Dancing With the Stars Results: Wait a Second...Who Went Home?

This week’s Dancing With the Stars results-show telecast brought with it all the surprise and befuddlement of watching a duck-billed platypus and a miniature dachshund beating a cheetah in a foot race. I mean, nobody ever said the worst dancer, or even the second-worst dancer, was a sure bet for elimination in any given week. And yes, this week’s judges’ scores placed seven of the 10 remaining couples within six points of one another — meaning it wouldn’t be a surprise if that cryptic mix of viewer votes and leaderboard tallies led to a shock boot. But still, when the dancing shoe dropped, it hit our eliminated couple like a baseball bat to the gut. Here’s how it all played out…

In Jeopardy
Kristin Cavallari and Mark Ballas
Carson Kressley and Anna Trebunskaya
Hope Solo and Maksim Chmerkovskiy

Last Two Under the Red Lights of Doom
(Though Not Necessarily the Bottom Two Couples)

Kristin Cavallari and Mark Ballas
Hope Solo and Maksim Chmerkovskiy

Eliminated
Kristin Cavallari and Mark Ballas

“Brooke, it’s madness. It’s just madness,” head judge Len Goodman told our robot-host lady when asked about the reality that either Kristin or Hope would head home in Week 3.

“I’m a little surprised, to be honest. But I’ve had such a great time, and it’s been an awesome experience, so y’know, it is what it is,” Kristin said. Host Tom Bergeron then chalked up the results to a possible case of voters assuming Kristin and Mark were safe, and therefore failing to speed-dial, or email, or whatnot.

What do you think? Did the right couple go home? If not, who should it have been? Sound off in the comments, and for all my reality TV recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Ryan says:

Kudos to gay and transgender rights and whatnot, but that’s literally the only reason Chaz Bono is still here. Undeserving.

• satirex says:

One more manifestation of the show’s decision to have people vote FOR contestants rather than voting against the person they think should lose. People with “rooting sections” win out over unpopular or unknown people, regardless of the quality of the dancing.

• ... says:

Just to let you know, it’s always been a popularity contest. Sometimes the best dancers win and make it far, but a lot of the time it’s just popularity. So Chaz is getting a little futher than he should be, he’s still not going to win.

• lilly says:

well, i think people find the other contestants simply more appealing and warm.

2. CaniacBob says:

It is Bristol Palin all over again. To Bristol’s credit, however, she did make great strides in her dancing. Chaz, not so much.

• Anna says:

Bristol tried; she just couldn’t dance. Chaz has been seen, he’s told his story, he’s been praised; but he’s also complained every step of the way. Let Cher appear next week, and send him home.

• Karen Anderson says:

Oh jeeze, the “Bristol couldn’t dance” meme again. Bristol most certainly could dance, and made improvements all the way to the finals. She was no different than any other amateur dancer on DWTS in her abilities. She was singled out because people hate her mom. She was treated very unfairly by the likes of Joy Beyar, who still can’t let it go and bashes her anytime she damn well pleases.

• kat says:

I completely agree with you Karen!!! Chaz hasn’t been voted off because of “his” backstory….time to move on. He can’t dance and everyone knows it.

• Anna says:

I gave her credit for trying; but at the end of the day she should have gone home long before Brandy or Audrina.

• Anna says:

Re my reply: Yes, a lot of the hate directed at Bristol was due to her mother; but then again, 99.44% of the support she had was also because of Sarah.

Bristol, Chaz and Rob would NOT be stars is they didn’t have famous relatives. Bristol and Chaz would still have stories to tell; but there would be far less people listening.

• jennrae says:

“She was singled out because people hate her mom.” Which was the only reason she was cast on the show to begin with. You can’t have it both ways.

• Lisa says:

Could not agree more with this post. We all applaud Chaz for his courage and inspiring story, but at the end of the day, it’s a dance competition, and he’s just not cutting it on the dance floor.

3. sue says:

well, since they showed her football player boyfriend on television, he isnt well liked at all. i have nothing against jake cutler. but it is really sad that the voting is going by popularity and not who the best dancers are. i really think they should come up with a different voting system. it is sad, if show isnt judged right who wants to watch it not me.

4. Kim says:

In comparison to JR and other’s moving meaningful times in their lives, her meaningful time of deciding whether to go to college or to Hollywood was just pathetic. I’m glad she’s gone.

