Fall's First Cancellation: NBC Axes Playboy Club

Get More: Cancellations, News

Trivial Pursuit enthusiasts, take note: The first official cancellation of the 2011-12 TV season is… NBC’s The Playboy Club!

The Peacock net announced Monday that it was pulling the low-rated, period drama off the air after three low-rated episodes.

Prime Suspect repeats will take over the Monday at 10 pm perch until Rock Center with Brian Williams debuts on Oct. 31.

NBC Orders Full Seasons of Up All Night and Whitney

This drama, starring Eddie Cibrian and Amber Heard, chronicled the goings-on at the infamous Playboy Club in 1960s Chicago. New NBC president Robert Greenblatt put a ton of promotional muscle behind the show, but audiences remained uninterested. Last night’s final broadcast averaged just over 3 million viewers.

Eulogies are currently being accepted in the comments section.

Comments (244)

• When I watched Pan Am, the guy who plays the captain of the airplane was too young and young looking to be taken seriously as captain of an airliner on transoceanic routes. Now they can replace him with Eddie Cibrian.

Comment by DM – October 4, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the show was entertaining.
    ^_^

Comment by Kayla – October 4, 2011 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you don’t swing, you would not like this show. NBC lives on cheap commercial, it cannot afford swing.

Comment by ysh – October 4, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • at least it was better than Whitney..

Comment by Amy – October 4, 2011 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad the show is gone, I just couldn’t get into it. I only hope Prime Suspect will pick up w/ the Monday air date, I really like this show & Maria is awesome as the lead!

Comment by Paul – October 4, 2011 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    There were even two lesbians.
    I was seriously loving this show.
    Please someone tell me this is a joke.

Comment by Anne – October 4, 2011 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First the event gets canceled and now this…two shows I actually enjoyed :(

Comment by valerie – October 5, 2011 03:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never watched TPC, but its cancellation has me really worried about the status of Free Agents……

Comment by Anna – October 5, 2011 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really like Free Agents, but it’s a bad sign when they have already given Up All Night a full ep. load and have not said anything about Free Agents.

Comment by Thomas – October 5, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the show but missed the last episode :( I can’t believe it got cancelled. I didn’t like the title. I “liked” it on Facebook and ppl were like ” u like playboy”? Haha noooo I’m not gay its a show ppl!

Comment by melissa – October 5, 2011 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t watch this show, or have any interest in watching it, for that matter, but 3 episodes? Really? That’s hardly enough time for people to even talk about it.

Comment by SK – October 5, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is just a bad case of a studio thinking people only watch Mad Men because it based in the 60s. If you are going to build a show that almost plagerizes a show’s model, you better hope it is edgier than something AMC can offer. I enjoyed Playboy Club, but the writing was pretty lazy and Amber Heard isn’t enough to carry a show. I wouldn’t mind her as a centerfold though…

Comment by Thomas – October 5, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R u kidding me? The show is awesome……grow some!

Comment by k – October 5, 2011 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Eddie Cibrian, but this show was a yawner from the opening credits. The women in the cast were like cardboard cutouts.

Comment by Molly – October 5, 2011 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Awake can replace it! *Squees* *Sighs* Well, a girl can dream…

Comment by Alex – October 6, 2011 01:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn it. I was really enjoying this show. Why is it that, like, half the shows I like get cancelled? *Le sigh…*

All I watch on NBC are brand new shows – TPC, Up All Night, Free Agents, and I planned to check out GRIMM. NBC, If you cancel Free Agents too, I will give up on Up All Night (it’s kinda okay) and probably won’t even check out GRIMM. Just to spite you.

You are the new FOX. Congrats.

Comment by Steven – October 6, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Free Agents was also cancelled!

Comment by Julie G – October 10, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I for one love The Playboy Club. So Eddie Cibrian left his wife for Leanne Rimes. Get over it. Seems like half the married couples in this ocuntry do the same and I bet the ones who slam him for it are in majority part of that group so don’t be so hypocrtical. You may laugh at it being cancelled but it is not just Eddie Cibrian out of work but all the cast and crew as well but in your small mindenness you don’t hink of those people. THis is a good show good storylines and good acting. I hope another Network has the common sense to pick up a GOOD show picks it up. NBC what do you expect? they have cancelled SO many good shows before giving them a chance. To put it up against Monday Night Football and in some areas Hawaii 5-0 is ludicrous. Soem of the shows they have extended well waht can we say IDIOTS.

Comment by Kathy – October 7, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LIke anyone is gonna watch TPC replacment by Brian Williams heck I even forgot the title already. NBC execs all need to be fired as they can’t tell a good show when they see one and to keep Whitney non PLEASE and cancel TPC just goes to show they are NIM RODS. AIR IT ON A DIFFERENT NIGHT NOT AGAINST MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL GIVE THIS SHOW A CHANCE.

Eddie Cibrian’s private life is his it does interfere with his acting ability and he is pefect for this role and to say it got cancelled because of him is ridiclous it is becasue it is in a poor time slot PERIOD plus being on NBC is a MAJOR BOOBOO they have a habit of cancelling lots of GOOD SHOWS

Comment by Kathy – October 7, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed the show I’m 26 and love the 60′s era show. Plus I really wanted to see what happen wit cig bunnie and lead guy and if they got away with mob murder. Hopefully Bravo will pick up show

Comment by Racine Lopez – October 9, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly i was so looking forward to this new show but was very disappointed with the first episode, i didnt even watch 30 minutes of it, before I re-programmed my DVR to NOT record this show afterall. The plot was boring and dragged out and sorry to say even though Eddie Cibrian is nice eye candy, all I could invision was how he broke up his family for LeAnn Rimes.

Comment by Monica – October 10, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww this sucks me and my friends love the playboy club!!

