Fall TV Twist: New Girl Gone 'Til November

Fox is hoping that when it comes to the New Girl, absence will make your heart grow even fonder.

Not long after making the breakout comedy the first freshman series to get a full-season pick-up, Fox rejiggered its October schedule in such a way that Zooey Deschanel and friends will not been seen again until Tuesday, Nov. 1.

The first episode to be bumped is a special Wednesday airing that was set for this week.

All told, New Girl will be benched by expanded installments of The X Factor (where the judges rounds are said to be quite entertaining and deserving of extra minutes), and MLB playoffs/World Series coverage.

This not-at-all-nectar news was first reported by The Futon Critic.

1. Alex says:

The good thing is no Glee until November too?

• Gerald says:

No Glee, Raising Hope or New Girl until November. Hopefully it will will help Ringer, as New Girl is it’s biggest competition.

• remmez says:

No Glee and No new girl, it must be christmas.. Awefull shows. Hope they’ll kill them off.

• Spell Check says:

“Awefull” (if it were a word) would mean “full of awe.” That’d mean you like these shows. But I don’t think that’s what you’re going for. So try “awful.”

• dbag check says:

You obviously knew what remmez meant. Your post would mean that you are trying to be helpful. But I don’t think that’s what you were going for. So try you are a dbag.

• Cris says:

BTW know it all, awful does mean “full of awe”. It has multiple meanings. It didn’t take on the negative meaning until the 19th century. (At least that the first known written use of it with that meaning.) “Awefull” is just a misspelling, which wouldn’t change the meaning of the word.

I suggest you don’t criticize other people so obnoxiously when you don’t understand the English language yourself.

• troll infinity says:

Ah, literacy in America. How grand! Yes, they ARE all the same person.

• Amy says:

LOL i am as happy as you are

2. Dana says:

OK, seriously? This is exactly what killed Pushing Daisies! Cute, quirky, critically acclaimed comedy goes on hiatus only to lose viewers interest and fade into cancellation. And the X-Factor isn’t even good! This is crap. :o(

• rod says:

i think the writers strike killed Pushing Daisies, i still miss that show

• Dana says:

Well, the writer’s strike was the cause for the long delay in returning to air, which ultimately killed PD. I miss it too! :(

• John Berggren says:

Writers strike plus ABC scheduling. They really did a number on it in season 2 with little or no support.

It never belonged on ABC.

• Ava says:

New Girl has been pulling much better ratings than Pushing Daisies did though. Fox always bumps things around in October, I think they take that into account when looking at ratings for the fall. I’m kind of bummed that New Girl and Hope will be gone til November. I almost wish Fox would wait to start their season until after the playoffs to start their shows. It sucks to have like three weeks of new shows and then 3 weeks of hiatus.

• bamabunny says:

Seriously, Fox should just delay their whole Fall season until November. You get what, two weeks of new shows? Then BAM, October gets eaten up by baseball and now Simon Cowell. Freaking teases.

• alex says:

I so miss Pushing Daisies. I know.. crying over spilled milk but that show was so unique.

• Bob says:

If the show doesn’t contain the words “American Idol” or “X-Factor”, Fox could care less about scheduling conflicts, delays, etc. Everything in their programming department revolves around those two shows.

I, too, loved Pushing Daisies, but once again, according to any network’s thinking, quirky, unique shows are subject to constant schedule changes. Then the execs wonder where the audience went for these shows.

3. Lori says:

I love New Girl. It’s different and funny unlike all the other shows on TV this fall. Can’t wait for it’s return!

• just saying says:

it’s not different and it’s definitely not funny. it’s trying too hard, badly written and overacted. you evidently have no taste and just like anything that’s on tv. which is why it’s hilarious that you try to compare New Girl to other shows. notice you didn’t even try to quantify that statement, though. my guess is because you have no critical analysis skills.

4. Jaime says:

What? I hate when they do this stuff, they always lose audiences and I don’t want to see the ratings drop for such a great show. Bump X-Factor, it’s really not a good show.

5. kauis says:

Nooooooo it’s the only series I’m watching!
    I guess I’ll have to focus on work now…not!

6. Esaul says:

FOX advertised New Girl on a special night Wednesday, is that still true?

7. Kristina says:

Crap, crap and more crap. Fortunately there are other networks out there that offer something worth watching.

8. Martina says:

well I stopped watching this, had enough after 2 episodes so good riddance

• ESLKid75 says:

Same here. I really don’t get what the fuss is about. If it’s just about Zooey Deschanel being so “awesome”, then I get it even less…
      Note that I don’t wish it harm. I just don’t get it. And yes, this kind of scheduling might kill it.

• Captain says:

I agree. I heard so many good things about it and I was so excited to see it…then I saw the pilot. I feel like I’m the only one who finds Zooey (someone I actually like) incredibly annoying in this show. I watched the second episode and was done. Don’t get the appeal at all.

