Exclusive

Supernatural Boss Addresses Castiel Firestorm: Is He Dead or Alive?

In Friday’s action-packed episode of Supernatural, a possessed Castiel got swallowed up by some black hole/hellmouth hybrid, leaving behind nothing but a soggy trench coat. Sam, Dean and Bobby were quick to pronounce their buddy DOA, and now, so is executive producer Sera Gamble.

In the following Q&A, Supe‘s fearless leader confirms that Cas is in fact dead, but she also hints that viewers have not seen the last of his portrayer, fan favorite Misha Collins.

TVLINE | What exactly happened to Castiel in that water? Did his body just dissolve into nothingness?
All of those Leviathans inside of Cas were too much for the vessel, so they stewed him into the water. These are things we have to be somewhat cagey about, but it was too much certainly and it disintegrated under all of these monsters, if you will.

TVLINE Is it safe to label him as dead? Or did you purposely leave it ambiguous?
Both things are true, actually. We purposely left it ambiguous. In the life of the show, [Sam and Dean] just suffered the death of one of their best friends, something that they are dealing with in a serious and substantial way.

TVLINE So it’s definitely something that will carry on?
Certainly. Death is a funny thing on Supernatural because we’re a show about life beyond the grave, but this is one of most serious losses that Sam and Dean have had to face in the life of the series.

TVLINE Is there a chance that Misha could come back not as Cas, but in some other incarnation?
Oh definitely. It has always been our intention to bring back Misha in some form. When we called Misha to let him know that we had this plan for the character, we talked about this on a longer schedule than in these first two episodes. We certainly can’t say too much about where the story is going to go, but we love Misha and want to continue to work with him.

TVLINE Cas’ exit came pretty early in the episode and was somewhat subdued. Can you talk about the thinking behind that scene?
This is all part of the story that launches the season. So, we didn’t think of [his death] as having more or less impact; we think of all of this as the big kickoff.

TVLINE This was a pretty intense and cliffhanger-heavy episode for so early in the season. Is this a sign of things to come?
We won’t be doing that to you with mythology every week. [Laughs] On some level that would be fun, but Supernatural is a show that has a mix of mythology and close-ended episodes. We have the same formula that we’ve always had for that. The episode coming up this week is a little bit of both. We keep the mythology threat alive, but there’s also a monster that they’re following that is wrapped up by the end of the episode.

TVLINE What does Cas’ disappearance mean for Crowley and their deal?
Crowley is a little bit relieved. [Laughs] But just because that player is off the board doesn’t mean that there’s not a board for Crowley to be looking at. He is constantly strategizing and when we see him next, he’s just jumping back into the game and figuring out who he can align himself with and what the best move will be for him.

TVLINE Does the world of angels still factor into the season, or is that chapter closed?
The epic War in Heaven storyline has pretty much come to an end — at least for now — but individual stories that include angels that are more character-based or more about the impact that the previous wars have had, we have plans for those.

TVLINE Anticipation is high for Episode 3. What can you tease? Will we learn more about the Leviathan boss?
You will not meet the Leviathan boss yet, but you will get to know these creatures a little bit better. There are several scenes with them. Jensen [Ackles] directed the episode and did a fantastic job again — it was a pretty quick learning curve. We gave him a pretty complicated episode that had a lot of flashbacks and a lot of tiny pieces to tie together and he did it really creatively and really well. And he had to do it out of order, by the way. We handed him a script that had all the information you saw in last week’s episode — except he received that script before shooting that! [Laughs]

1. m. ashley says:

Come on, people. Whether you liked Castiel or not, he was important to the story line. He will be dearly missed by many fans and by Sam and Dean. You folks that got what you wanted, can’t you just be glad it went your way and not rub it in for the people who will miss him? I don’t watch much TV but he happened to be probably my favourite character on TV that I’ve ever seen and it was actually pretty upsetting to see his character change so profoundly, then not be given any closure or a chance to redeem himself before he died. Imagine how you’d feel if that had happened to Sam or Dean. It hurts, a lot. So, leave it, please.

• raelee514 says:

I might be delusional but I don’t think Castiel is gone for good.

She said vessel, she said she had to be cagey, she isn’t being totally upfront, this is Sera, she’s lying a bit. And never really said Castiel is dead, she said Dean and Sam are dealing with his death. Semantics.

• dani says:

I think they’re being purposefully vague for a reason. If you look at the spoilers we’ve gotten in the past they’re always like this – they give you a bit of a peek at maybe what will be coming, but mostly leave things a mystery. If they just came right out and said “Cas will be back and it will happen this way in this episode” it would spoil the surprise, really, and there’s no fun in that. This way they get to build all that dramatic tension and keep us guessing. (I don’t think he’s gone for good, either. I think that might be part of the back end of the season or something they spring on us right before winter hiatus – because they are evil like that. Evil in a good way. Well… mostly.)

• raeleee514 says:

Exactly. I expect back half Misha is back as the big bad Leviathan boss but also there will be hints of Castiel fighting from within. My theory anyway.

• Dani says:

Same! I’m really looking forward to some crazy!Misha time, too. I adore Cas, but I am more than willing to have him absent for most of the season if it means it works best in the context of the story they’re trying to tell this season. As much as I loved having Cas pop up from time to time last year, a lot of his appearances in the first half of the season felt a bit forced and like they were just throwing him into things because they thought people wanted it, not because it helped the (admittedly sort of all over the place and at times seemingly non-existent) story line for the season. The stuff from the tail end of the season, when he had a more definitive plot than just the vague “he’s fighting a war in heaven and he comes to save Dean and Sam’s ass when we can’t think of any other way to get them out of trouble or we need some comic relief”, was much stronger. I look forward to this season being the same. Which isn’t to say I won’t miss Cas while he’s gone, just that I understand why it’s probably necessary.

