Glee Recap: Viva La Diva-Off!

You can have your Yankees Vs. Tigers. Tonight’s installment of Glee featured diva against diva going head-to-head in the World Series of High-School Musical Auditions. And yeah, it was exciting enough to make me mix sports- and musical theater-metaphors with reckless abandon. If you somehow got distracted perusing Breadstix’s new delivery menu and missed the episode, please allow me to catch you up — in the classic “here’s what you missed on Glee” format:

Will found Emma’s stash of wedding mags and came clean by sharing his own embarrassing periodicals (ewwwww), but when she refused to introduce him to her mom and dad, he boldly invited them to dinner and found out they were “ginger supremacists” (or as Mr. Pilsbury described it, “ginger preservationists”) who only approved of mixing (and mating) with other redheads. Oh, they’re also awful parents, and their meanness reactivated Emma’s OCD in such a hardcore way, the episode ended with Will and Emma praying to God to help her get better. Speaking of high-maintenance parental units, Mike Chang got dragged to the principal’s office by his father (Mr. Mike Chang) to discuss his A- (aka “Asian F”) in chemistry. Prognosis? Time to cut back on glee club, drama club, and possible vampire girlfriend Tina Cohen-Chang. But Mike skipped his tutoring sesh to try out (rather awesomely) for West Side Story, and then his mom revealed she’d given up her own dancing dreams back in the day, and that the two of ‘em would break the news to dear ole’ daddy. Cue: Mike Chang’s infectious smile. Cue: Mike giving his mom a dancing lesson. Cue: Me reaching for the Kleenex. Mama’s boys FTW!

In other news from McKinley, Kurt dismissed Brittany’s chances in the campaign for senior-class president till the bubbleheaded blonde’s absolutely smashing flashmob whipped the school’s female population into a frenzy. (No, Michelle Bachmann, this is not the answer for you.) And in a plot development that made as much sense as Season 3’s lack of Karofsky, Rachel considered throwing her hat in the class-president ring despite her thunderous unpopularity — and despite it causing friction with her bestie Kurt.

That wasn’t the only frenemy showdown causing friction, however: Mercedes’ new boyfriend Marcus convinced her it was time to stop playing supporting roles to Rachel’s lead, and while it resulted in a burst of confidence before her West Side Story tryout for the role of Maria, it also brought about a new and cantankerous streak that found her at odds with Mr. Schue, throwing a tantrum during New Directions booty camp that was a throwback to a classic scene from Dreamgirls. After a drama-club callback audition in which Mercedes and Rachel both did what seemed like equally lovely renditions of “Out Here on My Own” (not from West Side Story, naturally), Beiste, Artie, and Emma double-cast the role — one week for Rachel, one week for Mercedes. (The eventual casting of Rachel, Blaine, Santana, and Mike Chang was all very reminiscent of The Glee Project elimination montages, no?) When Ms. Berry couldn’t honestly say she’d outsung Ms. Jones at their callback, though, Mercedes forgot everything she’d learned in kindergarten, decided against sharing, dropped out of the play, dropped out of New Directions, and dropped into Shelby Corcoran’s office offering to join her new, rival show choir. Oh, and also, Mercedes might possibly maybe be preggers. And that’s what you missed on Glee.

Now, before we get to the week’s musical numbers, let’s run through a couple of the episode’s memorable bits of dialogue.

* “I kicked a fire hydrant when I found out Ace of Cakes was canceled.” –Beiste, explaining her crutches

* “Oh, so you’re cool with flushing McKinley High’s future down the magical, poop-stealing water chair?” –Brittany, questioning Rachel’s vote for Kurt

* “Yeah, Kurt looks like Jimmy Fallon’s butch daughter, but a vote for him would only empower yet another frank and beans.” –Santana, arguing why McKinley needs a girl as senior-class president

* “Did you know Breadstix delivers? It’s awesome.” –Bieste, pumped at her lunchtime reverie

* “If anyone else got Tony — including me — the wrath of Sondheim would fall upon McKinley like a plague of Shubert Alley locusts.” –Kurt, discussing casting possibilities for McKinley’s West Side Story production (Did anyone else want to do a cartwheel to celebrate Kurt’s maturity in backing away from a role for which he was clearly not intended?)

Jerks of the Week
Emma’s mom observing her daughter’s OCD outbreak and joking, “Looks like Freaky Deaky is coming down with a mean case of the cleanies.”

Shelby exiting a lunchtime chat with Beiste with this parting shot: “Enjoy your enormous bowl of disgusting, creamy pasta.” Shut your pie-hole, carb-denier!

