Fringe Cast Previews Peter's Return and the Big New Threat to Both Universes

Fringe fans, the wait is almost over: Peter Bishop will be making his way home to the Fox series (Fridays at 9/8c), and sooner rather than later. But the return won’t be without its complications.

John Noble predicts that the reunion between father and son will be “very hard to take” for the already mentally fragile Walter. “[He’s] always blamed himself for everything that’s gone wrong,” Noble said during a Vancouver set visit arranged by Warner Bros. TV. “Whether he even thinks he deserves this chance [to get Peter back] is another matter.”

Then there’s the question of whether the reunion is even real or, Noble muses, is Walter just “fabricating this in his mind as some escape?”

Fringe Bosses Reassure Joshua Jackson Fans, Promise More ‘Mind-Blowing’ Cases Than Ever

As Noble notes, Walter would “be very concerned about the fact that it’s just another extension of his madness,” which if witnessed would precipitate his return to St. Claire’s Hospital. “It’s terrifying material for Walter.”

Noble also suspects Peter’s return could have consequences for Walter’s relationship with Olivia, who’s much more of a hands-on caretaker for him in this new reality. “How will Walter react to another person taking her attention?” he wonders. “I’ve got all those interesting, strange things to play with — those emotions, which could potentially happen, of jealousy and anger and being off-sided because you’re being ignored.”

Sounds like the odds of Peter’s re-entry into the Fringe world being a smooth and happy one are not good. Jasika Nicole puts it more bluntly: “It’s not like a ‘Welcome home.’ And it might even be the opposite of [that].”

“The transition is really difficult,” she adds. “There’s not an immediate, ‘OK, we’re back to where we were before.’ It takes a while.” And until there’s acceptance, “It’s just a battle,” she says.

Fringe Exclusive: John Noble Shares a ‘Wonderful’ Reunion With Joshua Jackson

But get this, there’s an even bigger battle brewing. Though the two universes have been crumbling from the damage they’ve done to each other, that’s nothing compared to a potential new threat that will force the distrusting Fringe teams to come together. “There is a possibility that there is an outside force that has nothing to do with these universes but is affecting these universes,” teases Nicole. Once realized, the Fringe teams will “for serious” need to join forces, “because otherwise,” the actress says, “everything is going to go crazy.”

“It’s going to start getting more intense, but actually we’re going to start working together more, too,” says Lance Reddick, who predicts things are going to get interesting for “Broyles, but definitely for alt-Broyles.” (The odds of seeing the two Fringe leaders interacting are “pretty good,” he hints.)

So what brings this third force into the picture? “Something in the past has come back,” is all Nicole would reveal. Could this something be a person? Reddick hints that a “great character from seasons ago” will return.

1. jar says:

I think you mean have in the second sentence of the third paragraph from the bottom.

I can’t wait for Peter to come back. Hopefully it won’t be a delusion.

2. chrispatt86 says:

Three words : David Robert Jones

3. Jon says:

I still want to see Agent Jessup back

4. Bella says:

Alt-Broyles? I thought Alt-Broyles died helping Olivia get back to our side. Did Peter’s non-existence affect that too?

• Sarah says:

Yes. Olivia was only ever in captivity There in this timeline so she never got altOlivia’s memories forced upon on her and never had to play out her alternate’s life only to then remember who she really was and therefore altBroyles never warmed up to her and helped her get back to Here. So he never died.

• Dessy says:

did you not watch last week’s episode?

• jules says:

@Bella…I apparently missed that too. Glad someone asked!

5. Jon says:

Well, I mean, they showed that people could still be alive now that Peter’s gone, as they did with alt-Broyles (who died because Olivia was having hallucinations of Peter and asked his help to get back to him; BTW, anyone know how Olivia knew she wasn’t from the alt-verse in the new universe?

So all we have to look for is someone who died directly because of Peter

• Sarah says:

Olivia was never brainwashed, she was just stuck in that dark room the whole time, is what we can gather. She never had to to be forced to live altOlivia’s life. So she still managed to get home. They could go into this more over the next few episodes but this is what was alluded to so far.

• liddad says:

Actually the only reason they ever crossed over was to get Peter back, so I think Olivia was kidnapped at some point when the other Olivia came to this universe.
        Also, if Peter never existed, why are the universes tearing apart? As Walter would have never crossed over to get him, since there was nothing there.

• AngelMoonGirl says:

I’m pretty sure John Noble said in some interview that he [Walter] did cross over to save alternate Peter once his Peter died, only the Peter that we knew didn’t get cured- he also died. But at that point the damage to the universe was still done.
          And remember, there was that line from Walter in the premiere about “and sometimes, they even die twice”.

6. Sarah says:

Well I never expected them to welcome Peter with open arms. They don’t remember him! I knew it would be gradual. And it’ll be heeartbreaking but good angst to watch. And it’s interesting that the two sides have to truly “work” together because I could barely see the thin line of civility thus far in the new season. I thought it’d blow up because of Walternate’s likely involvement with these new shifters. Well it can still go to an unstable wormhole in a space-time continuum maelstrom (hell in a handbasket). There’s plenty of time for stuff to go ten times more nuts than it has been.

• forrest says:

Bad thought here: If actor Joshua Jackson didn’t like the Olivia/Peter romance storyline, what better way to ‘correct’ it than to do a J.J. Abrams ‘Star Trek’ reboot with a timeline change and have Peter disappear from the timeline….only to return to a different dynamic between his ‘Fringe team’ and his character? The hints dropped in this article seem to point in that direction. Bad thought, right? They wouldn’t do that, would they?

