Ratings: NCIS and New Girl Again Top Tuesday, While Ringer Clangs

This Tuesday’s tallies offered few surprises, as heated competition from the baseball playoffs (Go, Yanks!) made a dent in the Big 5, and NCIS and New Girl once again repeated as audience and demo leaders, respectively.

Superlative-wise, the night’s biggest gainer was Body of Proof, which with 10.22 million viewers and a 2.1 demo rating enjoyed increases of 11 and 17 percent from a week ago. Raising Hope (6.5 mil/2.9) also drew more eyeballs, while holding steady in the demo.

The biggest loser meanwhile didn’t just air on NBC: After indicating last week that its numbers perhaps had leveled, The CW’s Ringer (1.5 mil/0.6) dropped 25 and 33 percent (!). But surely peeps will tune in next week to see what [spoiler] has to say about [spoiler] being [spoiler]!

Turning to time period-by-time period….

8 pm | NCIS was on par with last week, delivering 18.9 million total viewers and a time slot-winning 4.1 demo rating. Glee followed with 8.3 mil/3.5, dipping just a few percentage points. The Biggest Loser averaged 5.6 mil/2.0 over its two-hour run, dropping 13 percent in the demo. 90210 did Ringer no favors by leading off the night with 1.32 million viewers and a 0.6 rating, down 16 and 25 percent in its own right.

Glee Recap: Viva La Diva-Off!

9 pm | Dancing With the Stars‘ results show (14.8 mil/2.8) pulled off a rare win in total audience, gaining 3 percent week-to-week to edge out NCIS: Los Angeles (14.65 mil/3.4), which dipped 10 percent in viewers. New Girl (8.62 mil/4.3), TBL and Ringer rounded out the time slot.

Dancing With the Stars Results: Wait a Second… Who Went Home?

10 pm | CBS’ Unforgettable (11.35 million viewers/2.4 rating) slipped only a bit in its third week but topped the hour in both measures, besting Body of Proof. Parenthood (5 mil/2.0) was down 10 percent.

What were you tuned into this Tuesday?

1. Sen says:

It’s a shame that Ringer is doing so poorly. SMG is a fantastic actress, but the show is really a dud.

• Riley says:

I’m really enjoying Ringer too. Can tell it’s going to be a slow-burner, and there are not enough of those in television, but I still look forward to it every week already.

• Drew says:

The show is really starting to pick up. I’m eager to see how it plays out now. Definitely not the usual CW style show though… which is actually a good thing since the CW really only has Supernatural and this for the non-teen crowd.

• Snapy says:

I’m really enjoying Ringer. It’s not as good as Buffy, but I don’t think it’s trying to be. The storyline is classic soap opera and I’m addicted.

• Tarc says:

I was wacthing last night, as the big climax at the end of the episode was happening, and I realized that I was bored to tears. Everything is so obvious and pedestrian. I had hopes for Ringer, but I think I’m out.

• Drew says:

I don’t think it’s supposed to be surprising in many ways. It’s about the character stumbling down this path and digging herself into a massive hole. In this episode, I really connected to not only Bridget, but those around her as well. It became more than her drama, it turned into something that will eventually happen to all of these people.

So far, I’m a fan.

• Reina says:

That’s your opinion. I think Ringer is an excellent show.

2. Stephanie says:

Awww why did Ringet get such low ratings? Last night’s episode was freaking awesome! This is officially my new FAVOURITE show!

• shaun says:

The hot step daughter left and the story was kinda lame.

• Liz says:

90210 is doing Ringer no favors being on before it. Ringer is also on opposite DWTS results show. I don’t know about anybody else but when I watch The CW, I don’t as many Ringer and Hart of Dixie promos combined as I see for Secret Circle, which is a shame because they are both really good.

• Nancy says:

I agree with you. Some things may seem obvious but I am hooked on this show and it has become one of my favorites.

