Scoop: Lizzy Caplan Set for New Girl Romance

Get More: Casting News, News, Scoop

New Girl‘s adorkable meter is poised to go off the charts with the casting of offbeat beauty Lizzy Caplan in a multi-episode role.

TVLine has learned that Party Down‘s witty cater waiter/wannabe thespian will appear in three episodes of Fox’s breakout comedy hit as Julia, a super-cool and highly educated gal who has a master’s degree in art history. Nick (played by Jake Johnson), upon meeting Julia at an art gallery, is instantly smitten yet intimidated by her well-cultured manner.

As such, when Nick invites Julia to Schmidt’s birthday party, he frets that his new romantic interest will be put off by his pals — yet it may be someone else who’s in for the bigger awakening.

Fall TV: Fox’s New Girl Gets Full-Season Pick-Up

In addition to Party Down, Caplan’s TV credits include The Class, True Blood and Related.

New Girl fun fact, just in from Fox: With this week’s ratings performance, the Zooey Deschanel starrer is the first new sitcom on any network in 20 seasons to win its first three nights in the coveted 18-to-49 demo (since ABC’s Step By Step). Everyone, slo-mo chicken dance!

Comments (55)

• I just saw the first episode and I don’t see the appeal. The Jess character gets very annoying really fast.

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 5, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Give it a few episodes to settle in. Last night’s episode was adorable.

Comment by Volcfom – October 5, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve watched all the episodes too, and it can get annoying after 10 mins. The problem with it for me is it seems to fake, but she does have redeeming moments and I still kinda love her.

Comment by Russ – October 5, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It seems to fake what? I don’t see it faking anything.

Comment by CJ – October 6, 2011 03:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The second episode is better. It’s the off pitch singing that gets on my nerves.

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 5, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you. Yes, I find the character very annoying as well (and I’ve watched all 3 episodes).

Comment by Brian – October 5, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thats because this shows is not for guys

Comment by Anonymous – October 5, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m a girl and I think Jess is annoying too. And I really wanted to like it. Why does she have to have an emotionally crippled space cadet? And why is such a gorgeous girl so clueless about dating?

Comment by becca – October 5, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah kind of feel the same way. It’s not a bad show, out of the new fall comedies I’ve seen it seems to be the best but still not crazy about it. Also I cringe every time I hear/read “adorkable” now.

Comment by Tee – October 5, 2011 02:40 PM PDT
          • If life and dating were easy for her then it wouldnt be a TV show. There has to be conflicts and drama, and in a sitcom that usually entails love problems, bad decisions, and misunderstandings. I think it is an adorable and smart show. Only complaint is they replaced Coach after the first episode and he was one of the funniest characters.

Comment by ash – October 5, 2011 03:07 PM PDT
        • Really? Well, I’m not only a “Guy” …

I’m what you’d call a “Guys, Guy” … and I Love Jess and the entire crew of New Girl!

It’s funny, a little Quarky, and as amazing as it may seem to some …

It’s NOT REAL LIFE … it’s a SITCOM … and it’s funny, btw, that’s what sitcoms are suppose to be!

Comment by Jim Jenia – October 5, 2011 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First of all, HOORAY for Lizzie Caplan’s return to TV. Second, Jake Johnson is totally Matt Mitovich’s doppelganger.

Comment by Shane G – October 5, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just thought the exact same thing..uncanny appearance!

Comment by Melanie – October 5, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe in that picture, but not all that much when you see him in action. Since Nick is the level-headed, straightforward, and kind roommate, I’m assuming they’ll develop him as the love interest for Jess. Others’ mileage may vary, but I think he’s the cutest of the 3 guys, too. Interestingly, IMDb says Jake Johnson is 14 years old.

Comment by satirex – October 6, 2011 03:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Mary Elizabeth Ellis comes back too! She’s the best!

Comment by Sam – October 5, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy to hear that Lizzy Caplan is going to be on the show but I would love a moratorium on the word “adorkable.” Please, just stop it.

Comment by Emily – October 5, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this, please. every time it’s used, i always get the impression that the author feels as though they are the first person to ever mash the words “adorable” and “dork” together, and it’s just so not as precious or clever as they think it is. i like new girl, but whenever adorkable is used to describe jess, i want to die a little bit.

Comment by bob – October 5, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! I am in love with this show so very much, but everytime I hear/read “adorkable” I want to throw up a little…

Comment by Zach – October 5, 2011 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry, but Zooey is “Adorkable” …

Quick, run for the trash can! :o)

Comment by Jim Jenia – October 5, 2011 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the network is using it in promotion, which absolves writers for using it. It doesn’t make it any less annoying, but it absolves the journalists.

Comment by satirex – October 6, 2011 03:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very happy for Lizzy Caplan to be back on TV, but I won’t lie, I really wanted her return to television to be on Parks and Rec. I was really hoping she would become Ben’s new love interest now that he and Leslie are broken up.

Comment by Jamie – October 5, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched all three eps of this show and I really enjoy it but I can’t be the only one out there that wants Jess & Nick together, right? I do love Lizzy Caplan though (thanks Mean Girls).