• Dana R. says:

That’s also my theory, and I can’t wait to see all the episodes that lead up this. It will be a thrill ride considering the first two Episodes of season 7 were Supernatural at its best.

• coyote says:

Your life seems pretty sad tbqh

• raeleee514 says:

What is sadder, the person who leaves a respectful and intelligent post, or the person who leaves the: get a life post in response?

question of the internet ages.

• coyote says:

“Intelligent”

k

• raeleee514 says:

More intelligent than your repeated disrespectful comments to everyone on here who has the right to state that they love Castiel and are upset.

I do wish however more people would read the interview and realize Sera never says Castiel is dead she only says ‘in life of the show Sam and Dean are dealing with the death of one of their best friends in a very serious way.’

It is TVLine that decided to put the words Castiel is Dead as fact in her mouth. They only time in that interview it looks like Sera says Castiel’s death is in brackets, meaning the reporters put those words in there, which means Sera DID not say that.

But I don’t mean to stop you from being happy he is gone, it’s your right to enjoy Castiel’s absence.

• m. ashley says:

Maybe it is sad that I got this invested in fictional characters but I’m looking at your comments and it seems like you have too! I don’t actually think it’s that sad, personally, I think it shows empathy. Also, hey! You liked Bela and Jo. I adored both of them. I liked Anna, didn’t love her but, yeah. Even though you think I’m sad and stupid, at least we can agree on that! ;D

• roadrunner says:

You seem like a pretty big dick, tbqh.

2. Bored Now says:

There were a lot of hints that Cas wouldn’t survive past episode 2. I think most Cas fans just didn’t bother watching. I know I didn’t and won’t until Cas comes back. Call me a bad fan or not a real fan if you want. I really don’t care, but I am a fan who has a nielson box and I’ll be watching Fringe.

• anna says:

THIS.

I think the bad ratings for this season are connect to the fact that most Cas fans already left the show. Like me. I watched the first 5 minutes of episode 2, and turned off my TV right after Cas “died”. And also, the fact that the show is repeating itself. Supernatural already lost many fans through season 6. I honestly don’t think they will have enough viewers for season 8. And that’s really sad.

3. raelee514 says:

Sera has not said Cas is dead. She is saying Dean and Sam think Castiel is dead. She said the vessel is gone at this time but that we will again see its form again since Misha will come back at some point.

This is all the usual nothing of nothing. There really is no new news here, no mystery solved at all, we just know about the Leviathans now.

My bet is still that Castiel wouldn’t have been promising Dean that he would be redeem himself and make this up to Dean (and Sam) if he wasn’t going to come back and do just that at some point. I’ll be disappointed if that doesn’t happen, I’ll be honest.

Otherwise, I did I love the first 2 episode, I love the weight of the boys (Dean’s grief) about Castiel and how threatening the Leviathans are and Sam’s battle with sanity is amazing. So, I’m enjoying the ride of SPN more than not, despite my worries/nitpicks/disappointments on the Castiel front.

Rachel

4. Laura says:

SPN should have ended s5. Sad but true.

5. Arrow says:

Thanks Sera for killing of Cas. Well, you know one fan that won’t be watching Supernatural anymore.

6. Dani says:

There has been a significant drop this past season from the last seasons. Shows evolve, they don’t stay the same, and just because Cas was in the show and people love him and want him to stay in the show, doesn’t mean the brothers broke apart. This weird idea that Dean and Sam can’t have anyone outside of eachother is stale. Going back to season one would be redundant at this point and if I remember correctly seasons four and five had some of the bigger ratings of the show.

7. destro says:

Um, TVline, I love you guys, but this is a really flawed framing of your otherwise great interview:

In the following Q&A, Supe‘s fearless leader confirms that Cas is in fact dead

When from Gamble’s quotes, it’s pretty clear she’s speaking from the POV of the brothers, and not actually making a definitive statement one way or the other. In fact, she confirms the ambiguousness of Castiel’s “death.”

It’s just weird how your intro is directly contradicted both by the interviewers questions, and Gamble’s response. What’s the purpose of that?

• raeleee514 says:

I agree, and what’s worse is people read their intro and then interview and what they wrote sticks in their head and they don’t pick up Sera Gamble, said NO SUCH THING.

8. aj says:

why do people have to be so negative about the show. its a show and things have to change because otherwise it will get boring . i will miss cas/ misha but something had to go and i believe it is still a good show and thats the whole thing about supernatural things happen that we dont want to happen but luckly unlike a lot of shows you CAN bring back a character who died, so im still going to watch it .

9. Nat says:

Most of the comments in this thread talk about the ratings. The ratings started to drop when the show changed direction from the story of two brothers on a quest to the Castiel show. SUre it was a good plot, a nice guest star and all but it should have ended in season 5 tops. Now the writers are playing their last card. Returning the show to it’s roots. Hopefully it’ll work. Speaking for myself I’m intrigued again, I like what I’ve seen so far and hope for better things and I had given up last year. SO hold your horses and wait cause if you give fans what they loved, the Sam and Dean story, together with the brotherly bond, soon the word will be on the streets and the fans/viewers will come back.

• anna says:

Season 4 had the best ratings since season 1! And Castiel was barely on season 6, so I don’t know what the hell are you talking about.