And now, let’s talk about the music…

“Spotlight,” Mercedes
I liked having a modern J.Hud ditty in the mix, and Amber Riley sounded strong and connected to the material, but I had two problems here: The arrangement was so close to the original, it was a little bit of a shoulder-shrug, and even worse, the lyrics are about a woman dealing with unwelcome and untrusting scrutiny from a lover — not about sharing the spotlight. Oh what I’d have given for a better song choice, or a mashup that made more sense. Musical grade: B+ Relevance to the plot: C+

“Run the World (Girls),” Brittany Rated D for Dayyyyyummmmm! Who run this motha…? The Lady Pearce (or Heather Morris), obvs.
Musical grade: A Relevance to the plot: A-

“Cool,” Mike Chang
Okay, so Mike’s not the strongest singer in New Directions, and Harry Shum Jr.’s not the strongest singer in the Glee cast. But this West Side Story audition was performed with such verve and swagger and charisma (and such artfully exposed biceps) that I’m kinda wondering why dude didn’t get cast as Tony. Anyone else?
Musical grade: A Relevance to the plot: A

“It’s All Over,” Mercedes and Booty Camp Attendees
Oh how I wish this scene gelled better than it did. Amber Riley sung what she brung, and brought the world-weariness and rage of Ms. Effie White. But why did Mercedes = Effie, but the other 100 people in the scene = New Directions members? Also: When has Mercedes ever been anything other than a team player and New Directions MVP? Seriously, nobody’s going to cut her slack for a bad week?
Musical grade: C+ Relevance to the plot: C

“Out Here on My Own,” Rachel vs Mercedes
I support all Rachel-Mercedes diva-offs, whether friendly (“Take Me or Leave Me”) or tense (like this one). What’s not to love about two massive-voiced ladies throwing down in the subject that Glee does best? (Belting 101, I mean.) That said, why didn’t the casting directors choose a number from the musical in question? This just don’t make no kinda sense, if you know what I’m saying. Also: I have to admit I want these two to be friends again!
Musical grade: A- Relevance to the plot: B+

“Fix You,” Schue
My jury is still out on this one. I know Schue is the adult cornerstone of Glee, but most of the time I find myself wanting him to go the way of the teachers on Peanuts. That said, I was really feeling for Emma, crumbled and humbled, praying on the bedroom floor, so I can’t be too mad at the performance. I’ll come back with a grade next week, after I’ve had more time to ponder, if that’s okay with you.
Musical grade: N/A Relevance to the plot: N/A

What did you think of this week’s Glee? Which plot points made you happy, and which had you looking for a rewrite? What was your favorite musical number? Sound off below, and for all my Glee recaps and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Carly says:

I really don’t understand your comment about Mercedes always working hard and being a team player, this issue has been brought up before. They mentioned her never practicing and she always had the diva attitude, it wasn’t just one bad week. I didn’t like how Rachel was made to feel guilty at the end eventhough Mercedes was given the part and turned it down. This episode has actually made me like Rachel, almost, until the whole running against Kurt for class president thing

• Snsetblaze says:

Ditto to your last sentence.

• Wrong says:

Negative on you last sentence. This episode made me hate kurt. It is sad I used to love him, but now I am done with him. He gets on my nerves. Rachel will not be President by any means, at least I don’t she will.But she is not wrong for running at all. Kurt needs to stop being a baby. His whole woe is me attitude is making me sick.

• Sookie says:

Really? I thought Kurt had a reason to be upset. Rachel who was supposed to be his “bestie” suddenly decides to steal his idea of running for class president. Not that he should think she is any competition for either him or Brittany. Remember no one at the school likes her.

• amy says:

It seems to be ok for Mercedes to audition against Rachel, her friend, or for Blaine to audition against Kurt, his boyfriend, or for Brittany to run against Kurt her friend. But Rachel si horrible for running aginst Kurt her friend.

Ok . Can you image if Rachel went to Mercedes and got mad at her for auditioning for a part she wanted?

Double standard for Rachel all the time.

• janie says:

Honestly no one at the school likes kurt either.. did you see the people’s faces when kurt was hanging up his believe in magic posters?? I think that Britney will win just because she has the popularity of the cheerios behind her…

and to respond to what someone else.. i think it was amy said.. the reason why kurt was really mad at rachel (and even finn was)for running against him was not because she was running against him but because of the timing. If she had said at the beginning hey i want to run too, kurt wouldve been ok with it but since rachel just seems to be grasping at ideas to get into college when she thought she wasnt going to make it in the play.. and she stole kurt’s idea.. thats why he was mad.. not to mention at the beginning she promiised kurt her vote but then during britney’s who rules the world.. girls dance rachel was down there dancing with britney and I think that hurt kurt’s feelings too..

• yep says:

Yeah Amy It’s always Rachel this or that screwed someone over. When those you’ve mentioned Brittany Mercedes etal. but not Rachel. As unpopular as Kurt and Rachel are they wouldn’t win any office anyway. Nobody would vote for them. Especially, when Kurt was humiliated at prom just for meanness. Rachel feeling defeat to Mercedes during 1st audition then signed up to run for office. She was just like Kurt in great need for exra curriculars to get into NYADA. Why is it ok for Brittany to run against Kurt but not Rachel is beyond me. Rachel said “if” she won she would choose him as vice pres and vice versa.

