Fringe Cast Previews Peter's Return and the Big New Threat to Both Universes

Fringe fans, the wait is almost over: Peter Bishop will be making his way home to the Fox series (Fridays at 9/8c), and sooner rather than later. But the return won’t be without its complications.

John Noble predicts that the reunion between father and son will be “very hard to take” for the already mentally fragile Walter. “[He's] always blamed himself for everything that’s gone wrong,” Noble said during a Vancouver set visit arranged by Warner Bros. TV. “Whether he even thinks he deserves this chance [to get Peter back] is another matter.”

Then there’s the question of whether the reunion is even real or, Noble muses, is Walter just “fabricating this in his mind as some escape?”

Fringe Bosses Reassure Joshua Jackson Fans, Promise More ‘Mind-Blowing’ Cases Than Ever

As Noble notes, Walter would “be very concerned about the fact that it’s just another extension of his madness,” which if witnessed would precipitate his return to St. Claire’s Hospital. “It’s terrifying material for Walter.”

Noble also suspects Peter’s return could have consequences for Walter’s relationship with Olivia, who’s much more of a hands-on caretaker for him in this new reality. “How will Walter react to another person taking her attention?” he wonders. “I’ve got all those interesting, strange things to play with — those emotions, which could potentially happen, of jealousy and anger and being off-sided because you’re being ignored.”

Sounds like the odds of Peter’s re-entry into the Fringe world being a smooth and happy one are not good. Jasika Nicole puts it more bluntly: “It’s not like a ‘Welcome home.’ And it might even be the opposite of [that].”

“The transition is really difficult,” she adds. “There’s not an immediate, ‘OK, we’re back to where we were before.’ It takes a while.” And until there’s acceptance, “It’s just a battle,” she says.

Fringe Exclusive: John Noble Shares a ‘Wonderful’ Reunion With Joshua Jackson

But get this, there’s an even bigger battle brewing. Though the two universes have been crumbling from the damage they’ve done to each other, that’s nothing compared to a potential new threat that will force the distrusting Fringe teams to come together. “There is a possibility that there is an outside force that has nothing to do with these universes but is affecting these universes,” teases Nicole. Once realized, the Fringe teams will “for serious” need to join forces, “because otherwise,” the actress says, “everything is going to go crazy.”

“It’s going to start getting more intense, but actually we’re going to start working together more, too,” says Lance Reddick, who predicts things are going to get interesting for “Broyles, but definitely for alt-Broyles.” (The odds of seeing the two Fringe leaders interacting are “pretty good,” he hints.)

So what brings this third force into the picture? “Something in the past has come back,” is all Nicole would reveal. Could this something be a person? Reddick hints that a “great character from seasons ago” will return.

Comments (41)

• I think you mean have in the second sentence of the third paragraph from the bottom.

I can’t wait for Peter to come back. Hopefully it won’t be a delusion.

Comment by jar – October 5, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Three words : David Robert Jones

Comment by chrispatt86 – October 5, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes!!! hopefully!

great interview!! i’m very excited to see all these developments once peter’s back!

Comment by Gia – October 5, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my first thought as well. Hopefully Mad Men can spare him!

Comment by Mike – October 5, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed

Comment by TBM – October 6, 2011 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, please! It has to be him!

Comment by Juan – October 6, 2011 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still want to see Agent Jessup back

Comment by Jon – October 5, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alt-Broyles? I thought Alt-Broyles died helping Olivia get back to our side. Did Peter’s non-existence affect that too?

Comment by Bella – October 5, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. Olivia was only ever in captivity There in this timeline so she never got altOlivia’s memories forced upon on her and never had to play out her alternate’s life only to then remember who she really was and therefore altBroyles never warmed up to her and helped her get back to Here. So he never died.

Comment by Sarah – October 5, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • did you not watch last week’s episode?

Comment by Dessy – October 5, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Bella…I apparently missed that too. Glad someone asked!

