Ratings: Criminal Minds Pops, Survivor Hits Low

Criminal Minds this week edged out reigning champ Modern Family to emerge as Wednesday’s most watched program.

The CBS crime drama gained 6 percent week-to-week to deliver 13.34 million total viewers and a 3.8 demo rating, while ABC’s Family (13.1 mil/5.6) still dominated the night’s demos.

Going hour-by-hour….

8 pm | X Factor‘s first round of Boot Camp averaged 11.5 million total viewers and a 3.9 rating, down only a few points from last week. Survivor (10.5 mil/3.1) dipped 3 percent to an all-time demo low, followed by ABC’s sitcombo of The Middle (9 mil/2.7) and Suburgatory (9.1 mil/3.0, down 9 percent from debut).

NBC’s Up All Night (5.7 mil/2.2) was up 5 percent, while Free Agents (3.28 mil/1.0) drew a few more eyeballs while staying flat at an abysmal demo rating. The CW’s H8R cratered again (1.15 mil/0.4), plunging 33 percent in the demo.

Survivor: South Pacific: Would You Have Said ‘Yes’ to Coach’s Hug?

9 pm | Trailing Criminal Minds and Modern Family, Harry’s Law inched up 6 percent to hit a season-high audience of 8.22 million total viewers, but failed to improve on its meager 1.2 rating. At 6.92 mil and a 2.9, Happy Endings dipped 6 percent.

Airing after X Factor at 9:30, a “bonus” Raising Hope (6.2 mil/2.3) shed nearly half of its lead-in, and in fact was down 21 percent in the demo from this week’s aprés-New Girl outing. Top Model held steady at 1.7 mil/0.8.

The X Factor Boot Camp Recap: How to Make an American (Idol) Quilt

10 pm | CSI (11.8 mil/2.9) slipped a smidge with the 18-49 crowd but still led the hour in both measures. SVU (7.9 mil/2.1) gained 9 percent in total audience, while ABC’s Revenge (7.7 mil/2.5, down 7 percent) placed second in the demo.

FX’s American Horror Story Premiere Scares Up Strong Numbers

What were you watching this Wednesday?

1. JC says:

So what time today will NBC announce the cancellation of Free Agents?

2. Alicia says:

Awesome showing for CM! Are they not the most stealthy ratings ass-kicker on TV? The show is killing it but somehow still seems to be under the radar.
    Anyway, (and you know this is coming, Matt) yesterday’s Hotch/Prentiss article confirms that there is indeed a lot of support for the pairing–in ANY incarnation. Hopefully that’ll help lift the writers’ apparent embargo on Hotch/Prentiss scenes.

3. Lisa says:

I found American Horror Story to be creepy and scary.

4. Mel says:

I’m so proud of my show…way to go CM!

This cast/crew is soooooooooooooooooooooo under appreciated!

5. Mel says:

Oh and yes to HOTCH/PRENTISS!

6. Tiffany says:

Go CM! I love it when my favorite shows exceed expectation. :-)

7. GS says:

I’m thrilled that CM is doing so well being in it’s 7th season but I’m so tired of all the people wanting a romance b/w characters. I’ve watched this show from the beginning and it would RUIN it to start trying to pair them up unless it’s with people outside the core group. If that’s why you’re watching, you just don’t get the show. There are plenty of shows out there for that but leave my favorite show alone!

• Kvivik says:

Agreed. I really loved the Will/JJ ‘romance’ cause we didn’t see all the weekends she spent in New Orleans, we just saw what was relevant to JJ’s character.
      Same with Penelope and Kevin.
      If romances happen, keep the significant other OUT of the BAU.
      Besides, FBI is very non-fraternization, so Hotch would NEVER get involved with a fellow agent.