2. J says:

I thought It’s All Over was AMAZING! My favorite musical number in a long time. I love how they all took part in it and Mercedes sounded great and it was just fun to watch.

• beth says:

I completely agree – LOVED it! It didn’t matter that some of the plot points didn’t always mesh with the song because I took the song to be completely from Mercedes’ point of view, skewed as it may be. I SO wanted to hear “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going” right afterwards, but I guess that wouldn’t have kept with the direction they were going. Overall the episode was very well done in my opinion!

3. Thinker says:

The reason why they’re not singing songs from West side story for the auditions? Glee is obviously gearing up for a West side story special for the episode in which the musical is staged, a la Rocky Horror Picture Show and they don’t want to use up the songs before that.

• Snsetblaze says:

They’ve already used some of the West Side Story songs for auditions (Somewhere, Something’s Coming and Cool). If they do an episode ala Rocky Horror, they might only show the ones they haven’t used: Maria (Tony), One Hand, One Heart and Tonight (Tony and Maria), Sgt. Krupke and Jet Song (Riff), America (Anita and Bernardo) and A Boy Like that (Anita), I Feel Pretty (Maria) and I Have a Love (Maria/Anita).

4. J says:

Wait, so who’s playing Bernanrdo? ‘Cause I want wait for Santana to go all Rita Moreno on his ass during America.

• Snsetblaze says:

Unless they come up with someone new (maybe that Glee Project kid), I’m thinking Puck is the only choice left. If Kurt is not meant for Tony, he’s certainly not meant for Bernardo. Finn’s just not a good enough dancer.

5. Kate says:

Not one of Glee’s better episodes! I loved Coach Bieste and Mike Chang but hated Mercedes. Please tell me we aren’t in for a Mercedes-centric season…that would be awful! And why do we keep seeing her sing? She’s not that good!

I liked seeing Rachel vulnerable and scared but hope she and Kurt get back to being friends soon! Loved that Finn was so supportive of Rachel!

6. Alicia says:

Kurt in my opininon was the only character that both made me smile and mad in the same episode! It’s only a class presidency it doesn’t define your life! I actually thought all the episodes this seasons were good, better than some of the one’s in second!

• Lily says:

According to Kurt, the class presidency DOES define his future because he needs some meaningful extra curricular activities to improve his resume. He already failed to get the male lead in West Side Story so he really put all his hopes on this class presidency… If he also fails in this, which I think he will, what is there else for him to do to improve his chances having a better future ? community theater ? Shelby ?

7. Kate says:

Mercedes has to be one of the most annoying characters in the history of ever. I hate her attitude SO MUCH. I mean really? you have a fantastic voice, but GET OVER YOURSELF.

also, “When has Mercedes ever been anything other than a team player and New Directions MVP?” I don’t think she’s ever really been a team player! yes, she’s all about the glee club and whatever, but remember, from the first episode it was all “I’m Beyonce, I’m the star, if you make me sing back up I’ll pitch a fit!”

• Snsetblaze says:

I have to agree. Mercedes has never been a team player. But she also hasn’t been MVP either. The only girl who has been a team player has been Tina.

• aunt_deen says:

Must disagree. Yes, Mercedes has the diva attitude on occasion, but in the end she is almost always a team player.

She has a powerhouse of a voice and is an excellent performer… and yet Rachel (who is amazing as well) gets the VAST majority of the spotlight in nearly every competition. Rachel gets the big ballad. Rachel gets the lead vocal in the group number. It’s almost always Rachel.

Yes, Mercedes protests and gets pissed off about it… and then she gets back in line and plays the supporting role. And Rachel pitches a FIT whenever she’s not front & center (with one or two notable exceptions) without nearly as much cause.

So even though she crossed the line once or twice (I do think Schue was harder on her than he should have been)I am perfectly fine with Mercedes standing up for herself and then remaining standing.

• urgh says:

Rachel has only been out of line about solos twice. And one case Rachel was more upset by Finn than a solo. No one seems to noticed but when Rachel was upset about Quinn/Sam getting to sing at Sectional. Mercedes was in the back ground pissing and moaning and got over look for Quinn of all people. Mercedes should be upset with Shue not Rachel. Why should Rachel step aside for everyone else, they should be trying to get better like she does all the time.

8. Tracy says:

Why would Mercedes even be considered for the lead in West Side Story? That role requires a lot of dancing and great vocals. Mercedes is an okay singer but she’s nothing special and she never wants to get off her lazy butt. She’s late for rehearsal, doesn’t practice and can’t dance. Someone like Mercedes would never be given the lead because you know she wouldn’t do it justice because she would never work hard enough at the role. Rachel wants to be a professional and is willing to work for it, to sacrifice everything for it. Mercedes thinks everything should be handed to her.