• Oh Really? says:

Better that she lived through something tragic in her life? How can you fault her for wanting to celebrate something she considered a happy moment. Yes everyone else picked something that made people cry but I for one am glad that someone went the other route too. She was at a crossroads in her life and sad or not it was a big moment for her, why begrudge her that? I wouldn’t wish a bad or a negative life altering experience on anyone, having been through one myself (and even though I am stronger for it) if I could go back and change it I would.

5. Michele says:

Say what people want about Chaz but Carson and Hope are far worse or as bad as Chaz is. Carson overacts and Hope has as little or worse dancing musicality as Chaz does.

I get she’s a soccer hero but she’s not good and far worse then Kristin – who went home because she doesn’t have any following not because of her dancing.

• Anna says:

But both Carson and Hope MOVE. And neither one of them whines and complains like Chaz does.

• satirex says:

One of the things people forget sometimes about DWTS is that some of these “celebrities” are famous names but not famous personalities. Turns out, apparently, that Chaz Bono might be the child of famous parents, and might have an unusual personal life, but isn’t “ready for prime time.”

6. Tamara says:

I’m honestly not surprised. DWTS is, for the most part, a popularity contest and Kirsten’s persona on The Hills wasn’t exactly one that endeared her to the masses. I’m sure that was 99% fake but the point is she played a bit of reality tv witch and has her fair share of “haters” because of it. There are a lot of people that put her right there next to Spencer and Heidi in terms of being disliked from that cast.

I’m not saying she’s the worst dancer and I definitely think talent wise, she’s leaps and bounds above many left in the competition but DWTS is the one show where personality and popularity count just as much, if not more, than talent so I’ve been prepared for her to go at any given time.

7. Amber says:

That is a surprise. I knew people had great hate for all things Hills related (as they should), but I really thought she could last another couple of weeks based on her natural dancing ability. And as much as I hate all things Hills-related, I gotta say, I am a little disappointed. It should have been Chaz or Nancy, as they are a bit lackluster on the dance floor.

8. AJ says:

I wonder if the show was aware the Tampa area viewers had to wait until 1:35am to see last night’s episode due to the Bucs game being aired instead, and therefore wouldn’t have been able to vote. I don’t know if their votes would have made a difference, but it seems a little unfair to send someone home when not everyone was able to vote. My favorites are still in it, though, so I’m more curious than upset.

• Adora says:

The game kept Tampa from voting? Are the internet and the phone system shut down during games?

• Gianna says:

I think the point is that they couldn’t watch the show on time and vote accordingly. Unless they looked up the numbers online and voted blindly without having seen the performances. Still, I’m guessing the DWTS viewers in Tampa would have no influence whatsoever on the final result, unless every last one of them voted nonstep for the hot chick from The Hills.

• Adora says:

Well that would make sense if people were really voting based on performance, but that just isn’t the case for most people voting. I’m sure people in Tampa voted dispite the show not being on in its regular time slot.

• Anna says:

Sports don’t interfere with my voting; because I don’t follow them unless the home team is in the finals. I also did not vote for Kurt Warner when he danced.

9. Spencer says:

SO HAPPY CARSON MADE IT!!!! Love Carson!

10. Trish says:

I never watched the hills so I didn’t have an opinion coming in one way or the other but to me she came off bland and vacant verging on cold and Mark Ballas gets douchier every season so I don’t think his fan base brings much to the table any more – so all in all not surprised in the least and relieved that my favourites are still in it!

• coco says:

I agree 100% with Trish. Didn’t know Kirstan and already I can’t remember what she did. I do know that Mark has become a conceited, arrogant showoff!!!! So glad he’s gone.

• bmc9999 says:

I totally agree! Mark couldn’t go home soon enough for me. He over-dances and takes away from his partners. He also acts like a child when getting anything less than a glowing review from the judges. Kristen seemed fine but very bland and forgettable and not someone I would ever vote for.

11. Bedford says:

Dancing with, so called stars is a fraud on the level with wrestling.It is a popularity contest that has lost it’s direction and the judges seem to be non the wiser. To re-establish some credability maybe the judging procedure needs to be improved.

