Breaking Bad Finale Recap, Plus the Inside Story Behind That Jaw-Dropping Scene!

[The following contains monstrous spoilers from the Season 4 finale of Breaking Bad. Watch the thrilling-slash-shocking season-ender first, then read.]

Vamanos,” indeed. AMC’s Breaking Bad pulled off the seemingly impossible with its Season 4 finale on Sunday night, by finding a way for Walt to extricate himself and loved ones from the death sentence they had all but been assigned, while serving up two big jaw-droppers along the way.

The episode picked up with Walt, having been waylaid in his bid to blow up Gus and his goons in the parking garage, scrambling to remove his homemade explosive from the vehicle, then labor to get in touch with Saul. That teed up one of the episode’s few light moments, as Saul’s secretary effectively strong-armed Walt into ponying up $20,000 for a door he broke in the course of storming the law practice.

To secure that “ransom” for Saul’s top-secret phone number, Walt craftily employed a neighbor to send Gus’ watchmen scampering, affording him a brief window to sneak into his home, get under the foundation and grab some greenbacks – narrowly eluding the returning thugs.

Jesse meanwhile found himself having some ‘splaining to do, to some cops who were rather curious about the “Ricin!” alert he blurted to Brock’s mother. Jesse tried to claim that he had, like, simply heard about ricin recently, but his questioners weren’t buying it. That Jesse escaped that predicament at all is only due to the fact that it wasn’t ricin at the root of the kid’s poisoning — but that’s a story for further down in this recap.

Thanks to his discreet tête-à-tête with Saul, Walt learned that Gus had been visiting Tio Salamanca at the nursing home. There, Walt told the twitching, wheezing onetime crime lord, “I know you despise me,… but I’m willing to bet that I know a man you hate even more.” With those words, sweetened by the promise of revenge, Walt found a most unlikely ally.

Hector shortly thereafter rang for his nurse, and requested a sit-down at the DEA office. There, he merely toyed with and taunted Hank & Co., yet for Walter’s purposes he created the illusion that he had spoken to the feds. That led Mike’s fill-in, Tyrus, to alert Gus, who grew incensed and determined to neutralize Hector once and for all, now that he had snuffed everyone the old man cared about.

But Gus’ thirst for his own great revenge would be his undoing. Because once seated across from Hector, set to end his longtime adversary’s life with an injection, he realized – a microsecond too late – that Walt had rigged the wheelchair bell to the homemade bomb. And… boom.

That would not be, however, the last we saw of Gus. No, rather surprisingly he walked away from the blast… if only long enough for us to gaze at his half-removed visage (giving extra meaning to the finale’s unhyphenated title, “Face Off”), see him adjust his tie one final time, and then topple to the floor, dead.

Giancarlo Esposito, who plays Gus, learned of his character’s grand finale back during production of Episode 3. “I said to [series creator] Vince [Gilligan], ‘Look if he’s got to go, let him go big,‘” he tells TVLine. Well, mission accomplished. As for who gets credit for the kill, Esposito says it can go any number of ways. “Did Walt get Gus? Or did Hector get Gus?” he muses with a laugh. “It’s just all so fantastic to me, and that’s why I love this show. It’s poetic justice of the deepest and most fruitful kind. Or in the end, did Gus just get himself? He wanted this revenge so badly.”

As for Gus’ final act, it was Gilligan’s idea to have the baddie fuss with his tie a last time. “That is so absolutely dignified and perfectly Gus,” raves Esposito. “In Pollos Hermanos, I am everyman with the yellow shirt and clip-on that Gus would never wear. I’m even wearing Wallabees, looking very much like Walter. And then you watch him transform into the guy who really is Gus, with the upscale clothes and ties that he ties in a half- or double Windsor.”

The makeup effects to give Gus his Harvey Dent-like melted-off face required a one-and-a-half hour head casting session, followed by a five-hour application process once the prosthetics were ready. “Vince wanted to have this ultimate reveal of a half a death mask on Gus,” Esposito explains. “It was just an amazing physical moment.”

Breaking Bad‘s Giancarlo Esposito Talks About Playing TV’s ‘Baddest Motherf—er’

Back to our recap….

Walt then found Jesse in the superlab, gunned down at near-point blank range his guard, and the two proceeded to prep the underground lair for a massive inferno.