My grade for the ep is a C, for Miss Jones an F and for Mike Chang an A+!

• Snsetblaze says:

I have to agree with this 100% but I’d add that I’d give Emma’s storyline an A+ too which may boost the episode to a B.

Mercedes voice is good but not original.

9. Snsetblaze says:

I had the same thought that Slezak had when Mike auditioned – why wasn’t he cast as Tony? But then I realized, Tony is more of a singing role than a dancing role. Other than when he meets Maria at a dance, I don’t recall him dancing. But Tony has to have a tenically great voice ala Blaine (or frankly Kurt would have ben able to straight out sing the songs better than Mike Chang). Riff has to be a superb dancer but can get away with being an average or just pretty good singer. His voice has to be more — charactery — than straight up technically great.

10. Snsetblaze says:

Where was Karofsky durng the football team scenes?

Who was the fifth role cast in West Side Story? It was not visible but I saw five names on the sheet. I think Bernardo was the only main singing role left though he only sings solo in America? Plus aren’t there at least a half dozen more speaking roles to cast? Artie probably could do Doc despite being in a wheelchair.

Are we going to see the actual production or is this thread going to fall by the wayside.

Did anyone notice Emma’s dad was Ralph Malph? And her mom was Eve of Adam and Eve from Northern Exposure.

• Brenda says:

The fifth role cast was Kurt as Officer Krupke – a complete insult as it is a nothing role with no singing or dancing.

• wiredream says:

That’s because everyone else on the show sings and dances better than Kurt (as Mike Chang and the football players proved during “Cool Boy”). That Kurt thought he had a shot in hell as one of the leads! I know Kurt has his fanatics, but he’s a terrifying singer and a competent, not stellar, dancer.

• Stephanie says:

If you think Darren Criss is a better dancer than Criss Colfer you are blind LOL. I FLOVE Darren, but my boy has almost no rhythm. The only person worse than Darren is Cory LOL.

*is Kevin McHale weren’t in a wheelchair he’d smoke everybody but the guy who plays Mike Chang.

11. scorpo says:

Michael, I too was wondering why they didn’t sing a song from West Side Story, but then I am thinking that maybe they are going to save those songs for the eventual episode when they air the play, no?

12. BeachBum says:

Say what you will about this episode but I was blown away by Mike Chang’s singing and dancing. It was a perfect interpretation of the song and was indeed very, very “Cool”. Plus they couldn’t have cast his parents any better. His father looked exactly like a 20 years older Mike. One of my favorite Glee numbers ever…can you tell I liked it?

13. jeremysolo says:

ok, it was a good episode but definitely not the best ever. I Can see why the critics might think that, because the drama is building nicely with mercedes finally standing up for herself (she is nowhere near better than rachel btw, ive never understood this so called rivalry when rachel is like 3x more talented) and rachel starting to throw people under the bus for her stardom, which we all knew would have to happen eventually. but i could probably name about ten episodes better than this one. i feel like they purposely mislead us in the previews (kurts line to rachel is made out to be much more dramatic than it is) just to get good ratings… not cool if this is true. a show like glee that is supposed to be sending a positive message shouldnt stoop to such a low tactic. hope i am wrong

14. Justin says:

It was a decent ep, for Glee. As much as everyone wants to believe this was some stellar episode, it’s the same recycled storylines every week. The only difference is that Mercedes actually acted on something and joined this new glee club. It seems like they really set something good up here, but knowing Glee, these things never last. We’ll see.

15. marissa says:

personally i thought it was a pretty good episode but
    mercades attitude was a bit too
    much for me.

16. deb says:

What are you talking about? The actress is just now getting to know her character because Mercedes spent most of last season relegated to the background (just like Tina) with barely any storylines. And I don’t understand why Mercedes is considered a b** for complaining about Rachel getting all the solos when last season RACHEL sent a foreign exchange student to a crack house because she knew she was good & Rachel didn’t want to give up any solos? And let’s not forget, EVERYONE has complained about the number of solos Rachel & Finn get, Mercedes isn’t the only one.

Finally – has anyone considered that Mercedes’ complaints about being tired, not feeling well & in pain may not be that she’s pregnant, but that she has diabetes, lupus or some other illness?

• Lily says:

I read somewhere that the actress has denied that Mercedes is pregnant… so Mercedes being ill can be a certain twist…

• enigma17001 says:

Finally someone said it (about Sunshine) I thought I was gonna be the 1st to say it. Rachel is not so evolved and sharing as all her fans say. She might have given up one solo on the competition level but of course the writers found a way to make it the Rachel Berry show again. I like the ensemble of Glee but they make it all about Rachel why not call it “Rising Star” or “Rachel Berry” because they definitely don’t make it about the glee club. Everyone keeps talking about how hard Rachel works, yeah she does to benefit or showcase herself. She might like the members of Glee better than she did in season 1 but if any threaten her limelight like Sunshine did I bet she won’t be so nice as it’s all about her.

