Exclusive

Exclusive: Glee Casts Love Interest for Beiste!

Looks like Coach Beiste could be ordering a second bowl of pasta the next time she calls for Breadstix takeout.

Nope, she’s not ramping up her carb-loading, and as far as we know, she’s not pregnant. But TVLine has learned exclusively that Beiste, played by the delightful Dot-Marie Jones (a 2011 Emmy nominee for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series), may have a very special dinner companion in her future.

Glee Recap: Viva La Diva-Off!

Indeed, the show’s producers have cast Eric Bruskotter in what’s being described as a major recurring role of Johnny, a football recruiter who comes scouting for talent at McKinley, but finds he can’t take his eyes off the team’s gruff but big-hearted coach. Bruskotter has previously had recurring roles on 24, Six Feet Under and Providence, and most recently appeared in an episode of Franklin & Bash.

The prospect of this football recruiter being fashioned as a love interest for Beiste got a winning reception from Jones when we ran the idea by her recently. “Oh my God… I’ll have to talk to Ryan Murphy about that!” she beamed.

Jayma Mays on Her New Glee Role, ‘Ginger Supremacy’ and a Very Special Duet

Excited to see a man in Beiste’s life? Any chance it’ll soften her demeanor in the locker room? (Let’s hope not!) Sound off in the comments! And for all our Glee news and commentary, follow us on Twitter @TVLineNews!

1. Anon says:

I love Bieste but someone need to tell RIB that non every character needs a love interest.

• Grace of Spades says:

No, every character needs a love intrest. It’s comedy 101. Every character has a section of fans who identify with that character the most, and giving that character is like saying “you too will find love and happiness!” Corny, but true. I’m not saying it’s right, I’m saying that’s how selling TV goes.

Although if you would like to make the point that there are already so many characters on Glee that giving them all adequate screen time is beyond impossible, Anon, I would agree with THAT.

• dane says:

I agree that not every character needs a love interest.. but Beiste does. She’s a virgin and she doesn’t believe she’s worthy of love. It’s a perfect storyline for her. I am rooting for her to be happy.

• Sam says:

Complete agreement! It would send a great message that you don’t have to have beauty queen girl-next-door looks in order to find love. Someone will love you for you, no matter what you look like. So far, Glee has not done that at all. Everybody on the show who’s ever been in a relationship has been young and attractive. I think they tried to show that with Lauren, but it was clear that that was nothing but a cheap ploy that even the writers couldn’t take seriously. Lauren was a joke from day one… so they kicked her off after they couldn’t do anything else with her.

• Elle says:

“It would send a great message that you don’t have to have beauty queen girl-next-door looks in order to find love.”

Totally agreed. I love Beiste.

• cyndi says:

I think Coach Beiste deserves a love interest. It was a very touching episode where she revealed she had never been kissed. It would be great tv to see Coach in love!

• Aly says:

Coach needs one because if you remember she’s never been on a date and was only kissed by Will. I love the idea

2. kt says:

Awww…good to see she’ll have something to fill the void in her life caused by the cancellation of Ace of Cakes…haha

3. Brittany says:

Yesss!! Love the Beiste!!

4. Kingslayer says:

Yay! Go coach she deserves it!

5. Blah says:

Hope he is better than Mercedes boyfriend Dude was flat.

Love Bieste but they are going to over use her, they are already running out of jokes and are resorting to her eating whole chickens and such. Because you know big people eat 24/7.

• Dumbbunny says:

Actually, she explained in the episode that she was carboloading. its where you eat 2-3x the normal amount of food so you have more energy, stamina, and endurance for a short time.

• mg714 says:

Agree about Mercedes boyfriend. I loved him on FNL but he doesn’t seem as interesting on Glee.

6. Winnie says:

Yes! I was just saying to my guy last night that I hoped Glee would set Coach Beiste up with a love interest. Dot Marie Jones is fantastic with whatever they give the character.

7. Melissa says:

How can you miss his most important acting credit as meathead baseball player Big John in Can’t Buy Me Love?

8. lila says:

Hooray for Shannon!!! Are we also getting some plots for Finn Hudson too? I dearly hope so. It’s time he needs some plots!

9. Bella says:

Yay! I’m so happy for Bieste! She deserves to have someone to love her back.

10. Chatty says:

Oh, I love this idea! Dot-Marie Jones has won over many of us Glee fans and I am all for some love for the coach. She is delightful and her character has been well-written so far. I hope Eric Bruskotter is a good singer because it would be sweet for her to be serenaded, to have a memorable romantic scene. Go, Coach Beiste!

11. Taylor says:

The recruiter’s supposed to play a part in Finn’s storyline too.

12. scorpo says:

Uh…..why did they cast a MAN as a love interest for Beiste?

• Kate from Canada says:

Because she is not gay, Scorpo. Try to see beyond the end of your nose.