• Jason S says:

YEs you’re the only one. Zoey is an absolute star. She is looking more and more like the next Lucille Ball with every episode. The supporting cast I’m not sure of yet but I heard that Lizzy Caplan will be a guest star. I hope she become recurring or regular. The show does have legs I believe. Even with the hiatus.

• jj says:

no, jason s.. you can speak for yourself, but there are plenty of people who don’t like the show or the jess character. i get what they were trying to do with the show and with the characters, but ultimately they failed. just bad, pedantic writing that didn’t bother to develop characters and instead just gave caricatures. those of you who like it, i feel just like the INTENTION and not the actual execution. but a lot of shows have good intentions and ultimately suck. Fox is lucky that they got Zooey to be in this. Not because she does such a great job in it (bc i don’t think ANYOnE could elevate this p**s poor writing), but bc many of you will love her even in crap. which is what NEW GIRL is. I have liked her as an actress, but not in this. oh, sooo not in this.

• Jack says:

No, you’re not the only one. Zooey should be zingy and smart. Not mopey and whiney.

9. themadlibs says:

Could NBC please do this to Whitney?

10. maria says:

LAME!!! I love New Girl and could care less about sports. However, one upside is we get 2 Deschanel sisters back in the same week!! My heart will go in Deschanel overdrive!!

11. Boiler says:

Yea keep New Girl and Glee and dump X factor OR get out of the baseball business!!!

12. Jeff says:

that’s when glee comes back anyway, so it makes some sense.

13. Sean Carter says:

It’s 3 weeks, not 3 months. I’m more than sure it will be fine. You guys can do this. I have faith in you, the viewers.

14. Dijea says:

I hate to say that is not the case. Out of sight – out of mind.

15. Gerald says:

Hopefully it will will help Ringer, as New Girl is it’s biggest competition.

16. Jasin says:

Comedies usually fare better between breaks then dramas. I don’t think anything will change.

17. Lynne says:

Do people still watch baseball? Talk about hurting a charming show

18. John Berggren says:

One: Do we really need more X-factor? I think the show would have launched better if it didn’t try to eat half the viewing week.

Two: Stop running sports on broadcast networks. There are a thousand channels, and digital allows multiple bands for broadcasters. Run sports on your B-band and stop pre-empting scripted series.

• Brooke says:

Sports are probably too lucrative to relegate them to lesser channels.

• John Berggren says:

People who want to watch sports will find them where they are. With dual broadcasts, they can sell commercial time for the sport event AND commercial time for the scripted event. Win-win.

• Jamie says:

I couldn’t agree with you more about X-Factor. The funny thing though is that I don’t think this happened because they (FOX) wanted more X-Factor, I think they did it because they didn’t want X-Factor to weigh down New Girl. Who would have thought that would be the case before the season started.

19. DENNIS says:

I won’t miss it. I don’t understand why it’s such a hit. I find it seriously lacking in humor. It’s also lacking in likable characters.

20. Potch says:

God I hate Fox. I hate them so effing much.

21. Jenna says:

Pushing Daisies was way more creative and clever than new girl

22. Daniel says:

Everyone acts like this is news. FOX airs the postseason for baseball. It won’t lose viewers at all.

23. Sasha says:

It’s no big deal, really. Fox does this every year and a lot of it’s shows go into hiatus. I, personally, would rather watch New Girl but can wait a couple weeks for it to come back. As long as Fox keeps reminding people to tune in with ads, the show will be fine.

24. Bmass says:

For frak’s sake, does anybody even care about stupid baseball anymore? LAME!

25. Chance says:

New Girl was unwatchable. I couldn’t finish the first episode.

26. Lindsey says:

I like New Girl fine, but it’s not must-see TV. I’ll miss Raising Hope for 3 weeks though. Oh well… Typical FOX.

27. madeline says:

Boo! I don’t wanna wait until November for New Girl!

28. Bernice says:

This is the dumbest thing ever. Who takes their number 1 show and shelves it for a month. Do they think viewers are going to come back in November?

29. dave says:

seeing all these posts about missing “Pushing Daisies” makes me feel happy again, for the first time in a long time! Thank You!

30. Tania says:

Why are people so stunned by this news? Unless many of you on here have been living under a rock all these years, or suffer from dementia, or have turned on a television for the first time, the playoffs have ALWAYS interrupted the schedule(s)of many programs on FOX. There’s no conspiracy involved. It’s just a fact.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Tania, that is generally true, but Fox typically releases the preempted scheduled before season starts. Here, they’re changing things up after the fact, and not just because of baseball.

