Grey's Anatomy First Look Video: What Is Meredith and Derek's Next Crisis?

It’s not easy being Drs. Meredith Grey and Derek Shepherd, especially during this eighth season of ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy.

Grey’s Anatomy Mystery: Where the Heck Is Lexie?

Already their only recently official marriage has been fractured by Mer’s tampering with the Alzheimer’s trial, followed by her ill-advised decision to disappear with Zola when the social worker caught wind of the prospective parents’ assorted setbacks. Indeed, no sooner had they laid hands on the dream of taking the tot into their care than she was plucked away, fate unknown.

Well, as seen in the new promo for this season’s fifth episode,”Love, Loss and Legacy,” Zola is back — and not in a way that will put a smile on Mer and Der’s faces.

Casting News: Debbie Allen Goes Grey’s as Jackson’s Mom

Press PLAY below to watch the promo for next week’s “history-making, love-making, Jackson-spanking*, pulse-pounding, life-changing” hour.

Loading video...

* These actual words did not make it into the promo but were in TVLine’s Thursday “What to Watch” list, and even I’m a bit spooked by my predictive skills.

Comments (41)

• Yay! Arizona and Alex working together again. I love scenes with those two.

Comment by sarah – October 6, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sick of Derek being such a McAss that I can hardly watch this season. If he keeps this up, I say Mer should dump his sorry ass!!

Comment by Vickie – October 6, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you so much for saying this! I thought I was the only one thinking what a jerk when watching…Like seriously dude?! You didn’t tell Mer you were married and pretty much turned her into a dirty mistress. And last week with his “the only reason I’m staying is because of the post-it.” I wish she would have kicked him out of HER house.

Comment by Amber – October 6, 2011 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He IS a jerk. I hope he doesn’t get away with it.

Comment by Ace – October 6, 2011 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What?? She almost threw his career away… He gets to be angry at least for a little while. When he pointed to the post-it, he was pointing to their COMMITMENT to each other. He wasn’t saying that it was the post-it that kept him to her, it was the commitment that they made to each other that keeps him there.

It isn’t a coincidence that he also pointed towards the diagram they have on the wall. It symbolizes the passion they share for surgery, the passion they share for life and the ways in which they met. Derek is pointing not only at the post-it and the symbol of their commitment to each other, but he is also pointing at a symbol of everything they have been through each other.

I think that Derek, honestly, gets to be angry. Meredith did something so reckless that it could have destroyed him, his career, and thus destroyed everything they had built together. She wasn’t just ruining a trial, but was also throwing away everything they had worked for together. She jeopardized the trial, their careers, their livelihood in the hospital, and their ability to legally raise Zola. He isn’t being an ass for no reason — and he didn’t try to make her a dirty mistress in season 1/2 either. He loves her, is devoted to her, and doesn’t understand why she doesn’t feel the same way.

That’s why they can’t work together anymore — doing so would ruin both of them in the long run. They are willing to give up that occupational connection in order to work on their family. I don’t see why Derek is in the wrong here. I don’t see why ANYONE needs to be in the wrong here.

Comment by Chris – October 6, 2011 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I definitely agree with you. What Meredith did was wrong, and Derek does have a right to be mad. Now dont get me wrong, Derek has a few things to be sorry for as well but by now ppl should be aware that he has a temper and tends to say things he doesnt mean when he is angry.

Comment by amberjj – October 7, 2011 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If Derek knew Meredith at all, he would know why she felt compelled to break the rules to help Adele. It’s as if Derek has amnesia and doesn’t know Meredith at all.

Comment by Gretchen – October 7, 2011 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s kind of a silly statement. Unless she has a history of ruining medical trials for personal benefit (like trying to save Adele) how could he possibly know she would ruin his trial. The fact that he started the trial at all was to save Meredith in case she developed Alzheimer’s in the future. The trial was for her. How could be possibly know she would ruin it to try save someone else?

Comment by Rowan – October 7, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • He knew the Chief pushed her into letting Adele in the trial.The Chief is like her dad.

Comment by shaun – October 7, 2011 02:41 PM PDT
      • Its never fully explained, it’s all internal — he doesn’t shout at her for all the reasons you mentioned above. Instead I feel why should derek be upset since her heart was in the right place and he is punishing her for it.

Comment by jake – October 7, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m so sick and tired of him and his behaviour too. Meredith should just leave him.

