Fox Renews The Simpsons for Two More Years

Fans of Homer, Marge and family can breathe a sigh of relief. Fox has renewed The Simpsons for two more seasons, the network announced Friday evening.

After a contract standoff between the voice cast and Fox that threatened to end the long-running animated comedy, the show will now return for a 24th and 25th season. By the end of the 25th season, The Simpsons will have produced 559 episodes as the longest-running comedy in TV history.

The Simpsons, which will mark its 500th episode in February 2012, returns with new episodes on Oct. 30 at 8/7c, beginning with “Treehouse of Horrors XXII.”

1. Marcus Dixon says:

Awesome! TV wouldn’t be the same without ‘em.

• Sean says:

Really? TV wouldn’t be the same without them? Jeez how would we know, as they have been shoving it down our throats for over 20 years. Just end it already.

• ultimate troll says:

Shoving? Down? Throat? Oh, I get it. You just don’t know how to not watch something if you so choose.

Those buttons on your remote will actually change the channel. Don’t fear the buttons Sean.

• Julie says:

If you don’t like don’t watch. Other real fans will.

• brentbent says:

Why are so many people obsessed with ‘having things shoved down their throats’ when it comes to things that are choices? Don’t like The Simpsons? Change the channel. Nothing is being shoved down your throat other than your own self-righteousness.

2. Reg says:

Is fox full of idiots? Treehouse of Horror isnt plural, and the mistake is in their own press release. It has been a fixture of their network for 20 years, you’d think they could get it right.

3. chicken little says:

“The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Ow wait, no it isn’t, we are all just drama queens”

Must we really endure this every couple of years from Actors? Really?

• Jason says:

Endure what? The actors make the show. They deserve to be compensted. Not just the suits.

• Ginger says:

The actors work for the show. The owner gets to make the big money. If they aren’t happy with their astronomical salary, then leave. There are thousands of other actors who will do it and probably for way less.

• Mary Ann says:

A – everyone gets to make money
          B – astronomical salaries? no, astronomical is the amount of revenue the show has generated
          C – there are thousands of actors who would do it for way less and be awful
          D – I like your red hair

• Ben says:

The problem is, that revenue isn’t sitting round in a bank account called ‘Simpson’s profits’ just waiting to be distributed. It’s already been used. Agreeing to a share of the profits at season 23 means Fox would have to find a large payout from somewhere. The whole revenue argument, while not unreasonable in principle, was simply never going to fly at season 23.

• Jamin says:

Business intricacies aside – Fox would just have to let go some of their own points in the show. I doubt there’s much more profit participation beyond Fox execs, Groening, Simon and Brooks. Either way it’s not like Fox doesn’t have as a corporate entity a huge percentage of that revenue post network airing to consider playing with.
            It’s not like Shearer would have been asking for more than a fraction of a percentage point.

• Jamin says:

I think I see what you’re thinking. Shearer was not asking for a *retroactive* share of the profits. He just wanted to trade his salary for a share of the profits earned of the future sales and syndication of the next two seasons.

4. Snapy says:

Thank Jebus!! This is my favourite comedy of all time.

5. John Berggren says:

25 seems like the right number to me. Then get to work on a final theatrical film.

• Snapy says:

Right number for what? Surely you’re not suggesting the show should end. As long as the actors are willing and able, keep The Simpsons going for as long as possible. I want at least another ten years of The Simpsons.

• J says:

as much as I love the show as well, I hope that if these are the last 2 seasons the show will go back to what it was a couple years ago. Strong witty writing and a stable plot to hold the episode together.

6. Lon says:

Come on. I started watching this around 1992. And I loved and followed it for years. But I haven’t even watched one episode since 2001, or so. Can’t they just end this already?

• Snapy says:

Well it’s not all about you, Lon. There are plenty of us who still love The Simpsons and watch it religiously every Sunday. Why should we lose our show because someone who stopped watching 10 years ago doesn’t like it anymore? Does its existence threaten you in some way?