• Yo says:

Of course it is a popularity contest; no one can dance. Who is Kristin Cavaleri? I never heard of her: all I know about her is that she has had a pretty trouble free life and sounds like a Valley Girl on the radio. Given that she has a blessed backstory, when almost everyone else can whip up a crisis or two on cue, and she is unknown to those who don’t watch MTV, her going home is not much of a shock. Just anothah pretty blond. Yawn.

12. Tess says:

It does not surprise me. Mark is not that well liked anymore as a pro because he showboats and Kristen probably did not have a huge fanbase (or at least not one that would follow her on this show and vote) not to mention the fact that her dance was kind of a hot mess (at least to me; I can only assume others may have thought the same)and Mark relied too much on having Kristen whip her hair around while she mildly shook her rear while he danced around her. The judges are also not doing anyone any favors by giving them all the same scores – there were 4 couples this week with the same score (last week too, and both weeks had someone from that 4 group lump going home)right in the middle of the pack. I think a lot of people were not swayed by her story for her dance either so she didn’t pick up any extra votes that way either. Sure, you can argue there are several worse dancers still there, but they are all more likeable than Kristen and/or Mark and either danced better in general or at least had a more moving story. There’s always at least one person who goes sooner than people expected and one person who gets farther than anyone would have expected them to every season and Kristen gets to be the early bootee.

13. Adora says:

She came off as vapid when she was telling her story. She’s a pretty girl who thinks that is all she needs to get by, or at least that’s how she came across. Not a bit surprised she didn’t get the votes. Although, I’d have rather seen Hope or Nancy leave.

Chaz is not the best but he’s keeping cool and trying and considering how the judges are talking to him that says a lot and won him my votes.

• olga bocchiaro says:

I will stop watching this show. I agree there are some really good shows on the time slot. I enjoyed Mark and Kristin very much, as at least some talent was shown. They were my favorite couple. This show is not based on talent but popularity and sentiment. Chaz should have been the first or second to get the boot.He does no great moves and just pushes his partner around the floor.David Arquette no real talent there. Nancy Grace is just bearable to watch. I am not impressed with this show any longer.

• JenB says:

I suggest you tune into Terra Nova at 8pm then 2AAHM and Mike & Molly beginning at 9pm. Save the 10pm slot for Castle :)

I gave up on this show way back when that rapper (name has a P in it) stayed for weeks on end even though he barely moved his feet. Chaz is just like him except he/she at least moves his/her arms around a bit. (Sorry…I know that Chaz is technically a “he” but I still can’t get the image of him when he was a “she” out of my mind).

14. satirex says:

I think we’re seeing how wildly popular Hope Solo is with all the tens of millions of soccer fans out there.

• Katie says:

Hope bores me for some reason. And I love Maks but I can’t vote for Hope. And I agree Kristen’s moving moment seemed very vapid

• Katie says:

Oops replied to the wrong comment! But I agree with yours too.

I remember everyone trying to say how popular Hope Solo was. Unfortunatley for Maks I don’t think they will make it to the end.

15. Blank Slate says:

It was the Team Pia @ American Idol group chiming in. Didn’t Mark Ballas and Pia just break up? Hell hath no fury like an American Idol scorned. :>

16. CA says:

Listen folks, DWTS is about winning a mirror ball trophy. That is it. No $100,000 pay out and a part in a dance show. No music contract, etc. There is no collusion on the part of the judges and of course the judges have their favorites. This is a show purely about entertainment. And of course the results are based on popularity…when weren’t they?! Take a breath people. The great conspiracy theories are simply not needed and, quite frankly, ridiculous. Do you know why Ballas and his celeb are gone…because not as many people voted for them as they voted for others.

• susela says:

The contestants get paid an appearance fee, which increases each week. By the finals, it’s $15,000 or more. The winner easily makes 100K.

• Jo says:

You missed the posters point. Money is not a driving factor for there to be some type of conspiracy as to who goes and who stays.

• Jen says:

I agree with most of what you said, however, everyone gets paid for being on this show, regardless of how far they go, the winner is paid more, but that’s not a surprise. People that get so bent out of shape because someone got voted off is ridiculous. As you said, the bottom line is, they didn’t pull in the votes!