Season 1 had the best ratings because it was a new show. A lot of people were curious, but then it dropped significantly on season 2 and 3, because the monster of week type of thing started to get boring! that’s why there was such a huge lift on the ratings on season 4.. because there was a new and fresh storyline. And now, season 7, going back to its roots again, and so far, the worst ratings in the SPN history. We’ll see how it will work during the rest of the season. Not very good, I bet.

10. Wanda says:

Never! has a character captured my attention as Castiel has at least not since Spock in the original Star trek series. And yes I was there to see it. Castiel has many of the same characteristics as Spock. He is loyal, driven to do what is right whatever the cost, is struggling with emotions that are alien to him, and trying to fit in to two completely different worlds. His struggles to cope and do right can be amusing and yet strangely compelling. He has captured our imagination and we care what happens to him. The idea of Castiel may have originated with the writers but he has been brought to life by Misha Collins in a most extraordinary way. Misha is Castiel and Castiel is Misha. As a very gifted actor Misha may find Castiel stifling in time as Leonard Nimoy did with Spock. My hope is that both the writers and Misha do not give up on him.
    I started watching Supernatural with high hopes for the show. But by year two I had lost interest.The, introduction of the angels revived my interest but I didn’t actually care about what happened to them. They were like pieces on a chess board, wooden, lifeless and expendable. But not Castiel. Why? Let’s hope you keep him around long enough for us to figure it out.

11. Dani says:

Yes I have to believe that a character loved by so many fans (as he is despite what the haters want to believe) would be killed off in that way. The show dealt with Bela’s death better then that, and while I personally loved her, a lot of people as far as I am aware, didn’t.

• coyote says:

Well, Bela was awesome.

• Terri says:

And so was Cas to many people. Just because he wasn’t to you, doesn’t mean you should disregard other’s opinions. Good character writing is not a fact for anyone, regardless of how someone personally feels. There are people out there who believe Gandalf was a badly written character, just as there are many more who do not. And saying someone deserves spite for liking Castiel is probably one of the most ignorant thing about unfortunately all fandoms in general, not just this one.

12. Dani says:

Exactly. A show about two characters is not going to survive into seven seasons. The X Files didn’t. It had more characters then just Mulder and Scully. Misha/Cas doesn’t have to be a regular, but the boys need people besides themselves.

13. Helli McLaren says:

Okay people.
    I an sick and tired of people bitching about the existence of Cas.
    “The show is just about Sam and Dean!”: Yeah, right. If the story was just about two guys, literally, … how do you imagine that?!
    “They should have killed off Cas way sooner. He’s not part of the brotherhood!”: MEEEP. Wrong. Dean said so himself. And: If you just accept blood relatives, go kill off Bobby too while you’re at it.
    “We want the show to go back to it’s roots”: again, how do you imagine that? seriously people, after everything, it is just not possible to bring it back to “it’s roots”. And just FYI Spn’s roots were “two boys’s on a quest to find their father”. Could be a little bit harder now, don’t you think so? A TV show NEEDS a storyline. And a storyline is evolving. There is no going back. It’s like life.
    Intersting facts:
    Even though everybody seems to be bitching about the “angel-storyline” Season 4 and 5 actually had an increase in viewership. Season 6 and 7 have a decrease. And now, that they “killed off” Cas (one of the most loved Characters in the show)… how do you think it will go on? Do you think the viewers that left during the angel-storyline are suddenly going to come back, now that Cas is killed?
    A TV show needs viewers. It’s a fact. Killing Cas won’t do them good. That’s a fact.
    And if you bitch about people not being “real fans” when they leave the show if Cas is proclaimed dead, go look at yourself for bitching about a 3-year-long storyline about Cas.
    THAT is not being a fan.

• coyote says:

I think your mom needs to give you a glass of milk and put you to bed. You’re clearly overtired.

• lilly_anne says:

I think you troll because you can’t come up with a decent or even bad argument to defend your position and it makes you feel inferior so you have to be a little bitch to make yourself feel better. Classic.

• timshel says:

You are just as bad. Stop replying to their every comment. You get pretty riled up, while coyote just keeps on having a laugh at your expense. At least coyote is entertaining. You’re just a bit sad.

• artemisdesari says:

Seconded, Helli

14. Comma says:

It would just kill Sera to admit that Castiel was one of DEAN’S best friends ever, specifically Dean. At least Ben Edlund had allowed room in his episode last week and Jensen Ackles had no such quibbles portraying it as such–he was simply amazing in every aspect of the episode from his quiet grief over Castiel to worry about Sam to his trying to keep it all together himself to the way he talked Sam down(yay for Ben remembering Dean’s time in Hell and putting it to good use while telling us something pretty chilling about what Dean was going through all ALONE all this time yet) to his desperation at the end with Bobby missing and them being taken to the Leviathan hospital.

I am not a Castiel fan per se – but I am a Dean fan and Dean and Castiel shared a very special bond that Sera is constantly trying to either ignore or minimize or worse yet trying to include Sam when it’s just not there, no matter how she tried to force it, which I think is ultimately what signed Castiel’s death warrant.

She couldn’t figure out a way to make him Sam’s instead of Dean’s(because that’s what the show does, it takes from Dean to give to Sam and leaves Dean with the nothing but angsting about Sam) so she got rid of him. Why she couldn’t accept Castiel and Sam being a couple of people who Dean cared deeply about and who didn’t dislike each other but weren’t very close to each other is beyond me? There was still drama to work with there, like hey what about Sam being jealous – he spent his whole life with Dean being pretty much focused on Sam, Sam the center of his universe, Dean having a real true deep bond with someone else that Sam didn’t share? That could have been excellent growth for Sam in the same way that Dean forming a tight bond with Castiel would be growth for him. Instead she tried to minimize Dean’s bond and exagerrate Sam’s.