With his foe felled and the lab in cinders, Walt would report to Skyler via a phone call, “I won” – but not before hearing from Jesse that Brock had not been poisoned by the ricin but the toxic berries of a “Lily of the Valley” plant which, apparently, is not uncommon to their region.

But in the finale’s final moments, we saw just how acquainted Walt in fact is with the bush, seeing as a seemingly new one was potted right… on his… back… patio.

What did you think of the Breaking Bad season finale? Did it satisfy?

1. Damian says:

I can never imagIne the show getting any better and more shocking and it always does. Obviously the final season will see walt’s eventual downfall. He’s gone too far and seeing how skyler reacted to the thought that walt could kill and jesse’s reaction when he finds out what happened, it will only be a matter of who or what brings down walt in the final act. Can’t wait for next summer.

• Edith Dzappa says:

Damian, that look on Skyler’s face when Walt said “I won” was pure lust. Walt was in for a merry time that night.

2. Sarah says:

But what happened to Jesse’s ricin?

• Josh says:

There are screen caps on the web with the answer. Don’t want to spoil for anyone if it becomes a plot point next season.

• Rock Golf says:

Walt took it when he bummed the cigarette off Jesse outside the laundry plant.

We just saw Walt earlier in that same episode sit in his backyard, spinning his gun like a roulette wheel. The first 2 times it pointed to Walt himself. The third time it pointed at the (you guessed it!) Lily of the Valley.

• Jacob says:

You’re confused. Those two incidents happened in two separate episodes. Saul’s bodyguard swiped the ciggies when he patted him down last week.

• allie8 says:

He isn’t confused. not sure which episode it was but the scene is on youtube & walt clearly looked at that Lily of the Valley plant and had a light bulb moment. Good call, Rock Golf.

• Snsetblaze says:

And will Mike return?
      How did Walt do it?

• devbie says:

I think the kid could still have been poisoned with ricen as gus was on board of directors of the hospital, is it possible that he had some say as to what the family was told regarding the tox screen results?

3. caryn says:

intense!!

• remmez says:

You can say that. That and: OMFG best season finale ever Breaking Bad. Never seen television like this before. All hail. I can’t wait untill next summer for the last season.

• mon61 says:

This season surpassed them all! I felt that at times last season fell on obvious plotlines. I was riveted to “Gus” and the way his character was fully revealed by this season. He had balls bigger than any other “bad guy” I’ve ever seen on the screen, his quiet demeanor made him all the more dangerous, he was so precise and astute about everything about him. He is a villain I will miss.
        So sad that there’s only one more season.

4. Dr. Matt says:

Incredible episode and actually worthy of being a SERIES finale … but it’s made me excited for next season’s conclusion. The ending shows just how FAR Walt has gone towards the life of criminal and his metamorphosis to criminal mastermind is amazing. He told Jesse that Gus was always “one step ahead”, when Walt thinks so far in advance himself. This is the best show on TV right now and this past season upped the ante and raised the bar for television even more.

5. JJ says:

If Walt poisoned Brock, then that means he took the cigarrette, so will he use it? Or will Skyler find it and smoke it? Or did he even keep it at all? Has the moment passed? Can they bring a cigarette back a season later?

• rockgolf says:

It was the cigarette that Walt “borrowed” from Jesse then stomped out after a couple of puffs.

• TigerNightmare says:

That cigarette that Walt took from Jesse happened early in episode 9. Later on in the same episode, Jesse is seen moving the ricin cigarette from an empty pack into a full one. Before they get into a fight, Walt grabs the pack out of his coat, pulls the cigarette out and throws it at him. Jesse puts it back into the pack. I looked carefully and he didn’t take anything else out of the pack. This is the last time the poison cigarette is ever seen.

One theory is that Saul’s large bodyguard (who is black) grabbed it during that invasive frisking.

• jennrae says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you can’t smoke the ricin cigarette, not the whole thing. The ricin is contained in plastic and I would imagine you would stop when you smell plastic burning. Or am I reading everyone wrong?

6. wanda says:

Well, first it wqas awesome!! Second, if they make walt try to kill a kid in order to save his kids, Well I will not watch anymore. Yes I know that they have to wrap up the series, but as Walt killing a kid, no freakin’ way!!

