Ratings: House Stays Healthy, Terra Nova Holds Rock-Steady, CBS' Men Settles Some More

The doctor is in… good condition, even behind bars and minus his leading lady.

Fox’s House kicked off its new season on Monday night with an audience of 9.77 million total viewers and a 3.9 demo rating. That’s down 9 and 7 percent, respectively, from the drama’s year-ago premiere (in the cozier, less-competitive 8 pm time slot), but up double digits from where it left off with its controversial May finale.

Terra Nova: 10 Burning Questions Answered!

Leading into House was the freshman drama Terra Nova, which with 8.3 million viewers and an adjusted 3.1 rating maintained 100 percent of its premiere’s demo delivery. That gives Terra Nova the best Week 2 retention of any freshman show (with Fox’s New Girl and The X Factor rounding out the Top 3).

The night’s other headlines: Two and a Half Men (17.3 million viewers/6.1 rating) in its third week dropped another 18 percent in the demo. (That said, Ashton is still delivering 19 and 45 percent larger numbers that Mr. Sheen’s February swan song.) Also, The CW’s Hart of Dixie, now opposite heavy hitter House, held steady and even grew in its second half hour, averaging 1.8 mil and a 0.8.

Dancing With the Stars Recap: Year-View Mirror

Elsewhere:

8 pm | Dancing With the Stars (16.5 million viewers/3.1 rating) added a few viewers but dipped 6 percent to deliver its lowest-rated performance show ever. The CBS sitcombo of How I Met Your Mother (10.5 mil/4.5) and 2 Broke Girls (11.4 mil/4.4) held steady, The Sing-Off (4.9 mil/1.8) was up a tick, and Gossip Girl (1.45 mil/0.7) drew a few more eyeballs while staying flat in the demo.

9 pm | Leading out of Monday’s most-watched program, Mike & Molly (13.24 mil/4.3) dipped 10 percent in the demo from its premiere.

Exclusive Castle First Look: Nathan Fillion Reunites With Drive Co-Star Kristin Lehman

10 pm | Castle (11.6 million viewers/2.6) led in total audience but dropped 16 percent in the demo, placing behind a rock-steady Hawaii Five-0 (10.9 mil/3.2). NBC’s The Playboy Club (3.39 mil/1.2) was down 15 and 8 percent, in its third week.

What was your must-see Monday TV?

1. Martina says:

No surprise 2.5 men keeps dropping, it’s lost it’s premise, all the satire has gone

• Joseph says:

Men was okay , not sure where it will land by the end of the Season, and Ashton really needs to deliver his lines so they don’t sound so robotic but it worked and has some potential.

TerraNova was a lot better this week and lacked most of the plot issues of last week, plus it does have Dean Geyer , a South African White Hunk , who was part of Australian Idol back in 2003. The issue of this show seems to be uneven and exhausting story lines. Not looking forward to their disease episode next week after just dealing with building their town on a breeding ground , btw ,, who signed off on the impact study for that development.

• Thomas says:

You bring up a valid point. Out of all the pilgrimages that have come to Terra Nova, why is it just now that the breeding ground problem came up? I imagine the creatures would have attacked a long time ago.

• maggie says:

Martina is so right. There is no satire, nor is there any comedy. The verbal exchanges between Alan & Charlie were really funny — they were witty, clever, and the timing between the two actors was great. But having made Ashton Kutcher’s character, Walden, into a rich computer geek with no social skills & a permanent case of truly arrested development, there is nothing like that. Walden comes off as dumb as a post, & I don’t think the humor in that can last forever. The bit about how irresistible he is to all women who come within 20 feet of him is wearing thin, too. Alan has been reduced to nothing but a wheedling freeloader, and I don’t know what they’re going to do with Jake. He & Walden are on the same level in many ways, but the dumb & dumber thing was better done with Eldridge. I do not think I have laughed once at the new Men. The writing is bad, the chemistry is non-existent, & the whole thing feels forced. Once the novelty of Ashton wears off, I doubt that Men will continue to be a hit for CBS. From now on, the only episodes of Men that I’m watching will be the re-runs.

2. Sam says:

“with an audience of 8.77 million total viewers and a 3.9 demo rating. That’s down only slightly from the drama’s year-ago premiere
    Uh, last year’s premiere pulled in almost 11 mil viewers, I’d say that’s down more than slightly. Keep spinning, Matt.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I was referring to the demos, but if only for your clarification, I have made an edit. Thank you for playing!