• raeleee514 says:

In the interview Sera says Castiel is one of Dean’s best friends ever, she includes Sam, but that is true. But she says it. So don’t act like she doesn’t know. Also read her actual interview and not the reporters of the interview interpretation of the interview to cause drama. Sera Gamble NEVER says Castiel is Dead.
      Ever. She’s tricky and ambiguous, she says the boys are dealing with the death, she says the vessel got stewed in the water, and she admits MIsha is back in anoather form at some point. Which I believe.

But she never definitively says that Castiel is dead-dead. Once. Ever.

• lilly_anne says:

Nope, she always says “Sam and Dean”. I wonder if it causes her physical pain to actually talk about Dean without dragging Sam into it. There are several Sam girls like that around. They yell at people in deancentric discussions for not talking about Sam. It’s hilarious and Gamble just falls into everyone of those stereotypes which they so unironically mocked with the character of Becky.

15. Ariel says:

I’m not even reading the comments anymore because the Castiel hate makes me really sad.
    I just wanna say that I hope Cas comes back in the same vessel because I love both character and actor.
    Supernatural isn’t the same without Castiel and Misha. There’s no going back you guys. It’s like a pokemon evolution.

16. Tariq says:

When watching the episode I always believed Cas to be alive in some form or another but after reading this its pretty sad to hear that he is in fact dead!

Hope he some how comes back, I find his character to be my 2nd favorite on the show after Dean.

• Dani says:

Don’t worry – Sera didn’t say anywhere that he was dead, even if the lead-in from the reporter did. She seems to be more implying that Sam and Dean think he’s dead and beyond that… well, she’s not telling. We’ll just have to wait and see. ;)

17. sam says:

I’m glad Castiel is gone, he’s been a tired character for a long time now. I’m actually getting excited about this season, it’s been really good so far!

18. Dani says:

Regardless whether you like him or not, people did, and it’s rude and spiteful to be hateful about a character’s death that people cared about. How would you like it if that turned around on you?

• coyote says:

As someone who has loved and seen a tremendous amount of hate towards Bela, Anna, and Jo, the same thing has happened to me. And all I can say is: Honestly, if I liked a character as poorly written as Castiel, I’d deserve the spite.

So cheers!

• raeleee514 says:

Castiel was not poorly written. And as someone who loved Bela, Anna and Jo as well, all I can say to you after seeing all your behavior in this thread is you are acting like a spiteful child. Why not just respect the Castiel fans grief?

Not that he is dead, the damn interview doesn’t even SAY THAT. The reporters really should read it themselves.

• sam says:

I think Castiel was badly written, tbh. It’s a matter of opinion, mostly.

• Rachel says:

Because he/she is a spiteful child? It’s sad that people can’t respect the grief of other fans of the same show.

But yeah, to me, this article pretty much confirmed that Cas isn’t dead per say. And regardless of any character, season six was badly written from plotholes. Plain and simple. It’s been two episodes of season seven so far, neither have impressed me in terms of seasons 1-5, but it’s still new, and my opinion has yet to form on whether it is a strong season or not.

• raeleee514 says:

Season 6 was the most uneven season, I agree. I LOVED the premiere and the 2nd episode, myself. I’m happy with the show.

I’m actually really irked with TVLine for putting it in peoples head Sera said Castiel is dead in the interview because then they are seeing her say that, when she didn’t. It’s pissing me off more than coyote’s pettiness, actually. Reporters should be more responsible and actually report the words the showrunner gives them to report and not put their own interpretation onto them.

In the life of the show Sam and Dean are dealing with the death of Castiel, one of their best friends…. IS not Castiel is Dead.

Putting the words his death in brackets shows me that Sera never said the words his death in regards To Castiel also.

It’s sad that so many aren’t picking it up, and just reaction from outrage at how in your face and la la la I don’t care that your favorite character is dead and when the actor returns he’ll be evil.

Then add in the Castiel haters partying and being disrespectful idiots.

GRRRR.

19. Dani says:

It was Sam centric. Only the last three episodes were Cas centric and that was cause of the out of nowhere, Cas is behind everything plot. Most of the season was The Sam show. First it was about him being soulless, then it was about his Wall breaking down and having to prevent that. Season six was badly written due to dropped plotlines, introducing the Campbells whom next to no one cared about, trying to force the Dean/Lisa storyline making him OOC to both Dean/Sam fans and Dean/Cas fans and back and forth direction. There were good moments in it and good episodes but mostly a subpar season compared to the first five.

And again, just cause people are Cas fans, doesn’t mean they are shippers. Are all Sam/Dean fans Wincest shippers? No. That kind of generalization is ignorant.

20. Amber says:

It’s sad to see Castiel go, for now. This show was not built on Cas’ character alone. He has been an valued addition to the show but this show is in fact about Dean and Sam’s journey. Everyone else is there to help their story along. Cas’ story is important so far in as it is relevant to Dean and Sam’s story.
    I do think that shows do end up with fans that are in fact temporary because their loyalty depends on one character. It doesn’t mean the person is less of a fan during that time. Just not necessarily the same dedication to the overall story/show. *shrugs* It happens.

21. Belinda says:

Wow, thanks a lot for telling us that the lame two minute exit of Castiel before the title card even showed up is it, way to disappoint the fans who had hopes in you. If that’s the lame exit you are giving a character who has had so much impact, then I’m done. You want to keep making your show, sure, go ahead, but I’ve had enough of being strung along and spat on.

• raeleee514 says:

reread the article, Sera never said Castiel was dead. the reporters are the ones who somehow think she did but she didn’t, they are trying to cause drama though why they would want to with this fandom I don’t know.