• Damian says:

Given Walt’s expertise in the field of chemistry, I’m almost certain he knew how much to give the kid. That out of the way, Walt isn’t a real person, neither is the kid, so nobody tried to kill anybody. :p

• wanda says:

NOBODY said he that any of this is real, if it was NOBODY would watch. I was just stating a fact, the reason the show is GREAT, Walt has always fought with the good VS evil, but if the evil wins the show will become predictable and you can’t cheer on the bad guy does bad things.

• Laurel says:

The name of the show is “Breaking Bad”
          The expression means a “person going bad”
          The entire series is about Walter slowly moving over to the dark side hence the name Breaking Bad.
          This is the explanation the Series Creator Vince Gilligan gave of the show in a recent interview.

He went on to say that where Walt is and is going will make the viewers feel conflicted.
          Everyone wants to root for the guy just trying to get by,the underdog but Walt isn’t that man anymore.

7. I love how this show reinvents the term “Breaking Bad” in relation to Walt as it progresses. If it would’ve moved to FX next season it really would’ve been able to start a new, because this really could’ve been a series finale.

The 3 big showdowns I’m waiting for now are Jesse vs. Walt (for real), Chile connection vs. Walt, and Hank vs. Walt.

Great season

8. Colleen says:

• Simon Jester says:

Also, Jesse didn’t claim to have “read about ricin recently” — but rather to have seen it on HOUSE or the Discovery Channel!

9. Colleen says:

I don’t reply to posts, but seeing as Breaking Bad is awesome, I feel the author should at least get some characters names correct; namely the character of Mike. We last saw Mike hooked up to monitors in MEXICO and he hasn’t been seen since. Now, I don’t think he died, just recovering, but he wasn’t anywhere near Hector. Tyrus was at the old folks home making sure it was safe for Gus. Just an FYI.

10. NickyB says:

Wonder how Mike will react to all this…

11. BetterCallSaul says:

The cigarette was lifted by Saul’s bodyguard. Walt had asked Saul to get it from him.

12. Seamus says:

I think Walt took the cigarrette himself, that time he bummed a smoke off Jesse. I think even TVLine mentioned at the time that it was weird to see Walt smoking.

13. Damian says:

Is it possible that plant was planted? There were those guys hanging out in the back yard at his house? I rewatched and now I’m second guessing the ending being too easy to think walt was the one who poisoned. It’s gonna be a long 9 months

• Patriot Fan says:

I see what you did there… plant was planted

• Rock Golf says:

I think I got it! Walt has planned the Lily of the Valley poison for some time. Remember when he was sitting alone a few eps back, in his backyard? He was spinning the pistol on the table. The first 2 times he spun the gun it pointed at him. The third time, it pointed at… THE LILY OF THE VALLEY!!!!

Walt stops spinning the gun and stares. The camera is behind his head so we don’t see his face, but that definitely when he came up with the idea.

Then when he bummed a cigarette off Jesse later that episode outside the laundry, Walter made sure that he took the ricin-pellet one, which Jesse had already showed him. He took one puff then stomped on the rest of the cigarette.

By then, the wheels were in motion…

• GG says:

The Head writer said in an interview that we would defintiely know after this episode who poisoned Brock. Therefore, by showing the plant in Walt’s back yard, he meant for the viewers to conclude that he did it. Not plants planted by bad guys. Walt did it.

• seattlejohn says:

a poster elsewhere pointed out Saul’s secretary was shredding a school schedule, implying Walt’s lawyer had his henchmen get the berries to the kid at his school…which will also make it difficult for Brock to implicate Walt to Jesse when he recovers

• Snsetblaze says:

Interesting. But Saul’s henchman are pretty moronic (unlike Mike and Tyrus.) I would think they would have screwed it up.

14. S says:

As much as I loved the finale I really don’t want Jesse/Walt against either other again. I like them best when they are working together and I’d hate them to end that. I also would hate if people are trying to take Walt out again… He did what he had to do it was them or him/family.

• GG says:

Was it also Walt vs. a little boy? Walt was willing to potentially kill a child, Jesse said it was “touch and go” for Brock for awhile, in order to save himself and his family. Even though Walt didn’t give Brock the ricin he STILL POISONED A CHILD. Are you ok with rooting for a potential child killer? I’m not, and I’m no longer rooting for Walt. Jesse needs to know that Walt almost killed his surrogate son and let his girlfriend die. Walt is a horrible man.

