Ratings: Horror Story Scares Up Strong Numbers

FX’s American Horror Story has a good ratings tale to tell, having amassed 5 million total viewers across its premiere night on Wednesday.

Review: Does FX’s Horror Story Have the Fright Stuff?

In its initial 10 pm airing, American Horror Story spooked 3.2 million viewers, with 2.0 million falling in the coveted 18-49 category — that equals the demo rating of the series debut of Horror Story cocreator Ryan Murphy’s Nip/Tuck and is 33 percent higher than Sons of Anarchy‘s 2008 bow. Encore AHS telecasts added 1.84 million viewers and 1.2 mil adults 18-49.

“We’re really thrilled by the premiere ratings performance of American Horror Story,” FX president John Landgraf said in a statement. “We know that when the Live+7 ratings come in, that of the 13 drama series FX has premiered, AHS will rank at least No. 2 all-time in Adults 18-49 behind The Shield, and there is a possibility that it could be our highest ever.”

Thursday Broadcast Ratings: Criminal Minds Pops, Survivor Hits Low

UPDATE: It looks like Landgraf’s prediction is proving dead-on: Live+3 ratings data propelled AHS to the No. 2 spot behind The Shield among adults 18-49 and No. 1 among women 18-49. Live+7 ratings, which will likely give AHS more of a lift, are due later this month.

While Horror Story measured up well against Sons and Nip/Tuck — and more than doubled FX’s most recent drama debuts, Terriers and Lights Out — it fell shy of the total audience Justified (4.2 mil) drew a bead on in March 2010.

1. Lisa says:

If I have to watch 30+ commercials per epi again I will never ever watch it live. That was ridiculous!

Besides that, the show was creepy and scary and I thought I was going to have nightmares. I will watch again.

2. Lisa says:

It fell shy of Justified because Justified is awesome!!!

3. Jay says:

Umm..all I could think of while watching this show, was poor Connie Britton. The pilot was a complete mess, and the dialogue was so bad (the fighting scene between Connie and Dylan, and he brings up the dog…).

4. Lisa says:

I kept asking myself why the dog looked like a Gremlin.

5. nitemar says:

I could not keep my eyes off the dog! lol! Seriousloy, creepy, scary, and that’s just the first 5 minutes..those kids! and that noise one of them was making, what was that? When the scene switched to present time, I thought Dylan was going to be the kid that didnt die in that haunted house..well, got to say…speaking of Dylan, hmmm so much for those mast–ons scenes.

6. sandra says:

Would LOVE to be able to comment on this show, but am Canadian, so you know…

7. Chris says:

Does anyone know if this show will be uploaded to Hulu? I can never really manage to watch shows live, and I don’t like downloading tv shows illegally. I noticed it isn’t up yet today, and I am SUPER excited to get into this show!

• Erica says:

Not sure when or if it will end up on Hulu but FX usually does either an 8 or 30 day delay on releasing eps to Hulu depending on the show.

• Chris says:

Oh wow, that’s quite the delay! I had no idea… The only FX shows I follow are Archer and I watched a bit of Wilfred before growing bored. Is it silly that I thought they were updating the day after? Haha. Guess I’m clueless on how their scheduling works!

8. Rolfe says:

Loved it! Glad to see that it is getting off to a solid start. Can;t wait until next week. I’m sure buzz will get a lot of new viewers tuning in. Incredible! And Dylan is amazing! Connie too.

9. Guess says:

I didn’t love it but I definitely didn’t hate it either. I’ll give it a try

10. Karrie says:

I’ll watch it again but just to see Dylan McDermott, otherwise, I’d pass.

11. Mr. Television. says:

I thought it was the creeping and most competing series on television. leave it to Ryan Murphy once again push the limits of television.