• please says:

I guess you have forgotten all the times she has reached out to other and not for her own good. I am tired of people only seeing the bad things Rachel does and never seeing the good. Geez she is nice to Quinn who has treated her so badly. She is the one to get the guys to help Kurt, she saw that he was lonely, she help Mercedes with the Prom. Yes Rachel works hard to help showcase herself and the club. Why cant the other work as hard to show case themselves too. If Mercedes came up with some idea maybe Mr Shue would take them into consideration.

Try seeing the whole person.

• s says:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!YES!!!!YES!!!! People only see what they want to see. Yes Rachel had an ugly personna s1 pilot but has morphed into a sharing caring wanting her friends to be happy PERSON. Such a shame when people only want to see the ugly.
          The worst part that affects me is that people want this show to be ensemble split the spoils with the characters. ie. The Rachel Berry Show or The Kurt Hummel Show. The pilot set up the show’s premise that Rachel(loser) and Finn(popular) come together to form one(Glee)as polar opposites who are not supposed to be together but do and become and increasingly unbreakable couple even through strife and obstacles. They represent the metaphorically speaking class system of McKinley High. Their union represents the beginning of a change in people’s perception of what is normal in a definitely oppressed socially cast system. Glee’s willingness to touch on social issues such as Homosexuality, teen pregnancy, being ostracized for being different, etc.

• enigma17001 says:

Oh yeah because people are listing the good things in Mercedes. Like the time she let Quinn live with her after her parents kicked her out and Puck’s mom was making her life hell, like the time she was the biggest supporter of Kurt to help him through his dad being hospitalized, and are we forgetting that is was Rachel who told Mercedes that she’s just as good as her but she needs to demand it and that’s the difference of why she gets the solos. Last but not least I’ve been out a high school a few years but I think there are more than two types of social outcasts in high school. The pilot was set to show 6 very different students with one common denominator and that’s singing. IMHO I think Finn had the biggest obstacle, as he had the girlfriend who was the cheerleader captain and he’s the star quarterback, joining the glee club got him ostracized for a while.

17. Babs says:

delighted with the Mike Chang parts of the ep! ~tears~ during Mike and Mom dancing! Have to say, Mercedes was billed in previews as outshining and out singing Rachel…… and that totally didn’t happen. Her character has become very annoying this year starting on her season premiere answer to her dating Sam…… I am not loving where her story is heading. Actually am not INTERESTED in where she is going….. which is sad.

18. Dude says:

I can’t believe how many people disliked this episode. This was probably one of my favorite Glee episodes ever, and this coming from someone who was about one more Kurt Hummel breakdown away from jumping ship entirely. Glee got me back this episode, and I gained a new favorite character in Mike Chang. (I straight up cried in the part where he danced with his Mom.) I also really enjoy the direction Mercedes’ story is taking, Rachel’s continuing maturation, Wemma (for the first time), BRITTANY S. PIERCE, and Kurt backing down from that West Side Story lead BS last episode. I’m actually excited for Glee again. Wow.

19. Teresa says:

Not necessarily the best episode yet. But it definitely was strong. The performances were fantastic. Heather Morris Rocks my world. She’s just so freakin fantastic. I’m really disappointed in Mercedes story line, but I do think her joining the other choir is a good plot line. I guess we can see where that goes. Check out my other thoughts here: http://rantsofacrazyperson.wordpress.com/2011/10/04/asian-f/

20. Jeff says:

That was easily the best Glee episode in ages.

21. Chris says:

The problem with Glee as a whole is the fact that they NEVER show them practicing songs or sounding bad. It’s always pre-recorded vocals and they always sound perfect. Does Mercedes EVER sound bad like she hasn’t rehearsed? No…she knocks it out of the park. They all do. Don’t get me wrong, I love the show, but what they should have been doing from the beginning is showing the kids rehearsing (singing live/messing up/voices cracking on high notes) and save the studio recorded tracks for the actual performance of the song. Isn’t anyone else phased when Mr. Shue gives them the sheet music and they all know the words and harmonies right away? Real singing doesn’t happen that way. The whole conceit of Mercedes being lazy and not practicing would work if she sounded like crap…which she never does.

As for the “It’s All Over” scene…wouldn’t it have made sense for Rachel to be singing the Deena/Beyonce part? I mean Effie/Deena are the vocal equivalents of Mercedes/Rachel…why wasn’t she even there in that scene…that’s what made it stupid.