• Ava says:

I’ve always been astounded that people say Walt was ever a good guy. From the start he was shady and he just got shadier. Who says he has to be a good guy? Why can’t the lead be the antagonist? I have always thought it was really Jesse’s story. He is the one who was evolved.

• seattlejohn says:

actually Walt (and Jesse and Gus) have been poisoning who knows how many thousands of children for years with super-potent crystal meth, leading to addiction, fatal overdoses, jailtime, mental breakdowns, violent crime, stealing, breaking up families, creating havoc/paranoia/rage/dysfunction…plus weren’t there children on the plane that blew up? Wasn’t Jesse’s girlfriend who Walt let OD not much more than a child herself? And wasn’t Jesse a teen when they partnered up? And what of Jesse’s buddy Walt tied up and killed in the 1st season in the basement? Or Jesse’s friend dealing for them who got killed in a drive-by who was targeted because he worked for Walt? Why were you EVER rooting for Walt or Jesse other than the show’s writers and actors have artfully manipulated our emotions and hopes for these characters, though the last season should get totally down and dirty as they strip away any lighthearted veneer left over and expose these folks for the monsters who they have become.

• shmrck14 says:

Are you kidding? I will be so annoyed if BB ends without Jesse finding out about Jane and Brock. I loved the Walt and Jesse partnership but Walt has betrayed Jesse in a way that is absolutely unforgivable and there is no going back to the feeling of S1-2. Too much has happened to both characters.

15. Mark says:

Bogus writing. Walt couldn’t possibly have depended on this scenario: Poison kid with berries sometime after his departure from the desert scene with Gus but before his panic attack visit to Saul’s office in which he eventually failed at trying to disappear permanently. Doesn’t fit. Saul’s bodyguard couldn’t have lifted one cigarette during that brief encounter with Jesse a day earlier, and which would’ve been before Walt knew he had to do it. Besides this; Walt would have to somehow know that Jesse would’ve ran to him for help and that he’d be able to convince Jesse that it was Gus. Bad job by Gilligan by also leaving Mike out of the picture (in school, that would require an “Incomplete” grading on the assignment). A show with great potential, but terrible writing and directing.

• who are you says:

Your comment is ridiculous. This is the show with the best writing and directing on TV. But somehow there are people who find a flaw in everything. Maybe you are the problem. At least be honest to yourself!

• remmez says:

I agree, you are the flaw

• pria says:

I agree the writing and directing on this show are amazing. However, Mark has a point that there are things that do not add up, it wasn’t made clear or explained at all. Next season might show us what happened though. In the season premiere of this season, the first scene was a prequel with Gale, BB does it often, so I hope there’s a prequel (or flashback) of Walt putting his plan in motion to poison the kid and take the ricin out of Jesse’s pack of cigs. If they don’t show us hpw it went down, I will call it bad plotting on the writers part too, quite honestly. I do need the puzzle to fit better.

• seattlejohn says:

as another poster pointed out…the documents the lawyer’s secretary was shredding was a school schedule and information, implying Saul’s henchmen got the poison berries to the kid at his school (also making it impossible for Brock to finger Walt); and I’ve read elsewhere about a specific clip detailing the ricin cigarette being lifted…so the writers had it all there but in more subtle ways than expected (like Walt spinning the gun and it pointing at the Lady of the Valley bush, only becoming significant much later)

16. Nick says:

@ Matt Mitovich: As Colleen pointed out, it was Tyrus – not Mike – that informed Gus about Tio’s meeting @ the DEA office.

@ Posters: In regards to all the speculation as to when Jesse’s ricin-laced “lucky” cigarette (remember how the lucky cigarette is placed upside-down in the cigarette pack to signify its difference) was lifted from him, I don’t believe that Walt took it during the smoke before the storm.

Had Walt done so, he would have had to not only take the lucky cigarette, but then take another one and turn it upside down all in one slight-of-hand motion. These leaps of logic mean Walt had the time to fiddle and fuss around with replacement lucky cigarette during that heart-to-heart encounter with Jesse outside the lab.

The reason that the lucky cigarette has significance is that later on in that episode, Jesse refers back to the lucky cigarette while @ Gus’s house for dinner.