• scorpo says:

uh…let’s do the math here. A female football coach that looks like a man? I am sure this all just leading up to her coming out, but do we really need her to come out? We all just assume she is a lesbian anyway, let her have a female love interest. Who cares?

• hkyblnd says:

I am just going to point out the ridiculous stereotypes you are setting out. It doesn’t matter what you look like you “should” be or what you are interested in and what that means you “should” be. There is every kind of person in this world that isn’t defined by what ignorant people expect. And you know what, her character is one of those set out to show that.

• Amber says:

um what does your opinion of her looking like a man have to do with the lesbian thing? not all women football coaches (the few that there are) are lesbian you should really like get over whatever prejudice you have over women in mens roles..it slightly irritates the rest of us loyal Beastie fans, i think coach beastie is the sweetest most misunderstood character throughout the whole show!

• Dumbbunny says:

Obviously you do. The show is already overpopulated on homosexuals (as long as you consider Santanna and Brittany to be lesbian/bi at least) So why would the show need another?

• RIGHT says:

Kurt
            Blaine
            Karofsky
            Santana
            Britney
            Sebastian

OH MY GOD, WHY ARE THESE STUPID GAYS OVERPOPULATING MY GLEE.

• RIGHT says:

I forgot Terri, Wes, Thad, David, Nick, Trent, and supposedly the entire rest of McKinley High on the straight list. BUT WHO CARES, I CANT SEE OVER ALL THESE HOMOSEXUALS.

• annie says:

There was an episode last year that Coach Bieste talked about her past. She mentioned never having been kissed, not having a relationship because of how she looked and that she was emotionally hurt. In this episode Will kisses her … it was a very touching episode …I think it’s great that they are having a love interest for her.

• Charlie says:

Props, Kate from Canada.

• Sam says:

Uh, just because Dot Marie may be gay doesn’t mean every character she plays has to be, genius. Dot Marie Jones is not playing Dot Marie Jones, she’s playing Coach Beiste. Thats why its called ACTING. What a revelation!

• Dumbbunny says:

Because casting a BOY as her love interest would be wrong. Also, she is not a lesbian, so she wouldnt be dating a female.

• cutiegleeluvr says:

well then, THAT sure is nice. x(

13. Peng9803 says:

Excuse me? What is THAT supposed to mean? She’s straight. Glee has a good amount of gay and bi characters but Beiste is not one of them.

So excited about this casting and this pairing!

14. Makayla says:

I Hope this happens I love her and think she needs to find happiness she does not think she is worthy of it and she it!

15. Kristen says:

Love Beiste! Can’t wait to see her in love!!!! :)

16. Jordan says:

Rub Baker!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it

17. Jaymie says:

Awwwwww Beiste <3
    I've been waiting for this storyline ever since Never Been Kissed. I'm so happy for her!
    I just hope they don't make a huge joke out of it like they did with that Puck-Lauren train wreck.

18. ?? says:

Is it Bieste or Beiste? People are spelling it both ways. Bieste is the way it would be spelled if it was a German name. Is it? I remember that she spelled her name in the first episode she was in, but I don’t remember how. Im putting my money on Bieste.

19. Lala says:

This type of love happens only on tv. In real life Beiste would be alone and mistreated by that football team. People suck, especially dudes :)

20. Bre says:

Beiste needs some lovin’!! Best idea I’ve heard in a while. Get you some, Beiste!

21. BruxB says:

This idea is BEAST! (That means good)

22. apple says:

Not all big people eat 24/7, how small minded can you be? I’m so happy coach gets a love interest. It’ll be so cute. :)

23. Caitlyn says:

I feel so connected with coach Beiste, I’m overweight and masculine more than I would like to be and I have always felt connected with Beistes story. I was hoping that she would find someone. I know it’s all being written but it gives me a little more hope that I won’t be alone always.

24. jack says:

I thought Bieste and Sue would have made an interesting couple. Can you picture the banter between those two?

25. Rachel says:

Really? I mean, really? We get a character who doesn’t feel like she needs to share her life with someone, and now they introduce a love interest? Way to go, people. A big part of her appeal was that the character was a full adult and had a successful life WITHOUT a partner, and now you’re wrecking that. Congrats.

• Mickey says:

I never got the impression that “she didn’t feel like she needed to share her life with someone”. She has stated in previous episodes that she was lonely. But she said she only seemed to attract guys who wanted to wrestle (and not in the fun way ;p ). I say way to go Beast!!

• nikki says:

I’d love to see a romance for Beiste.

And you are right; Beiste does have a successful independent life & etc. That is the thing though, love comes at you when you don’t need it & are not quite looking for it. That is not Beiste’s appeal though. The most moving parts about her character is her caring for her students and the fact she is just so damn genuine. Beiste and Kurt’s dad are the best characters on the show.

& oh my goodness, IT WOULD BE SO CUTE.