22. Dani says:

Yes if I remember correctly Jensen Ackles made some comments about being unhappy with the story line for his character last year. Understandable as most fans were unhappy with it as well. Cas fans can love the brothers just fine, some Cas fans actually love the brothers more, it’s all to personal taste. But many fans don’t like seeing both Dean and Cas thrown under a bus for Sam. All three characters are loved and it’s not too much for both sides of the fandom to ask that all three loved characters be treated with the respect they deserve. Cas wasn’t treated with respect, whether you love him or not. If Cas’ story line had been Sam’s storyline, I’m sure Sam fans would not be happy.

• coyote says:

Sam was never going to be given Castiel’s storyline because Sam was always an important character tbh.

• Dani says:

And so was Cas despite your hate for him. Sam was given a similar storyline in season four. Many Sam fans were hurt and outraged by the fandom’s treatment of him. Similar to what you are doing now in your lack of respect for Cas fans.

• Dani says:

Totally agree. The fall back response for a lot of people when anyone is unhappy with the storyline or where things went for Cas seems to be, “But the show is about SAM AND DEAN!” Yeah, Sam and Dean are the heart of the show, but Cas and Bobby are also important to the story and to a lot of the fans and there’s nothing wrong with that. Caring about characters who aren’t Sam and Dean doesn’t make you a bad fan. A lot of the fans upset over Cas would be just as pissed if they felt like Sam or Dean weren’t getting a fair shake.

• Madelyn says:

You remember incorrectly. Jensen never said he was unhappy with Dean’s storyline. My friend was at the 2010 Chicago con where he went out of his way to state that comments he made were taken out of context by a blogger visiting the set. He never said he was unhappy.

23. AiE says:

Pffft, death pretty much means nothing on the show at this point. I mean, Dean was very dead at the end of S3 and look how long that lasted? Everyone is really, REALLY overreacting.

• raeleee514 says:

Also, pfft Sera Gamble doesn’t once say Castiel is dead-dead in that article. It is the TVline people who say she did, when she doesn’t at all.

So pfft on the idea at all.

24. Dani says:

So was Spike in Buffy only meant to be a small character. The fans and the writers and cast loved him so much he was made a central character in season four. So yes Cas was intended to only be a minor, but it wasn’t only the fans love for the character that kept him in the show. Otherwise Gabriel would still be around. Ash would still be around. Many other characters would still be around.

25. Jenn says:

As much as I adored Cas’ character, all good characters come to an end. And as this show is constantly changing, we’ve seen many characters come and go. This season is fuzzy yes, as well as last season, but it wouldnt be Supernatural. If no one died, came back, etc. Just because “Castiel” is dead doesnt mean that his character wont be revived…maybe by not spilling EVERY bean we will have more edge-of-the-seat things to look forward to.

26. Dani says:

It might be or it might not be. IMO two episodes if far too soon to tell whether a season of any television show will be good or not.

27. Harry Dresden says:

Oh well. I liked Castiel, but I’ll deal with it. He’s a fictional character, and most characters show up post-mortem on this show anyway, so I don’t see any reason to get ticked off about it. Too bad though…

28. ovent says:

I can bet the Leviathan boss is misha (castiel)

29. Dani says:

That was what made me love Cas in season four before I truly became a fan of his character himself. That Dean was finally given someone to turn to and care about and who cared about him, outside of Sam. Sam was given Jess, outside of his family and his hunting circle, and Dean deserved Cas. He deserved a best friend and to have someone more to care about then just Sam. The fact that he now has no one, regardless of whether or not Cas (or Bobby) are dead, is a tragedy in itself.

• amber says:

This. I don’t understand why people are so determined to have the boys ONLY have each other. As we’ve seen, when it’s just them, and really really bad stuff happens, one of them always ends up suffering, either physically or mentally or more often than not, emotionally. And, more often than not, it’s usually Dean. Which was fine, for the first few seasons, but honestly i would LOVE to see Jensen do something that ISN’T angsting about Sam. For instance, seeing him deal with the fallout of Sam not knowing what’s real and what isn’t, and having to realize that as far as he knows, Cas is gone would make for a great episode, and i hope they do it. I started watching this show in the middle of season 5, (now to some people that doesn’t make me a fan, to which i say kindly sod off) and then mainlined seasons 1-4 to catch up, and i LOVED IT when it was just the 2 of them, but what got me hooked on the show, was and still is Casitel and the interaction between the three of them. As friends, as fellow soldiers, and as part of Team Free Will. And i say, you can’t say that Cas meant NOTHING, when he was the one who gripped Dean tight and raised him from perdition. He was the one who saved him, and he was the one who fought for them and rebelled and gave and gave and GAVE for them and to them, and to have the significance of that dismissed as “BAH, he’s not a brother, he doesn’t COUNT” is disrespectful to his character and to Dean and Sam themselves, because while they may not have ever said it, it was clear that they valued him. A lot. And Also, Dean thought of him as a brother/family member. So, there’s that.

30. Rachel says:

You mean like Spock didn’t have an expressions? They’re not human characters. They’re suppose to have trouble expressing emotions.

31. LinnKrushnic says:

First of all, nobody have to love Cas, but show some respect is not bad ok?
    And I ask myself… WHEN THE SHOW WAS ONLY ABOUT SAM E DEAN?
    There’s so much more characters that are amazing and without them The winchesters would be dead and buried.
    Besides, if is just about Sam e Dean, take the others characters out and just let the two, looking at the ceiling of some motel with nothing else to do…
    And the people that judged the fans who said that will stop watching SPN just because Cas is dead… Imagine if Dean or your favorite character dies and never come back, the show still would be the same and all the blahblablah?