Comment by jules – October 6, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I mean, they showed that people could still be alive now that Peter’s gone, as they did with alt-Broyles (who died because Olivia was having hallucinations of Peter and asked his help to get back to him; BTW, anyone know how Olivia knew she wasn’t from the alt-verse in the new universe?

So all we have to look for is someone who died directly because of Peter

Comment by Jon – October 5, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Olivia was never brainwashed, she was just stuck in that dark room the whole time, is what we can gather. She never had to to be forced to live altOlivia’s life. So she still managed to get home. They could go into this more over the next few episodes but this is what was alluded to so far.

Comment by Sarah – October 5, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually the only reason they ever crossed over was to get Peter back, so I think Olivia was kidnapped at some point when the other Olivia came to this universe.
        Also, if Peter never existed, why are the universes tearing apart? As Walter would have never crossed over to get him, since there was nothing there.

Comment by liddad – October 5, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m pretty sure John Noble said in some interview that he [Walter] did cross over to save alternate Peter once his Peter died, only the Peter that we knew didn’t get cured- he also died. But at that point the damage to the universe was still done.
          And remember, there was that line from Walter in the premiere about “and sometimes, they even die twice”.

Comment by AngelMoonGirl – October 5, 2011 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I never expected them to welcome Peter with open arms. They don’t remember him! I knew it would be gradual. And it’ll be heeartbreaking but good angst to watch. And it’s interesting that the two sides have to truly “work” together because I could barely see the thin line of civility thus far in the new season. I thought it’d blow up because of Walternate’s likely involvement with these new shifters. Well it can still go to an unstable wormhole in a space-time continuum maelstrom (hell in a handbasket). There’s plenty of time for stuff to go ten times more nuts than it has been.

Comment by Sarah – October 5, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bad thought here: If actor Joshua Jackson didn’t like the Olivia/Peter romance storyline, what better way to ‘correct’ it than to do a J.J. Abrams ‘Star Trek’ reboot with a timeline change and have Peter disappear from the timeline….only to return to a different dynamic between his ‘Fringe team’ and his character? The hints dropped in this article seem to point in that direction. Bad thought, right? They wouldn’t do that, would they?

Comment by forrest – October 7, 2011 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David robert jones? oh please

Comment by z – October 5, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm.

My money is either on an alternate David Robert Jones or an alternate Agent John Scott.

Comment by Paul Penna – October 5, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, there are some other possibilities.

Longs shots could be Eliot Michaels who tried to take the bald child to be experimented on by the CIA in ‘Inner Child’ or someone connected to John Scott in the NSA.

However, if we’re talking about a significant character who is not a double of someone we’ve already met then there is one candidate out there who fits the profile.

Mitchell Loeb. Former FBI Agent and member of ZFT. He was intent on creating weapons which could be used against the alternate universe and bears a grudge against Olivia for killing his wife.

When last seen, he was still alive and residing in prison.

Comment by Paul Penna – October 5, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I could never imagine that we’ll see a Walter jealous of Peter instead of jealous because of Peter …… I can’t wait!

Comment by Roneo – October 5, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Peter never existed does that mean that fauxlivia never had his baby? If so then sis they even have an affair? When Peter gets back will he and Olivia be a couple or not? UGH!! so many unanswered questions.

Comment by Amanda – October 5, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No Peter no baby Henry and Faux is still with Frank so she never cheated. The producers also said that Peter and Olivia are destined to be together so we have to wait and see..It’s cool..patience hun,they got this.

Comment by Audrey – October 5, 2011 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Broyles and AltBroyles interacting? Yes, yes, yes!!

Walter jealous of Peter will be absolutely hilarious and adorable! :D

Comment by Kay – October 5, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, finally!

Peter’s back! I can’t wait to see the characters react to this!

Comment by Guess – October 5, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is currently the only show on air that I really get excited for.

Comment by austen. – October 5, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so excited because David Robert Jones will probably be the one coming back! That being said…will we ever see Alt-Nina? I am really interested to.

