Sons of Anarchy's Theo Rossi Details SAMCRO's 'Murky' Future, Tackling Racism Within the Club

Remember when TVLine warned you about things getting really dark for SAMCRO? Well, the time is upon us, beginning with this Tuesday’s installment of Sons of Anarchy (FX, 10/9c), and MC member Juan Carlos “Juice” Ortiz (played by Theo Rossi) has the unfortunate privilege of being at the center of it all.

Sons of Anarchy is always murky,” Rossi acknowledges, “but it’s about to go to a different level.”

Of course, the main obstacle Juice faces as the season progresses is maintaining his standing within the club while appeasing Charming’s fearless new sheriff (Rockmond Dunbar), who is threatening to reveal that Juice is actually of African-American decent — a huge no-no within the club’s bylaws.

Sons of Anarchy‘s Charlie Hunnam: Season 4 Will Change SAMCRO Forever

“[Showrunner] Kurt Sutter is touching on racism in a big way, [which is] an extremely important issue in the MC world,” Rossi explains. “How it plays out [within the season] is just going to be shocking, crazy and not what anybody thinks…like Kurt always does.”

The actor believes that “it’s just the right time to exploit this issue,” given that “there’s been so much talked about already [throughout the series], as far as what goes on with racism inside the motorcycle world. And I couldn’t be happier that Juice happens to be at the epicenter.”

And at the epicenter he most certainly is. Without spoiling anything, the Sons’ drug muling, Charming’s new enforcer, and Juice’s secret lineage come together over the next two episodes in a manner more intense and gruesome than the gritty drama has ever before seen.

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Sons of Anarchy!

Longtime SOA fans have oft noted that the unflinchingly loyal Juice is one of the show’s most prominent scene-stealers, a fact that is seemingly not lost on Sutter. “Kurt has eleven series regulars to deal with… and [still I've had] some really great, memorable scenes that the fans seem to have loved,” muses Rossi. “It’s really shown Juice as the soldier that he is, and what an enormous and integral part of the club he has become.”

“I’m just a huge fan of the show in an outsider way,” adds Rossi. “I’m a huge fan of the writing and I’m a huge fan of every actor on it, so to get to play in this world even more than I already have is fantastic.”

Excited to see Juice’s big, juicy story arc? Any speculation on how it’ll play out? Sound off in the comments. And for all my TV news and interviews, follow me on Twitter @MegMasters.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Previews

1. alr says:

I’m having trouble understanding this storyline so far. What about all the trouble they went through with the League in Season 2? The club hated those guys! Plus the club dealings with the Mayans and Niners just leaves me very confused about Juice’s storylines. Will be interested to see what Sutter is doing.

• DP says:

The issue with the League was not about race but about them pushing drugs in Charming. As far as their working with the niners and Mayans, that is purely a money making partnership. They overlook the race issue to make sure they have a supply of guns and money. Kind of like the wife who overlooks her husband cheating because he pays all her bills

• Tyler says:

Also, I think Clay’s said a couple times that SAMCRO has “no problem with brown.” They’re not white-supremacist, they’re fine with the Asian and Latin gangs, they just don’t like the black gangs. That’s why they let Juice in the club even though he’s, supposedly, Puerto Rican.

• Coop says:

It’s not that they don’t like black gangs, they get along well with the Grim Bastards. It’s just the long-standing culture of the club that prohibits black members.

2. d says:

I’m too scared for Juice’s future to speculate, but as always I can’t wait to see what Kurt Sutter has come up with. I may curse him later but I’m always thrilled to watch.

3. @air says:

Their problem with Zobrist was that he wanted to deal drugs in Charming and threatened SAMCRO because of who they sell guns to. As for SAMCRO’s relationships w/ the Mayans and Niners, business is business.

4. Joe Jackson says:

Juice will end of dead. SAMCRO will off him because of him working with the local law. We will find out some of the club already knew who his father was. They do background checks on all probies

• TheDude says:

That would suck on so many levels. Juice is my favorite character and provides like at least 50% of the funny moments that they pepper in amongst the melodrama over the years. It would be horrible to lose that.

• Amanda says:

I don’t think so. The club relies on the paperwork, if the paperwork says Juice is Puerto Rican then that is what he is. As was said in the latest epsilon, half the guys don’t know who or what their fathers are. In the end I hope everything will work out for Juice because he is so loyal to the club.

5. james says:

Confused about something, in the last episode they met with the charter in Tucson, and I’m pretty sure there were black members (very dark skin latinos at least), ditto for the club they patched over (the tribe).

• shaun says:

Yeah,I’m very confused as well….how can they be racist at all?

• Dan says:

thats the thing-the MC reresented in the (“Una Venta”-episode before last) were only affiliates, not a full on Samcro chapter, e.g they only wear the rocker on their cuts to show their affiliation to the club, every 1% club from the diciples to the the sons of silence have this particular rule, 1 down as you know as the grim bastards (in real life) are the exception to the case by being a primarilyy black/latino MC, though not all ride cruisers, alot ride slams etc

6. Dan says:

7. Frank says:

Actually your both wrong, the club was samtaz, sons of anarchy motorcycle club, tucson, arizona. not samcro cus thats redwood original, the founding charter. still an soa charter tho. and its to be expected that a charter that close to the border is likely to have alot of mexicans in I guess.

8. Jade says:

Just watched the “Fruit for the Crows” episode. Theo Rossi has some impressive acting moments showing his range in this episode! Don’t kill him off! Make Jax President & force Clay to retire!

9. Donna says:

Heard the branch crack while juice was hanging himself. What will the club do to him?

10. kim says:

Juice is my man. I would love to meet him. He is fine. Jax, op, and juice are the best club members. I’ll literally cry if he dies. I almost cried when I thought they were going to kill him off before. I’m too wrapped in this show. But I love it. and I love juice for sure.

11. brent says:

business is diff from personal first off. Dealing with them and being with them is diff. Secondly they don’t like them doesn’t mean they want to kill them like the brotherhood did in season 2. The brotherhood is more hard core hatred then SAMCRO. And the brotherhood caused problems for the find to begin with.