• Amy says:

Fans want to hear good singing… They can barely fit decent story lines into a single episode. I don’t want to waste time listening to them suck. It’s TV. Lower your expectations.

22. jeff says:

Dear RIB, Do you remember that you have an actor named Cory Monteith on your show ? you know, the guy who changes tires and says 3 or 4 lines by episode ? No, no, he is not an extra or a background actor. He is one of your main character and one of your strongest actor.

• Lily says:

I am sure that Cory will get his turn… conflicts with Rachel and with Blaine…

• Sam says:

Well said Jeff. No the writers solution to last season (which was good just ruined by too many off-character moments/forced plotlines) was to not play one of their strongest actors to get this ship righted. Ermm… except its not working is it. After interaction with Burt, no one brings out the emotion in Kurt like his step-brother… and the only character that makes Rachel bearable is Finn.

That’s because Cory Monteith brings so much heart and soul to the character and many of us really happens to him. So lets see something of him, and about his own struggles not just others. I am sorry but the reason Amber, Mark and Dianna aren’t real break out stars is because they seem a little wooden. Now to the mix of already too many character we have to add the Glee Project people, Shelby’s storyline and now Coach Biests BF. Enough already. This wasn’t supposed to be daytime soap.

• s says:

DITTO TO EVERYTHING. Yes as many people like the Quinn, Mercedes, Tina characters they are wooden and single dimensioned and dull. Now Puck is one of my favs but is secondary character with little dimension except for comic relief funny is the word. Love him. Shelby’s back in a strange storyline 2nd glee club where no one joins and Quinn wants to discredit and now Bieste BF. Next the introduction to the new Glee Project members. There are way too many characters as is for a 1 hour show with 22 episode a season. So logically an episode or less per character with no features and little to none storyline for anyone.

23. natalia says:

Me parece vergonzoso el abandono que están haciendo de uno de los personajes principales de Glee, Finn Hudson. Somos mucha gente la que vemos Glee porque nos sentimos identificados con este personaje, y ver como lo estan abandonado sin apenas apariciones, sin historias, sin solos, sin duetos, solamente porque ha tenido disconformidades con R.M. a mi me parece intolerable.

De hecho ya he decidido no ver Glee, me aburren los episodios y no me gusta nada el camino que está llevando y como no veo mejora, abandono, y soy de las que han comprado todos los discos y … Pero se acabó no doy ni un euro a ganar a RM.

Si esta tendencia cambia, por favor avisarme, mientras emplearé mi tiempo en otras cosas.

24. minahil says:

When will cory get a proper storyline!!!!! plzzzzz give cory something more to do and more solos!! its unfair how he is being treated!! i love all the characters but its time to bring some focus back to finn/cory

• Sarah says:

Second this!!!!!!!! Interesting there haven’t been as many comments as usual about Finn going missing, my guess fans are just not watching and waiting it out til episode 5. Fox cynically wheeled out Cory Monteith to promote this episode even though he is an extra in it.

I cannot believe their answer to season 2 problems was to sideline one of their strongest actors. Grilled Cheesus had one of the funniest bits of the season thanks to Cory Monteith. It has been noted in so many reviews that he is absent and “a bag carrier for Rachel”. Whether you intended Mr.Shu to be your male lead or not, that is what Finn became so stop with the sidelining. He gives heart to this thing and balances the egos.

• natalia says:

Totalmente de acuerdo con lo que dices. Finn no se merece ser el perrito faldero de nadie. NECESITA SUS PROPIAS HISTORIAS Y SOBRE TODO CANTAR

• michaella says:

OMG Finn fans UNITE! I need to see some more Cory on Glee. I’m feeling the absence of his goofy face!!!

• Dude says:

It’s time? We’re three episodes into the season. I for one could kind of use a break from Finn, who frankly got more than his fair share of the story lines in the first two seasons. And this understated Finn-ness where he can’t quite decide what to do with his life is both interesting and true to life for someone graduating high school. I imagine they’ll ramp up his screentime in the coming weeks, but I don’t have any problem with the way they’ve treated the character so far this season.

25. Amy says:

i really don’t like Glee anymore and honestly it’s getting pretty boring

26. jen says:

Mike chang’s storyline was so amazing & heartfelt. Now I only hope they can they focus on another incredibly underrated glee member – tina.

27. minahil says:

yess i hope we see some change!! Being a huge Cory fan its getting frustrating at this point how much less screen time he has!

• Lily says:

Maybe they do it on purpose… Glee will be on hiatus for 1 month and this “lack of Cory” will make people want to see Glee more after the hiatus.

28. karenb says:

Love me some Mike Chang!!

29. Jake says:

“And in a plot development that made as much sense as Season 3′s lack of Karofsky”

His absence doesn’t bother me. The show has been fine this season despite the lack of that guest star.

I was very proud of Kurt in (and touched by) the stairwell scene with Blaine, though I hope one day they don’t have to be scared to show affection at McKinley – maybe when Kurt is president?