32. Dani says:

Thank you. I will be pissed if this is Cas’ final sendoff because it would be a horrible, disrespectful one to his fans, but that will not make me stop watching the show. What will is if it stays the subpar writing it was last season. I’ve had a lot of favorite characters killed off in shows, actually it seems to be a theme for me. I kept watching those shows anyone because they were still the shows I loved. But season six was not the same as the first five seasons to me, not due to anyone character, but due to dropped plotlines and out of no where story points.

33. Sharyn says:

Actually this decision made perfect sense. This is a show is about 2 brothers, not 2 brothers and their awkwardly funny angel sidekick. THe show was on the 3 amazing season without Cass and as much as I enjoyed Misha, I am glad he is gone in this incarnation.

34. Jess says:

If Castiel is dead… which I strongly doubt mainly because ‘death by lake’ really? Come on he needs a better send off then that something with a bang which will be rememberable and worth it. Even if Castiel is gone I’ll carry on watching because I love the show although I don’t want the writers to replace Castiel with a different Supernatural creature because they need that extra space filled. But I wouldn’t mind the show to go back to it’s roots like in season 1-3 you know the whole Sam & Dean traveling around and the season being around them only. Not revolving around Sam having problems with his flashbacks and Dean losing Lisa & Ben, but the good old times before demon blood and Angels came into the mix. It would be refreshing in a way. Don’t get me wrong I am a big Castiel fan I adore him, and will be gutted if he’s gone, but like they say no one ever truly stays dead in Supernatural and I’m a firm believer Castiel will be back whether it’s temporarily or permanently.

Also I think it’s about time Dean gets a season revolving around him because season 1 was finding Papa Winchester and Sam wanting Papa Winchester’s forgiveness for disappearing or whatever. Season 2 Sam finding out he’s a psychic kid, Season 3 Dean dying but Sam having to cope with Dean dying. Season 4 Sam’s demon blood issue, Season 5 Dean & Sam vessels, Season 6 Sam not having his soul and Castiel working with Crowley. So from what I’ve heard is that hopefully Season 7 will focus on Dean a little more because it’s about time really, Dean needs some love as well.

In the end it’s a wait and see and I will be intrigued to see what happens.

35. Dani says:

At the end of this episode, Dean said if Bobby was in that crater, he was going to suicide. And that’s healthy? That is why I don’t get the attitude it only has to be Dean/Sam. What will happen to Dean if Sam dies, and everyone else is gone? He’ll most likely kill himself. Not a healthy, good thing to do and I love Dean the most, so that would upset me more then Cas’ ‘death’ upset me.

The boys need other people to care about besides each other. Cas, Bobby , Jo, Ellen, Ash and all of them. Not just loved by the fans, but they were loved and lost by the boys as well. Ok, not Bobby and maybe not even permanent for Cas yet, but if it ever happens that both of them are truly gone for good? The boys logically wouldn’t last much longer either, especially if something happened to one of them.

And I watched from the first season. Loved the first season but it was not and has never been my favorite season of the show.

36. Jackie says:

Sera Gamble really is out of touch. She’s so obsessed with Sam she just destroyed a beloved and popular character and eliminated the one true friend Dean had. I guess she thinks Sam fans alone will keep the ratings up. Not likely. Some fans actually want more complex relationships than Dean obsessing over Sam year after year with no one to infere with him thinking about Sam 24/7. I’m done with the show however. There are better things on TV. I guess Gamble won’t care if a few hundred thousand viewers jump ship as long as she has The Sam Show.

• Madison says:

Then don’t let the door hit you. I’m tired of the eager Dean fans who always complain that Dean doesn’t have a storlyine. Bull pucky!

How many well liked characters did Kripke kill off? Andy, Ellen, Ash, to name a few. Where was all the self righteousness for those characters? I’m not happy that Cas might be dead, I say might be because Sera never said he was dead, but I’m not going to abandon SN over it.

• Jackie says:

Right. Because a show that is down to 1.7 in the ratings can afford to have more viewers walking out the door. The goal should be keeping as many viewers as possible. Not driving more away.

• Madison says:

But it shouldn’t be about catering to a small minority of disgruntled fans who can’t see the bigger picture b/c they are laser-focused on one character.

• Kiley says:

Agreed. So someone should tell Sera Gamble to stop doing that because that’s what she’s doing now with The Sam Show.

37. Jackie says:

Lots of TV shows have featured better and closer sibling relationships than Sam and Dean. Heck Wizards of Waverly Place has done a better job of making Alex and Justin close than Supernatural has ever done. The difference between other shows and Supernatural is only Supernatural seems to think that having other friends and family would lesson the brother’s bonds. Which means that they aren’t and never have been very close. They only stay together because they have no one else. They don’t have a variety of relationships and still choose to work together and hang out together as friends. Elinating all the other characters has really highlighted how pathetic these two guys are and how weak their bond is.

• Singer says:

You said it all Jackie. The show writers are bound and determined to keep just sam and dean because that is the only way they know how to write their bond. With them sad and miserable and clinging to each other like barnacles. Not out of love but out of isolation. It’s sick and a horrible characterization.

38. Freedomwatcher38 says:

TVLine do me a favor and stop posting about SPN all together, the rabid fan base ruins it for everyone and they don’t appreciate it.

The rest of us normal fans would like to have a great conversation about the show on these threads, but they tend to get ran over by the rabid half of the fanbase that thinks they are the end all and be all of the fandom.

K, thanks!