Comment by Katie – October 5, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nope you are not I do as well. They were cute in last nights episode.

Comment by Sephie – October 5, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are definitely not the only one. I love the chemistry between Jess and Nick and that neither of them even realize it’s there. I’m rooting for those two for sure!

Comment by Natalie – October 6, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree. Having watched all three episodes, Schmidt is the only character that hasn’t annoyed me

How many times can the guys end up caving to her and end up doing something embarrassing in the closing minutes to make everything ok?!

Comment by Jake – October 5, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adored Lizzy Caplan on Party Down, so yeah, I’m jazzed about this casting.

Comment by Kristen – October 5, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agreed! I think it will be Jess who has the bigger awakening.

Jess and Nick were absolutely adorable in the photo booth this week. I’ve been rooting for them since their first scene together.

Comment by Jamie – October 5, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I think it will be Jess as well. Yes they really were cute.

Comment by Sephie – October 5, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually I heard the bigger awakening was her charcter has ‘Anger Management’ issues.

Comment by P – October 5, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Lizzy. I loved her in True Blood and as Janice in Mean Girls. I also REALLY want Jess and Nick together. I don’t think any of them are annoying yet.

Comment by Anthony Newhall – October 5, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE HER! From Freak and Geeks, Mean Girls, Party Down. Thrilled she’ll be on new Girl, which so far is a sitcom that actually makes me laugh out loud, which is very rare for me when watching TV. Yay!

Comment by Cee – October 5, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OHH love this :D

Comment by Elin – October 5, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I miss Related. I was one of five people that watched that show, but I loved it!

Comment by KSM – October 5, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was one of the other four!

Comment by Ace – October 5, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I must also be one of the other four.

Comment by raven – October 5, 2011 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watched, too! Okay, so where’s our last person…

Comment by Katie – October 5, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Either it was me …. or the Nielsens lied! :o)

Comment by Jim Jenia – October 5, 2011 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well there had to have been 6 people that watched it because I loved that show…I’m still angry it got cancelled! :(

Comment by Natalie – October 6, 2011 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jess is not annoying at all to me…I find her refreshing, quirky, and funny. Much better than the sexed up ladies that you find on alot of show.

I enjoy watching the show very much, one of my faves for the Fall!

Comment by Tamara – October 5, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks Matt for the updates on New Girl. I can’t wait to see how this all plays out.

Comment by chase – October 5, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you hate this show so much why watch it and waste your time complaining/reading about it? A little weird, no? Anywho, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show! Bring on Lizzy Caplan for a few episodes, she is also fantastic. Looking forward to it.

Comment by Tarren – October 5, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely LOVE this show!! Jess is quirky and adorable! This show is much better than all the reality shows we have today and I love the fact that she gets to be herself and not some sexed up girl. I think that Jess and Nick will end up together, I really hope they do! :)

Comment by Jess C. – October 5, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ditto!

Comment by Fb – October 5, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her quirkiness-reminds me of some people I know (as well as perhaps the one in the mirror!) All you who think she’s annoying probably wouldn’t be a friend of mine. Ha.

Comment by Dianer – October 5, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the character, sure she can be a little annoying but so can everyone, even your closet friends in real life. I find her to be a more realistic character than others I see on TV, she reminds me of my friends and myself. And who doesn’t have a friend that has an annoying word they say all the time? Or a friend who yes, is gorgeous, but still doesn’t have a clue about her love life? I’d hate for her to be just another stereotypical beautiful girl like we see on so many other shows.

Comment by Bella – October 5, 2011 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg, slo-mo chicken dance, I freaking love it…

Comment by Rachel – October 5, 2011 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is incredible. It’s actually funny and not the same storyline most shows follow. Two thumbs up!

Comment by Katie – October 5, 2011 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope she becomes a regular. She’s hilarious!!!

Comment by Jason – October 5, 2011 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Love Lizzy Caplan!

Comment by mandy – October 5, 2011 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! :)

Comment by Sarabi – October 6, 2011 03:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really loving this show. I too can get a little tired of Zoey Deschanel’s “quirky girl” routine but, so far, the character Jess has been a nice blend of funny/outrageous and sweet. There are some things that have me worried about the show’s sustainability: First, I think they’ve developed the romantic tension between Nick and Jess too soon. If this turns into another will they/won’t they relationship I may shoot myself. Second, while I have loved the first three shows, they do seem a bit “formulaic”: someone is having trouble in a relationship and the roommates come to the rescue. Hopefully, the writers/creators have more tricks up their sleeves. I’m rooting for it!

Comment by Fen – October 6, 2011 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not watch this show On Demand again. Too many commercials and you can’t forward through them? EPIC FAIL!

Comment by SD – October 6, 2011 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg…Zoey and Lizzy?!?!?!? dreams do come true!!!!!

Comment by BunG – October 6, 2011 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when i first saw this i thought lizzy was going to play zoeys sister, jeezo she could play her twin sister.
    strangely as i watched the first 3 episodes i kept thinking lizzy caplan would be much better playing jesse

Comment by stoopid – October 6, 2011 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zooey Deschanel is awesome!

Comment by Lisa – October 6, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post