7. z says:

David robert jones? oh please

8. Paul Penna says:

Hmmm.

My money is either on an alternate David Robert Jones or an alternate Agent John Scott.

• Paul Penna says:

Actually, there are some other possibilities.

Longs shots could be Eliot Michaels who tried to take the bald child to be experimented on by the CIA in ‘Inner Child’ or someone connected to John Scott in the NSA.

However, if we’re talking about a significant character who is not a double of someone we’ve already met then there is one candidate out there who fits the profile.

Mitchell Loeb. Former FBI Agent and member of ZFT. He was intent on creating weapons which could be used against the alternate universe and bears a grudge against Olivia for killing his wife.

When last seen, he was still alive and residing in prison.

9. Roneo says:

Well, I could never imagine that we’ll see a Walter jealous of Peter instead of jealous because of Peter …… I can’t wait!

10. Amanda says:

If Peter never existed does that mean that fauxlivia never had his baby? If so then sis they even have an affair? When Peter gets back will he and Olivia be a couple or not? UGH!! so many unanswered questions.

• Audrey says:

No Peter no baby Henry and Faux is still with Frank so she never cheated. The producers also said that Peter and Olivia are destined to be together so we have to wait and see..It’s cool..patience hun,they got this.

11. Kay says:

Broyles and AltBroyles interacting? Yes, yes, yes!!

Walter jealous of Peter will be absolutely hilarious and adorable! :D

12. Guess says:

Yes, finally!

Peter’s back! I can’t wait to see the characters react to this!

13. austen. says:

This is currently the only show on air that I really get excited for.

14. Anita says:

I am so excited because David Robert Jones will probably be the one coming back! That being said…will we ever see Alt-Nina? I am really interested to.

15. Michael says:

Jasika Nicole is such a fan of the show. I love seeing cast members like that; she’s adorable.

16. ladyhelix says:

I heard Friday (10/7) is a David Fury episode! Excellent.

17. AngelMoonGirl says:

I’m SO excited to have Peter come back! Seriously, I’m dying for some Peter/Olivia and Peter/Walter scenes, and I’m really interested in how Fringe works itself back to the dynamic of seasons 1-3. (Hopefully it isn’t gone forever to this “new” reality…)
    My one big question right now is, what happened to Baby Henry!? Will he make a return too? I hope so, personally, because I think there was so much potential in that storyline.
    Mmm, I’m thinking David Robert Jones is our old foe resurrected into a new baddie!

• Rebecca says:

I really don’t think that baby Henry will be back. I think it was just a plot device so that they could turn The Machine on over there with just Peter’s DNA.

18. guest says:

I think they should explore the current relationships in this timeline more, Olivia and Walter , Olivia and Astrid, Olivia, Astrid and Lincoln, and how Nina Sharpe will now be with Olivia.
    Peter isolated Olivia from the rest, so I prefer this setting.
    And it would be completely wrong if his return would mean back to going how it was. What I do not like from what they set up to do is that they miss peter without having met him, but in season 3 no one missed Olivia, and after her return she had to be this needy insecure woman. I really do not want that back.
    David Robert Jones I always saw as the possible real father of Olivia
    so would be an interesting enemy.

• guest says:

Anna Torv and Jasika Nicole love the current Olivia/Astrid relationship and Anna and John Noble , according to him in several interviews, love the new Olivia/Walter relationship.
      They do not shout it all out in every interview, but they are all great friends.

• Sam says:

I know! Wasn’t Peter terrible? He was an inspiration for every kidnapper out there, keeping Olivia indoors against her will. Poor abused woman, who could not help but be in love with her captor.

Oh, it’s you Anto! Moving on.

19. Scorpio says:

It would be so coooool if it was NEWTON…but I’m guessing its either Mitchel Loebe or Mr.Robert Jones,I want to hear his “hellooo you” again lol.

20. Cam says:

There’s one potential chracter that no one has mentioned: Sam Weiss. How does he fit into the new timeline, and could he be this mysterious other force at play? And, don’t forget that since the timeline’s changed it’s fairly likely that William Bell’s conciousness didn’t ‘die’ when it left Olivia during that weird Scanner Darkly inspired episode.

• jules says:

I love Fringe and I don’t think there’s one character on the show that I don’t like BUT…I absolutely hated the episode(s) where William Bell was inside Olivia. Terrible terrible.

21. sean says:

everyone is guessing Jones, which would be cool, but I’m gonna go back to episode 4 of season 1, and predict the threat will be rogue observers. John Mosely was able to use observer weapons and read Peter’s thoughts, but after he was killed, he was identified as “John Mosely from Seattle” (a human), but the glyph code for that episode spelled out “ROGUE”, and the producers have referred to him as a rogue observer. I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess that he had a human body because rogue observers are some form of human shapeshifter like the ones we saw in episode 1 of season 4 (they brought those shapeshifters into the equation for a reason)…plus observers can actually threaten 2 universes whereas Jones, I don’t think, has that kind of power

22. Matt says:

I’m still unsure how alt-Broyles is alive again. He died so Olivia could come back. It had nothing to do with Peter…

23. sean says:

it’s a new timeline, one in which Peter didn’t exist, one in which Olivia didn’t cross over to save Peter therefor Broyles never had to help her return and was never killed for being a traitor