NBC's Musical Midseason Smash Cues Up Nick Jonas, Bernadette Peters

NBC’s Broadway-set midseason musical drama Smash is getting a double-dose of star power: One from the Disney Channel universe, and one from the Great White Way.

The network has announced that Nick Jonas (Camp Rock, Jonas L.A.) will guest-star in the role of Lyle West, “a hot sitcom star who started his career as a child actor in a Broadway show” that was written and directed by two of the show’s core (and most argumentative) characters — Christian Borle’s Tom and Jack Davenport’s Derek.

Two-time Tony Award winner Bernadette Peters, meanwhile, has signed on to play Leigh Conroy, a one-time “theater sensation” reduced to living out her dreams through her ingenue daughter Ivy (played by series regular Megan Hilty).

Both Jonas and Peters will sing in their respective episodes.

Smash, which follows a group of Broadway types attempting to launch a musical based on the life of Marilyn Monroe, is set to premiere Monday, Feb. 6 at 10/9c. Check out a tantalizing trailer below!

1. Drew says:

This show looks interesting. I think it could very quickly make Glee look as amateurish as it really is. Yeah, I know… the kids aren’t all supposed to be stars. But it’s not the actors that look like amateurs, it’s the writers.

2. Andy says:

yayyy!!! LOVE SMASH

• Templar says:

I pushed Play expecting to hate it and was totally entranced. This is strange for me because I’m not a fan of Marilyn Monroe and it’s NBC, but The cast is superb [Messing, Houston etc.] and it has a realness that Glee never captured.

3. Beth says:

Ugh, why 10 PM on Mondays?! I wanted to watch this show but I already record Castle & H50. I guess I will check it out online to see if it’s any good.

4. bettyd says:

looks great! I will be taping H50 and watching this!

5. kristen says:

GD, Smash producers way to confuse me with your bizarre casting. I was intent on hating this show due to my immense dislike for Katherine McPhee, but then you go and cast the incomparable Bernadette Peters!! OY VEY what to do.

• marta says:

Really, you’re gonna hate on Katharine before even seeing 1 episode! Jeeze!

I’m very excited for this show and for Kat McPhee! Spielberg and Greenblatt chose her for a reason!

• kristen says:

well i DID watch her on 15+ episodes of IDOL (ya know …that little show she was on once) and I thought she seemed like a major egotist, hence the dislike. Just an opinion though. But I’ll prob give this show a chance to support those from the broadway community.

• ErixN says:

I feel the same way about Katherine McPhee. I was excited about this show when I first heard about it, but then when I head she was in it, I decided to pass. The rest of the cast should be amazing though.

• Templar says:

You can blame McPhee’s dad for her Princess ways. He doted on her so much that it colored her self perception. But, I think the last few years have taught her something about where she really stands and I’m willing to believe in her wonderful voice.

• smash williams says:

at least she’s more tolerable than lea michele

6. katie says:

Looks interesting. But since it’s on NBC I may wait to see how it does first. No point geting too invested in their shows.

• the girl says:

I hear this! I really can’t wait for this show and if I fall in love and they cancel it after three weeks I will be LIVID.
      However on the flip side if we don’t watch it, they will cancel it after three weeks. Argh.

7. Diane A. R. says:

My mouth just dropped watching the trailer… i wish it were starting sooner!

8. BeachBum says:

Whoa…now that trailer caught my attention. Maybe NBC should have put it in the 10PM spot vacated by the recently departed The Playboy Club instead of trotting out another news-of-the-day show. I like Brian Williams just fine, but c’mon, they have to have better options than that.

• miss scarlet says:

Except they don’t. I’m a bitter Law & Order fan who is still annoyed that they cancelled that show, but really, except for a few other shows NBC is a mess.

9. kathy says:

Looks interesting. Love Ms. Peters, but Mr. Slezak, you do know that Nick Jonas was on Broadway before he was ever on a Disney show or Disney movie, before there was The Jonas Brothers, right?

10. LOL says:

If it were any other contestant from American Idol, Slezak would have jumped at the chance to mention he or she in this article, given his rampant AI obsession. Too bitter to admit that he was wrong about Katharine McPhee, I guess. I’m sure he’ll jump at the chance to trash her every week when Smash finally airs, despite how good she’ll be (a la American Idol, EW days).