Castle Preview: A 'Deeply Emotional' Episode Explores a Cop's 'Worst Nightmare'

Get More: Previews, Scoop

This week on ABC’s Castle (Monday, 10/9c), Detective Kevin Ryan gets blindsided by a blast from the past, when the gun the 3XK killer stole from him almost exactly a year ago resurfaces in the grimmest of ways – as the weapon used to kill a young woman.

“It’s a deeply emotional episode for Ryan,” series creator Andrew W. Marlowe shares with TVLine, explaining that such a deadly scenario is “the worst fear of any cop.”

Seamus Dever, who plays Ryan, concurs, telling us, “It is anyone‘s worst nightmare, that something that was your responsibility has now been used to kill somebody.”

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on the Plan to Meet Castle‘s Father

But rather than let this tragic twist sideline the NYPD detective with all-consuming guilt and grief, Castle uses it to present a Kevin Ryan like we have never seen before.

“We did an interesting thing,” Dever reflects. “[Director] Rob Bowman didn’t want Ryan sort of wallowing in the fact, ‘Oh, this happened to me. Poor me.’ Instead, he wanted to activate Ryan to be a better cop, to do his job but even better than he ever has before.” As such, Ryan and the team work hard and fast to track down his weapon before it can be used again.

Exclusive Castle First Look: Nathan Fillion Reunites With Drive Co-Star Kristin Lehman

Despite the dark subject matter, Dever says, “It was fun to really work on that side of Kevin Ryan, because we don’t get to see those shades of him too much.”

Alas, stepping to the fore of this episode did come with a small price.

“I had Nathan Fillion hours!” Dever fake-laments with a laugh, referring to Castle’s portrayer. “That means [shooting for] 14 hours, taking time to go home, memorize more lines, come back the next morning and do it all over again. You feel like you live here!”

Comments (17)

• Cant not wait! Been waiting for a Ryan centric episode for 4 season now!

Comment by Gianna – October 9, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto!! I love Kevin Ryan and it’s about *time* he got centric!

Comment by Claire – October 10, 2011 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is such a terrific show and it is nice to see all the characters get some air time! Can’t wait to see it tomorrow!

Comment by Leigh – October 9, 2011 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yep. I’m excited! :) – (Even more so than usual.) Which, for this show, is saying quite a lot. -

Comment by Allison – October 9, 2011 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see it. Going to be a great episode! XD

Comment by Doc-Harley – October 9, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very excited to see Ryan get more screen time!

Comment by Summer – October 9, 2011 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited for this episode.

Comment by Becky – October 9, 2011 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have been nervous ever since last week’s previews that Ryan was gonna go bye-bye, so thank GOD for this additional info, as it sounds more like Kevin Ryan, Awesome Rogue Cop than Kevin Ryan, Doomed Soon-to-be Ex-Cop. Phew!

Comment by Annie – October 10, 2011 03:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, what a relief! The promos made it seem as if Ryan had shot somebody, which upset me very much. It would be so unlike him. Now that I know it’s someone else, using his stolen gun, I can stop dreading the episode and instead look forward to it.

Comment by zaza – October 10, 2011 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait !

Comment by Dana – October 10, 2011 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Ryan, great to see him get “his” episode! Should be a goodie!

Comment by Michelle – October 10, 2011 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle is the only program we watch on abc the rest is all junk shows it is the view the chew and the few who watch there junk shows anymore for what it is worth they can call it quits all they have is cheap junk shows

Comment by sandra stover – October 10, 2011 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you feel better getting that off your chest? Because I’m never going to get those few seconds I spent trying to interpret your “writing” back.

Comment by Cloudy Knight – October 10, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so glad there is finally going to be a Ryan-centric episode because it is long over due.

Comment by Kim – October 10, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember how AWFUL this show was when it started. But, unlike most, it has just gotten better and better as it has founds its voice. I think the Halloween ep where Castle dressed up as Captain Hotpants was the turning point.

Watching tonight’s ep — might be the best hour of television in the young season.

Comment by Mike – October 10, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish it was time for new series to start on Alibi in UK. It sounds dead exciting.Be great to see Ryan the main character in this episode.

Comment by May mcmenamin – October 11, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Castle
    Does anyone know the song that was playing when Ben got shot?? Near the end of the episode?

Comment by Katelyn – October 11, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post