaning.) “Awefull” is just a misspelling, which wouldn’t change the meaning of the word.

I suggest you don’t criticize other people so obnoxiously when you don’t understand the English language yourself.

• Cris says:

So apparently replies don’t work and show up as their own comment instead when you have javascript blocking enabled. This was meant as a reply to some jerk’s comment above.

13. LouAnn says:

I hope New Girl comes on everytime me and my daughter like a show it seems to be canceled i am glad to see that it will be back Nov. 1. I dont watch much shows like this since friends went off but this seems to be a great show about time….