Comment by Mona – October 7, 2011 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I see now why the divorce rate is so high.

Comment by Ash – October 7, 2011 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I know his anger is deserved, but I’m getting a little tired of it.

Comment by Paige – October 7, 2011 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ^^^ YES!!! I so agree with this comment.

Comment by Tanya – October 7, 2011 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! How long is this going to go on? Shonda does this. She gets something going and it goes on and on and on and on and on. I liked Mer & Der getting along. Not this garbage again! Geesh.

Comment by Natalie – October 7, 2011 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree completely. Even Patrick D has said he thinks enough with breaking them up and putting them back together. I hate how she drags things on.

Comment by sharon – October 7, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally! At this point, I would LOVE for him to leave her! He’s been such an azzhole this season- yes, she ruined his trial, but honestly, he knows she did it for the Chief and Adele and the Derek of the past would be more understanding. Frankly, I’ve never been a huge fan of their relationship. They’ve had some great romantic moments together- the elevator love letter proposal, post it wedding- but throughout the series he’s been horrible to her, and this season is just too much! They need to tone down his azzhole-iness to Meredith, Bailey’s to Owen, and Mark’s to Jackson (which this week’s episode made good strides in doing).

Comment by Mal – October 7, 2011 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I though the same thing! I miss “house of candles” Derek, where did he go?

Comment by Ana Muller – October 9, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Derek can be mad but we went through so many seasons of him trying to win her over. Now he has won her and he needs to forgive. Thats what marriage is about.

Comment by Robyn – October 10, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think he should get a little time to be upset. Meredith ruined his trial, that he was doing for HER sake. He is terrified that she will get the disease, and now he can’t continue his research. I’d be livid too. At least they are making it work. What I don’t like is how Alex was forgiven so easily for being a damn tattle tale. He said in a previous season that he’s honest and that’s all he has going for him. I think he’s only honest when it suits him.

Comment by Hannah – October 19, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see Alex working with Arizona. Always glad to see Alex have cases since he gets so little story line. Gee, what a shock the baby is back already. Predictable much?

Comment by Kelli – October 6, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for the recap and promo Matt =) I don’t think Zola is “back” technically more than she is sick and since she is not officially MerDer’s, then they will not be privy to what is happening to her by Dr Karev and Robbins. You never know with promos, they can be misleading on purpose sometimes, but I certainly hope Derek isn’t yet again blaming Meredith for all that is wrong in Seattle. I know both Dempsey and Pompeo said they were working closely with the writer so that MerDer were brought together in a more realistic way, but the more the character Derek acts like a jerk in the Sl, the less I like the character period (not just with MerDer as a couple). Hope this “let’s keep blaming Mer” SL ends soon.

Comment by Amy – October 6, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched Grey’s for the last two years and been mostly happy with the way things were going. But, Derek is really starting to grate on my nerves. I do not tune into the show simply because of him. He ruins the entire show for me. Why does a grown-ass man act like such a little boy? You’d think a person who’s a brilliant neurosurgeon would act more grown up.

Comment by Emily – October 6, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • look at the scene when mer is crying.. dereks arm comforting her?? people need to relax about the merder fighting going on. it would be un-healthy for them not to fight. they are growing stronger from this, and things will get better. even tho i know a lot of people think it, shonda isnt out to destroy mer and der. if people are part the “merder fan base” that they clame to be, stop acting like the creator of the show has an issue.. she created them and doesnt want them to have a downfall. mer and der are not done, and will be happy. REMINDER:its FICTION

Comment by ella – October 6, 2011 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • loving your comment right now.

Comment by amelia – October 7, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that!

Comment by GreysGirl23 – October 7, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABSOLUTELY!!! I started watching in the 6th season around the shooting time, and after 2 episodes, I bought all the seasons. I love MerDer, and I can’t wait to see how this strengthens their relationship. He already made it clear he’s not leaving because of the post-it, so people just need to give it time.

Comment by Anonymous – October 19, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yikes! This fiction shatters the suspension of disbelief for me. My sister does adoptions professionally and the Zola storyline is simply unwatchable. Meredith attempted to kidnap the child in her care and lied egregiously. She’s lucky the social worker didn’t call the police and she wasn’t arrested. Furthermore, I truly don’t understand why Derek is the villain for being understandably upset that Meredith ruined the alzheimer’s trial and their chances at adopting Zola.