• Lily says:

Maybe Kurt will use this argument in his speech… Freedom of self-expression ?

• Emma says:

Yeah, I’m hoping that they follow that story line through rather than abandoning it for Karofsky. I mean, I liked the character but his whole “redemption” was rushed and I can just see it turning into a disaster if they try and give him a large storyline. Can we please focus on the main cast and maybe finally see Kurt not get kicked down for once? And maybe an actual storyline with character development for Blaine (instead of endless solos he’s currently being given) seeing that he’s a regular now.

30. huh? says:

Since when do casting directors choose the material to be sung? Casting Directors cast the show. Period.

31. Nate says:

I like that Mercedes, Mike, and Emma had more to do in this episode than they had in the entire run of the show up until now, but it all seemed a little crowded for one episode, when these plotlines could have been developed over the course of several episodes. I am still curious about what might really be going on with Mercedes and am disappointed in Schu (yet again, as he’s really not as good of a teacher as we keep getting told he is, especially with this ongoing emphasis on “booty camp”) for being so unsympathetic to the real needs of his students. I am glad that Santana was selected as Anita, but sorry that there was no audition sequence for her. But, again, hardly anything to do for Tina (why?) and not much for Artie (and what was up with that binaca?).

32. Jessica says:

And I thought Santana was a bitch… But Mercedes is a the biggest Bitch of them all! Talk about divattitude. Ego much?! Tsk..Tsk… Shame on you Mercedes!

33. Dom says:

That was one of the better episodes of Glee in recent history. I couldn’t stop the tears when Mike’s mom admitted to giving up on her dream of dancing and he offered to teach her. He was amazing in this episode and, like Brittany, we need to see more of him. It was nice to see Kurt back down and support Blaine without any drama or angst. The whole Mercedes as a super diva storyline seems like it’s trying too hard though. The whole booty camp confrontation seemed unnatural as did Mercedes’s behavior in this whole episode. Also, that Mercedes=Effie thing bugged me too!

34. Sookie says:

I thought it was a good episode and I never buy into the promotional hype so I wasn’t disappointed. I loved that Mike Chang finally sang a song and was actually pretty good. I was happy to see Kurt be mature enough to realize that Blaine is the perfect choice for Tony. I think Mercedes and Rachel both did a good job with “out here on my own” but in truth neither one blew me away, they were interchangeable and I would have chosen Rachel because of her ability to dance and emote.

I am interested to see if they are planning to use an abusive boyfriend storyline with Shane and Mercedes. It seemed to me that is what they were hinting at with the way he was isolating her from her friends although I think in most of those cases the abuser tends to denigrate the victim and he wasn’t really doing that. Although, he could have figured he was setting her up for failure pitting her against Rachel. Interesting to see what happens.

35. aunt_deen says:

They’re saving some of the West Side Story songs for the episode where they actually perform it.

Otherwise, yeah, it wouldn’t make sense that they all wouldn’t be using them to audition.

36. Melanie says:

I actually loved the episode — the flash mobs and hallucinations and dream sequences integrated the music in kooky, creative, entertaining ways and the storylines were interesting … and had plenty of mileage. Looks like the new writers are serious about having “large arcs” this season. Thank you for calling out the illogical absence of Karofsky, though! For a character who was left hanging last season, that he hasn’t been seen since is conspicuously odd and distressing! Especially when his story has plenty of mileage left in it too… Hope they bring Max Adler back soon and feature Dave Karofsky PLENTY this season.

• Dylan says:

Plenty of mileage? Dave was a great character but I really don’t see his storyline continuing much further. I’d like to see what he’s up to, but he’s just a guest star. I’d much rather they focused on the series regulars than drag back Karofsky’s storyline.

37. Poly says:

In my opinion, it was a great episode. I loved the Mike Chang storyline and I loved the fact that a part of this episode was focused on a character who was ignored before and such a relatable one. I loved the Brittany musical number. I also liked the Wemma part. But…
    I’ve the feelings that I don’t wath glee anymore… just a show focused on highshool divas… So much drama, so much show tunes, so much ‘I want to be THE star’ thing. The only funny parts were minor and brought by so rare scenes & underused characters. Where are the comic scenes & off-beat? Where is the balance between funny and drama parts? Where are the relatable characters? Where are Tina, Artie and Finn? Finn??? He used to be a major character who was so relatable with his indecision? A character who can bring balance between drama and comedy? When is he going to have a major storyline? WTF Where is The Finn?

38. Ash says:

I loved this episode and the insight we got into Mike’s character and home life. The dance with his mother was extremely touching.

However, as you said in your review, I couldn’t help notice the lack of Karofsky in the episode, especially as all of the football boys were present, including Azimio. It makes me think that maybe he’s left the football team, or that they are saving him for a bigger storyline and want his return to make a bigger impact than sitting in the background? I hope it’s the latter.