*IF* Walt did in fact take the cigarette, it was done off-camera, or in a scene with a different perspective then what the audience was given.

17. Durr says:

Ummm durrrr…. This show is called Breaking Bad and the entire point of the show is for them to transform Walt into a villain. If you aren’t willing to watch when they do that… Why did you start watching the show in the first place?

18. Justin Luke says:

What about Walt sending the old lady into his house first to see if the coast was clear? That was foul. The Walt character is a coward and giving a kid poison berries ain’t too cool either.

Great episode but after seeing Jessie Kick Walt’s ass and the poison and old lady decoy I cant really root for Walt much more.

19. remmez says:

The endscene is known already.. Or was it just a piece of fiction that we saw walt and jesse in a zipped bodybag in front of the White recidence somewhere in season two or three.

I believe the end will be western: Young Guns] that Billy and the kid will die on their own envirement by a someone they forgot. Now if that’s the DEA or even Mike. I don’t know. But they will go down.

• TigerNightmare says:

Wow, you’re really not paying attention. Those body bags in that season 2 episode teaser were red herrings meant to make you think about who those two people were. It turns out that they were victims of the mid-air collision. I don’t know how you can bring this up over two years after that happened and still think it’s relevant.

20. Valerie Tower says:

Best. Show. Ever.

21. Walt Fan says:

I’ll always be on Walt’s side because the way I see it he’s just doing what he has to do for himself and his family. He wasn’t going to give Gus or anyone else a chance to kill them so he killed them instead. As much as I’m a fan of the bond between Walt and Jesse I’ll be team Walt over Jesse because Jesse basically turned his back on Walt so he did what he needed to do. However I really hope the writers don’t have Jesse/Walt showdown that would be totally lame imo

22. Broll the American says:

Anyone notice Walt was wearing a bright green button down shirt at the end. The same kind of shirt he wore during his initial cook session with Jesse. Full circle.

23. rrs0426 says:

Un-frakkin’-believable. Seeing Walt triumph like that, his whole transformation over the course of the series froma submissive, downtroddden, whipped dog to a master manipulator and badass was so satisfying. He did what had to be done, he plannedit perfectly and he wasn’t afraid to break the eggs it took to make the omelette. I’m just wondering wher they can go from here, I feel it would have been a perfect ending for the series. All I can say is he better het rid of that flower pot in tha backyard and look the hell out for Mike.

24. Adam says:

I am confused by this finale, why did Walt poison Brock? was it to keep Jesse at the hospital? How does poisoning Brock help Walt protect his family?

• Damon says:

No, he poisoned Brock in order to get Jesse on his side as he blamed Gus. Gus had been known to take any course of action to get what he wanted, no matter the casualties, Walt played on that and got what he wanted: Jesse’s loyalty, trust and companionship.

• kalvarnsen says:

Walt poisoned Brock to manipulate Jesse into believing that Gus poisoned Jesse.

Walt bummed the cigarette of Jesse the night before Brock was poisoned. Jesse said he checked the pack that morning and the cigarette was there. In the link that Josh posted http://i.imgur.com/UmDqw.gif Huell sticks his left hand in his pocket after frisking Jesse. That is where the cigarette was lifted. Yeah, it was a sloppy interaction, but Huell might be a great pickpocket.

25. john s says:

Breaking Bad will definitely remain in my top 5 greatest television productions of all time. Very much like The Shield, this show serves to remind us that the road to hell is initially paved with good intentions- then completely spirals out of control. In Walt’s deluded mind, he believes he’s won the battle. He couldn’t be more wrong. The final season will, no doubt, underscore the consequences brought about by violence and deception. Breaking Bad will never end with a warm and fuzzy conclusion.

26. Dani says:

Oh wow you’re right. I’m guessing it’s symbolic of him pretending to himself that he’s back to where he started. He’s not though. He’s changed who he is by the actions he’s taken. Gilligan has always maintained that this is a morality tale and just like Gus he’ll get his comeuppance. Still threats from Hank, Jesse and even his cancer.

