Ringer Scoop: Buffy Vet Lands Guest Spot!

Get More: Casting News, News

The CW is staging its second Buffy reunion of the season.

Former Sunnydale denizen Amber Benson (who played Willow’s soulmate, Tara) has landed a guest spot on Sarah Michelle Gellar’s film noir thriller Ringer, TVLine has confirmed. The actress will show up in Episode 10 as play Mary Curtis, an informant (and stripper!) for Nestor Carbonell’s Agent Machado.

TVGuide.com first reported the news.

The CW’s Supernatural will also host a Buffyverse rendezvous on Oct. 21 when Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters appear as an unhappily married couple.

Which Hellmouth redux are you most excited to see?

Comments (30)

• YEAH!!!! I loved amber benson as tara and in supernatural. I am excited

Comment by sdfasfd – October 6, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • best news EVER! Now if only they could get Willow, Xander Angel, Spike and Anya on there :P lol
    or i’ll settle for Amber Benson on himym

Comment by t.t – October 6, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you. I would love to see Amber on HIMYM. Even if she simply passed Alyson’s character in the bar and they just sort of stopped to look at each other familiarly. I know Lily’s already once declared that she’d never had a girl-on-girl kiss (just before Robin gave her a little kiss of encouragement), but I can dream. ;o)

Comment by Lefty88 – October 11, 2011 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Their only significant scene together was in The Body. But, what a heartbreaking scene that was.

Comment by Steven – October 6, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Remember when Buffy confesses her relationship with Spike to Tara? And she wants to know what’s wrong with her, and Tara tells her nothing is wrong with her… that was an amazing scene, the two of them were fantastic.

Comment by Alex – October 6, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would absolutely love it if Juliet’s – Siobahn’s stepdaughter’s – mother was played by Charisma Carpenter.

Comment by Summer – October 6, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!!! that would be perfect!!!

and Anthony Stewart Head should play Andrew’s father…there’s a 19 year age difference between him and Ioan, so i think it could work.

Comment by ZmaX – October 6, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Considering that Free Agents just got cancelled, his schedule might be wide open!

Comment by Summer – October 6, 2011 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Buffy lives.

Comment by Vitor – October 6, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very cool. I wouldn’t be surprised if Michelle Trachtenberg eventually guest stars. She and SMG seem to be close friends. I never really liked Dawn, but it would be cool to see as many “Buffy” alums on the show as possible.

Comment by Carrie – October 6, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of all the BUFFY vets, James Marsters and Alison Hannigan seemed to have fared the best, he of SMALLVILLE,she of HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER.

Sarah will do well with this show,and the CW is being more generous with her than other stars in its stable; mainly,without her and BUFFY,the CW WOULD NOT EVEN EXIST.

Technically,it DID start out as the WB.

Comment by JEREMY – October 6, 2011 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • David Boreanaz?

Comment by Buffy Freak – October 6, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, David Boreanaz’s career has been just as successful as Alyson Hannigan’s, considering they both scored leading roles on other series.

Comment by Summer – October 6, 2011 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sorry to burst your bubble, but Hannigan doesn’t have a leading role. If she was up for an Emmy it would be for supporting role. whereas Boreanaz does have a leading role, so if we’re gonna say “person x did better than person y”, Boreanaz did the best.

Comment by Eli – October 7, 2011 01:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You could look at it that way … or how the shows do in the ratings to gage success. I don’t know the answer but its another way of looking at it.

My criteria is – are they still working? Both Hannigan and Boreanz are constantly working as leads in other series (I’d consider Hannigan a lead since its an ensemble comedy.) Julie Benz (Darla) had a long-time role supporting on Dexter and a lead role on No Ordinary Family and guest stars a lot. Marc Blucas (Riley) did a lot of second-rate horror movies and now has Necessary Roughness. Carpenter and Marsters have also been working a lot as guest actors (just saw Carpenter on Burn Notice). Anthony Head did several series in England and was just on Free Agents. Felicia Day is doing a long arc on Eureka, regularly guest stars on sci-fi series, and has her The Guild series. Michelle Tractenburg does movies and was a regular on another series (I forget which one).

I haven’t seen Amber Benson in a while on my TV screen, nor Nicholas Brendan (Xander), nor Emma Caulfield (Anya), nor Juliet Landau (Drusilla).

Comment by Snsetblaze – October 7, 2011 10:37 AM PDT
          • No bubbles to burst here – but she has worked consistently, and has a good part in an ensemble comedy. Maybe she’s not a headliner, but she’s got a pretty great role, regardless. It’s not like she’s a recurring character or anything.

But that wasn’t my point – I was just saying that Boreanaz’s career has also been going well after Buffy and Angel ended.

Comment by Summer – October 7, 2011 12:57 PM PDT
          • Nicholas has been on Criminal Minds. His character seems to be (of all familiar things to him) a lovable computer geek.

Comment by Lefty88 – October 11, 2011 04:02 PM PDT
  • Seth Green’s also done very well since “Buffy”.

Comment by aleksa – October 6, 2011 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh yeah – forgot about him.

Comment by Snsetblaze – October 7, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as an an undying, devoted btvs fan, i must say that, as an actress, amber benson was kind of awful. here’s hoping she got better in the interim years!

Comment by bob – October 6, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Heaven help me…no. Not on the things I’ve seen her in. I love her, but no.

Comment by Lefty88 – October 11, 2011 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And who did the worst? Poor Nicholas Brendan, who got tased (sp?) by the cops for drinking and punching a police officer. Not good.

Comment by Kim – October 7, 2011 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While unfortunate, that event doesn’t exactly sum up his professional career. He’s had a recurring role on Criminal Minds.

Comment by Lefty88 – October 11, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No it is like Friends they are all equally important. Ther has been whole eps where about the only thing you hear from Ted is the voice over so I really don’t think you can say he is the sole purpose. Last weeks ep we didn’t even get a voice over it was told by Robin!

Comment by Jamie – October 7, 2011 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would love to see David Boreanaz and James Masters reunite on Bones. Those two made the 5th season of Angel awesome.

Comment by chrisj – October 7, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • now if we can only get Sarah Michelle Gellar to guest star on SUPERNATURAL

Comment by johnB – October 14, 2011 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • alyson hannigan does have an emmy for himym.

Comment by teddy510 – October 14, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE RINGER! And I am soooo excited for this episode!! Sarah had success after Buffy with The Scooby Doo films and The Grudge films, TMNT, and critical praise in The Return, The Air I Breathe, and Veronika Decides to Die.

Comment by Nathan – November 8, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love Amber Benson to land a main spot on Glee as a co-director of New Directions (without a Will-Emma-Amber love triangle). Remember “Under Your Spell” in Buffy? It would be very nice to let her shine once more because she hasn’t been seen much these days since Buffy (aside from Supernatural).

Comment by red – November 8, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If we’re going to measure the Buffy cast by success; I think we should go by them playing a regular role in a series that has lasted more than two seasons or having appeared in a number of blockbuster movies. If you go by that; I think its safe to say that David Boreanaz, Alyson Hannigan, Seth Green and Anthony Stewart Head have been the breakout stars from Buffy as they all have long running shows on television (Bones, How I Met Your Mother, Family Guy and Merlin). Alyson and Seth were once big in movies but that seems to have died down a bit on them recently and Sarah Michelle Gellar and Michelle Trachtenberg have had moderate success movie wise. Either way, I don’t care…as long as the Buffy cast are happy where they are and get some good rules!

It’s a shame more of the Angel cast haven’t done well. Amy Acker is definitely too talented to fade away into obscurity.

Comment by Seán – November 19, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post