17. MC says:

I agree with previous posts – I wasn’t too surprised. I used to love Mark, but he’s gotten increasingly unbearable the last few seasons, and Kristin is a reality TV personality who came across as nothing more than her rich girl character (if that’s what it is – never seen “The Hills”). Other pros dance to make their partners look good – which means that they often tone down their extras. Mark goes to extremes and it makes his partners look like crap in comparison. I was surprised to hear this compared to Sabrina’s elimination, which was a shock. This? Maybe a week or two earlier than I expected, but in no way a huge surprise.

• CA says:

People are now voting as much for the pros as they do for their celeb…and sometimes I would say more so for the pro, depending on the celeb. And in this case — with the declining popularity of Ballas and the virtual obscurity of Kristin you get an early outster regardless of judges scores.

• Lorie says:

I totally agree.

• Mckee says:

WE are voting more for the pro now too. Agree with the comments about the upstaging performance style change in Mark. I like what Tony is doing for his partner…making HER look good. I love Derek and Max … so we base our votes more on them. WE also like and admire Kim and Lacy, but however, we haven’t voted sololy for her because we are not fans of Chaz Bono’s efforts.

• JenInChicago says:

Thank you! I agree. I like when the pros actually make their partners look good….Tony has always done a great job.

Mark’s attitude has always been a problem. I feel badly for Kristin, but am thankful that we don’t have to sit through another of Mark’s “Nerd/Geek” routines.

18. Peppy says:

I do think the fact that she had the least moving story of the night did her in. Her struggle to chose Hollywood or college did not pull at peoples hearts like the other stories did.

19. Katie says:

The judges really judged everyone so close together. It is bound to come down to viewer votes. I don’t think Kristin Cavaleri has a very big fan base ( I was shocked she made it this long). Also I heard that Cher tweeted that she would be there next week if Chaz stayed. Im sure Cher fans came out and voted in full force. And as for Carson being safe, he is my personal favorite to watch. I think he is hilarious. I actually thought it would be between David and Nancy this week.

20. kt says:

I’m honestly not that shocked. I figured she’d maybe last another 2 weeks tops. It’s not like The Hills/Laguna Beach and DWTS have the same demo audience. Most people who watch are old and don’t know who the heck Kristin is, and it’s not like her “College or Hollywood?” sob story got her a lot of extra sympathy votes. At least now we don’t have to watch Mark’s mugging, and we’ll all get to see Cher in the ballroom next week. Everybody wins! haha

21. james says:

I’m shocked and saddened, i know it’s only a reality show — but it’s just frustrating to see great dancers go especially when there are worse dancers out there– they got a 24 — who leaves week 3 with a 24????

I love Mark Ballas, he was nominated for an emmy for his choreography this year and he is one of the reasons I tune in. and Kristen, i never watched her before and was looking forward to seeing more of her — she was easily in my top 4 — chynna, ricki, jR.

This really sucks.

For those asking for the voting system to be changed, what would they change it to? Judges already get 50 percent — compared to idol which gives no power to the judges. One year, the judges gave 10 extra points to a couple and that just aggravated people. People just need to vote for the best — and not do the pity votes.

• Kim R says:

I was shocked as well. All issues aside, based on talent alone, it is obvious that Mark & Kristen should not have been voted off. I wonder what voters were thinking….was it her story or the thought that Mark overdances his partners or what? It couldn’t have been based on dancing. Perhaps they’ll comment here and enlighten us. :)

• asdasd says:

Over-dancing has a habit of making me facepalm :)
        That, and hate it as much as you want, but personalities are huge too. These people all mostly have things going in their favor now – I want to watch who I like (and who is improving). If someone doesn’t appeal to me, makes me not like their dances, or just comes off as a snob or fake, I wouldn’t want to keep seeing them around. I think this is the logic of most voters and it really is the platform of the show and how it works out: the most entertaining get the most money. It’s not like American Idol where we have mostly unknowns with varying degrees of talent competing for a record deal – these are all celebrities in one way or another, almost all living comfortably, doing this for publicity and fun.

22. NikkiQM says:

People who are saying Kristen’s story was not moving enough, how moving do you want her life story to be? She is young and grew up privileged. It’s not fair to think that because her story wasn’t dramatic enough she should be sent home. Now saying she went home because of the awful hair flipping, mild booty shaking dance she did or because Mark Ballas always over performs and out shines his partner, now that’s a fair assessment. Not everyone has as powerful a story as JR, Chaz, and Hope.

