The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching This Thursday

On TV this Thursday: Leslie Knope lets loose with a page-turner, Grey’s Anatomy delivers an aggressive injection of testosterone, and The League resumes play. The people have spoken and we’ve gone daily* with the TVLine-Up, so here are our picks for the day.

*NOTE: With a new era comes new parameters. In its daily incarnation, the TVLine-Up will of course flag big premieres/finales as well as cite “noteworthy” regular episodes (i.e. those that we know or have heard to be standouts, boast interesting guest stars, or possess some other intangible “fun” factor). And during these first weeks of the fall, I’ll also invite you to give new shows a second look. Lastly, as the author, I am wholly entitled to lob out the occasional wild card, JUST BECAUSE.

8 pm Community (NBC) | The study group is torn over how they should pair off for their first big biology class assignment. Fine, twist my arm — I’ll go with Britta.

8 pm The Big Bang Theory (CBS) | Switched at Birth‘s Katie LeClerc plays a Deaf spinning class pal of Penny’s who just may be the answer to Raj’s romantic woes. Or not. (Read TVLine’s preview here.)

8 pm The Vampire Diaries (The CW) | A new enemy forces Damon to lash out in a way that will have lasting consequences; Jeremy has a breakthrough with one of his ghostly visitors that leaves him more confused than ever; and Bonnie has a strange encounter that will affect everyone.

8:30 pm Parks and Recreation (NBC) | Leslie’s book about Pawnee is published just in time for her campaign. Let’s just hope it doesn’t have any egregious errors in it. Actually, let’s do hope for that. Better comedy that way!

8:30 pm How to Be a Gentleman (CBS) | Last week, TVLine readers gave this newbie a solid grade of “D.” So… in the spirit of offering a second chance to prove TVLine-Up “worth,” this week you can watch Bert teach Andrew how to pull off a one-night stand.

Secret Circle Stars Tease this Week’s ‘Dark and Scary’ Episode: ‘Faye Starts Going a Little Mad’

9 pm The Office (NBC) | When the warehouse guys up and quit after winning the lottery, it prompts the rest of Dunder Mifflin to ponder their own “What if…” scenarios — as well as, you know, search for new warehouse employees.

9 pm Person of Interest (CBS) | As Reese infiltrates a crime ring — and even takes part in a heist — Detective Carter (Taraji P. Henson) inches closer to finding him out.

9 pm Grey’s Anatomy (ABC) | This “all about the men” hour finds the docs dealing with a rush of comic-book convention injuries, Mark coddling baby Sofia while continuing to spank Jackson, and “gas man” Ben (Jason George) realizing that Nurse Eli has moved in on Bailey.

NBC Grants Full-Season Orders to Whitney and Up All Night

10 pm Private Practice (ABC) | IVF superstar Dr. Jake Riley (Benjamin Bratt) throws his hat in the ring when the practice looks to fill Nay’s spot. Guess who’s opposed to the idea?

10 pm The Mentalist (CBS) | Kelli Williams sends Lie to Me fans back into mourning by guest-starring here as a former client of Jane’s.

10 pm Prime Suspect (NBC) | After her father’s bar is robbed, Jane gives the cold shoulder to the female cop (Miami Vice‘s Elizabeth Rodriguez) working the case. And it just hit me that two 10 o’clock shows have characters named Jane!

10 pm It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX) | I was set to give the show a bye this week, but how can you resist these five words: Dee’s audited, fake baby funeral.

10:30 pm The League (FX) | Dirty Randy finally makes an appearance, played by big-screen funny man Seth Rogen.

What will you be watching this Thursday?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Snapy says:

The Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle FTW!!! Thank you, CW!!!

• Snapy says:

In case you are wondering why I am thanking the CW, I am just grateful there is a network out there who cares about viewers under 30 and has made us their targeted, most-desired demo. The CW is a network where I enjoy the majority of their line-up because they aim their shows at people like me who are around my age. You don’t get that with other networks like NBC or CBS. So thank you again CW for putting the under-30s first!