• Moht says:

Yes to that. I’m ashamed to be part of the fandom when I see fans behaving like that, seriously. I sure hope that most of them are really, really young because otherwise it would be sad and pathetic.

• miss scarlet says:

ditto. this wackos in this fandom is why non-SPN-watchers make fun of the show. they can’t imagine the show is good if people like these people watching it. also, why do these people feel the need to constantly talk about how they are no longer watching the show? we get it. you’re not watching. so go not watch and shut up about it on the internet.

39. Tera says:

how can you make cas human his vessel is dead..or shall we stick a plastic moustache on misha and pretend…if they bring cas/misha back I will stop watching the show…whats the point he’ll be the lead character and sam and dean they will be where?….it will be the castiel show not supernatural
    NUFF SAID
    Tera

40. Hannah says:

okay, reading through these comments, I’ve seen a lot of hate and i don’t understand it. At the end of the day we’re all a family, and I get it, families fight, but can we just respect everyone else’s opinions? I know there are a lot of fans out there who couldn’t be happier that Cas is dead, but many of us just got our hearts ripped out and shredded into a million pieces and need each other more than ever.
    Also, I have to say that i get why a lot of people are giving up on the show. I’m considering it myself. Now, I haven’t been watching since the very first episode, but that doesn’t make me any less of a fan. I’m just sick and tired of the writers giving us brilliant characters that we love (and Sam and Dean obviously care about)and just killing them off. Castiel was an amazing character and wether some people like it or not, he became a very essential part of the show; he became a member of Sam and Dean’s family (which when it comes down to it is pretty much what the show is all about, family). For once in their lives can’t these boys just have a friend that sticks around?
    Also, I feel like Cas fans have been disrespected in the way that Cas was killed off. They made him the big baddie, made him get possessed by the Leviathons (which I have to admit, BEAUTIFUL acting on Misha’s part), then just drove him into a lake where he dissolved (exploded?) into ink with no real keepsake but a soggy trenchcoat washing ashore. WTF? After everything that Cas has done for the boys I think he deserved more than that. They could have atleast just made him human! Just put him in the background! He wouldn’t even need any screentime, just knowing that he’s alive would be a comfort. I really don’t appreciate where Sera Gamble is taking the show, and I really hope she’s not just dangling the prospect of Misha coming back to keep the Cas fans watching, we’ve been through enough already.

41. Jeff says:

Supernatural fans make me embarrassed to be a Supernatural fan.

First of all, I’m a Cas fan. I consider him to be one of the brothers, along with Bobby. I want him as a regular going on regular monster hunts on a weekly basis with the boys. He’s a fantastic character and Misha is one of the most underrated actors on television.

But you Cas fans are so out of your minds, it’s not based in any sort of reality. You’re laughing at the anti-Cas fans, saying that ratings are down because of no Cas? Uh, except that the ONLY TWO EPISODES AIRED SO FAR both had Cas? And the first was completely based around him?

Why don’t you look at the facts before talking about things you don’t understand? Supernatural lost the Smallville lead-in. CW ratings in general are down. It’s on Friday night. Fringe on Fox is doing absolutely terrible too. But Supernatural isn’t in danger because there are shows on the channel doing worse.

Oh, but the anti-Cas fans aren’t getting off easy. There’s so much unnecessary anger in some of your words, it’s embarrassing to read. As in, I feel embarrassed for you. You don’t have to like Cas. It’s fine. But he FACT of the matter is that the introduction of Cas and the angel storyline breathed new life into a show that felt like it didn’t have a lot of direction in seasons 3, something that Eric Kripke himself said he felt as well. Seasons 4 and 5 are widely acknowledged to be the peak of the show and Cas is far more loved than he is hated.

Those are facts. Again, you don’t have to like Cass. That’s perfectly fine! But BOTH sides need to stop stretching things to fit their own personal truths.

Me? I’m thinking/hoping that LeviaCas is the boss of the Leviathans. My personal hope for this arc is that when we see LeviaCas again, he continues with the incredibly fun Angelus/Joker-esque attitude we saw a hint of in the premiere, with Cas being saved at the end. And then I hope that in the potential season 8, we see a human Cas tagging along with the brothers. But that’s just me.

42. Dani says:

Worry at his treatment and how he would go out. Personally I didn’t watch live because of the fact I wanted to spoil myself on what was happening first. His sudden storyline at the end of the last season was badly tacked on and so fans of his were worried it would be more of the same. That is why.

43. Scott A. says:

Should have had a pair of ash wings on a dead fish that washed up on shore.

44. jezabel says:

pulling Cas from a dominant position and thrusting him into a shady body of water was the WORST possible thing the writers could have done as an ending for the whole “Cas Saga”. Cas has made this show worth watching since his arrival in season 4, bringing his gorgeously understated brand of humor to the set and giving fans a reason to smile again. the non-stop bickering of the brothers had become so tiring, hell, emotionally draining, that it was a relief to have a new character in the mix.It is my personal belief that they are pulling him out of the whole ordeal because his level of talent far outshines anything CW is used to dealing with. He makes the brothers look as though they should be working on Seseme Street. Finally we have a fully fleshed out character, who consistently shows an unending variety of emotions…so of course sera decides to snatch him away from us all. seasons 4-6 will never cease to be my favorite times during Supernatural, and nothing will change the fact that Misha Collins blows everyone out of the water any time he steps foot on a set. i suspect sera will live to regret letting go of the one true piece of talent Supernatural ever laid hands on.