23. Carmen says:

The comment from the review’ “Host Tom Bergeron then chalked up the results to a possible case of voters assuming Kristin and Mark were safe, and therefore failing to speed-dial, or email, or whatnot.”

Absolutley wrong and everyone knows it. Let’s talk the hard truth and not tip toe around the real scenario.

They didn’t forget to “speed-dial, or email, or whatnot” for Kristen and Mark.

What really happened is that special interest fan bases (National Enquirer for Nancy Grace) and a massive effort by the gay and transgenders (for Chaz Bono). . .did was to remember to do all those things called for by Bergeron.
    And guess what? Those bases are going to continue to vote for their “favorites” no matter how poorly they do. As the field shrinks, it will become easier for these fringe bases to keep their political favorites on the show.
    This could wind up as a major embarrassment for ABC towards to the end of the season.

• CA says:

An embarassment? Really? Based on what and why? The idea that there is this massive “fringe” movement for celebrities such as Chaz and Nancy? Paranoid much?! Carmen — are you scared that someone like Chaz could make it to the end? And what does that mean if he does? There is always controversy in the early weeks leading into the finals as to who stays and who goes and why it happens the way that it does. And in the end — a dancer who scores high with both judges and the viewership wins.

• Carmen says:

OOh, we certainly are a bit defensive aren’t we? You wouldn’t be one of those with a special interest in this season would you?
        Why exactly did Chaz – with 5 points less than anyone else – and obviously the worst dancer on the, move on?
        C’mon why?

Yes, I know that its very important to you that Chaz (or even Nancy) move forward. It has made you lose all objectivity.

• JAC says:

Actually Carmen — I would say you have lost your objectivity and you are quite on the defensive. You don’t like Chaz — the readership gets it. I read CA’s note as asking what is the big deal if someone like Chaz were to win and why that would be an embarrassment.I wonder too what the big deal would be. Trust me ABC is loving this level of publicity. And no I am not a member of a fringe movement or otherwise. Just a watcher of DWTS since it began and its true– we see it time and time again — a “star” with a low scores but a fan base will go only so far before the ones with high scores and popular vote win.

• CA says:

Sorry to burst your prejudicial bubble Carmen..but no, I am not a member of any special interest or “fringe” group. As with the poster below — I am simply baffled on why people, like you, are so concerned with the hows and whys of someone getting voted off versus someone else and assuming there must be some underlying political movement when it happens. Chaz has a fan base, so what?– you assume that it just must be gay and transgendered and therefore a political statement yet you really can’t say for certain. I suspect a range of people, regardless of sexual orientation, religion, race, etc, voted for him as well. As for who I voted for on Monday: 5 went to JR, 2 went to Rob since he improved, 2 went to Chynna and 1 went to Ricki. I didn’t vote for Chaz…but I am not scared or worried about what it means if he continues as a contestant.

• bmc9999 says:

There are always a few eliminations where everyone froths at the mouth and says 1. they will never watch the show again or 2. the show will be ruined. So far, that hasn’t happened. Every year the few people who over-stay their welcome get voted out eventually and someone pretty great wins so it becomes a case of all’s well that ends well and everyone waits for the next season to start the frothing all over again.

24. Bob says:

This show needs a competitor to arise on another network who is watching the unbelievably bad choices this show keeps making (over the last 3 seasons) in cast selection and letting “fan bases” dominate the voting(let the judges”judge and “PICK” believe me, “America” will trust them) . DWTS- you put a lot of older viewers off last night,…. you know, the ones with money and real influence who can’t stand homosexuality being shoved down their throat. Change or leave the air.

25. Adora says:

Well, Bob, I’d like to know when homosexuality got shoved down my throat, cause I missed it, didn’t taste a thing.

Do you know the difference between gay and transgender? Why does this bother you?

Gays are only doing what black had to do in the past to get their rights. It’s no longer acceptable to attact people of any religion, race or nationality. But it’s still okay to harrass, beat up, and kill gay people.

This country was supposed to be founded on freedom and equality, but religious groups are spending fortunes to get discrimination written into laws. And they use the words that have been re-written multiple times as justification for that crap. Ever play telephone? Did the last person say anything remotely ressembling what the first one was told?