• satirex says:

The other nets don’t do that because to make the shows that so directly appeal to that demo, they have to make stupid, shallow programs that offend everyone else, and the other nets want larger audiences. The CW is a tiny net struggling along on everyone else’s leavings, like a dung beetle.

• Snapy says:

Except you’re wrong. Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries, Ringer and The Secret Circle are some of the smartest, cleverest-written shows on television. You’re missing out by being a close-minded douche.

2. kt says:

WHY would you choose Britta to pair up with?

3. Alice says:

I’m digging Secret Circle this year-I think the parent melodrama keeps it from becoming to teen/whiney for the older demographic. I hope they keep it around. That and Hart of Dixie. They are the only CW shows I watch since they cancelled Hellcats.

4. Chmarin says:

THE LEAGUE, baby!!! :D

5. A says:

Pfft! This girl’s tuning into Hockey Night in Canada. First game of the regular season. Sorry, primetime, you’ve been replaced.

6. Chrissy says:

If Dirty Randy shows up, don’t let him in, he preys on the weak.

7. Templar says:

BBT, History of the World in Two Hours on the history channel [in the style of Barenaked Ladies]. And DVR The Mentalist.

8. Alicia says:

Grey’s Anatomy and The Mentalist–a battle of the curled coifs.
    Whose hair reigns supreme in the land of pretty; Shepherd or Jane? :D

9. XK says:

Community + Parks and Recreation for me.

Prime Suspect has already lost me as a viewer.

10. Amy says:

for me, thursdays are all about Community! i also look forward to Person of Interest now

11. SK says:

Vampire Diaries and Big Bang Theory! Might DVR How to Be a Gentleman again, but I thought last week’s was pretty weak.

12. satirex says:

I’m having trouble getting the image of Mark spanking Jackson on Grey’s out of my head.

13. FragglesRock says:

Big Bang, The Vampire Diaries & Secret Circle because my husband and I both love those shows. He’ll watch Community when he can & I have to watch Grey’s & Private Practice later without him.

14. intelliwoman says:

The CW does indeed target those under 30, and their programming shows exactly why they are successful with that demographic – shallow, poor writing, casting for looks, dumbing down women, advocating violence, etc. Its a perfect example of what most under 30’s are like.

• Snapy says:

Spoken like a true bitter, old farthead.

Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries are two of the smartest, best-written shows on tv. If you can’t see that, turn off the TV and read a Charlotte Bronte novel.

• Rizza says:

Really? Blair Waldorf was an epitome of strong, smart and sophisticated young woman… And Gossip Girl is one of the shows on TV that showcases the importance of family in the life of the youth today….

15. Lisa says:

Matt: You forgot THE SECRET CIRCLE

16. Lisa says:

I will be watching:

Vampire Diaries
    Parks & Rec
    The Secret Circle

17. kevin says:

Still praying for CHARLIE’S ANGELS tonight but next week’s episode has Erica Durance in it and the reboot is awaiting their fate still and possibly in jeopardy of getting the ax or what worries me the most a full season order.

18. Jenny says:

No love for Charlie’s Angels?

19. Becca says:

As much as I love Britta I would have to go with Annie since she has a higher GPA and I care about the grade I would get.

20. Jenn says:

No offense to all the amazing shows on tonight (I mean Thursday is the best night on TV). This night is all about the return of the NHL and the raising of the Stanley Cup Banner for my Boston Bruins!!! Been waiting for this moment almost my entire life!!! I will of course DVR TVD and GA but no question the TV in my house will be glued to Versus HD!!! I’ll watch the rest tomorrow ;)

21. Erika says:

X-Factor 7-9
    Jersey Shore 9-10

I will be watching online:
    Person of Interest
    Grey’s Anatomy
    The Vampire Diaries
    The Office

I wish I had a DVR :(

22. Joan says:

I’m glad the gas man is back. The nurse creeps me out a little. Expecting Derek to be his normal McAss self and if Mark starts talking baby talk when Owen is around I don’t blame him if that’s who he punches. Although this is marketed as a boy’s episode, I’m sure we will get, what must now be mandatory in every episode, another Meredith smack down.