Comment by Anita – October 5, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just want to see Nina period in these episodes, where is she?

Comment by austen. – October 5, 2011 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jasika Nicole is such a fan of the show. I love seeing cast members like that; she’s adorable.

Comment by Michael – October 5, 2011 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I heard Friday (10/7) is a David Fury episode! Excellent.

Comment by ladyhelix – October 5, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m SO excited to have Peter come back! Seriously, I’m dying for some Peter/Olivia and Peter/Walter scenes, and I’m really interested in how Fringe works itself back to the dynamic of seasons 1-3. (Hopefully it isn’t gone forever to this “new” reality…)
    My one big question right now is, what happened to Baby Henry!? Will he make a return too? I hope so, personally, because I think there was so much potential in that storyline.
    Mmm, I’m thinking David Robert Jones is our old foe resurrected into a new baddie!

Comment by AngelMoonGirl – October 5, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really don’t think that baby Henry will be back. I think it was just a plot device so that they could turn The Machine on over there with just Peter’s DNA.

Comment by Rebecca – October 6, 2011 01:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they should explore the current relationships in this timeline more, Olivia and Walter , Olivia and Astrid, Olivia, Astrid and Lincoln, and how Nina Sharpe will now be with Olivia.
    Peter isolated Olivia from the rest, so I prefer this setting.
    And it would be completely wrong if his return would mean back to going how it was. What I do not like from what they set up to do is that they miss peter without having met him, but in season 3 no one missed Olivia, and after her return she had to be this needy insecure woman. I really do not want that back.
    David Robert Jones I always saw as the possible real father of Olivia
    so would be an interesting enemy.

Comment by guest – October 6, 2011 03:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anna Torv and Jasika Nicole love the current Olivia/Astrid relationship and Anna and John Noble , according to him in several interviews, love the new Olivia/Walter relationship.
      They do not shout it all out in every interview, but they are all great friends.

Comment by guest – October 6, 2011 03:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! Wasn’t Peter terrible? He was an inspiration for every kidnapper out there, keeping Olivia indoors against her will. Poor abused woman, who could not help but be in love with her captor.

Oh, it’s you Anto! Moving on.

Comment by Sam – October 6, 2011 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be so coooool if it was NEWTON…but I’m guessing its either Mitchel Loebe or Mr.Robert Jones,I want to hear his “hellooo you” again lol.

Comment by Scorpio – October 6, 2011 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s one potential chracter that no one has mentioned: Sam Weiss. How does he fit into the new timeline, and could he be this mysterious other force at play? And, don’t forget that since the timeline’s changed it’s fairly likely that William Bell’s conciousness didn’t ‘die’ when it left Olivia during that weird Scanner Darkly inspired episode.

Comment by Cam – October 6, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Fringe and I don’t think there’s one character on the show that I don’t like BUT…I absolutely hated the episode(s) where William Bell was inside Olivia. Terrible terrible.

Comment by jules – October 6, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • everyone is guessing Jones, which would be cool, but I’m gonna go back to episode 4 of season 1, and predict the threat will be rogue observers. John Mosely was able to use observer weapons and read Peter’s thoughts, but after he was killed, he was identified as “John Mosely from Seattle” (a human), but the glyph code for that episode spelled out “ROGUE”, and the producers have referred to him as a rogue observer. I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess that he had a human body because rogue observers are some form of human shapeshifter like the ones we saw in episode 1 of season 4 (they brought those shapeshifters into the equation for a reason)…plus observers can actually threaten 2 universes whereas Jones, I don’t think, has that kind of power

Comment by sean – October 6, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still unsure how alt-Broyles is alive again. He died so Olivia could come back. It had nothing to do with Peter…

Comment by Matt – October 6, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’s a new timeline, one in which Peter didn’t exist, one in which Olivia didn’t cross over to save Peter therefor Broyles never had to help her return and was never killed for being a traitor

Comment by sean – October 6, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post