• Micha says:

It was way down from last year premiere and with a much better time slot. Those who were saying that millions of viewers would come back because Cuddy is gone need to shut up. It was the premiere with the lowest ratings.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

OK, I’m feeling plucky: How is a time slot in which Fox’s four rivals collectively command 8 million more viewers “better”?

• Lala says:

Don’t worry Matt, it’s just a bitter Huddy fan who just can’t deal with the fact that the show is doing pretty good without their boycott. Despite all the changes in time slots, and despite all of the relentless bashing they’ve thrown towards the show all these months.

The show doesn’t need you Huddies. Bye bye!

• QWERTY says:

We got ourselves a [H]ousefly! Where’s my swatter??

• Liz says:

Yeah, bye Huddies! Obviously people want to see classic House not Huddy! Personally, LE’s absence is a reason for me to tune in again. The “leading” (LOL) lady was more like an annoying lady lately. Won’t miss her at all.

• Ariella says:

^^Keep banging that drum. Guess all the other “returning” House fans didn’t hear the call? I’m sure they’ll show up next week…

• Alicia says:

@Matt, so a later primetime slot, which allows for a lead-in, isn’t “better” only because House can’t keep ratings pace with the other shows scheduled at the same time?

• Mischa says:

Well that only means that all those millions people who chose to watch other shows doesn´t want to watch House. And yes, 9 pm was always a much better time slot it´s just the audience find other better shows to watch.

• awelle says:

From what I gathered about ratings on tvbythenumbers, the 9pm time slot is better, because it has higher HUT levels, meaning there are more people watching TV in general?

I actually really liked last night´s ep and thought it was very refreshing after last season, which dragged. Shows also usually decline at least a little with later seasons, so I think those ratings are quite good for House in any case.

I miss Chuck on Mondays. :(

• sandra says:

House had last season a 4,2, i guess 3,9 isn`t a big drop. Especially if you consider that house has a tougher competition with 2 1/2 men, Mike & Molly and DWTS in his timeslot. IMO no other show could compete with these Blockbusters. House did fine last night!!

• BRETT says:

Hey Sam, this is the last time anyone will explain this to you: Networks care about the DEMO ratings, not overall viewers. The only network that weighs total viewers a bit more heavily is CBS. So Matt was factual in reporting that, as the demo slipped only slightly.

3. Alex says:

Well, Castle is my must watch for me. Glad to see it’s doing well in the ratings. :)

4. Jay says:

Didn’t House get 9.77 million total viewers, not 8.77?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Thanks for the catch; still getting used to this new “compact” keyboard at HQ :-/ (And now I see why Sam’s feathers got so ruffled.)

5. Dessy says:

Good to see Terra Nova holding steady. The repeat must have helped out.

• Mika says:

I admit that I tried “Terra Nova” again after last week’s disappointment versus my expectations. I have to say that the second episode was better for me, but I still turned it off before it ended. 13 episodes and then DONE is my prediction.

6. Jamie says:

Matt, what were Hart of Dixie’s half-hours?

7. Lynne says:

Glad to see Terra Nova hold steady and Mike and Molly is a success for CBS. America loves Melissa.

8. Tammy says:

Do you have w18-34 info on the CW shows? Are they still using that as a measure?

• BRETT says:

LOL…no.

• Jamie says:

Travis Yanan will probably post the W18-34 numbers on Twitter this afternoon.

Last week
      Hart of Dixie got a 1.4 and Gossip Girl got a 1.6 I believe.

And contrary to what BRETT says, The CW still targets W18-34, according to their president.

• Tammy says:

Thank you! Last year they were always included with the ratings but now they seem harder to find and I was wondering if that was maybe because the CW didn’t care anymore. Thank you for clarifying.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Still procrastinating here…. This week GG did a 1.5 in W18-34, HoD a 1.4.

• Lisa says:

I’m 40/Female and the CW has some great shows – Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, Ringer, The Secret Circle.

9. Liz says:

Playboy Club = DOA. One of the first to be pulled from air/cancellation of the year? I think so.

Glad about Terra Nova. It’s different and I like it for that! I could use less dialogue and more fighting. The dialogue is atrocious.

10. Gaby says:

Matt,
    I love you!