3. Jamie says:

Any good news with the W18-34 numbers for 90210?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I do apologize, but I can’t get wrapped up in the 18-34 question every day. I’d hate to set a precedent.

• Sen says:

@ Jamie – What is the obsession with the W18-34 numbers? Are you looking for some sort of validation about the show you watch??

@ Matt – You rock :)

• Jamie says:

The network claims to target that demo, with shows like 90210 and “Gossip Girl” it’s good to know what they get.

Thank you!

• Rebecca says:

It’s also been said that CW wants to expand its reach beyond the focus on 18-34 now, so 18-49 is probably very important as well.

• jj says:

it’s good to know for you…. why exactly? is it going to change your viewing habits? do you have any control over whether the numbers go up and down? no? so then who cares really? i can see being curious once, but asking repeatedly makes it seem like you just want to act like you’re sooo savvy about the industry. poser.

• selen says:

Women 18-34 ratings this week for the CW:

1.5 Hart of Dixie
      1.5 Gossip Girl
      1.1 90210
      0.8 Ringer

4. emily says:

yanks, really? tigers all the way. we’re set to dominate the series

5. sarah says:

I like ringer… I like Kristopher P. and SMG… Bummer dude!!

6. Mike says:

Yeah, Ringer was great last night. I wish it were doing better. At least the ratings are still marginally better than lead-in 90210, which has gone in so many wrong directions so far this season it’s not even funny.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, Ringer has gotten better with each episode after an only-decent pilot ep. SMG is typically superb, and the rest of the cast is uniformly excellent. And glad Body of Proof got an uptick in viewers; it never seems to get any love on these boards yet somebody’s watching as it’s ratings have been better than decent so far for the season.

• Carrie says:

It’s really too bad that the ratings were down. It’s true that “Ringer” keeps getting better each week and last night’s episode was a lot of fun. I didn’t expect that ending and I was surprised at the two big revelations in one episode.

7. Lisa says:

I watched and taped Ringer, New Girl, Raising Hope, Parenthood

8. Katie says:

What is it with networks choosing the wrong lead in for shows? 90210 should of never lead in to Ringer they are completely different shows with different viewers.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

ITA, RINGER should have been paired with GOSSIP GIRL — both shows about affluent NYCers.

• Carrie says:

I agree. Even “Nikita” would be a better pairing for “Ringer”. It’s a little weird that they decided to make “Nikita” the lead-in for “Supernatural” when “Nikita” has less viewers.

• ChrisGa says:

Frankly I’m glad they didn’t pair it with Nikita; the only redeeming quality that show has is Melinda Clarke. Beyond that, it’s just plain awful and commits the cardinal sin of an espionage/spy/action series–it’s boring as hell.

9. Boiler says:

If people would quit watching these idiotic reality shows maybe some of these scripted series would hang around longer

10. Templar says:

CBS all evening.

11. Tee says:

I am trying to like Ringer, probably more for SMG than anything. The writing doesn’t make it easy.

• Lauren says:

I agree. I was really excited about it because Buffy is my favourite show of all time. I went to the Comic-Con panel, and it sounded really good. But then…it wasn’t. I thought the end of the new episode made it a bit more interesting. And I love Kristoffer Polaha on it, his character is such a douche, but I love KP so I can’t help but love him and want to give him a hug when Bridget rejects him. I hope it gets better.

• melinda says:

Speaking of being a buffy fan…I just looked up Kristoffer Polaha’s info on IMDB and it looks like he was in an epi of Angel. Six degress of seperation…I tell ya!

12. Andy says:

Ringer is really good. You can’t compare it’s ratings with shows from other networks. CW shows compete against each other. I hope it rises next week.

13. julie says:

i think Ringer would have done better as a film than a series. it’s kind of slow and repetitive. not bad, but would be better if condensed. i’ll watch another couple of weeks, but may give up if it doesn’t move along.