39. jojo says:

Mike chang’s storyline was amazing.
    Harry Shum Jr <3

40. Steve T says:

Why is Coach Bieste suddenly portrayed as a gluttonous buffoon. Totally unnecessary and undermines a strong character on the show.

41. dan says:

It’s Lady Pierce! Not Pearce.

42. Freddie says:

‘a plot development that made as much sense as Season 3′s lack of Karofsky’

Preach Michael!

• maxfanboy says:

SECONDED! I only began to watch Glee because of Karofsky/Max Adler’s intense acting and without him I don’t feel like caring anymore; I’m only reading recaps to keep up to date but I’m not watching the show until 3×05, and only if his return is well worth the wait and not a rushed mess…

43. adam says:

I dont know how anyone can like Rachel at all, worst character on TV, i hope she leaves after this season its pathetic how everyone makes her the focus. When said Mercedes can do the afternoon matinees, what a bitch! I am team Mercedes and more people need to tell Rachel off.

44. adam says:

I wish Rachel would get hit by a bus

45. Plum says:

Got goosebumps from Harry Shum’s Riff; that boy can sing too? Not only is he the cutest Gleek but he choreographs and dances like a dream; the Gleeks should be doing Broadway and movies on their breaks, not doing stupid tours. Fox is wasting the kids talents by having them perform like seals in live shows at malls in instead of letting the actors work on their breaks in other movies and films.

46. Rachel says:

I would have liked the episode better if it hadn’t been hyped up so much. It was okay, but not nearly as good as the Prom episode or anything. And I agree about Schue, I really wish we saw much much less of him, but I did feel for Emma in that moment. Poor girl.

47. Rachel says:

Dave’s absence is what’s making me hate this season more and more. Bring him back and I’ll care again.

But I did enjoy this episode. It was kind of all over the place but that’s Glee for you.

48. JVC says:

I am surprised by so much hate in the comments sections. While I don’t think it was the best “ever ever” episode of glee, it was a fantastic episode and this and the previous 2 have me really excited about this season. I think people have too high standards. Rachel seems to be the punching bag, but thank god she didn’t do anything to sabotage mercedes’ chances. I really thought she was going to do it, but I’m still bothered by the fact she is still running for class president when she already got the part by the default. She only did out of fear she wouldn’t get the part, and Kurt has a right to be upset I mean first brittany quits for him and runs and now Rachel? Hope it won’t last long (Going to have to make a second comment alot to say). As for mercedes and people saying “she’s never been a team player” or “she always has a tantrum”. Correct me if I am wrong but the last one she threw was way back last season during the “night of neglect” episode. Second, i am kinda like Shane, i wished he used better word choice and saying rachel is her enemy and he does seem to alienate from her friends (have finn, puck, or mike hung out with him yet). But here’s the thing, you don’t see any of the other members encouraging her to be better (remember when no on asked her to prom?). Third this girl HAS been a team player. She supported kurt when he was coming terms w/ his sexuality and when his dad was in the hospital. She let quinn stay with her when she was pregnant. Fourth, she’s the only girl (not counting zizes since she’s not in new directions anymore) who has not been really showcased in any competition. Sure she does the belting, but that’s it. Rachel is used the most. Quinn, Santana, and Brittany showed their talents in sectionals last season. Tina got to share a verse w/ artie in nationals. And it’s easy why she didn’t share it with rachel, she wanted that satisfaction of truly earning it. It’s funny because mercedes was the last person i expected to defect, but we all new she would as the episode progressed.

• Amy says:

I honestly don’t see why it’s bad of Rachel to run? It’s not like she got mad at Mercedes for auditioning for Maria.

49. Nerdista says:

I am an Aushole, but I’m not a huge fan of the “here’s what you missed on glee” style recap.

50. JVC says:

As for mike chang’s story, it was enjoyable. About time he got development. That whole bit of dancing his anger out straight from footlose, talk about a trip into one’s inner psych. I can kind of relate because you never want to disappoint your parents. I was also glad we saw a caring parent that wasn’t Kurt’s dad (Not hating, just want to see the other kids parents). And as for his singing, I hope he sings at least one more time this season because he’s pretty good. And did feel bad for Emma, never fought that people that racist could exist. I admit I am not big on broadway, so i hope we get more modern songs. As for the flaws: Santana’s return to new directions was really weird, heck the whole time she was out she wasn’t doing anything evil. Her return should’ve been more proper. And second, i am with everyone else on this one: WHERE IS FINN AT? Dude’s done little to nothing the last 3 episodes. I was surprised he, puck, and mike got a verse in the dreamgirls song. But his storyline is one a lot of can relate. I had no clue what I wanted to do or go for college after high school. Hopefully that will stop soon.