• Sam says:

Don’t be an idiot, yes, her appeal is that she managed to get this far without a partner and having never even been kissed, but you can tell from the episode that even though she is successful, confident and can look after herself doesn’t mean there isn’t a small part of her that wants to settle down and have someone to share her days with. And honestly, who can truthfully say that they really would rather be alone their whole life. So no, it’s not ruining it at all.

• Michelle says:

It seems to me that in real life, love finds those who are not seeking it. “Full” adults who have successful lives WITHOUT partners, have the most successful relationships WITH partners. :)

26. gayman50 says:

is Coach Beiste a woman? I thought it was a man playing a woman? or is she a transexual? am not trying to be funny, I am gay… with all the gender bending these days I didn’t want to assume anything, but a woman? really?

• Pat Secrest says:

Doesn’t anyone remember the episode where the boys were making fun of her and using her as a turn-off? She confided to Will that she is NOT GAY, she’s just a girl who wants to be loved and she had never been kissed. So Will kissed her. Remember? Not gay.

• Amanda says:

Dot Marie Jones is an incredibly sexy lesbian in a long term relationship. Coach Bieste is the character she plays. The character is heterosexual as explained in the Never Been Kissed episode. She is not transgendered, just beautifully butch. Personally, I wouldn’t mind her snapping a towel at me in the locker room!

• Gball Puckerman says:

I have known Dot Marie Jones My all my life she is all women..dosent even look like a MAN.

• Oh My! says:

She is an ex-athlete. Needed to have a lot of upper body strength for her sports (arm wrestling was one, and she was a champion). She may have taken lots of steroids. Who knows. I think she’s hot, regardless. :-)

27. google it says:

Dot Marie is gay and she has been with her partner for 7 years, not that it should make a difference in anyway. She’s a fantastic actress and her sexuality shouldn’t affect the types of storyline’s she acts out. You’d think after watching Glee and seeing how ignorant people can be about homosexuals, the fans would be a little more accepting and open minded….

• Oh My! says:

Curiosity isn’t the same as closed-mindedness. Most of the comments about gayness or transgenderism are made out of curiosity. (I did say most, not all.)

28. Erika Diaz. says:

5th episode is titled “first time”
    Cheers to Virgins <3

29. Mike says:

ALRIGHT!!!!! Go get ‘im,Coach!! I love the Coatch Beiste characer. And I think Dot-Marie would be one hell of a great gal to party with!!! This will HOPEFULLY break down some nasty walls that NEED to be broken down! EVERYONE should love and BE loved! Congrats to the writers of GLEE!! :)

30. Melanie says:

OMG! I knew he looked familiar! Let’s hope he doesn’t share any of his “art” with Bieste! (For my fellow CBML-heads!)

31. alice says:

she deserves it<3

32. Jan says:

Except that chicken isn’t a carb.

• Sam says:

No it isn’t, but pasta is, if you paid notice to either the last episode, or much more recently the very first line of this article, they are talking about pasta, and last time I checked pasta was a carbohydrate.

33. MaKenzie Maxwell says:

I believe Coach deserves some great romance. I cried when she revealed she had never been kissed; the first time Glee moved me like that. Dot brings so much depth to her character and delivers every time she is given the chance to shine. She will be earning some big awards in the near future; you’ll see.

34. Kristoffer says:

This should be interesting. She has turned out to be one of my favorite characters on the show.

35. Ellen.reiter says:

As someone you relates to Dot Marie you have no idea the pain she really feels. The writers need to show that her pain will never leave but this man will. When you live this life it just isn’t swept away by a man. Society views us like we are not meant to have love that no one could ever see past the apperance. Trust me it’s true. Let her have love the pain will come out.

• Sam says:

Why must she feel “pain” just because of how she looks, and if what you say is true about yourself, why should you either? The fact that she has gone onto a show where her characters name is literately pronounced “Beast” could show that she is comfortable with herself to have a pruning jokeof the way she looks. And I’m saying could because I don’t know how she feels, you don’t know how she feels, only she and those close around her do, so really you’re as bad as the so called society for presuming that just because she looks different she must be miserable. Just remember, it’s not society that defines us or tells us how we should feel, it’s the individual and how they make do with what they have.

36. Mark says:

I love Glee,even if last year was a mixed bag. After watching this weeks eps. I though it would be cool to bring on more Tony winning people that can sing & act, Jennifer Holliday would kill any song given to her!

37. Sean says:

OMG – I thought the same thing about Jennifer Holliday when I was watching the Dreagirls number.

38. DanD says:

I don’t know who the casting director was for Providence, but that show had more beautiful male guest stars than any show I can think of. Though, come to think of it, the show Sisters did have the early George Clooney…..

39. sm says:

Great he was funny on Major League movie. Go Beiste you go girl.

40. Yemima Lorenso says:

I never thought that Coach Beiest would have a love intrest.

41. Amoy says:

I’m so excited, Eric is my brother inlaw! So happy he got a role on a show that my whole family watches! Team Eric Bruskotter