14. AuntieMM says:

I watch NCIS, NCIS: LA then Sons of Anarchy. It took me awhile to warm up to NCIS: LA but it seems to be hitting its stride with its current ‘team’. I’d be curious to see the SOA numbers though.

• Renee says:

I agree about NCIS LA. Took me a while, but now sometimes it’s better than the original. They seem to use humor more often than NCIS these days. I like my action w/some humor.

• Christine says:

I totally agree! I was so reluctant to watch it at first because NCIS is my favorite show on TV and I didn’t want this to ruin it, but after a few episodes I was hooked! Like you said, it amps up the humorous aspects I love in NCIS (like Tony’s witty sarcasm).

My die-hard NCIS fan friend tells me I’m a traitor for watching LA, but I keep telling him to give it a shot, because the two shows are so different, but so great in their own way.

15. NoChance says:

I continue to marvel that a show in it’s 9th season continues to bring in such great numbers. Congratulations to one and all who work on ‘NCIS’ to bring us such a fantastic show.

16. april-ann says:

I really like Ringer but sad to say that at first it seems like the type of show that would be difficult for new viewers to come in later. But I hope they will because that truly is not the case. New viewers would have no problem getting into it. Although it is fast-paced, there have been developments but not many major ones. Last night’s major development was significant though — Gemma found out about the affair and Bridget had no choice but to tell her who she really is! I hope Gemma will keep the secret and that Bridget and Gemma become best friends because Bridget would be a better friend than Siobhan ever was. The character development has been excellent so far, I’m glad they haven’t rushed that, but now that some firm relationships are established, maybe the story can move forward. And the music during the show is great!

17. chase says:

Hey did anyone else notice how McGee’s voice seems to be quite faint? I know he’s said his health is good and had dieted to achieve his current frame, but he used to have a much stronger voice than he had in this last episode.

• jules says:

THANK YOU!! It was driving me crazy throughout the whole episode. I kept wanting him to clear his throat.

• Ashley says:

I noticed it too. I think he was just sick. Sounded like the beginning or tail end of a cold. Everyone in my house has one right now, so I’m familiar with that voice, lol.

18. bob says:

ringer is getting much better form its abysmal pilot. i think that this show would be a better fit among abc’s soapier, sexier, female-fronted shows, on the cw it just isn’t getting the right demographic. i would not hate it if ringer got cancelled. in fact, i may prefer it, so smg can focus her efforts on a better television show on a better network.

• BRETT says:

The show was originally supposed to air on CBS, I believe. Until CBS realized how absolute crap it is, and shipped it off to the CW. On a “better” network, the show would still be a dud.

19. kevin says:

RINGER still worries me the most but it’s now ON THE BUBBLE for sure. PARENTHOOD still the best even the ratings are going up and down like a rollercoaster and UNFORGETTABLE still awful if BODY OF PROOF did better. Don’t know how next week will fare with the debut of LAST MAN STANDING starring Tim Allen.

• Agreed says:

I want to like Ringer, I really do. Too bad they did not hold it back until midseason and retool it a bit. Some of the green screen shots are pathetic as just one important criticism that they could have fixed. I am sure they have spent enough money on the show to afford this needed change. Andrew (the husband) is a stuffy actor and he deserves Gemma, so let’s ship them off together…

Unfortunately I think this show is giving me a Lifetime mini-series quality of storyline where things are shoddily done and everything will be wrapped up shortly. Siobhan “meets” someone who works for her husband’s firm then becomes involved with him to get dirt on the firm and recoup $ she lost to a twin back home that assumed her name. It’s like SMG never left Pine Valley!

Now we see why CBS did not want it on their station as a tentpole. The circus and everything in it would have folded.

Hope SMG and Kristopher are banking their money! There may not be more after this initial 13 eps.

20. shae says:

i really like ringer and hope it’ll stay around!! if only there’s something good i can watch at 8pm so i don’t have to watch glee… last night was so bad… :\

21. John says:

I really want to like Ringer, but it is sooooo boring. I’m barely hanging on.