31. Erika says:

I like X-Factor, so I’m glad to see it’s getting some love from the network when others were saying Fox wasn’t happy with it. I like others don’t want baseball to mess w/ my shows, but what can you do really it brings in ratings. I don’t watch New Girl so I don’t mind. Tuesday this week for me will be Ringer while flashing back to DWTS results. Glee is a repeat. I wish the networks would put a show I like on for the third time slot. I wish they’d move Pan Am or Person of Interest to that slot.

32. Rachel says:

blahhhhh, that sucks. I love the playoffs and all, but no New Girl?

33. Kim says:

I hate when Fox does this. I watch baseball games, go to games, but dude… I am in Washington. The Mariners blow. So the idea of 3 weeks of baseball when it’s not my team and then to take off my favorite shows…Suck.

34. Msw says:

I found myself really enjoying New Girl. Jess is refreshingly different
    and I like the chemistry between her and her male
    roomates. (hope they handle the inevitable hook
    up between her and Nick well. They actually
    seem like they could be a fun couple to watch)
    I don’t mind waiting for something that is worth
    Waiting for. Keep it up!

35. Marc says:

Say what you will about The CW, I think FOX is actually the dumbest network on television. It’s amazing that any shows get at a chance at all to gain traction at that network with their multiple schedule changes and idiotic show decisions. Off the top of my head there was building Dollhouse to fail, moving around Tru Calling until no one cared, changing the dynamic of Dark Angel, messing up Arrested Development, cancelling Family Guy, doing the same to Breaking In and airing episodes of Firefly out of order so that many plot points of the season made no sense. There’s also cancelling Lie To me, which caused its team to go to ABC and create Modern Family. It’s ridiculous how little of a clue they have.

36. Olivia says:

Captain, you’re not the only one who finds Zooey absolutely insufferable in this show. To each their own, of course, and if you like it more power to ya, but…I can’t stand it.

37. lacey says:

Bumping New Girl for more X factor is stupid. It’s already a long show and it doesn’t need to be longer.

38. Kasper says:

I like New Girl, but I am still not sure whether to keep watching or not. The pilot was AMAZING and the cast really worked well together. Then comes the second episode, some things have changed and Coach has been replaced by som other guy with zero charisma and it ruins the dynamic. The show is still good, but not as good :-(

• gigi says:

I agree 100% with you Kasper. The pilot was awesome, episodes 2 and 3 sucked so bad, well, almost.

• ty says:

I agree the new guy just does not have the same chemistry with the rest of the cast that Coach had. Happy Endings getting renewed is the worst thing to happen to New Girl.

39. Bunny says:

I am on hunger strike till new Glee is back on.

40. dina says:

I think New Girl is overrated. The pilot was great but the last 2 episodes were a let down for me. Zooey is trying too hard to look ‘cute’ it’s not even natural.

41. Amber says:

It has taken me a few episodes to get on board with New Girl, but I’m still kind of on the fence about it. It’s like I want to like it, but I’m just not sure if I do yet. It has gotten better to me the more I see it. I do think a hiatus will hurt the show’s chances, and bumping it for anything X Factor related is really quite sad. But I say that as someone who despises all competition-related shows. The world was a horrible enough place with one American Idol in it, now we have a second one that’s bumping scripted series? That blows.

• idiocracy rules says:

trust me. you don’t like it. you like what it is INTENDED to be and not what it actually IS. the fact that you question it at all shows that you have the intelligence to know the difference. Congratulations. according to Nielsen (which i think is hogwash, btw) 10 million americans are NOT smart enough to know the difference.

42. Kira J says:

This is a really stupid idea.

43. eric says:

The way TV is programmed these days is ridiculous. Air twice, hiatus, return, cancel, repeat. It’s amazing that anything can find an audience.

44. nitemar says:

FOX-Mess!

45. Midori says:

Yeah we already knew that. When Glee said it was gone Nov. This isn’t a shock.

46. shel says:

I don’t personally like New Girl, but I think this is a very idiotic decision on the part of Fox. Taking a new show that actually is garnering good ratings and bringing its momentum to a screeching halt by putting it on haitus is a good way to kill it. Heck, even with shows that have been around for years and have a solid fanbase can be killed in that way…I know there’s multiple shows that I liked but didn’t stick with because of the constant disruption in schedule, which made it hard to A) keep track of when it was on, and B) took you out of the mood for it by making it too sporadic to remember and even care about the plotlines.

47. P says:

This is the only show I even watch on FOX, and apparently with good reason if they keep pulling stuff like this. They need to go put a dollar in the douchebag jar for that move.

48. kbooga says:

Yuck! I do not like this at all. Don’t “supress the Jess!”!

49. Karen says:

Why not just move baseball and other sports coverage to a channel with crappy shows? NBC would be perfect – just take over that channel and quit messing with primetime season shows!!!!!

50. msmaka says:

They probably did this to not confuse viewers with moving around of the show (tue > wed/thu -> week off > tue)