Ratings: Pan Am Flies Lower, 60 Minutes Surges

ABC’s Pan Am didn’t fly quite as high in its second outing. With 7.8 million total viewers and a 2.5 demo rating, the freshman drama this Sunday was down 30 and 19 percent, respectively. Not helping the show’s cause was lead-in Desperate Housewives (9 mil/2.9), which dipped 9 percent from its premiere.

60 Minutes, meanwhile, clocked in with a huge bump. Based on very preliminary data sure to be tweaked once football overrun is accounted for, the CBS newsmag surged 50 percent in the demo (hitting a 3.5) for Andy Rooney’s swan song.

Ratings: Showtime’s Homeland Spies Strong Debut, Dexter Premiere Delivers All-Time High

A few other quick notes, until firmer numbers trickle in:

* NBC Sunday Night Football again dominated the evening, with 17.7 million viewers and a 7.3 demo rating.

* Family Guy (6.9 mil/3.5) was the top-rated scripted entertainment program. Among Fox’s other animated fare, The Simpsons (6.12 mil/3.0) dropped 23 percent from its opener.

* Both The Good Wife (with a 2.1 rating) and CSI: Miami (2.3) appear to have landed in the general neighborhood of their week-ago premieres.

1. Alicia says:

TGW was fantastic (as usual) but the scheduling shift is already wearing on my nerves. If football keeps bumping everything I’m gonna have to give CBS a piece of my mind…

• Chris says:

Oh Mrs. Florrick don’t take your issues out on football.

• Bill says:

It was not football that causes the delay every Sunday, it was the Amazing Race. 60 Minutes started and ended on time. They should either edit the amazing race to fit in an hour or redo their schedule. I think this ultimately hurts the shows that follow them.

• elr says:

No, 60 Minutes ran over by 22 minutes, which pushed all the other shows back. And 60 Minutes ran over because of football. This also explains why their numbers are inflated.

• David says:

Not true. I started Amazing Race at 7, and 60 Minutes was still going until 24 minutes in. It was the *&#! football jacking up the schedule as usual.

2. Davey says:

Too bad about Pam Am. I only caught the end of the show but liked what I saw.

3. Wendy says:

I really like Pan Am. Is the show in danger? Its very frustrating to attempt to pick up news shows because so many of them end up canceled.

4. SK says:

I also am enjoying Pan Am, and am sorry to see it’s numbers are dropping. I hope it can maintain an audience – it’s the only thing I’m watching on Sundays.

5. Will says:

Pan Am us so refreshing! I love it! Great cast!

• Tarc says:

Pan Am has been my favorite new pilot so far (I’m guessing the Once Upon A Time will be on top after it’s debut). It’s gorgeous, stylish, and the script writing is terrific.

6. tp says:

I watched Pan Am completely out of boredom. It was actually pretty good. I added it to my series pass. I hope it stays the same quality wise. TGW was top notch as usual.

7. Lindr says:

I like Pan Am a lot….I hope it sticks around!! So far my shows are Pan Am, Revenge and Charlies Angels. ABC FTW!!!!

8. Tee says:

Missed TGW unfortunately. Saw it was starting 22 minutes late and went to do other stuff and completely forgot. Oh well, I’ll catch it when it hits OnDemand.

9. Sabrina says:

For those who like Pan Am, there is only one alternative. KEEP WATCHING! Don’t give up on it. Be part of the solution, not the problem. KEEP WATCHING. Show your support. KEEP WATCHING. I can’t stress it enough. Don’t let the haters have the victory. KEEP WATCHING!

10. Alex C says:

True to keep watching but people need to understand that EVERY show after its pilot has a decline so no doom and gloom yet! Keep watching cause “Pan Am” is a good show.

11. jake says:

i think in relation to it’s lead in — pan am is doing great. Wish they had ordered at least 13 episodes of brothers and sisters but what are you gonna do.

Once upon a time actually looks pretty good, but I wonder if ABC will give it any kind of push? Maybe put a special airing after dancing with the stars?

12. Hols says:

I’ve noticed the new thing when discussing which program is “Top-rated” is to go by the demo number, rather than the share or the total # of viewers. I, for one, would really appreciate a post breaking down the ratings system these days. Is the demo really all that matters?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The demo (18-49) really is the straw that stirs the drink for advertisers and thus most networks (though The CW, for example, tends to prize the younger 18-34 range). I like including/touting total viewers in my ratings rundowns because I for one find it interesting to note which shows are in fact gaining or losing total audience.

13. Matt says:

At this rate, Pan Am will be WAYYYYY below Brothers & Sisters… Should have given it a sixth season, you greedy ABC bitches!!

14. nivek says:

Maybe ABC should have not canceled Brothers&Sisters?? These networks need to learn to keep programs alone!!!

15. Reg says:

Ack, simpsons had one of the best episodes in years and Pam Am was good too…

16. Francisco says:

Pan Am = yawn

17. tu says:

Bring back Brothers & Sisters!!

18. Lisa says:

I don’t plan to watch Homeland because I can’t stand Claire Danes.

19. Elle says:

I liked the nostalgic look of Pan Am during it’s premiere, but nothing about it made me want to come back for more. I found the plot lines very cheesy and that’s about it. The look, the music and the attitude were spot on, but the story lines were to too fluffy.

20. Karen says:

I’ve been DVRing The Good Wife and I just relized I will probably only get to see half the show. Grrr! Really wish CBS had left TGW where it used to be instead of moving it to Sunday night.

21. Sean says:

I love The Good Wife, however, I HATE that it is on Sunday at 9. Move it to 10 or another night all together! Plus, please use Christin B., it is crazy that a group of writes can’t find something for a woman w/ that much talent! Give her something to do!!!

22. Kieran says:

Bring back Brothers and Sisters. Ditch Pan Am.