22. Persephone says:

I am finding it difficult to watch Ringer as well, at this point I am holding on because Jason Dohring is supposed to join the cast at some point and I am hoping for some of the bad boy fun that he always seems to bring.

23. bhm1304 says:

Maybe if “Ringer” was a better idea to begin with or had better writers. Great cast, with the exception of the awful, just rank actress playing Christopher Polaha’s character’s wife, why didn’t Jaime Murray get that part? (At least Jaime Murray is interesting and was noticeably absent from last night’s episode), but horrid plotting, pacing, and story is dooming this show. Plus, Sarah Michelle Gellar isn’t exactly lighting up the screen because of the awful scripts she has to work with. That episode last evening should have been so much better than what ended up airing. It was crap.

24. Um says:

Hey Matt! Do you think you could keep you Go Yankees! battle cry out of a few of your posts this week? I know they still need some help to make it further in the post season, but it is getting annoying…

25. FragglesRock says:

Last night’s episode of Ringer was much better than the previous eps, in my opinion. After Vampire Diaries, I made a rule for myself that I have to give new shows 5 episodes to prove themselves. Some times it takes a lot of groundwork to be laid before the shows take off.

Kristopher Polaha’s character, Henry, was really hard to like at first but after getting a glimpse of the past he had with Siobahn, it’s making me feel a bit more sympathetic towards him.

I’m on board for now, love watching SMG play such contrasting versions of each character!

26. swthompson says:

Good for Body of Proof to have more watchers last night– it was probably their best effort to date. Now if Revenge continues to do well and Pan Am can sort out their storylines, ABC may have to take long looks at some shows that are getting long in the tooth (I’m talking to you Private Practice) in order to get some of their bench players in the game.

• jj says:

just say no to private practice AND grey’s. one is past its prime and has lost its footing by not having characters behave logically and true to themselves, the other was just a bad idea to begin with.

27. Volcfom says:

Ringer is one of my favorite new shows, I hope it still has some life in it!

28. fernando says:

Im super happy for Body Of Proof, great show with a wonderful and well acting lead, you just gotta love Dana Delany.

I’m super sad for both Ringer and 90210, Ringer is getting better and better each week, and this is 90210 best season yet, I think the new show runners are doing a better job then the last ones.

29. caro says:

loveee ringer =/….long lifee pleaseee….love ioan…sarah… =)

30. ana muller says:

New girl is awesome, I’m glad it’s doing well, Zooey Deschanel is so great (:

31. nitemar says:

I gave up on Ringer after the second episode. After watching the promos I was really waiting for this new show. The first episode was not up to my expectations but wanted to give it a second try..but what a messy poorly written show. Sorry, but no thanks.

32. Ryann says:

Who the F*CK, is watching New Girl? I liked to know! NCIS is for old people. And nothing on the CW is credible. Each show gets like a million viewers per week. I wish ratings were tracked by cable boxes and not old people who fill out surveys for the ratings (ahem, NCIS).

33. Dianewith says:

I am an old person – I watch Ringer, Revenge, Parenthood, 21/2 Men, Big Bang Theory, Terra Nova. We are not all old poops.

34. tvlover44 says:

once again sad that the numbers for ‘parenthood’ are lower than for the (in my opinion very forgettable) ‘unforgettable’… ‘parenthood’ is such a smart, fun show – anybody else loving it this season?

35. Justin Poppiti says:

At least Matt Webb is rooting for the right team. Go Yanks!!

36. Blacky says:

I absolutly adore Ringer!! I can’t wait for a new episode!! I’m in Italy and I have to wait every week till Wednesday to see it!! I think it’s a very interesting series..

37. James Ford says:

Ringer is an excellent show. I hope it is never cancelled, or if it is, they tie up all the loose ends. It is too good for CW!