27. allie8 says:

I loved this finale. So awesome to have a show wrap up so many questions – not a cliffhanger but still leaves the fans wanting more. Not sure why there is a debate about the lily of the valley plant. The writers clearly want us to understand that this was Walt’s plan. Between the closing scene in this episode and the Russian roulette scene that ended with the gun pointed at the plant in a previous episode it is obvious. For those that no longer “like” Walt – this show has never had a sympathetic character, imo. ALL of the characters (except maybe the baby, lol) are deeply flawed. This bugged me at first but the writers do such an EXCELLENT job with the intricacies of these unlikable people… I just love it. Can’t wait to see the surprises for next season!

28. Beyond Brilliant says:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. It was obvious from the opening scene of season 1, episode 1, with Walt standing in the desert next to the crashed RV pointing a gun at what he expected would soon be materializing police cars that he was crossing serious lines between things good and bad people are willing to do. Even for the fact that he started out as wanting to provide for his family, this was the least destructive way a man of his intelligence came up with to acheive that?

How many people is he directly, or quite near directly responsible for killing? Two idiots in the desert (one actually later at Jesse’s Aunt’s house), Tuco’s muscle then Tuco’s right-hand man and finally Tuco himself, Jane and the planeloads of people her distraught father misdirect as a result, Combo, Brock’s older brother, Gus’s dealers who offed him, he sent Jesse after the junkies who ripped them off and one was killed and that was just the first two seasons.

Aside from first or second-hand murder, he used, manipulated, lied to, controlled and put the family he supposedly cared so much about on countless occassions, talked down at anyone he deemed less intelligent than himself, used, lied about his “Gray Matter” friends and solved that problem literally telling them to F-off, intimidated people, stole, falsely imprisoned, drove recklessly repeatedly, blew up a gas station without regard for public safety, insulted law enforcement, was jealous of his son’s success and angry about not being recognized for his own evil success.

At no point did I ever believe Walt was decent and that said, he still manages to surprise me with the new levels of depravity he is regularly attaining.

I love the show. I wondered why I would want to keep watching it without the main character having any real redeeming qualities but up until the point that Jesse murdered Gale, I thought he was the one being redeemed. Even so, he murdered Gale with a sense of loyalty to Walt seemingly his primary motivation and while Walt tries to justify everything after the facts, Jesse is the one who struggles with the things they’ve done and more times than not, with the possible exception of continuing to produce the meth (though self-preservation could very well be his motivation since being re-enlisted in Fring’s lab). He’s tried to clean-up and at this season’s end, is clean and sober, tried to make amends, all along the way showing signs of decency, essentially saving the small boy from the junkies, standing up to Gus over the killing of Brock’s brother before he even knew it was Brock’s brother, caring for his aunt, taking a rap for his younger brother when he had a legitimate chance to make things better for himself and all while the on again, off again addiction plagued him.

Even if Jesse is not redeemed, I appreciate his struggle and that he at least tries to atone. Whereas Walt is clearly interested in no one but himself beyond what use others are to him, Jesse still appears to be a decent person at heart who unfortunately made and continued to make bad choices. I also appreciate the story-telling. If you like the show, why can’t you appreciate for nothing else but the masterful, intricate story-telling? It’s fantasy. It is surely representative of situations in the real world but I feel more prepared to deal with the real world situations as a result of watching this show. You cannot solve a problem before you understand it.

BB is Beyond Brilliant and it is going to be a long fall, winter and spring before it is back and a bittersweet day next summer when it climaxes and I’m assuming that they can hit yet another climax. I don’t so much care what becomes of Walt unless he has an epiphany like no other at the end and maybe kills himself but I think he’s too far gone. I’d like a ‘happy’ ending for Jesse though.

29. steve says:

excellent deduction.

30. ckliemt says:

I have a question.. Did Walt ever pay for that plate glass window?

31. cheri says:

As the neighbor checks for the possible ‘gas-lit stove’ in Walt’s house we recall seeing two men (who work under Gus) exiting Walt’s backyard. I believe Gus ordered them to take the flower from Walt’s backyard and somehow get it to the kid, making Jesse believe Walt was the killer (because ultimately it was his plant). Walt wouldn’t go as far as poisoning a kid – and as we know from the past, Gus had taken advantage of an 11 year old in his strategic ways of dealing.

“Keep your friends close but your enemies closer” – Gus believed this reality in so many ways. He tormented his greatest enemy, Sr. Salamanca, by regularly visiting his nursery home and then bringing news of his dead family and business.