Comment by cheergrl17 – October 10, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the target audience might have been
    Baby Boomers, there are so many of us. I liked it. I was looking forward to next episode.
    Why take it off fir re-runs. We’ve had rnough if those. Also, not everyone watches Mondsy Night Football and Dancing with the Stars.
    Please bring it back. Mad Men is another
    Good show .
    Why don’t you ask your audience fir suggestions as to what they’d like to see in a new show. Maybe run a contest about story lines and plots. I’ll bet there are some if us that could give your writers a kick in the
    Creative part of their brains!

Comment by Rita Harris – October 10, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really bummed out tonite when I looked for my scheduled recording of the Playboy Club on my DVR and it was not scheduled. I checked, and sure enough, it was cancelled. Very disappointing! It was a fun show and very reminiscent of Chicago and the 60′s. I hope NBC will recondiser!

Comment by Julie G – October 10, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was the perfect female drama to watch WHILE the man watches NFL football that I care nothing about
    It wasn’t a sleazy show at all, but a drama with curious twists and scandalous turns in the plot like a mystery……which made it a GREAT show! I am very saddened by its disapppearance.

Comment by Andrea – October 10, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked this show. I cant believe it was pulled after just 3 shows. I really think they should have chosen a different time slot.

Comment by Breezy – October 10, 2011 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TPC was interesting and fun to watch. NBC always cancels good shows and keeps crime shows like Prime Suspect. Maybe TPC will come out on DVD and it will be for all the episodes that were made.

Comment by Carat – October 10, 2011 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Monday, I rushed home from shopping, took my bath and got into my night clothes and popped a bag of popcorn, to watch one of the best programs on network tv…..only to be disappointed because TPC was cancelled…..I don’t watch Prime suspect on it’s regular time….this show< TPC,, had so much to offer, a black bunny, gansters and homesexuals before they were pc……..NBC bring it back,or maybe some cable network will pick it up…..if they do I will finally get cable…….

Comment by no longer a nbc fan – October 11, 2011 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I looked forward to this show every week. I cant believe they canceled after 3 shows!! They should of at least finished the season out I want to see the rest of the season :(

Comment by Katie – October 14, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would loved to have seen the end of the frist season, I was really into the show. The led guy is a looker.

Comment by T Gins – October 15, 2011 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it too it just didn’t have enoughtime to get better and are you insane NBC to put a new show up against foot ball?

Comment by Nikki – October 16, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i thought it was a really good show! it had a good storyline, and a lot of twists, suspense, romance and hooks. it was really interesting to watch a show that took place in the 60′s, to see how much different it was back then. it was different than many of the stupid shows that i have seen lately, and i was looking forward to seeing it every week. Much better than all those reality tv shows nowadays. . .

Comment by Jessica – October 17, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked it too. I’m sad to hear it got cancelled.

Comment by Kel – October 17, 2011 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the show was alright… I would have finished the season! But I felt like after I watched the first episode I was done with the show! I agree with DD! I would have liked to see what the bunnies lives were like before, maybe flashbacks. I’m a little sad it ended I loved the old school bunnies, unlike the trashy, slutty girls now days

Comment by dee – October 18, 2011 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thought it was great. I was looking toward to Mondays episode

Comment by andy – October 19, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOO…..
    this sucks!! i was really liking this show… i wonder if they see the rating from hulu and what not because i never have time to watch the show at the time they give it on tv would watch it on my own time on hulu ..): too bad i guesss

Comment by salemnhsucks – October 21, 2011 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad NBC stoped the show, i’m french and i saw it in vostfr and i liked it. Bad news

Comment by Misscarli – October 22, 2011 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m do sad they canceled it! it was just getting good :,(

Comment by McKie – October 24, 2011 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s some bulls:-) me and, my cousin has girls night every monday we start watching.tv @ 8 and end @ 1 we have been wondering what happen the show we loved it I’m mad that NBC didn’t put as much effort as they could have because it was a good show……. please bring it back

Comment by D'Anna Rene'e – October 24, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the show, im mad tight that they closed it! i, mean come on1 it was getting good too! you shouldnt just cancel a show bc it doesnt get alot of vies. NOVA comes on and nooe watches tht crap! im mad!

Comment by AniahJalyn – October 25, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show!! I have been looking for it every Monday night. I don’t think NBC gave it a chance. Please air more episodes!

Comment by Michelle – October 26, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked this show… and I never watch TV… damn it. xo

Comment by Becca – October 26, 2011 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is beyond wack…this was a great show, I have the epsiodes download to my droid as soon as it airs. I wish the network didn’t cancell it….this was a great show. The network is retarded for axing the show so early

Comment by lex – October 27, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are so right !! :)

Comment by Tibie – November 2, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • aaaaaahh :(!.. i loved the show (L)!…they should put it back some day :)

Comment by Tibie – November 2, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Playboy Club was a great show. So disappointed in NBC because all the other shows that they air are terrible. Whoever thinks “Up All Night” is a decent show, should really evaluate their life. NBC is pathetic, and now I have no reason to watch it.

Comment by Andrew T – November 6, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show is the bomb, I was really enjoying this series, bring it back Please maybe on cable TV;-)

Comment by DeeQueen40 – November 14, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the show was great! It definitely had more of a desperate housewives feel to it though where the audience would only be women or married men forced to watch it with their wives. But I thought it had a great story line and loved that a bunny killed a mobster! Haha I really hope to see the rest of the season on dvd!

Comment by taylormontana7 – December 4, 2011 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very disappointed with the early cancellation of this show. My wife used to work at the Playboy Club Casino in London (Not a bunny). I smell a whiff of politics involved in this early termination of a nostalgic series!

Comment by tony00769 – April 16, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That really sucks! I want to see more!

Comment by Lena – August 10, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post