• Liz says:

I agree with Snapy. I watch this show every once in a while but still get a kick out of it. But people like my brother still watch every Sunday and they can’t just cancel for a couple of people. Plus because its been on for so long it pick up a new audience all the time.

7. Olivia says:

I loved this show and grew up with it, I dont watch it anymore but dont see an issue with it continuing, it doesnt affect my day to day life. Another generation of kids will grow up watching it, its been a family fixture for years. So to everyone bitching its still on, get over it.

8. Danny says:

The good: the series is cultural icon, a touchstone. TV would feel different without it. It’s one of the rare series to debut before the year 2000 (NBC’s “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” is another; I’m referring scripted fare, too–not newsmagazines). And the comedy still scores top-notch guest voices.

The bad: the greedy, self-serving, money-hungry [voice] actors. In this economy, their actions are shameful. Also, the series is far from its heyday.

• Charlotte says:

Yeah, God forbid that people try to negotiate a contract for themselves. Who the hell do they think they are thinking they should have a say in the terms of their employment contract? And of course, since you believe the series is “far from its heyday,” the actors are shameful for seeking better terms. You’re pathetic.

• joe says:

Umm because it doesn’t work that way. Well at least for tens of millions of workers. You don’t get to go cry to public that you deswrve more because your firm made money. You have a job, a salary, and if you don’t like it, then you csn leave.At least that is how 95 percent of Amwrica works,,,

• Razor says:

Uhh… people ask for raises everyday. Used to get them too, until employers got the upper hand and can now just say “you’re lucky to have a job at all.”

• joe says:

There is a huge difference between going into the boss’ office and asking for a raise, and whining in public about wantng a raise and how you deserve one or you are walking.

The former has some class, the latter has none.

9. Matt says:

The Simpsons hasn’t been funny in well over 10 years.

Let it die.

• Snapy says:

First of all, the Simpsons never stopped being funny.
      Secondly, there are many of us who want to see the series continue. If you don’t watch the show anymore, your opinion is rendered moot and invalid.

• jb says:

But it is the same joke, for 22 years now. Sure they change the situation around, but in the end it is for the same laugh over the same character flaws.

I guess I am just the move on type, than the hang around type, if things are juzt goung to be the same ole.

10. Carlyle says:

I think it’s quite revolting that when so many Americans are struggling to live day to day that these people argued for so long over money. Even at the reduced amount of pay they earn more per episode than some people would earn in a decade all for just reading something someone else wrote. Really, truly appalling and all of them should be quite ashamed of themselves. Hopefully karma will come and bite them when they least expect it.

11. Zeitgeist says:

I am not a fan of this show, but when I told my hardcore loyal friend of this news, she literally had tears in her eyes and jumped with joy. This show has been going on since before she was born and I found it fascinating that she had that much love for a cartoon which I think is crap! So, I am indifferent to this news, but very happy for my friend.

12. Julie says:

The idea of the show turning 25 as I turn 25 sounds awesome. I’ve grew up with them literally and I want to keep growing with them. Yes the show has lost some of its awesomeness (the real awesome was when Conan was still a producer on the show god bless him) but whatever the case my only wish for this show is that it won’t get cancelled (unless something bad happens to one of the voice actor… I wouldn’t want Homer to be voice by anyone but Dan); have it go as long as it can with a finale movie. That’s what I want!

13. brentbent says:

Hooray for two more years of The Simpsons! And good for the talent negotiating to get more money seeing how they are the ones who have helped Fox earn billions and billions of dollars from their work. If Fox thought they could axe the actors and bring in different ones and maintain their ratings and loyal fan base they would have done so but they didn’t because they know the value of their talent. That’s exactly how capitalism is supposed to work. Comments like “they should be happy they are getting paid more than most people” is how socialism works.

14. Red says:

Simpsons,simpsons simpsons !! WOO HOO..ya tv wouldnt be the same without the SIMPSONS got to have my simpsons!!