• Alicia says:

It’s funny how some like to claim Hotch would NEVER do such and such a thing–because he’s apparently so by the book.
        Hello, he let Elle slide after she murdered a suspect, helped conceal Reid’s drug addiction, and beat a man to death (granted it was Foyet).
        But he’s such a stickler for rules he’d never fraternize with a co-worker! One whose death he helped fake and lied to everyone about in order to ensure her safety…
        Oh those rules! *waves fist*

• Carm says:

I agree. I watch for the creepy killer stories not for love stories. There are plenty of other shows for that.

8. Paul says:

Glad to see Harry’s Laws doing a little better, I really like this season. I hope NBS gives Free Agents more time to groww, however, it could loose some of the supporting guys, as they really don’t add much. However, Natasha L. is a hoot, give her more screen time w/ Hank A.

9. nitemar says:

American Horror Story soo creepy, those basement scenes way too scary. Connie was awesome in the kitchen scenes. Can’t wait for the next!:) What with the rubber man/thing? I said this before, but please dont make this Rosemary ‘s Baby Part II.

10. G. says:

Definitely agree! AHS had some creepy moments. By the way did I miss the memo, is this the 2011-12 season of the Redheads? You have (of course all are not true RH) everyone from AHS, Poppy from Unforgettable, the young actress from Suburgatory, and of course the lovely Christina H with Mad Men. Did I forget anyone? Maybe its the “new look”. I love it.

• Fido says:

there were many Redheads in the Walking Dead – though these were mostly down to gunshots so might not count in your list.

( we also had Mac’s wife in CSINY, the most gorgeous Jaime Ray Newman )

11. Joshua says:

Is it just me who thinks Up All Night could do way better than 5 million? Why have NBC put their two comedies against ABC’s comedies?! Its such a silly schedule.

12. Ele says:

YES CRIMINAL MINDS ROCKS!!!! I am so happy it is doing well. The show has an amazing cast and crew!!!! They are always tweeting and seem to get along well!!

13. Julia says:

Loved CSI yesterday! Great episode, great case, and DB is a fantastic character. It’s almost as if Laurence Fishburne was never there. Jorja Fox did an amazing job, and Ted Danson is truly cheering up the show. Missed Paul Guilfoyle’s Brass, though.

14. bamalam says:

What is it about Modern Family’s audience that they didn’t stick around for Happy Endings? More than half of them just abandoned the network. What is on the other channels that you have to catch the back half of? I mean, they didn’t leave to go see Raising Hope…

15. Ashley says:

All right, “Criminal Minds”! And I’m glad to see “Suburgatory” held fairly steady and “Up All Night” rose. I wish NBC would move UAN to Thursdays already!

16. fernando says:

Im starting to get scared for Revenge come on it’s a great show, Maybe 1 million people recored it and watched AHS but I hope next week it goes back up to 8 million, I like this show and want it to have lots of season.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, Revenge is slowing losing viewers, which is kinda sad as it’s my fave new show of the fall. And I see Happy Endings getting one; with it losing half of MF’s lead-in audience, I suspect we’ll see the return of Cougar Town sooner rather than later.

17. MJ says:

I am scared for Revenge. It is also my favorite new show. The show is awesome and there isn’t anything on like it.

My favorite line from last night “I’m not trying to ruin his career; I’m trying to ruin his life”

Awesome, awesome show!!!!

18. Annika says:

Yay for Criminal minds! My husband and I love watching it together. We agree that too much personal stuff would ruin it. (I love seeing a smiling Hotch though, he’s so sexy – don’t tell my husband I said that…) ;)

19. JJ says:

Love Criminal minds, the show have an amazing cast and crew. Thank you CBS for bring back the original team. CM is the best show on television. Keep up the good work!!!

20. mystic says:

If ABC would stop the every other week nonsense with the show or they have an ‘excuse’ like the Award shows. How convenient. The stars don’t make enough???? They have to pat themselves on the back with awards also??? Not impressed. I am guessing Revenge will keep losing viewers who like me become irritated with the every other week nonsense.