11. sam says:

Wow, I hoped House would bring much stronger numbers after all the promotion and moving to the better timeslot. Not a good sign. The next few episodes will be crucial.

• sk says:

-against 2+1/2 men,how so?
      -Look at the numbers for “Glee”,X-Factor” and “Terra Nova” first,when you want to talk about shows,that got a LOT of promotion and those are in there third and first seasons.
      -Grey´s and DHW are also in there 8th season,take a look!
      -The Economy is weak in the US,people watch more comedies at times like these,nothing new.

• sam says:

There is always a competition – statistically and historically 9 PM is the best slot for House’s targeted demo, period. I am not judging, just saying that 7% drop is nothing to be happy about. With such (relatively!) mediocre start we may end up with much lower numbers further down and without 9th season.

• Get used to it says:

There won’t be a 9th season of House, in spite of HL’s public “ambivalence.” Next spring, he’s gone… He’s bought a sh*t-load of skinny black ties and white shirts from JC Penny, so he can hit the blues trail. Good numbers or bad, House is done after this season.

12. destiny says:

matt, i just wanted to say kudos for interacting with your users! i really appreciate some communication. keep doing your great work!

13. sk says:

Looks like there weren´t millions of people who just watch for Cuddy,after all – great numbers for House in such a competitive time slot – it improved on “Lie to me” by 74%.And yes,numbers will decline next week and during the season,just like anyone elses.
    LE fans should now concentrate on TGW numbers – have fun.

• sam says:

Nobody of the regulars was in this episode (except for the new girl), so it’s really hard to tell. LE’s fans could have tuned to see how her exit would be handled. The true effect of her absence will be seen later, I think. The new girl is really bad IMO, at least Olivia Wilde managed to look and sound intelligent, not the case here.

• sk says:

They all knew,that Cuddys exit wouldn´t be “handled” in that episode – they watch the pre-views and hated on them,so I know they knew.
        Of course,like always the second episode will be lower rated and then they will put it on their flag – delusions can´t be cured by reason.
        Go and compare House with Grey´s and DHW,they are the same “age” – come back and tell how much better they do.

• sam says:

No offense but could you please learn how to use the space key? It is really hard to read you. Thanks in advance. :) Anyway, generalization to strengthen an argument never works. Somehow I don’t think it is in your ability to speak for all LE fans. With all honesty, her fanbase is quite impressive, but so is House’s. So far the only “real” evidence we got are the numbers that dropped due to whatever reason. Considering how many people voiced their dissatisfaction with “Huddy” storyline, one would expect much better return, that’s why I expressed my concern, that’s all. Let’s see how the season progresses and then draw conclusions.

• @sam says:

The House season 7 finale drew a 3.3 adults 18-49 rating and The overall audience number was 9.11Mil.. It is in my opinion an improvement.
            Additionally it has to compete with three of the most watched HIT shows (DWTS,2HM and Mike&Molly) this season.

The ratings for House are very good and if i`m right it could be 2# drama of the week after NCIS.

I get the feeling you just want to denigrate the show. It makes you look bitter, just saying.

• sam says:

Sorry, heads should be compared to heads, not to tails. Statistics is very particular in that regard. Comparing to the previous season’s premiere, the numbers have dropped due to various reasons, one of them being a time slot shift.

Obviously, I can’t tell you how to feel, feelings are not rational, but your hunch is not accurarate. I am not judging the creative aspect of the show in any capacity, just trying to see how things work. And if lack of celebratory mood over decreased ratings you perceive as bitterness, so be it. My, also irrational, hunch tells me that in situation like this it’s better to remain sceptical than to rejoice over artificial hype. Sorry if I offended you.

• Thomas says:

@@sam, Are you serious? House is definitely NOT the second most-watched (or best-performing) drama. It’s only just aired so there’s only the premiere data to go by but PLENTY of other dramas had a better showing. Several bested it in total viewership and demos, while others had higher viewership and were in the same demo ballpark.
            NCIS – 19.55 mil total viewers, 4.2 demo
            Grey’s Anatomy – 10.53 total, 4.2 demo
            Criminal Minds – 14.1 total, 4.1 demo
            Hawaii 5-0 – 12.57 total, 3.7 demo
            NCIS: LA – 16.69 total, 3.6 demo
            Castle – 14.35 total, 3.4 demo

So you might wanna check your “facts”…

• @Thomas says:

Oh Sorry i checked the Top25 in the demo of last week and most of the time i ignore the overall audience b/c it is not as important. But if you compare the premiers you are right ,okay!?
            Anyway i`m fine with the fourth place in the demo in the drama category. ;)

BTW i don`t understand the discussion, the ratings of the house premier was better than the ratings of the house episodes last season, the premier aside. I don`t contend that house is still this big ratings hit.
            Though i can notice that it is the first time the show has to compete with three other top-rated-hit shows without a strong lead in, like American idol.
            I think it is kind of arrogant to say, if it were a popular or succesful drama it would be able to beat these DWTS,2HM & Mike&Molly. I don`t know what you expect?

• jj says:

yeah, who’d a thunk that odette annable would actually make me miss 13? i also would never buy that the prison would hire hot young doctor to work there. according to tv, the profession with the hottest people in it is medicine. have these people ever been to a real life hospital? i get that amber tamblyn was their bid to hire someone who looked more realistic, but come on. do better. oh and i just want to take the opportunity again to say how woefully stupid i think New Girl is. Because judging from the first two eps and the strangely sycophantic reaction of the critics to this dross, it can’t be said enough!

• ^^ says:

It does make you wonder just how long a young, pretty girl like her would keep her virginity in an environment such as a men’s prison. If she does, in fact, come from big bucks, why is she working at a low-paying, go-nowhere job like a prison? Doesn’t make sense, does it? Couldn’t the writers come up with a more realistic way for House to meet her? Their lack of imagination over the past couple of years is very disappointing.

However, I have to agree with Sam on this one. We’ll just have to wait and see how things play out over the next few weeks. The premier “Huddy” episode drew pretty decent ratings, too, but those who couldn’t stop barfing stopped watching after a few weeks and the ratings slipped. Maybe all of the Huddies will eventually dry their eyes, wipe their noses and change the channel, thereby costing the show a few hundred thousand viewers. We’ll see.

• Ariella says:

You’re right, and where are all the people who claimed they could now watch House again since Cuddy’s gone? Wouldn’t all those “real” fans flooding back have upped the ratings? Guess they didn’t tune in…

• Cindy says:

Yeah and there were so many ppl who said to stop watch House and still the ratings are en par with the big Huddy premier last season. It is probably a plus/minus calculation.
        Anyway placing any show at that time spot is borderline suicidal, and yet, house holds his own.

House is No1 drama last night!! *Bows*

• Serena says:

Can we stop this Cuddy/anti-Cuddy diatribe, please? It’s really boring. Lots of fans, like me, are still watching ALTHOUGH they’re missing Cuddy, and although thet’re not enjoyng the show that much anymore. And there are people who hated S7 final but decided to give a look at the season premiere. Twenty vicodin was just ok and I don’t think the writers will be able to do anything better during the season. Not that bad for a show in its eighth season, of course, but it’s time to end it.

• Joan says:

AMEN!
        it’s the last season, bad ratings or not, is it really important?
        I don’t think so.
        I can’t wait to see the last ep of the show, because I’m not really interesting in this new team and the storyline with the little dr who has a big nose. It’s time to end it, how much eps will we have this year? 15?

14. Debbie says:

It’s nice to see that Hawaii Five-0 still holding firm. Along with Castle.

15. J. Norman says:

I had / have no doubts that House’s numbers at the start of this season are going to be anywhere from OK to pretty good.
    There is a whole lot of anticipation concerning the return of this character. For that reason, last nights and next weeks ratings will probably be “pretty good”.
    Although I think that last nights 3.9 was a bit of a disapointment to TPTB.
    After next week, how well the show does depends on how well David Shore and company can scramble, explain, and rationalize this seasons script.
    With regard to last nights episode, I found the explanations for Houses actions and predicament as “marginally acceptable”.
    I kind of laughed at the obvious digs at the critics when the female Dr. commented (to paraphrase) “Why are you here?, with no priors, and no one was hurt”
    To that end, Shore still doesn’t get the whole thing. How many people with no priors. . and far less intent than House. . have ended up in prison after putting others in harms way. And. . oh yeah. ..isn’t fleeing the country to avoid arrest a felony?

And as always, there is always someone ready to put their lifes work and career in jeopardy to protect House. This time it was the young prison Dr.