45. Dawn says:

I realize everyone’s ‘mileage’ varies, but for me the show isn’t about two or three hunters or one angel; it’s not about which characters are better. It’s about family. It’s about what happens to the people who are part of that family. It’s visceral and raw. It takes no prisoners and goes down swinging. It’s about how that family grows, evolves, falls, and rises.

For me, Castiel will always be a major part of the SPN mythology. He had an amazing and rich arc woven like a thread throughout the SPN tapestry and Misha Collins deftly handled that role with elan, gravitas, humor, and terrifying glee. He was always a joy to watch. Sure, IF this is indeed the end for Cas I wish he had been given a better send-off. Both Castiel and Misha deserved that much, IMHO.

While I’ve never been to an SPN con, I count myself blessed to meet many friends who are an extension of that ‘family’. Fans who have done awesome things like help strangers by paying for and sending SPN TV Guides to fans in other countries. Fans who help strangers in their own city or half a world away in Haiti. For me, it isn’t about which camp is ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ because such arguments have a tendency to sow hate, hurt, and rip the fandom to shreds. It’s about people who are inspired by a work of fiction and continue to take that concept of family to an unimaginable level. For that I am deeply grateful for this show and its amazing cast and crew.

46. Tammy says:

Holy crap people! Why is it that fandom can’t keep it’s crap together? Enough with the whining and bitching about Castiel. At some point that character was going to become irrelevant in the story. This show needs to grow and evolve. As do the characters. And yes I am going to use the “If you’re a true fan” thing… You need to put your faith in the writers. It’s their story to tell not ours. You can’t have it your way. And if you want to throw a tantrum like a child kicking and screaming on the floor because a beloved character has been killed off… then go. Not taking away anything from Castiel/Misha but there have been several characters on this show that I have adored that were killed off but I continued watching. It was in my opinion a natural progression for Castiel to do what he did in season 6. If minions want Misha on the show they will follow him in what ever form he so happens to take. He will never not be a presents in fandom. He is and will always be part of our family. It is sad that Castiel is gone. I loved the character but such is life people. Suck it up. It’s not like this thing only happens on Supernatural. Beloved characters come and go. As far as ratings go… We’re doing ok. We need to get some of the Nielsen’s box viewers back to the show but for a Friday our numbers aren’t that bad. Plus the CW will take into account other factors outside the Nielsen’s ratings when it’s time to renew. Also our DVR #’s are high and very strong. Point being if you don’t want to watch the show for what ever reason please leave. Let the rest of us enjoy it. New fans are coming into the fold each and everyday due to our strong online presents. If you leave someone will take your place. Put on your big girl panties and suck it up… who knows you might even love the new character Misha is going to play more then the Cas.

• Jac says:

Yes the show does need to grow and evolve. And you do that by keeping characters and developing their relationships and stories. Not by killing them off so we are stuck with the Sam and Dean and the Impala we had in seasons 1-3. That’s not growing and evolving. It’s putting the show back into a rut it long should have grown out off.

• miss scarlet says:

How do you know they won’t introduce anyone new? Just because Cas isn’t there all the time doesn’t mean he’s gone or that nobody new is coming along or whatever.

All TV shows have characters that come and go. Get a grip and see what happens.

• Jac says:

Of course someone new will come along. But before they are fully developed and really a part of the brothers lives, they will then get killed off for shock value soon enough. It’s not just Cas. There’s also Ellen, Jo, Rufus, Ash, Pamela, Gabriel/Trickster and on and on.

• June says:

What’s the point of introducing someone new? They’ve killed everyone that comes in contact with the Winchesters so there’s zero point in getting attached to a new character.

47. daddyb says:

JUMPED.
    THE.
    SHARK.

About 2 seasons ago, or less.
    I keep watching, hoping for better, and it’s not happening. As it is I can’t get 20 minutes into any one show and I start jumping forward on the remote to speed things up. All the hand-wringing and soap-opera timing is driving me nuts.

• Jeff says:

Haha, no. There’s not even any logic behind this. The show jumped the shark in season 5, one of its most acclaimed seasons (right behind season 4)?

Yeah, uh, no.

48. Crazy bastard fan says:

Sits here and shakes my head. Once again, this fandom has gone off the deep end of what ever tidbit of information they have inferred from what ever interview a cast/crew member has given. It doesn’t seem to matter what is ACTUALLY said, the bashing and hating is instantaneous.

You know I started watching this show from the pilot because I was a fan of Jensen’s from Dark Angel and was thrilled to see Jeffery Dean Morgan was in as well. Didn’t know who Jared was but he slowly won me over and by season 2 I was firmly Bi-Winchester. Characters come and go forever changing the landscape of this fantastic show. Some are more prominent that others….Bobby and Castiel etc, whether you like it or not. This show has changed in 7 seasons. Each character has changed it whether they were on for a scene or a whole season. It will NEVER be the same show it was in Season 1. No show is the same after 7 seasons. People its not happening, there is no going back no matter how much you want it.

Personally I love Castiel and I will be sorry when he is permanently gone which I don’t think is the case yet. People we are only 2 episodes in. Even the PTB don’t know whats gonna happen months down the road. Those stories aren’t even written yet. Getting all up in arms over something that MAY or MAY NOT happen is pointless. This kind of craziness just makes our fandom look bad. Quite frankly all this gets us is bad publicity and that’s the last thing we need.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. Its just a TV show you know.

49. Marilyn says:

Actually, I think it was more disaffected Dean fans than Cas fans, not tuning in after long frustrations. It was visible in the summer, that it was happening.

50. Carrie says:

Gamble always succeeds in saying things in a way that really annoys the fandom, this interview is no different. She took Castiel away and her reasons are poor and unfounded. I hope the ratings suffer terribly. No Castiel, no care.