Comment by Dewsterling – October 6, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can understand why Der is upset in the SL. My problem with it continuing is we most likely have 24 eps this season and already we have 4 with Derek angry/hostile & it looks like next week continues Derek non forgiving angry saga. With the certainty of both Patrick Dempsey/Ellen Pompeo and others continuing after this season in question, it would be nice to finally move this SL forward. As far as the reality to the adoption SL. Throughout ER and also with GA, I have read Doctors/Med Students question the validity of some of the operations, GA-Docs ethics & pushing of all the facts in surgery SLs in general, so it stands to reason the SL of the “adopting of Zola” would also do that. I kind of expect dramas like this one to stretch the boundaries & downright change the general facts for the sake of a storyline that will gain talk like this one has. This adoption SL, is no exception on GA, in fact it’s a rule when it comes to this show.

Comment by Amy – October 6, 2011 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok Ok who is Der blaming this time? I dunno to me it just looks like Patrick is really having a difficult time acting the bad boy he has always been the dreamy character even in movies, time to move on with this SL.

Comment by Aussie – October 6, 2011 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually stopped watching, they made Derek unbearable to watch. Someone should tell Shonda (Rhimes) to wake up and realize what she’s doing to the show :/

Comment by Ivet – October 7, 2011 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grey’s should be doing arcs that are more interesting — remember the storyline with sandra oh and isiah washington where she was covering up his hand trembling. The storylines right now don’t exactly make it a must for you to tune in the following week.

I had hoped that charlies angels would give it a shot in the arm that it needed but shondra rimes is not helping either.

Comment by jake – October 7, 2011 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am usually a go-with-the-story-flow person but if they kill that baby I will stop watching Grey’s Anatomy.

Comment by English – October 7, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand that Derek is angry, and rightly so. Meridith tampered with his trial. She didn’t ruin it. She didn’t disrupt the blinding (because she and Derek knew if the patient was getting placebo or drug and she didn’t tell the family). She didn’t change any procedures. She should have removed herself from the trial when the Chief and Adele got involved. In fact, the ethics of MerDer treating the Chief’s wife is murky at best. My view is that he should be mad at first but he should have seen that her heart was in the right place, and then he should have gotten over it.

Comment by Tara – October 7, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think his line about this all her fault isn’t in regards to Meredith, I think something is seriously wrong with Zola and he is blaming Arizona, the social worker or the new foster mom! But I firmly place that I think their is a complication during surgery and he blames Arizona!

Comment by Alicia – October 7, 2011 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does no one else get the impression that Shonda is making Derek unlikable on purpose so that his exit at the end of the season will be more welcome than mourned? Plus, if Pompeo sticks around, everyone will be anxious to see her with a new, at least nicer-at-first, guy.

Call me cynical. ^_^

Comment by lore – October 7, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Derek is not out of character. He has always been like this – unforgiving, bullheaded and cold as ice – when he felt someone deserved to be “punished” for whatever he thought they had done wrong. We’ve seen it with Addison, Mark and over the years also numerous times with Meredith. So I don’t think Shonda or anyone from the writers team is trying to make him look worse than he really is. “McDreamy” has always been one side of his character, this other side of him was always there as well.

Comment by Catch625 – October 7, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not about whether Derek has a right to be angry or not for me… it’s that Grey’s, without MerDer, has never been interesting enough to hold my attention. I watch for MerDer. I can’t believe I’ve said MerDer now three times… but I’m bored with the show. Over it. I miss McDreamy, and I’m not interested in watching unless he makes a return.

Comment by Jen – October 7, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For sure Derek is withholding sex! Meredith with no surgery, no sex and probably no drinking (the night she ties one on she’ll come home to a disaproving Janet and Derek in the “screw you Meredith universe”) is gonna blow! Watch out Derek. Meredith is unpredictable. She might just yet run you down in the parking lot.

Comment by Angel – October 7, 2011 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • okay seriously like any of you wouldn’t do something similar if your friend had the beginning stages of a serious disease, and for derek to question weather or not meredith would be a good mother because of something she did to help a friend is rediculous because anyone can see meredith LOVES that baby girl so much and of course she didn’t think of the consequences of messing with that trial because it was a friend and personally i wouldn’t either

Comment by Allie – October 8, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who thought Der could be talking about the social worker when he said “It’s all her fault”?

Comment by Pix – October 10, 2011 01:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post