It’s just a TV show. And before you ask, I’m straight and believe if there is a god he doesn’t give a flying fig who anyone has sex with.

• Bob says:

Yeah Adora, I guess it ALL tastes good to someone like you and “Chaz”.Telephone?- sorry- what in blazes is that? , I work for a living and don’t have time for philosophical idiots . Just keep it in the closet where it belongs.- Like I said …pocketbooks and wallets speak volumes…. we’ll see.

26. pizzapap says:

I feel that it is just a popularity contest and not a dance contest.
    Too often on this type of show the ones that can really do what is required and good go home because they don’t know enough people.
    They give it their all and should advance but not to be.
    Chaz is not a dancer at all just something standing in one spot and using arms does not make a dancer. Move the whole body. Send Chaz home.

27. Jessica says:

I don’t watch this show, but I would like to think that the reason she got voted off was because all the Chicago Bears fans out there voted for anyone but her. We don’t need our already struggling QB to be distracted by his girlfriend being on this show, flying out to LA to watch her perform instead of preparing for upcoming games!!! GO BEARS!

28. Brainst0rms says:

In the early weeks of DWTS, what seems to matter as much as skill is entertainment. Some of the lesser skilled dancers continue on because they are entertaining as well as the viewer can see them trying to learn & improve. Carson, Chaz & NG are trying and are entertaining. As for Kristin, I could not remember her or her dancing. That has to hurt when the goal is to get people to take a positive action (pick up the phone or the keyboard and VOTE). As for Chaz’s dance/song, I thought it was as much about honoring his father as it was about Chaz. Back in the day, Sonny & Cher were looked on as a different, strange act. I suspect that song was Sonny’s response to the unkind comments back then.

29. Joline says:

What’s the big deal? It’s not as if these “celebs” are hoping to land a big dancing contract when this show is finished. It’s supposed to be fun, and frankly for them to garner some publicity, not a life changer to win or lose. Much different story when a deserving contestant gets sent home early on a show like American Idol where their direct future prospects are tied to how far they get in the competition.

30. Bizarro7 says:

Never watched THE HILLS. Not surprised at all that the blonde I’d never heard of, with no x-factor or winning personality went home.

31. MK204 says:

It’s ridiculous who went home, but the show is a popularity contest and always has been. The dancers who were not as capable as Kristin have larger followings. And as I said in another post, Mark always gets stuck with unpopular people. Additionally they always put him up in the first three. The show, like every other reality show weans the audience to vote for the popular ones which is why IMO, Derek always gets the best dancers and the more popular ones. I don’t think for one minute that TPTB don’t know everyone’s dancing abilities. I’m surprised they gave JR to Karina, instead of Kym or Cheryl. Maybe there’s a reason.

There is no doubt however, that JR will win with Ricki coming in second. Mark my words. And Chaz may very well come in third. Especially next week when Cher makes an appearance. Lacey is one of the best pros IMO and can probably bring him up to position 3, but even if she couldn’t, he’d get there.

32. Alice says:

WoW – read this far and only one Positive comment. Personally, I didn’t vote for Chaz this week, tho I am a fan, and very supportive. However, he looked in pain, barely walked around, and it hurt to watch. I gave my votes to Arquette, Ricki Lake – who really surprises me, Hope – who impressed me this week, and Chynna. None of whom I really know from other shows or personal successes.
    Glad to see the notes about Mark Ballas. It’s like the mark Ballas show. He just dances circles around the celeb. I thought I was just imagining it as I started really noticing it last season.
    At least Derek is back, and I think Lacy is so cute and very talented.

33. Marshall Miller says:

DWTS is a popularity contest with Public voting. It is and alway’s has been. I don’t question JR Martinez being a legitimate winner but, 99 % of the time it’s based upon popularity. There’s no way that Derek Hough and partner Rickie Lake should have been voted third place.
    My wife and I are elder’s and enjoy the dancing. The public voting system is so bad that we can almost predict the outcome. ABC has really screwed up an otherwise excellent show with it’s current voting system. I mean,..it’s so obvious who’s gonna win.
    There are time’s when the Judges display preferential treatment but that’s better than the Popularity system. ABC should rename the Show,..”The Star’s Popularity” show.