16. Jaela says:

My Monday Must-see tv was HIMYM and 2BG I actually adore the latter show! :)

17. Lisa says:

I LOVE CASTLE

18. Fernando says:

The playboy club should move to The Cw it really is a good show but it’s just not being giving the chance to shine.

19. Christina says:

Nice to see that Hart of Dixie held steady, and is building on its lead-in.

20. kevin says:

Start of some really bad news. The Playboy Club is offically a goner after three episodes and hoping FREE AGENTS is about to do the same. Two and a Half Men is now dropping when the revamped comedy was 28 million in week one, 20 million in week two and now over 17 million last night. Is Ashton Kutcher trying so hard to be DUH WINNING?! New season of HOUSE was truly okay but the Cuddy-free season means it likely becoming the series’ last if possible.

21. Lois says:

Two and a Half Men’s numbers have gone down 2 weeks in a row. My prediction is that they will continue to go down each week, and will not be back next season.

22. Jess says:

I enjoyed last night’s House, and will be tuning in weekly this season. Last year the 8pm slot was busy for me with HIMYM and Chuck, but this year i can concentrate on House at 9!!! :D

23. Jamie says:

You’re welcome. They’re hard to find because nobody really asks for them and TVbytheNumbers aren’t convinced The CW really sells their shows based on that demo.

PS. I made a mistake, GG got a 1.7 last week not a 1.6.

24. Aidan Williams says:

I am still happy that Two and a Half Men is still on top so happy with the ratings.

25. D says:

The worst part about all this is when next week rolls along and House is down, detractors will barge in guns blazing about how people hated the premiere as opposed to it being an old show in it’s eighth season, and that every show sheds viewers over time.

• @D says:

Except of course for NCIS (in it’s 9th season) and Criminal Minds (in it’s 7th), whose ratings have risen even as the shows age.
      Not to mention, last year House’s second episode was down only 7 percent from the premiere. Wonder how it’ll stack up this season…

• @DD says:

Yeah let`s all cry what a Loser-show has become. It hits only 3,8 in the demo and 9,8 in the overall audience. How horrible!! *cries*

*facepalm* Come on geeks have a look at the statistics and get a taste of TVreality.

The ratings of House are good, better than i expected and I enjoyed the episode pretty much. *double win for me* ;)
        the numbers will drop next week for sure. I don`t have to be nostradamus, only have a look at the tables and compare. Calm down, fans!! It is the last season anyway. Lets enjoy it.

26. J says:

another big drop next week for that pathetic two half men show.

27. carla says:

No reason to get all exercised over the numbers for the “House” premiere. They were O.K., but certainly not outstanding by any means.

Down 7 percent from last year’s debut show is not a great way to launch the new season. How the premiere stacks up against last season’s finale is irrelevant. The crucial thing is that “House” is now shown in a timeslot (9 p.m.) which has far more viewers than last year and therefore should have garnered a much larger audience share than it did compared to last year. Instead, the show dropped quite a bit. There is no evidence that the anti-Cuddy, anti-Huddy whiners flocked back to the show in significant numbers.

More importantly, “House” has lost the buzz that used to propel attention in past seasons. As the new doc, lovely as she is, Odette Annable is no match for the great Hugh Laurie in the acting category. And she certainly is no match for anyone else in generating high levels of fan excitement and support. The show is limping to the finish line.

28. HOUSESUCKSWITHOUT CUDDY says:

House sucks without Cuddy – PERIOD and as more viewers who don’t READ about the show, but just watch it realize that Lisa Edelstein won’t be back, all involved will wish the “paycut” was given to the horrible writers of the show, where deserved, and Edelstein should have been given a raise for doing her best with what those wanna be writers, or hacks did to her character. Now they are trying to publicly hack at the real Lisa instead. She has class, and she has guts, and she walked out on a dying show in it’s final season with her dignity still intact no matter what kind of smear campaign they try. Who do you dummies think came up with even the lame-name “Huddy”??? THE WRITERS! I hope they all get fired, and if I were Lisa Edelstein, they couldn’t pay me enough to come back. The writing staff must be all related to the producers and directors of the show – maybe it is their teenage children … I am not surprised at all the show has bad ratings – watch them continue to tank as people realize that Lisa and her character are gone for good and we are left with some decent actors doing their best with terrible writing. – Remember I TOLD YOU SO!

29. ^^ says:

Sorry, but I just CAN’T let you have the last word.